PDA

View Full Version : your quote

len
19-04-2010, 16:27
Life isn't worth living unless it's lived for someone else.
Abert Einstein
I think if everybody lived by this quote there will be peace.

What is your favourite quote and why?

nbogaard
19-04-2010, 16:53
Abert Einstein

I love quotes. All different kinds of quotes: funny, witty, profound. Herer are some of my favorites.

"The unexamined life is not worth living." Attributed to Socrates by Plato, "The Apology"

"Sex without love is an empty experience but as empty experiences go, it's one of the best." Woody Allen

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

"Never, never, never give up." Winston Churchill

nbogaard
19-04-2010, 16:56
Len, I forgot my favorite of all:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." The Bible

Matt24
19-04-2010, 19:20
for me this is the goal

'I, not events,have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it’

Groucho Marx in one of his more profound moments

Matt

tvadim133
19-04-2010, 22:29
My favourite is by A.P. Chekhov (a russian writer and dramatist): "in a person everything must be excelent: a face, clothes, a soul and thoughts".

Another one is by the fatanstic soviet actress Ranevskaya: "sklerosis can not be treated, but can be forgotten"... :)

SpinaPubica
20-04-2010, 09:32
“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
Bilbo Baggins

yakspeare
20-04-2010, 10:50
"greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends"- bible

"Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do or die" Patton

"In peacetime we prepare for war"( Can't remember the latin) Our Naval branch motto

"I know karate and several other Japanese words"

len
20-04-2010, 11:08
“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
Bilbo Baggins

now where did you get this rhyme from? a poet?

len
20-04-2010, 11:10
for me this is the goal

'I, not events,have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it’

Matt

are you happy today matt24?

nbogaard
20-04-2010, 11:36
now where did you get this rhyme from? a poet?

It is a quote of a character in J.R.R. Tolkein's "The Fellowship of the Ring." The character who says it is Bilbo Baggins. Lovely books, if you haven't read them.

Matt24
20-04-2010, 11:39
are you happy today matt24?

Yes I am thanks Len, living the dream! Weekend a bit iffy, No.2 son teething, but Russian language improving by the minute, work goes well so on the whole nothing to complain about, happy as a 'Pig-in'

Matt

len
20-04-2010, 12:56
It is a quote of a character in J.R.R. Tolkein's "The Fellowship of the Ring." The character who says it is Bilbo Baggins. Lovely books, if you haven't read them.

No i have not read them.
I have heard that Fellowhip of the ring from somewhere....i think Lord of the rings. are they related?

BrandonL
20-04-2010, 13:24
I don't believe in peer pressure....I just like to impress my friends.

len
20-04-2010, 13:49
I don't believe in peer pressure....I just like to impress my friends.

that didnt read like a quote, is it?

BrandonL
20-04-2010, 13:56
that didnt read like a quote, is it?

A quote is what someone says, and you repeat it, it's a quote for me.

Mirka
20-04-2010, 17:01
Kurt Cobian:
'Waiting to be someone else is a wast of the person you are'

and a lot of other quotes, let's see how this discussion will improve and I may post some more ;)

mikegulf
20-04-2010, 17:08
"Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do or die" Patton This wasn't a quote by Patton, it was a line in "The charge of the Light Brigade by Tennyson

FlakeySnowballer
20-04-2010, 19:33
Here are my favorite quotes:

What do i want?!

What for?!

nbogaard
20-04-2010, 20:12
for me this is the goal

Matt

It's interesting. I know lots of Groucho Marx quotes but all of them are the funny ones. I thought you were kidding and I googled your quote and found that quote and many others from Groucho that were pretty insightful.

nbogaard
20-04-2010, 20:22
No i have not read them.
I have heard that Fellowhip of the ring from somewhere....i think Lord of the rings. are they related?

Lord of the Rings is the name of the trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkein. The individual books, in order are:

The Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
The Return of the King

There is a prequel called, The Hobbit. It is a nice little book but is not necessary to the trilogy. I am certain that you have heard of the movie versions, quite good but the books are better.

nbogaard
20-04-2010, 20:26
No i have not read them.

B/T/W my wife tells me that there are quite good Russian translations of these books, if you prefer.

Swordfish90293
20-04-2010, 20:29
Abert Einstein

You have a right to believe what you like, but I disagree 100% with your quote. The ultimate reason to live is for oneself. One can certainly live for others, but I believe God put us here to be tested as His creation.

Aside from this gibberish, I like

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro..."
Hunter S. Thompson

TolkoRaz
20-04-2010, 21:57
"I believe that sex is a beautiful thing between two people. Between five, it's fantastic." :10518:

-- Woody Allen

Evan
20-04-2010, 22:17
'A faint heart never filled a spade flush'.

TolkoRaz
21-04-2010, 00:00
"I believe that sex is a beautiful thing between two people. Between five, it's fantastic." :10518:

-- Woody Allen

"I believe that sex is a beautiful thing between two people. Between five, it's funtastic." :10518:

-- TolkoRaz, April 2010

len
21-04-2010, 08:57
but I believe God put us here to be tested as His creation.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro..."
Hunter S. Thompson

i dont believe i was created to be tested. i would be very mad if that were so.
It would be so weird, but i wont turn pro.

len
21-04-2010, 09:02
"I believe that sex is a beautiful thing between two people. Between five, it's funtastic." :10518:

-- TolkoRaz, April 2010

please do explain your quote

len
21-04-2010, 09:13
B/T/W my wife tells me that there are quite good Russian translations of these books, if you prefer.

My thanks to her. I am very junior where Russian is concerned and its a headache after every lesson. I can imagine reading the books. Non the less, I will try get a copy for practice sake.

len
21-04-2010, 09:15
'A faint heart never filled a spade flush'.

It sounds epic. Is it from an epic movie or one of those very old old quotes?
I love epic movies.

Swordfish90293
21-04-2010, 11:29
I love epic movies.

"I think you're ready to turn pro..."
Nacho Libre

Matt24
21-04-2010, 11:55
"Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do or die" Patton This wasn't a quote by Patton, it was a line in "The charge of the Light Brigade by Tennyson

Whilst I agree it wasn't Patton, I think it was one of Tom Hanks' minions in 'Saving Private Ryan' misquoting Tennyson ,(or maybe he was quoting Patton's misquote)- for historical reasons, (several old boys had died in it) we had to learn the whole of 'The charge of the light brigade' and chant it at year end and rugby games, not quite a Haka but quite unnerving. The line, which has some fairly archaic grammar, is 'Theirs not to reason why, theirs but to do and die' - the mad thing is 'do AND die' not 'do OR die' which is much less inspirational.

Matt

yakspeare
21-04-2010, 12:56

yes you are correct...although i certainly been told many times that patton said it too(quite common to re-use old quotes) i will some digging to see if i am partly wrong or if i am completely wrong!

i do like this one:

"'Whoever said the pen is mightier then the sword
obviously never encountered automatic weapons.'"
— Douglas MacArthur

nbogaard
21-04-2010, 13:51
My thanks to her. I am very junior where Russian is concerned and its a headache after every lesson. I can imagine reading the books. Non the less, I will try get a copy for practice sake.

I'm sorry, Len, I didn't know you were British. By all means, read them in English, their original language.

len
21-04-2010, 14:53
I'm sorry, Len, I didn't know you were British. By all means, read them in English, their original language.

I am not british, I was only ruled by them at one time. Although I must say I did fancy the british men up until i got a Russian boy.:inlove:

len
21-04-2010, 14:58
"I think you're ready to turn pro..."
Nacho Libre

you think I am wierd:)

Evan
21-04-2010, 16:49
I love epic movies.

It's an epic poker quote. Anyone else loves a game of poker?

Swordfish90293
21-04-2010, 23:17
you think I am wierd:)

Pro...

AussieinMoscow
22-04-2010, 00:38
I have a few favourites,

We must be the change we want to see.
Mahatma Gandhi

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; But often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.
Helen Keller

Some people care too much, I think it's called love.
Winnie the Pooh.

len
22-04-2010, 08:54
I have a few favourites,

Some people care too much, I think it's called love.
Winnie the Pooh.

i think its called space invasion.

cantunay
22-04-2010, 12:45
Either be yourself or look like as you are ...

yakspeare
22-04-2010, 12:52
not sure where it comes from but it is always a good one to remember and one of the best advices you can give to others:

If you love something set it free, if it comes back to you it is yours, if it does not, then it never was.

Oh Him
22-04-2010, 17:36
'Sucks to your ass-mar!' - William Golding

len
22-04-2010, 17:51
'Sucks to your ass-mar!' - William Golding

Explain yourself

FlakeySnowballer
23-04-2010, 22:02
Not my favorite but from time to time i use it.

"Don't tell me that i must do and i won't tell you where you must go"

objective
23-04-2010, 23:41
for me this is the goal

Matt

I've heard something similar...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift; that is why they call it the present.":cool:

objective
23-04-2010, 23:54
Not my favorite but from time to time i use it.

"Don't tell me that i must do and i won't tell you where you must go"

Actually, that sounds like it could be pretty useful on occasion!:verycool:

tvadim133
24-04-2010, 00:01
Actually, that sounds like it could be pretty useful on occasion!:verycool:

Especaily for easy commincation with employer...

Rexy
28-04-2010, 01:48
http://startupquote.com/ - a nice collection of quotes from the most popular startup founders =)

dontcallme
28-04-2010, 06:46
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
(Sir Winston Churchill)

len
28-04-2010, 10:03
People who reach the top of the tree are only those who haven't got the qualifications to detain them at the bottom.
- Peter Ustinov

We don't bother much about dress and manners in England, because as a nation we don't dress well and we've no manners.
- George Bernard Shaw

Matt24
28-04-2010, 10:09
We don't bother much about dress and manners in England, because as a nation we don't dress well and we've no manners.
- George Bernard Shaw

take it with a pinch of salt Len, GBS was Irish

len
28-04-2010, 10:48

taken. I wonder what the occassion was

is4fun
28-04-2010, 22:58
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law" (AL I:40)
The Book of the Law.:mml:

Benedikt
29-04-2010, 07:59
because good food is indeed one of the few pleasures left to us....

FlakeySnowballer
29-04-2010, 10:48
i am not going to dispute with you just submit

len
29-04-2010, 11:59
i am not going to dispute with you just submit

talk of power to surrender......thats not a quote just me saying.

Viola
30-04-2010, 17:12
Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can not eat it or play with it, piss on it and walk away.

Rexy
01-05-2010, 01:02
When i was a kid i prayed to God to send me a bicycle.
Then i understood that it worked another way.
I stole a bicycle and began to pray to God to forgive me.
(by some guy from dirty.ru)

excuse me for a lousy translation =)

is4fun
01-05-2010, 09:54
“Many a man owes his success to his first wife and his second wife to his success”

Jim Backus

yakspeare
01-05-2010, 10:53
Donald Rumsfeld has to go down in history as the person with the most stupid quotes...they are absolute gems. (WARNING: Reading these quotes may lower your IQ):

"I would not say that the future is necessarily less predictable than the past. I think the past was not predictable when it started."

"We do know of certain knowledge that he [Osama Bin Laden] is either in Afghanistan, or in some other country, or dead."

"We know where they are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat." –on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction

"Death has a tendency to encourage a depressing view of war."

"Freedom's untidy, and free people are free to make mistakes and commit crimes and do bad things." –on looting in Iraq after the U.S. invasion, adding "stuff happens"

"As you know, you go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time."

"[Osama Bin Laden is] either alive and well or alive and not too well or not alive."

"I am not going to give you a number for it because it's not my business to do intelligent work." -asked to estimate the number of Iraqi insurgents while testifying before Congress

"I believe what I said yesterday. I don't know what I said, but I know what I think, and, well, I assume it's what I said."

"Needless to say, the President is correct. Whatever it was he said."

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."

"If I said yes, that would then suggest that that might be the only place where it might be done which would not be accurate, necessarily accurate. It might also not be inaccurate, but I'm disinclined to mislead anyone."

"There's another way to phrase that and that is that the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. It is basically saying the same thing in a different way. Simply because you do not have evidence that something does exist does not mean that you have evidence that it doesn't exist." -on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction

"It is unknowable how long that conflict [the war in Iraq] will last. It could last six days, six weeks. I doubt six months." -in Feb. 2003

"Well, um, you know, something's neither good nor bad but thinking makes it so, I suppose, as Shakespeare said."

"Secretary Powell and I agree on every single issue that has ever been before this administration except for those instances where Colin's still learning."

"Learn to say 'I don't know.' If used when appropriate, it will be often."

"I don't know what the facts are but somebody's certainly going to sit down with him and find out what he knows that they may not know, and make sure he knows what they know that he may not know."

"I'm not into this detail stuff. I'm more concepty."

"I don't do quagmires."

"I don't do diplomacy."

"I don't do foreign policy."

"I don't do predictions."

"I don't do numbers."

"I don't do book reviews."

"Now, settle down, settle down. Hell, I'm an old man, it's early in the morning and I'm gathering my thoughts here."

"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't, I'll just respond, cleverly."

"Oh, Lord. I didn't mean to say anything quotable."

Cooldude
01-05-2010, 15:57

Fáinne óir ort, man!

Matt24
01-05-2010, 19:10
Fáinne óir ort, man!

Dude, where I come from that's dangerous jewellery, best wishes Matt

TGP
04-05-2010, 00:37
Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it.

Beware the barrenness of a busy life.

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

When I hear somebody sigh, 'Life is hard,' I am always tempted to ask, 'Compared to what?'

Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today

quincy
04-05-2010, 09:49
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

EXCELLENT!!!:applause:

Viola
05-05-2010, 14:56
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rater version of someone else

Judy Garland

BrandonL
30-05-2010, 23:15
Wanted: meaningful, overnight, relationship

A friend will bail you out of jail, a good friend will be sitting next to you, saying, "damn, wasn't that fun!"

I support same sex marriages.....as long as both the chicks are hot.

Teamwork is important in fighting...is gives the enemy someone else to attack.

Me, myself and I, three great people, wraped into one.

I use to have a handle on life, but then it broke.