PDA

View Full Version : Notebook closes down and starts again

Benedikt
14-04-2010, 19:46
..this occurs only since a few days. every 2h or so, the laptop ASUS F5RL, OS system windows Vista (if that info is needed) just turns off by itself and immideately re starts, then i have to enter the password and it works fine again. for about 2 h and the whole story starts again. :mooooh:any hints or tips. please note: i work with a russian language notebook....:eh:

Remington
14-04-2010, 20:56
Sounds like your laptop's cpu fan is not working. The computer usually will shutdown immediately if the fan is not working properly to prevent cpu from burning out. Do you hear the fan spinning at all?

I would suggest you to buy a air can to blow the dust out of the cpu fan and grill inside your laptop.

Swordfish90293
14-04-2010, 22:37
Sounds like your laptop's cpu fan is not working. The computer usually will shutdown immediately if the fan is not working properly to prevent cpu from burning out. Do you hear the fan spinning at all?

I would suggest you to buy a air can to blow the dust out of the cpu fan and grill inside your laptop.

Good suggestion, R. The weather has warmed up, so you might also look at where you work and if possible move it to a cooler place.

I recall having this same problem in the distant past. If it's not a cooling problem, System Restore could re-set your box to an earlier time when it performed properly.

Just a thought...

Willy
14-04-2010, 22:42
Good suggestion, R. The weather has warmed up, so you might also look at where you work and if possible move it to a cooler place.

I recall having this same problem in the distant past. If it's not a cooling problem, System Restore could re-set your box to an earlier time when it performed properly.

Just a thought...

Sometimes I wish I had a System Restore, so I could go back to an earlier time.

Benedikt
15-04-2010, 08:26

Just a thought...
..what would i have to do and where to find this 'system restore'?

Matt24
15-04-2010, 11:00

Just a thought...

on the cooling thing, we got a bunch of 'Rain Design iLaps' like a raised aluminium platform which conducts heat away from the case and therefore the cpu, they work fantastically well with MacBook pros,but also work slightly less well with PC's in plastic cases, they allow a free flow of air all around the computer even when you're using them on your lap, they also raise the vents away from the 'dust line', and increase the fan efficiency by using hot airs natural need to rise. Probably more prophylactic than cure for your current situation, but I think possibly a long term help to avoid repeats.

Matt

FatAndy
15-04-2010, 11:40
Benedikt, probably there is dust, hair, fur, feather etc inside cooling system. Take vacuum cleaner, put narrow nozzle plastic tube on it, switch v.cleaner on max throttle and workaround all vent. holes/grills at laptop sides/bottom. Should help.
If not, there is address of Asus service center:
http://www.askservice.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=0&Itemid=4

Benedikt
15-04-2010, 16:42
Benedikt, probably there is dust, hair, fur, feather etc inside cooling system. Take vacuum cleaner, put narrow nozzle plastic tube on it, switch v.cleaner on max throttle and workaround all vent. holes/grills at laptop sides/bottom. Should help.
If not, there is address of Asus service center:
http://www.askservice.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=0&Itemid=4

there are only five srews at the back and nothing that i could damage. the fan is clean it is moving also freely. there was no hair,fur,or anything else blocking it. i think the reason was, it was just very hot in the kitchen, i use the notebook in the kitchen. i always had the back lifted up to get better ventilation, forgot it at home the last 3 days. old age.....
but still, i am working at he moment, no problems, and since the notebook is 'cold' there is no fan moving and no sound. or is the fan supposed to run anyway, hot or not. also the temperature has dropped considerable in the kitchen.
i will keep an eye or better two on the laptop and if it conks out again i take it to the workshop. or is it easy to replace a cpu fan. i saw this is quite a big thing. but did not dleve further or deeper into the innards....
but thanks for all the help and tips.

Remington
15-04-2010, 16:54
You can put a thick book underneath to raise your laptop's back higher to give more air flow underneath. Be sure the book isn't blocking the air vents. I have Dell M1750 super-sized laptop and it gets awful hot and the laptop cooler doesn't help at all so I use a book. It cuts the temperature down considerably.

If you haven't heard your fan spinning at all then it's probably time to replace the fan.

FatAndy
15-04-2010, 17:08
CPU fan or whole heatsink with heatpipe - it's not very easy to replace. First of all, it is not usual 80 or 120 mm fan from desktop, which are available at any computer shop. Whole copper device is usually available only via service centers. It's better to refer serviceman who knows the platform.

There can be also thermal conductivity element deterioration (thermal pad or thermal grease dried between copper heatsink and chip(s) crystal(s)) - it's possible to cure at home but with greatest accuracy - can easily damage crystal or PCB around and get full device malfunction. All what is needed - screwdriver, cotton pads/swabs, pinzet, spiritus to remove old grease/pad and new thermal interface (you can buy it at Gorbushka/Savela... or Mitino - it's closer to Strogino if I remember correctly your home location). The name of thermal grease is термопаста КПТ-8 (ka-pe-te vosem') or АлСил-3 (al-sil tri) , available in small tubes like toothpaste or like medical syringes.
Needed to unscrew and detach the copper device, wipe old thermal interface with spiritus from heatsink and crystal(s) (gently - crystal is naked), then put a SMALL drop of paste onto crystal(s), very accurately place heatsink back and step-to-step fix screws (observing cross-rule!!).

Another cause can be (in line with surrounding hot atmosphere) - that your laptop works all the time at maximal speed (and heat production) of processor. It is needed only if you do performance tasks - video/graphics/3D editing/modelling, scientific calculation etc. At most cases for Internet and text editing it's not needed. Check system tray (right bottom corner) - there very probably is energy management software sign - click on it and make performance adjustments to office level or automatic, if it was set somehow to high-perf level.

Remington
15-04-2010, 17:20
To get access to CPU's fan and heatsink will require to disassemble the laptop completely with approximately 20 to 30 screws. Best to have the laptop repair shop handle this since they'll know where to find the difficult-to-find parts for the laptop.

I've repaired several laptops and upgraded the cpu before. It's not easy. Miss a screw, try to open it and something will break.

Swordfish90293
17-04-2010, 10:09
..what would i have to do and where to find this 'system restore'?

System Restore, at least on my box, is in Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. Once there simply follow the prompts to roll your laptop back to a time and date when you recall it was performing correctly.

Here you'll also find Disk Defragmenter and Disk Cleanup. Just follow the prompts. Defrag could take some time to complete especially if you've never run it.

These are all simply maintenance and my not fix your problem, but your laptop should run faster and more smoothly...

Also keep Windows Updated...

Artyom
20-04-2010, 06:46
Could it be so that you are running RC (release candidate, or trial) version of Windows 7?
If this is the case, computer will indeed restart exactly every 120 minutes. This is Microsoft's policy towards beta-testers, it happened to all trials of Windows 7 after 1st of March 2010.

Official Microsoft statement is:

To avoid interruption, it’s recommended that you and your customers rebuild test machines by using a valid Windows operating system before Windows 7 Beta and Windows 7 RC expire. Windows will automatically notify you that the expiration process is about to begin. Two weeks later, your PC will shut down every two hours. For Windows 7 Beta, the bihourly shutdowns will begin July 1, 2009. The software will expire August 1, 2009. For Windows 7 RC, the bihourly shutdowns will begin March 1, 2010. The software will expire June 1, 2010.

Found here at TomsHardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-7-rc-restarts-expiry,7706.html) and more is at Microsoft support here (http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;971767&x=17&y=10)

Go get more on the issue from Google

Benedikt
20-04-2010, 08:25
[QUOTE=Artyom;651719]Could it be so that you are running RC (release candidate, or trial) version of Windows 7?
If this is the case, computer will indeed restart exactly every 120 minutes. This is Microsoft's policy towards beta-testers, it happened to all trials of Windows 7 after 1st of March 2010.

still have the original windows vista and i am not aware that i have downloaded something else,but anyway i am off to the repair-shop now and they will for sure tell me what went wrong?

Swordfish90293
20-04-2010, 08:38
Maybe you're infected with malware. I use 'Spybot-Search and Destroy' to remove any intrusions. It's free.

Benedikt
20-04-2010, 19:10
Maybe you're infected with malware. I use 'Spybot-Search and Destroy' to remove any intrusions. It's free.
what is wrong with my box. it is in the workshop, connected to more cables then a patient in intensive care and they will run tests and diagnosis over night...
it is not the cpu fan, it is working as it should
most probably it was something i tried to download in russian language, got a few things wrong and got a few knots in the wires...:9456:
but i was told, just by chance when talking to the techies, they remembered me that i bought the note book from them. :hooray:and it is not yet 2 years, so i am still covered by guarantee.:hooray: (they also could have kept their mouth shut, charged me and i would have paid and no questions asked.)

Swordfish90293
20-04-2010, 20:57
Maybe you fed it something that disagreed with it...

mikegulf
20-04-2010, 21:24
Sounds like your hard drive might have become corrupted.

Benedikt
21-04-2010, 00:20
Maybe you fed it something that disagreed with it...

and heartburn....