PDA

View Full Version : Belarussia Visas

Macdonald
20-04-2010, 11:34
Can anybody help? I need to travel to Belarussia at short notice but have no way of getting a visa in time. Does anybody know if passports of passengers on trains coming from Russian to Belarussia checked either at the border or on arrival at train stations in Belarussia.

SV1973a
20-04-2010, 11:38
There are no passport checks at the Russian-Belarusian border, if you travel by train.
However, if you need to stay in a hotel in Belarus, they will check your passport in the hotel. I suppose they will report you to migration authorities if you are illegal in the country.

SV1973a
20-04-2010, 11:42
Provided you have a valid Russian visa, and a passport that allows you to travel to Poland, Baltic States, Ukraine, ... you can apply for a TRANSIT visa for Belarus. This gives you the right to travel through Belarus in 1 or 2 days.
They can give you an express visa, the same day, but it comes at a price of 350 EUR. With this visa you can travel to Belarus, but you should leave the country at another point than the point of entry (leave via the Baltic states, Poland or Ukraine).

ReallyGreatConcerts
20-04-2010, 14:20
There are no passport checks at the Russian-Belarusian border, if you travel by train.

Since when? My passport was checked at the Belarus/Russia border when travelling to Berlin last year by train.

SV1973a
20-04-2010, 14:26
Since when? My passport was checked at the Belarus/Russia border when travelling to Berlin last year by train.

I travelled to Cologne by train in May 2009.
No passport control nor customs at the Russian-Belarus border !!!
There was border control only at the Belarus-Poland border, first by Belarusians, and on the other side by the Polish. The Belarusians were quite nice, but the Polish were bastards.

ReallyGreatConcerts
21-04-2010, 03:05
I travelled to Cologne by train in May 2009.
No passport control nor customs at the Russian-Belarus border !!!
There was border control only at the Belarus-Poland border, first by Belarusians, and on the other side by the Polish. The Belarusians were quite nice, but the Polish were bastards.

I'm sure that's entirely true! But my Belarus Transit Visa was checked and rubber-stamped by the Belarus Border Guards :( I have it in my passport still, so I know I'm not imagining this ;)

SV1973a
21-04-2010, 09:09
I'm sure that's entirely true! But my Belarus Transit Visa was checked and rubber-stamped by the Belarus Border Guards :( I have it in my passport still, so I know I'm not imagining this ;)

Yes, my transit visa was also stamped, not at the Russia-Belarus border, but at the Belarus-Poland border. As long as he has a valid transit visa, it does not really matter where he gets checked.

Oh Him
22-04-2010, 17:23
I live in Minsk.

DO NOT (!!!) try to enter the country without a visa.

It's a crime, and when you get caught it will be a serious problem for you. They will fine you and deport you, and you risk not be able to return to Belarus or RUSSIA, ever! You'll be blacklisted for visas in the future in both countries, and maybe others in the CIS too. And a deportation stamp in your passport is a nasty thing to have if you like to travel.

As I understand it, when you buy your train ticket in Russia and other countries (not Ukraine though), you must present your passport. They enter nationality info into a computer network, so they know what nationalities are in which train wagons. I've often got special treatment/scrutiny from a border guard on the train before anyone else, simply because they knew I was the only non-CIS citizen in the wagon.

jitengarg
22-04-2010, 17:37
if you have a russian visa & a schengen visa but an indian passport, can you still get a transit visa to belarus which allows you to stay in belarus for a day.

i have a client in belarus which i was hoping to meet on my way to poland.