PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions?

russianinfantry
01-03-2005, 11:10
Ladies and Gents,

I am planning to go away with my g/f in June/July and I have the choice of these destinations-:

Barcelona
Basel
Belgrade
Berlin
Bucharest
Budapest
Desseldorf
Florence
Frankfurst
Geneva
Graz
Hamburg
Hanover
Istanbul
Krakow
Lugano
Luxemburg
Madrid
Malaga
Milan
Munich
Nice
Palma
Paris
Rome
Stockholm
Stuttgart
Venice
Vienna
Warsaw
Zurich

I would like to hear people's views on any of the above, prices for accommodation, links, safety and generally their experiences of these places. Any pics would be cool too.

Cheers

aysihsK
01-03-2005, 11:17
first tell us what was the criteria you chose those places? ;) and what you expect from vacation - walking, sun tanning, sleeping :p or else what?? how can one recommend if we don't know your style of rest?

veejay
01-03-2005, 11:42
You have several destinations in Spain listed. I would go there -- maybe fly into Madrid, and then take trains/drive to other destinations. I had a lovely time there a few years ago in June. Wasn't too expensive, although I was staying with friends. Food was fabulous, and the people were lovely as well..

Kseniya
01-03-2005, 11:43
of course BARCELONA!:agree: :agree: :agree: it's one of my favourite places! it is better to live at Costa Dorado or Costa Bravo...
if you will go to travel in summer just remember that it is very hot there....!:)

Aleydis
01-03-2005, 11:50
I third on Spain! Tonnes of things to see and taste. I backpacked in the summer of 2000 with a friend of mine and had one single bad experience -- almost got mugged in early morning Barsa. The rest of the trip was terrific. :)

aysihsK
01-03-2005, 11:55
I vote for Italy :thumbsup:

You could arrive to Milano take a car travel to Gardi lake, to Veronf then go down to Florence then to Rome and finally at the end of the trip spend a couple of days at the sea side by Rome :drink: :thumbsup:

Kseniya
01-03-2005, 11:59
da, I forgot to mention South of Italy as well:shame:

russianinfantry
01-03-2005, 12:33
Keep your opinions coming.

aysihsK- I didn't specify what I wanted on purpose, because I like/want everything! Sights, sun, sea, sand and..............sangria?

I've been to Alicante as a child about 8 times. I like Spain but I'm not sure the Spanish like the Brits ;)

I've never been to Italy, so I tempted to go there, but I wouldn't mind something a little unusual too.

Cheers

Kseniya
01-03-2005, 12:38
1st... you want smth unusual???? maybe you should go to Caucasus then?:D
I advise you to climb up Elbrus mountain. Very unusual vacation, how do you think?:) I have been to this region for 12 times and I know the situation.

2nd - go to Goa, very nice place:) India itself is a very interesting country.

russianinfantry
01-03-2005, 12:40
Ok, let's get back to my original posting.....

I listed all the places I can choose from, so when I mean unusual, I mean the lesser known places out of the ones i submitted. :o

I appreciate the responses....cheers

Kseniya
01-03-2005, 12:44
Ok :) I was joking.
Nice is a very cute city. I was there and I can say that it's a very nice place for vacation as well as Cannes. South of France is a piece of heaven. You can always rent a car and travel along Cote d'-Azur ... I am going to South of France in summer...when is summer?:(

veejay
01-03-2005, 12:48
if you are looking for something unusual, bucharest certainly fits the bill. went about 5 years ago, and spent relatively little time in bucharest, but more time in the carpathians, mostly in eastern romania, and more than anything around iasi. it was great, but not light travelling. conditions were surprisingly primitive compared to here. e.g., where hot water was available, it was only available from late at night till early morning and then not every day. food was great, people were interesting. scenary was unbelievably gorgeous. thankfully, had a friend who speaks romanian with me...not many english speakers around. some of the most stunning monasteries i've ever seen...

aysihsK
01-03-2005, 12:55
Originally posted by russianinfantry
Ok, let's get back to my original posting.....

I listed all the places I can choose from, so when I mean unusual, I mean the lesser known places out of the ones i submitted. :o

I appreciate the responses....cheers

one more "?" how long you plan your vacation for? 1 or 2 weeks?

russianinfantry
01-03-2005, 13:09
probably a week maximum

Swordello
01-03-2005, 13:49
The popular destinations you listed will all be mobbed in the summer (especially Florence), so the earlier in June you go, the better. I think Bucharest will be less crowded. Whatever turns you on.

Florence and Tuscany in general are unbelievable. You can stay outside the city to save money (and nerves) and rent a car to visit other cities around, like Siena, Lucca, Arezzo, Pisa. I've travelled a lot and nothing I've seen compares to the mixture of art, architecture, food, scenery and general pleasantness of Tuscany. Particularly since you say you've never been to Italy, you don't know what you've been missing. My favorite country of all time.

Stockholm's beautiful and if you like to sail there's plenty of that; otherwise, it's kind of boring and you can do it in two days (no offense intended to any Swedes).

Switzerland is also beautiful. Lugano is just stunning. You also have to see Luzerne to believe it. Haven't been to Basel and don't remember much about Geneva--too long ago.

Have fun and write postcards

veejay
01-03-2005, 14:07
IMHO -- Geneva is interesting only insofar as all the UN agencies...it's gorgeous. But, I can't imagine spending a week there on holiday. it's also bloody expensive...