PDA

View Full Version : Volgograd

light11
22-04-2010, 23:42
Volgograd is one of the most exciting cities in Russia. It must be fascinating there on the Victory Day.

yakspeare
22-04-2010, 23:54
not sure about exciting( i live in volgograd) but it is quite pleasant and certainly grows on you...a bit sleepy though but they certainly take the military seriously here and it is indeed a proud city.

tsarski
23-04-2010, 10:13
not sure about exciting( i live in volgograd) but it is quite pleasant and certainly grows on you...a bit sleepy though but they certainly take the military seriously here and it is indeed a proud city.

Could you tell us what are some of the sights and attractions of the city? What are the military museums like? I have been to the ones in St Petersburg, Moscow and Kiev.

yakspeare
23-04-2010, 12:06
rodina matb...kurgan is quite amazing statue which i probably think is a must see for all russians....it isnt the statue of liberty but it feels much the same and truly impressive and surreal to jog past it every day.

the best museum by far is panorama on the waterfront full of tanks and planes and built next to some old buildings destroyed in the war and preserved that way. very good.

the city is new, everything rebuilt in soviet archicture and there is lenin everywhere here...even the vokzal is impressive.

it is also very nice that the school children dress up in army uniform every day and "guard" with mock rifles the cenotaph at the alley of heroes...there are signs everywhere " Slava Gorod" and banners and flags...they do take it seriously down here.

Kartoshka
24-04-2010, 16:09
I went to Volgograd last year on 7th May and there were a lot of decorations up for Victory Day. I visited the war museum, Mamaev Kurgan (battle of Stalingrad memorial complex, including the enormous Rodina Mat statue yakspeare mentioned), and went for a boat ride on the river. I came down on the train from Moscow, spent one day in Volgograd, and then came back on a bus... however I do not recommend the bus! The road is very bumpy and I barely managed to sleep. The only advantage is that it's several hours quicker by bus than by train.