PDA

View Full Version : Still nowhere to get good donuts in Central Moscow ??

mugoftea
02-03-2005, 15:48
Following on from a thread around 5 months ago saying that Dony Donik at Mega is the only place in Moscow to get decent donuts.........Is there any update on this ?

Is there nowhere in central Moscow that sells a decent donut ? I don't need Dunkin Donuts, just something that tastes vaguely similar.

Being an ignorant foreigner I mentioned at work this morning that it would be good to have a donut with coffee only to be met with the response "what's a donut ?" I have promised to satisfy their curiosity and hopefully slightly offset the insanity of working this Saturday but don't want to go all the way to Mega.

Halyavshik
02-03-2005, 15:52
I think the closest Russian word to Doughnut is 'ponchik'. But I think it's one of those 'cottage cheese' translated as 'tvorog' things. Like it's close, but not quite. Maybe I'm wrong about that, though.

Having said that, I haven't seen any doughnut places in the center, but I haven't been looking all too actively either.

Good gracious I'm helpful, aren't I ? :D

waste not want not
02-03-2005, 15:54
If you come across a Spar market in your area they have great Doughnuts just like home

ny pogodi
05-03-2005, 10:53
Originally posted by mugoftea
Following on from a thread around 5 months ago saying that Dony Donik at Mega is the only place in Moscow to get decent donuts.........Is there any update on this ?

Is there nowhere in central Moscow that sells a decent donut ? I don't need Dunkin Donuts, just something that tastes vaguely similar.

Being an ignorant foreigner I mentioned at work this morning that it would be good to have a donut with coffee only to be met with the response "what's a donut ?" I have promised to satisfy their curiosity and hopefully slightly offset the insanity of working this Saturday but don't want to go all the way to Mega.

You may surely buy some at Kalinka-Stockmann. But if you really like donuts and live in Moscow, you just have to try ponchiki, typical Russian deliciuos stuff. There are bunch of Stolichny Ponchik booths all over the Moscow. The one in the center is not far from Belorusskaya metro station.

plastique
05-03-2005, 12:45
stockmans stuff isn't the same...ponchiki isn't the same....i feel your pain mug...when i schlep out to dony donut Mega i stock up. Go to MEga, get the real thing...

polly
05-03-2005, 12:49
every once in a while i run into some little kiosk pumpin out fresh doughnuts (ponchiki) - the plain kind with a hole in the middle, they dunk them in powdered sugar. really decadent.
but the only 'regular' one i know of now is somewhere between polezhaevskaya and oktaybrskoye pole. =(

rohitohri
05-03-2005, 13:13
mugoftea

I missed them as well......didn't know you could get them at Mega, so thanks for that.

Used to love getting jam or custard doughnuts just baked at local Tesco back in London.

The only solution I've got so far is this whizzy bread maker I shipped over when I came over last December, it's got a special compartment for the jam to add it at the right time. Mind you, I haven't used it yet so it could be a complete disaster !

DPG
05-03-2005, 13:32
Rohitohri - If your machine works well and churns out decent doughnuts, I will happily provide all the ingredients and pay you in as many bottles of beer as you can drink while they are being made for the priviledge of a bag!!

yankee@moscow
05-03-2005, 15:14
You know what this is?

"Business Opportunity"

One day we'll all look back and say,"Why didn't I open a doughnut shoppe on Tverskaya?" And we'll be kicking ourselves for it too.

monkey-girl
05-03-2005, 16:46
Originally posted by yankee@moscow
You know what this is?

"Business Opportunity"

One day we'll all look back and say,"Why didn't I open a doughnut shoppe on Tverskaya?" And we'll be kicking ourselves for it too.

Somebody better open a cookie bakery and shop in Moscow. Can't find any decent cookies once I've tried Millie's Cookies in England!

What a doughnut is compared to a freshly baked chocolate cookie? huh? arrrrrrgh! :mad:

Surok
05-03-2005, 16:49
Originally posted by yankee@moscow
You know what this is?

"Business Opportunity"

yeah, but people here also say 'where can I get bagles'. and looked what happened to the great canadian bagle. sigh.

yankee@moscow
05-03-2005, 17:49
I heard that someone just opened a Dominoe's Pizza over by Baumanskaya. I wonder how that's doing?

plastique
05-03-2005, 20:27
domino's has been here for awhile..used to order at my old apartment before Papa John's (the real pizza chain not the club)....let me put it this way....to get extra cheese on the pizza it involved a half hour conversation, begging and finally bribing. way too complicated to get extra friggin cheese

Sparafucile
06-03-2005, 02:11
Yeah, yeah, just like Great Canadian Bagel on Tverskaya - how long did it last?

Somehow I can't see there being enough profit margin in lumps of fried dough (or is it rings?) to sustain an outlet on Tverskaya....

P.I.M.P.
06-03-2005, 06:15
Their bagles were crap. What could really work (and would be sustainable by avoiding Tverskaya rents) is a good morning/coffee catering service which would bake bagels, danishes, donuts, etc. and deliver to offices on a daily/weekly basis. Id love a Friday morning bagel with proper cream cheese :)

This business could really work in Moscow.

yankee@moscow
06-03-2005, 11:12
I'll put up 50 quid.

rohitohri
07-03-2005, 14:19
No problems DPG, you are more than welcome, however 2 caveats spring to mind..........

1) I have to still see the results of my first try.......

2) If there is a supply of beer for as long as it takes to make the doughnuts........I may conveniently forget to plug it in properly !!!!!! ;-)

seriously, if I am successful I'll give you a shout......

mtmiller
07-03-2005, 14:45
I believe that dony donuts now has a second store in the food court of the Ramstore complex near metro Belyevo. Still not the center, but a few metro stops closer. I have yet to go, but a friend mentioned that they offer bagels there (the one at MEGA does not).