PDA

View Full Version : when will the snow stop???

chunkyhunkymonkey
10-03-2005, 17:35
i'm suffering from sneg-itis... i've had enough of it... roll on the spring. When do you think it will stop, and start melting?

veejay
10-03-2005, 17:46
hate to break it to you, but two years ago, the last snow fall of the season wasn't until 2nd of june...it didn't accumulate much if at all, but it was snow...

Kseniya
10-03-2005, 17:52
the snow will never stop:) I wanna ski... when I'll be bored it will finally stop:D

monkey-girl
10-03-2005, 17:55
I've just looked out of my window.

It's not snowing! It has stopped! Already!

:p

chunkyhunkymonkey
10-03-2005, 18:10
not out of my window on B. Dmitrovka... horrah - mnogo sneg idyot!

monkey-girl
10-03-2005, 18:17
Originally posted by chunkyhunkymonkey

it has started snowing here again as well :(

Chunkyhunkymonkey! It's all your simian weather machinations!

Koroleva
10-03-2005, 18:29
The best way to avoid snow is to invite a friend, stay at home, lay on the sofa, light candles and watch a nice movie.
We all are tired of winter, but when you do not have time to think about it - it helps!

Lled
10-03-2005, 18:35
Originally posted by Koroleva
The best way to avoid snow is to invite a friend, stay at home, lay on the sofa, light candles and watch a nice movie.
We all are tired of winter, but when you do not have time to think about it - it helps!

you offering to be my friend ?

Benedikt
10-03-2005, 18:50
i think the old 'farmers almanch' still holds true ' green christmas, white easter'..
now here in russia times are a little bit different apparently easter is on the first of may? this year...

pengwn9
10-03-2005, 23:10
All the Russians around here are calling for 2 more weeks of snow and then spring. It's not my country, so I will trust their instincts.

druna
10-03-2005, 23:24
beginning of April...

Sparafucile
11-03-2005, 00:35
The snow will stop exactly six weeks after you have changed your winter tyres for summer ones.

kazachka
11-03-2005, 09:48
Originally posted by veejay
hate to break it to you, but two years ago, the last snow fall of the season wasn't until 2nd of june...it didn't accumulate much if at all, but it was snow...

My God -I remember that! I was walking home in the evening and my jacket thermometer read just below freezing! White flakes began to fall and it wasn't the usual οσυ either. I thought it was quite rude for June. Even in Alaska, I hadn't seen June snow (late May, yes)!!!!

Cherry
11-03-2005, 12:57
Originally posted by chunkyhunkymonkey

hey thats where i live!!

Cherry
11-03-2005, 13:00
Originally posted by llednomis
you offering to be my friend ?

mmmmmmm good idea:agree: :agree:

Helix
13-03-2005, 23:27
i'm afraid it'll never stop :(
Spring, real green Spring, where you are??????????????????

veejay
13-03-2005, 23:42
Originally posted by kazachka
My God -I remember that! I was walking home in the evening and my jacket thermometer read just below freezing! White flakes began to fall and it wasn't the usual οσυ either. I thought it was quite rude for June. Even in Alaska, I hadn't seen June snow (late May, yes)!!!!

indeed...it was rude...i thought i'd imagined it until colleagues at work said that they had also been hallucinating that morning...:(

oddly enough, i spent a summer working at Denali National Park in Alaska in '90. it snowed in JULY when i was there...!!! not in the valley where i lived, granted. but once the clouds cleared from the mountains that surrounded our little hamlet just outside the park, all of the peaks (which were relatively small) were covered in snow!!! and when i left in late august, it had already snowed in the valley...ugh...wasn't ready for that at all!!!

kazachka
14-03-2005, 00:06
I took my parents to visit Denali in July of 97. It pi*sed rain in the valley for a couple days, but we had white stuff at elevation. I just didn't count that incident since I was thinking more of having seen/not seen snow in town. Technically, you can see snow 12 mos a yr, but we try not to think about it:) My memories of up north are more like-
Breakup-first week of May
Followed by the appearance of brown "grass"
Just as the buds were opening into leaves by the 3rd week of May,I'd leave only to return about the first of September to nothing but yellow birch that shed their leaves by the 3rd week of September. Now that's rude! Be forewarned though, though I have not seen snow (yet) in Moscow in August, I've seen frost in late Aug.

plastique
14-03-2005, 00:13
you just have to remember the 4 Moscow Seasons..

1) Cold
2) Really F**kin cold
3) not as cold as yesterday
4) Rain

plastique
14-03-2005, 00:13
The change of seasons is marked only by the rise and fall of beer tents and resturant patios

veejay
14-03-2005, 00:15
sounds about right...i arrived mid-May and there were huge banks of snow on the highway from anchorage up to denali...and everything was turning when i left the end of august. have to say one of the most amazing things i've ever experience was the northern lights a few weeks before i left...unbelieveable!!!

veejay
14-03-2005, 00:16
Originally posted by plastique
you just have to remember the 4 Moscow Seasons..

1) Cold
2) Really F**kin cold
3) not as cold as yesterday
4) Rain

well said!!! tis true, tis true!!!

druna
14-03-2005, 08:36
Seem to snow in May this year. Quite common in this country.

chunkyhunkymonkey
25-03-2005, 17:52
Looks like everyone who voted has just lost.... according to Yandex, the weather shall be sneg, sneg and a bit more sneg until next saturday (3 Apr)!

That means i'm gonna be slip-slidin' away like a good 'un all next week :yikes:

monkey-girl
25-03-2005, 17:57
Even me, Monkey the Optimist, thinks there ain't no spring!

It's going to be one long and FF winter forever.

Let good old Russian spleen be awakened!!!

Billie Bob
25-03-2005, 17:58
hey, it snowed in nyc several days back...
we are not alone....

Kingwillhe
25-03-2005, 18:00
This slop is not the snow I am used to, my feet are developing something akin to jungle rot from incessant wet!

chunkyhunkymonkey
25-03-2005, 18:09
it's quite amusing to walk up Tverskaya as the majority of the shops have their spring/summer collections in, meaning scantilly-clad maniquins (sp?) in the window.... and everyone else just has a look of disgust on their faces!

Shara
25-03-2005, 18:09
Dear All,
I appologize for the snow. It is all my fault. I decided to wear non valenki boots with heels today AND a gauzy springy top. I have brought this plague upon us all via prespring wardrobe selections. I promise from this day forward to wear my pukhovka, valenki, 2 pairs of longjohns, skimask, ear muffs, 3 sweaters, and ...

oh and my prediction for when this crap will end??? the 12th of NEVER.

monkey-girl
25-03-2005, 18:13
Originally posted by Shara
Dear All,
I appologize for the snow. It is all my fault. I decided to wear non valenki boots with heels today AND a gauzy springy top. I have brought this plague upon us all via prespring wardrobe selections. I promise from this day forward to wear my pukhovka, valenki, 2 pairs of longjohns, skimask, ear muffs, 3 sweaters, and ...

oh and my prediction for when this crap will end??? the 12th of NEVER.

Ahhhhhhhh! Here's the groundhog!!!!!!!! Gotcha!

chunkyhunkymonkey
31-03-2005, 17:23
Shara the groundhog.... have you been out today?

35.29% of you voted that the snow will stop this week and it hasn't. I'm beginning to think that it will never end!

when did the snow start though? Nov/dec last year?