PDA

View Full Version : HDD recovery?

mido008
21-04-2010, 00:49
Hi,
do somebody know somebody/company who can help me to recovery my precious data from hard drive. I have/had the portable hard drive, once i disconnected it from laptop and next time it says that it has to be formatted before use.
I used it to backup everything and sadly enough it was the only place where are my pictures for last 10 years and so on, I know I should back up twice, but ...

So thanks for a helps, if its matter it is Western digital 500GB

M.

Remington
21-04-2010, 01:00
Use Ontrack Recovery or GetDataBack software to recover you files. Do not write anything to your external hard drive. Be sure you have space on your computer or 2nd external drive for it to copy the recoverable files.

mido008
21-04-2010, 18:05
Thanks, I will give it a shot, in a mean while I found a company here in moscow, certified by Western Digital http://www.mhdd.ru/en/contacts.shtml
so if this will not help, I will probably try that once, but their prices a bit scare me, but doesn't they say that the stupid things you have to pay :-(

Expat.IT
21-04-2010, 20:14
Does windows show total amount of hdd, it not it can be problems with usb controller within ext box. If it show correct size, than my advice to try some data recovery tools, ontrack recovery or other tools from hiren cd.

Remington
21-04-2010, 21:38
It's much cheaper to have the recovery software do the job. It's not that complicated if you have extra space on other drives.

I will assume you disconnected the USB drive immediately without properly disconnecting it. The computer needs to finish dumping all the data to the USB drive so you'll need to wait approximately 5 minutes, shutdown the computer to safely disconnect the USB drive or use the USB icon in the system tray (lower right screen) to disconnect properly without corrupting your drive.

FatAndy
22-04-2010, 10:46
2 mido008:
I know these guys, yes, they have not lowest prices at the market but at most cases they get result.
Data recovery isn't cheap occupation anyway.

cantunay
22-04-2010, 12:40
You can get to Garbushka with your computer and find one of the computer stores there. They will solve your problem in a half day:)

mido008
22-04-2010, 19:02
I will assume you disconnected the USB drive immediately without properly disconnecting it.

Yap that is exactly what I did, it just took so long at one moment and I was in hurry so I just disconnected it without asking.

I have a flash drives, which does not mind so I somehow presumed that the hard drive should survive it time to time as well, sadly I was mistaken

I tried that software one of you suggested "GetDataBack" and it found after 8 hours all my data so I start copying them and went to work, so I will see in evening how it goes. So I will luckily do not need that pricy profesionals.

Expat.IT
23-04-2010, 10:45
If you still need any help with hdd recovery I can run free tests for you and at convenient place for you. PM me in case of IT problem.

mido008
23-04-2010, 11:00
Hi,
I can happily report that thanks to "GetDataBack" I were able to recover almost everything only think which was demaged was 10 pictures, which I gues were still partialy in cash of the hard drive.

:fireworks:

so now I just goign to buy some RAID field to keep my data safe and dry ;-)

FatAndy
23-04-2010, 12:35
Congratulations!
But if you mention RAID - it doesn't help in such cases. RAID (levels 1 and higher) helps only if one of HDDs is dead. To protect cache content you'll need special backup battery (BBU), as it usually done at advanced RAID controllers. The simplest controller with BBU will have RRP around $600.
See RAID tutorial/explanations here:
http://www.acnc.com/04_00.html

Remington
23-04-2010, 14:37
RAID will not protect your data from viruses, trojans or loss of power. You still will need to do the backups regardless. I use GoodSync and it synchronize my RAID drive and external backup hard drive. It backup any changes, files or folders, both ways perfectly without backing up the whole thing every time I perform the backups.

FlakeySnowballer
27-04-2010, 21:45
2 mido008:
I know these guys, yes, they have not lowest prices at the market but at most cases they get result.
Data recovery isn't cheap occupation anyway.

Just interesting for the outdoor hard drive 500gb how much it is?

FlakeySnowballer
28-04-2010, 10:23
Just interesting for the outdoor hard drive 500gb how much it is?

I mean an internal hard drive

FatAndy
28-04-2010, 11:02
AFAIK they have no capacity-connected pricing and it doesn't depend on HDD connection type:
http://www.mhdd.ru/price.shtml

b_omar
28-04-2010, 11:10
Is this getdataback free or?
where can I download?

FatAndy
28-04-2010, 12:01
It is not free, but shareware. Search for three words with 2 spaces between ;)

retype
28-04-2010, 20:34
in novoslobodskaya they recover for few money. there are some computer engineering students in the same building with shokolanidsa..

phawley
29-04-2010, 11:00
Spinrite (http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm) is an excellent solution too as you boot into it, you can repair at varying levels depending on the problem. I have a copy and licence is flexible in that I can loan it to people for one time uses, it has saved my bacon on more than one occasion especially on what appear to be dead drives when in reality they have just been very close to end of life, long enough to get the data off the drive that is for sure. It can also make the drive perfectly usable if it isn't close to being dead.

Drop me a PM if you want to try it out, or I can do it for you.

mido008
30-04-2010, 15:42
Is this getdataback free or?
where can I download?

it is not for free, but it is worthy of the money ;-)
you get shareware which will do the analyses and tell you the results, but before it will allow you to copy the data to safe place you will be asked fol licence

the link was already posted by Andy.

mido008
30-04-2010, 15:45
I mean an internal hard drive

I was told a quation starting from 10.000 RUB for NTFS drive with some cripted files, they said that they will see and call me if it will look for more, or less, but as you already know, I did not go for it on the end