PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPad?

trebor
07-04-2010, 08:46
I'm in the market for a new lap top and was thinking maybe it's time for a change.
Has anyone tried the new Apple iPad? I've heard it's very light, great for surfing the web and using applications.
I need something that i can work on as well. I know very little about Apple. Do they have a Microsoft Office type of program installed on it? I need Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher and Outlook equivalents as a minimum.
Can it do all the things a lap top can? What about memory, battery life etc?

I like the set up of a lap top. The screen is vertical in front of you (no need to look down and the key pad is at right angles to the screen. Not found on the iPad. Is this a serious drawback when working? What's the on screen key pad like to use? I've heard people complaining about it but i found the key pad on my first note book a bloody nightmare at first. I soon got used to it though.

Any thoughts before i take the plunge?

Sidney Bliss
07-04-2010, 10:32
Trebor,

The following might help:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/pda/2010/apr/01/ipad-digital-media

tgma
08-04-2010, 08:57
If you need Word/Excel etc, then they won't work on the iPad - Microsoft have said that they will not be producing versions of these for the iPad. Apple and other companies will produce programmes that will work with Word and Excel documents, but it will probably be fiddly, and is probably not a good idea if you are not already comfortable with moving between Apple and Microsoft products. I have a Mac laptop and a Windows desktop at work, and it is possible to use the Apple equivalents of Word and Excel to work on these documents, and send them back and forth, but you have to be comfortable with computers, and it sounds like you are not.

For the price of an iPad, you should be able to get a laptop that will do most of the things you want, and will have a much bigger hard disk. The iPad will be very cool for things like reading eBooks, playing games (but not hardcore gaming), watching movies, email, browsing. In short it's more for passive work, and if you want to do active stuff which requires more input from the user, then a laptop is what you need. I'm looking forward to getting an iPad, as it will cover most of my home and travelling computer needs, and all my document work can be done in the office on my desktop.

opag78
08-04-2010, 12:31
An IPad is no Laptop in the same way as a gaming console is no PC.

See an IPad is a lifestyle device. Don't get me wrong, as per the reviews the IPad does an excellent on what is was designed for. However at first you must understand what the IPad was designed for.

The IPad is designed for entertainment (movies, simple games), browsing, emailing and daily reading.

As reported it does an excellent job in these and it should feel great.

Nevertheless the IPad is no working device. So forget about doing your regular job on the IPad except for the occasional report and maybe emails. There are not many interfaces, hence exchanging and working with files is a hassle, don't even think to log into the corporate intranet .. just don't assume you can work with it.

So normally you will have a (private) IPad NEXT to your (corporate) laptop and that is actually the idea.
But as I said the reviews are enthuastic and most people seem to love the IPad for what it is doing - in the same way as I love my IPod and I could't imagine buying any other mp3-player so certainly people will love their IPads and won't be able to imagine doing the described activities with any other device anymore.

Nevertheless personally I decided I won't need an IPad (or any similiar device) in near future as I am more comfortable with my ebook-reader when I am travelling (smaller, lighter) and I use my (private) laptop for many activities which are not doable by the IPad, but seldomly do the activities, which the IPad can do.

But the story is different for my mother and maybe even my wife. I can imagine that in a few years down the line they will purchase a (i)Pad (as a rule you should never buy the first version of a new device as only the second version will be without the typical infancy issues )

FatAndy
08-04-2010, 12:53
2 opag78:
I am more comfortable with my ebook-reader when I am travelling (smaller, lighter) and I use my (private) laptop for many activities which are not doable by the IPad - reasonable. Nearly the same, although I read e-books on my mobile phone with 2.8" screen, but feel need to buy larger - maybe 5-6" which are now 8-11K rub here.

you should never buy the first version of a new device as only the second version will be without the typical infancy issues - exactly. As we say, first pancake is usually jammed... another proverb - need to workaround with a file (Feile in German) ;)

2 trebor:
As a compromise between touch device like iPad and usual laptop you may consider transformer device with turn-around touchscreen:
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=329576204C9E42289967E79E0E7C9A2D - Lenovo business instrument

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ru/ru/sm/WF25a/321957-321957-64295-3955549-3955549-4145567.html - business series from HP
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ru/ru/ho/WF04a/321957-321957-3329744-3835813-3835813.html - home and SOHO series from HP

http://event.asus.com/eeepc/t91/index.html - very entry level transformer from Asus

xSnoofovich
09-04-2010, 01:06
i bought an ipad. it will come in the mail.

i plan on using it to:

surf the web
watch utube
read ebooks

and of course, on airplanes

watch movies
listen to music

do real work? nope, i am guessing its a big iphone, and as fun as it is, i cant really do anything * productive * on it !

trebor
11-04-2010, 03:27
Thanks for all the great answers.
I had my suspicions that it wasn't for working on but needed confirmation from people who know a lot more about this kinda stuff.
I don't need two devices, just a replacement for an aging lap top and then i have my mobile as well. More than enough technology for me!

Thanks again.

Ozcar
17-05-2010, 00:47
Not a replacement of your computer or laptop but a great hi-end toy and as all Apple devices very user friendly, fast and great quality.

Just last week I brought a new 32GB WiFi iPad from the USA. Since I have the luxury of owning two I plan to sell this one. It comes with nice accessories: black leather protection cover 'Manware', iPad loading dock/stand and screen anti reflection filter.

So let me know if you want to be one of the early birds in Moscow to own one?

vox16
17-05-2010, 22:34
Given an official battery replacement procedure for this gadget, I wouldn't touch gray-imported device with a 10-feet pole. Unless you can from time to time move to US and wait a week or so there while Apple handles the replacement.

mattology
05-06-2010, 14:28
Ipads, no matter where you bought them are eligible for worldwide warranty support. For iPhones the story is different, here only the warranty of the country you purchased it is valid.

I own an iPad myself now, however brought it from Germany last week. Frankly speaking the thing rocks! I've even paired it with my iPhone to use the 3G connection - so there was no need for me to spend a hundred euros more for the 3G+ Wifi version, but the wifi only version is enough.

swaitimu
06-06-2010, 07:50
Not a replacement of your computer or laptop but a great hi-end toy and as all Apple devices very user friendly, fast and great quality.

Just last week I brought a new 32GB WiFi iPad from the USA. Since I have the luxury of owning two I plan to sell this one. It comes with nice accessories: black leather protection cover 'Manware', iPad loading dock/stand and screen anti reflection filter.

So let me know if you want to be one of the early birds in Moscow to own one?

hey ozcar im interested in your ipad pm me

nbogaard
06-06-2010, 15:42
i bought an ipad. it will come in the mail.

i plan on using it to:

surf the web
watch utube
read ebooks

and of course, on airplanes

watch movies
listen to music

do real work? nope, i am guessing its a big iphone, and as fun as it is, i cant really do anything * productive * on it !

Two things: I understand that the next generation iPad will come out in the fall and the rumor is that it will have a USB port and will have phoning capability.

I have a Kindle e-reader and have no problem reading on it all day, no eyestrain at all. I borrowed a friend's iPad and tried to read a book and found that I had some of tjhe same problems I have when trying to read on a computer: red eyes and my eyes get tired fairly quickly. Has anyone else with an iPad had that experience or am I dreaming it to save myself the cost of the device?

mattology
06-06-2010, 18:29
Two things: I understand that the next generation iPad will come out in the fall and the rumor is that it will have a USB port and will have phoning capability.

I doubt this is true. Next iPad will come out in approx. 1 year. Next iPhone should be presented tomorrow on the WWDC in San Francisco, and in fall the OS 4.0 will be released for the current iPad. Usually Apple maintains approximately 1 year for a generation cycle.

AtF100
29-06-2010, 19:17
Thanks Sidney this helped me too!

zholly
29-07-2010, 13:37
The 64GB is perfect for all of my movies, and having the 3G is great for when we are on the road. I do enjoy using it for quick tasks such as checking my email or checking weather and traffic. The large screen is better for checking traffic and using my iPhone and my MacBook Pro doesn’t allow me to surf the internet while traveling.