PDA

View Full Version : Syktyvkar, Komi Republic

cheese
27-05-2010, 00:34
Hi all,

I'm heading to Syktyvkar in the Komi Republic in a few weeks for work, and will be there for some time. I'd love to hear about any experiences people have had with that city (or region), anything from general impressions to things to watch out for, foods to try or restaurants to check out. Any festivals? Places to exercise?

Thanks everybody!

tvadim133
27-05-2010, 00:58
Do not expect a lot from the city.

1300-1500 km from Moscow.

It is not large from Russian point of view (about 250 000), though there are two theatres in the city (one is of Opera).

As for restaurants and clubs, there are some, but tthe level of them is too far from being high, to my mind, though I liked "Frau Martha" and "Launge" (nothing special, just good for drinking and eating at the same time).

I hope there are some people from this city, because my knowledge is of a person who went there just for 2 days only.

http://www.new-syktyvkar.ru/content/photo/

Max77
27-05-2010, 01:14
Hi all,

I'm heading to Syktyvkar in the Komi Republic in a few weeks for work, and will be there for some time. I'd love to hear about any experiences people have had with that city (or region), anything from general impressions to things to watch out for, foods to try or restaurants to check out. Any festivals? Places to exercise?

Thanks everybody!

Pros: The city is known for its universities, so most young men and women from the vicinity come to live and study there. Their temper not posh and not yet spoiled. You'll find that adorable!

Cons: BIG TIME!!! The vicinity is also known for its prison camps! Loads of them around. So guess where all released prisoners end up living? Right!
Just watch out and be carefull. Not only the prisoners are potential harm-makers, but youth as well, as they tend to copy criminal behaviour and manners!

andymackem
27-05-2010, 16:21
Hi all,

Thanks everybody!

Spent a day there in 2005 (long story). It didn't really grab my attention, to be honest and I wouldn't envy you spending a few weeks up there. The major employer is a paper firm (my friend works for them), and apart from that there's not a lot there. But I found the people friendly enough, although having a local to guide me helped a lot.

However I get the impression that there is some lovely countryside in the Komi Republic if you get a chance to explore. It looks like there could be lots of lakes and forests and stuff. That would be my pick if I was looking to fill in my time up there, especially at this time of year.