PDA

View Full Version : Oh...those Romans....



Wish1991
16-03-2005, 13:57
But it's OK to support other historical innaccuracies, like Mel's Passion....

Church fights Da Vinci Code novel

The Roman Catholic Church in Italy has spoken out against what it says are "shameful and unfounded lies" in the best-selling novel The Da Vinci Code.
Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, Archbishop of Genoa, broke the church's official silence on the controversial book.

Its story about the Church suppressing the "truth" that Jesus had a child with Mary Magdalene has convinced many fans.

But the cardinal's spokesman denied reports that the clergyman was asked by the Vatican to hit back at the book.

Carlo Arcolao told the BBC's News website that it had been the cardinal's own decision to make a public statement about the book.

Mr Arcolao confirmed that the cardinal told an Italian newspaper: "It astonishes and worries me that so many people believe these lies."

The archbishop told Il Giornale: "The book is everywhere. There is a very real risk that many people who read it will believe that the fables it contains are true."


The book's publishers Random House were currently unavailable for comment.
The Da Vinci Code, by US author Dan Brown, has been a publishing sensation around the world and is still in best-seller lists.

Its conspiracy theories and thriller style, in which two code-breakers try to track down the truth behind the Holy Grail, have caught the imaginations of millions.

Its central claim is that the Holy Grail is really the bloodline descended from Jesus and Mary Magdalene - which the Church is supposed to have covered up, along with the female role in Christianity.

Brown has previously said: "All of the art, architecture, secret rituals, secret societies, all of that is historical fact."

'Unmask lies'

On Wednesday, Cardinal Bertone will host a seminar called Storia Senza Storia (Story Without History) to rebut the claims.

He said he wanted "to unmask the lies" so readers could see how "shameful and unfounded" the book was.
The cardinal has been deputy to Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the man known as "the Pope's enforcer" and a possible successor to the pontiff.

As well as the original novel, published in 2003, another 10 books have been written to debunk its claims and a booming tourist industry has sprung up around its sites.

It is also being turned into a film starring Tom Hanks, Jean Reno and Audrey Tautou. Publisher Transworld was unavailable for comment.

Random
16-03-2005, 14:03
I mean, what have the Romans ever done for us !!

:D

Chiara
16-03-2005, 14:05
So it's only the Da Vinci code that discredits the Vatican? Hmmm, I thnk they do a pretty good jpb of that themselves.

peyote
16-03-2005, 14:09
"The book is everywhere. There is a very real risk that many people who read it will believe that the fables it contains are true."

the bible? :D

Wish1991
16-03-2005, 14:12
Well...it is true they say if you read it in aramaic...and take it with a heavy dose of salt...LSD...hallucinogenic mushrooms...and a bottle of camagon....

peyote
16-03-2005, 14:15
Originally posted by Wish1991
Well...it is true they say if you read it in aramaic...and take it with a heavy dose of salt...LSD...hallucinogenic mushrooms...and a bottle of camagon.... too bad i'm missing the samagon bottle ;)

ghost 6-3
16-03-2005, 14:15
Isn't it amazing that western society was able to develop in spite of the teachings of the bible. Imagine if it never were written - wouldn't life be so much better now!

Wish1991
16-03-2005, 14:16
I just need the salt!

aysihsK
16-03-2005, 14:19
Originally posted by ghost 6-3
Isn't it amazing that western society was able to develop in spite of the teachings of the bible. Imagine if it never were written - wouldn't life be so much better now!

wouldn't b worse? :D

Wish1991
16-03-2005, 14:22
Many of us would be Jewish.... Or pagan.... Oh wait...I already am!

aysihsK
16-03-2005, 14:29
I'm more curious bout what would've been written on $ instead of In God We Trust :D

Wish1991
16-03-2005, 14:32
In tree nymphs and fairies we trust?!? Or...if Judaism became the world faith, In Suffering We Trust?

aysihsK
16-03-2005, 14:34
I fink In Sun We Trust would sound more optimistic ;)

Actually I think that unlikely $ would've existed if there was no bible :D

Random
16-03-2005, 14:38
As a follower of the cult that regards 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' as a seminal work - may I suggest

In Aslan we Trust

:agree:

DJ Biscuit
16-03-2005, 14:41
Originally posted by Random
As a follower of the cult that regards 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' as a seminal work - may I suggest

In Aslan we Trust

:agree:

:agree: :agree: :agree:

aysihsK
16-03-2005, 14:43
well i'd post :agree: too if I new what/who is Aslan :confused:

DJ Biscuit
16-03-2005, 14:47
.

Random
16-03-2005, 14:47
Aslan (Turkish: lion) is a speaking character in C. S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia; he is a noble lion, appears in all seven books of the series, and acts as an allegorical Christ figure. In the course of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Aslan is put to death in the place of a traitor, is subsequently resurrected, and makes occasional appearances in the remaining books of the series. He appears as the creator of the land of Narnia in the prequel The Magician's Nephew. Throughout the series it is often repeated that he is "not a tame lion"; although at many times he is very gentle, loving and lovable, he is also powerful.

aysihsK
16-03-2005, 14:49
okey! :agree::agree::agree: then I will vote for him too! nice cat ;)

Chiara
16-03-2005, 14:50
He gets stuck in when he has to though, doesn't he? Go on Aslan, lad....

DJ Biscuit
16-03-2005, 14:53
The film will be out later this year, for the Christmas season I believe. As a huge fan of the books I am in two minds about watching it. I have the books here, in English if anyone wants to borrow...

Random
16-03-2005, 14:57
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0363771/


Romans to Narnia in one thread !

aysihsK
16-03-2005, 14:58
Originally posted by DJ Biscuit
The film will be out later this year, for the Christmas season I believe. As a huge fan of the books I am in two minds about watching it. I have the books here, in English if anyone wants to borrow...

http://www.rupoint.co.uk/images/smilies/yaya.gif if it's really exciting and not TOO thick :shame:

DJ Biscuit
16-03-2005, 14:59
I used to fancy the white witch.

http://dvddungeon.com/movies/film.php?2410

Random
16-03-2005, 15:10
Originally posted by aysihsK
http://www.rupoint.co.uk/images/smilies/yaya.gif if it's really exciting and not TOO thick :shame:

Me I'm saying nothing .....................

:shame: :eek: :shame:

aysihsK
16-03-2005, 15:21
Originally posted by Random

:shame: :eek: :shame:

erm clarify plzzzzzzz :D

koba65
16-03-2005, 15:27
Originally posted by aysihsK
http://www.rupoint.co.uk/images/smilies/yaya.gif if it's really exciting and not TOO thick :shame:


:ignore: :ignore: :ignore:

sparky
16-03-2005, 15:31
Originally posted by aysihsK
http://www.rupoint.co.uk/images/smilies/yaya.gif if it's really exciting and not TOO thick :shame:

:bookworm: :confused: :shhhhhh:

aysihsK
16-03-2005, 15:34
:eek: DJ!!! thanks I think it's too thick! ;) :D:D

Random
16-03-2005, 15:41
Originally posted by aysihsK
:eek: DJ!!! thanks I think it's too thick! ;) :D:D


:cool:

Maybe start with something slimmer and work your way up to something thicker ....

DJ Biscuit
16-03-2005, 15:43
Originally posted by aysihsK
:eek: DJ!!! thanks I think it's too thick! ;) :D:D

Sadly no one has ever said that to me before. :D :shame:

Cherry
16-03-2005, 16:14
Originally posted by DJ Biscuit
Sadly no one has ever said that to me before. :D :shame:

what were they saying??:shame: :D

DJ Biscuit
16-03-2005, 16:16
Originally posted by Cherry
what were they saying??:shame: :D

''Is that it?''

''Goodbye forever''

''That'll be $100''

Cherry
16-03-2005, 16:27
Originally posted by DJ Biscuit
''Is that it?''

''Goodbye forever''

''That'll be $100''

:eek: :shame:
i would never say that to a man!!!

they were not polite with you Biscuit:agree:

DJ Biscuit
16-03-2005, 16:28
I know, it's a veil of tears my life,I hardly know how I go on.

Random
16-03-2005, 16:41
Originally posted by DJ Biscuit
''That'll be $100''

Sounds reasonable .......

:D

DJ Biscuit
16-03-2005, 16:43
Originally posted by Random
Sounds reasonable .......

:D

I know, and they were a decent pair of shoes too.

aysihsK
16-03-2005, 16:46
Originally posted by DJ Biscuit
Sadly no one has ever said that to me before. :D :shame:

I said! :hooray: you know I luv ya, doncha?! :inlove: ;)

Larisa2005
21-03-2005, 13:35
I agree with Peyote
Christianity is all based on fables and legends, no need in listing them.
At least this book is an nice brain exercise... I enjoyed in on the airplane - it's a nice travelling companion, when you get sick of airplane magazines

Halyavshik
21-03-2005, 19:31
Originally posted by Random
Aslan (Turkish: lion) is a speaking character in C. S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia; he is a noble lion, appears in all seven books of the series, and acts as an allegorical Christ figure. In the course of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Aslan is put to death in the place of a traitor, is subsequently resurrected, and makes occasional appearances in the remaining books of the series. He appears as the creator of the land of Narnia in the prequel The Magician's Nephew. Throughout the series it is often repeated that he is "not a tame lion"; although at many times he is very gentle, loving and lovable, he is also powerful.

And, as DJ correctly points out, Aslan is widely regarded to have represented a Jesus-like figure. In the novel, Aslan is killed (not on a cross, but on an altar) and is resurrected three days later. There are more allusions to Christianity in L.W.W. than first meet the eye.

ghost 6-3
21-03-2005, 20:16
'More allusions to Christianity in L.W.W. than first meet the eye'

Sorry Halfasock, but Aslan is not just widely regard to have represented a Jesus-life figure. C.S. Lewis was probably the premier apologist of the last century. He wrote much more than just 'the Narnia tales', for example: Mere Christianity, The Problem of Pain, The Abolition of Man and The Screwtape Letters.

Halyavshik
21-03-2005, 23:07
Originally posted by ghost 6-3
Sorry Halfasock, but Aslan is not just widely regard to have represented a Jesus-life figure.

I was just sticking to topic, but yes, of course L.W.W and the rest of the Chronicles are rife with biblical allusion. Edmund plays a Judas like figure, The Witch is commonly regarded as a reference to Satan/temptation, and many parts of The Magician's Nephew are direct allusions to Genesis (the witch and the apple are likened to Eve and the Serpant).