PDA

View Full Version : GIBDD fines

zingo
01-04-2010, 09:04
A friend yesterday (foreigner...) made a superb u-turn on the sadovoe koltso, as he was stucked in traffic jam in his way, and all was clean in the other way. He told me he carefully looked before doing his u-turn, and quickly run away. Or tried... A DPS car was in ambush of course :)

As he drove a big Range Rover and didn't speak Russian at all, the cop fell the good deal... He made him afraid about "prison", said the car would stay in the street etc.

As a result my friend forgot a 5000 rub note in the cop car!

If he would have looked at the official list of fines and sentences for traffic violation, maybe he would have thought a bit more :11513:

Новые штрафы ГИБДД 2010 года (http://www.prav-net.ru/novye-shtrafy-gibdd/)

At least one patrol cop now for sure loves british foreigners :)

Vadim
01-04-2010, 09:08
He's lucky your mate. Did he cross two white lines? Police is crazy about them :-)

Ekaterina
01-04-2010, 09:55
The alternative of 5 000 note was his driving lisence. It's impossible to make a superb u-turn on sadovoye without crossing the two white lines.

Judge
01-04-2010, 10:40
5000 sounds about right,your mate doesn't speak russian,wants the problem to go away.

Usually there are two police guys in the car,so they would have split it 50/50..

FatAndy
01-04-2010, 11:00
Experienced people told me that "price of question" is between 3K and 10K, if you don't want to sacrifice your license. Depends on your explanation skills and inspector' attitude. So 5K is like RRP. :D

Matt24
01-04-2010, 11:06
Experienced people told me that "price of question" is between 3K and 10K, if you don't want to sacrifice your license. Depends on your explanation skills and inspector' attitude. So 5K is like RRP. :D

This morning, 700 Rur. NY Yankees hat & 3/4 full pack of Dunhill 'Blue', is there a prize for GAI-bargaining meister?

FatAndy
01-04-2010, 11:22
Then it's superskills, Matt, congratulations. I know cases when 10K rub was not enough.

Judge
01-04-2010, 11:29
This morning, 700 Rur. NY Yankees hat & 3/4 full pack of Dunhill 'Blue', is there a prize for GAI-bargaining meister?

I hear that Chelsea has many fans in Russia,you would do better if you have a few chelsea things stashed away..;)

Viola
01-04-2010, 11:37
Isn't the fine for this kind of violation 1500 rub now?
He might ask for "kvitantsia" (ticket) and pay at Sberbank. That would drive fat GAI beasts mad :devilish: but only possible if you have enough time.

В любом другом случае, при пересечении двойной сплошной, можно отделаться штрафом. Например:
За пересечение двойной сплошной для разворота по новым Правилам (пункт 3 статьи 12.15) водителю придется заплатить штраф в размере от 1000 до 1500 рублей. Но это совсем не лишение прав.
Следующее нарушение это поворот налево через двойную сплошную полосу. Теперь данное нарушение будет расцениваться как выезд на встречную полосу, соединенное с поворотом налево. Караться оно будет штрафом в размере от 1000 до 1500 рублей.
SOURCE (http://www.zagai.ru/?important=7)

nbogaard
01-04-2010, 13:15
It is one of the things I like about having a driver. He explains to the GBDD officer when he gets out of the car that I will not pay any "fines" on the spot and that they should just write the protocol and he will pay the fine. Usually, when they find out, they just let him go.

Voodoo
01-04-2010, 15:30
Can I ask a related question please.

Is the GAI allowed to stop a driver who has not committed any offenses for a document and vehicle check? Say I am happily driving along minding my own business and not committing any driving violations. All of a sudden a GAIshnik steps out with his baton, stops me and asks to see my documents. If I haven't committed anything, am I obliged to show him my documents? Is he allowed to stop me?

What does the law say about this? Thanks in advance.

PS. I am not a driver, and don't have a car here, but am thinking of getting one.

Vadim
01-04-2010, 16:02
They couldn't before. I think the same is now. However, they can always find an excuse to stop. There is a practical sense in what I told: you can only be fined for an offence which was a reason for them to stop you, in other words you cannot just get fined for what policemen cannot see without stopping a car e.g. first aid kit, belt, etc. in such a case there is a strong reason to complain, as policeman will never prove the excuse for stopping before his boss. Must be two offences for policemen's peace of mind.

Voodoo
01-04-2010, 20:11
They couldn't before. I think the same is now. However, they can always find an excuse to stop. There is a practical sense in what I told: you can only be fined for an offence which was a reason for them to stop you, in other words you cannot just get fined for what policemen cannot see without stopping a car e.g. first aid kit, belt, etc. in such a case there is a strong reason to complain, as policeman will never prove the excuse for stopping before his boss. Must be two offences for policemen's peace of mind.

So if a GAIshnik stops me prosto tak and asks for documents what do I do? Do I tell him to f*ck off as I haven't done anything? Do I comply and give him a chance to find other problems with the car?

Vadim
01-04-2010, 20:24
You're not necessarily getting a fine when stopped. I normally ask what's wrong, and see what's happening. Don't be abusive, it's just common sense, and all will finish nice without any ticket issued. I've never got any troubles when reminding them that they cannot stop me just for fun. They become nice :-) when see a prospective troublemaker. Nothing to worry about, VooDoo

Judge
01-04-2010, 20:33
They can stop you for fun and they do..

Driving is just like walking the streets and metro...The police can pull you over for no reason and ask for your driving documents...Make sure that you have all the right documents when driving.

Vadim
01-04-2010, 20:40
Sure, otherwise they will leave a car with them. It will cost a fortune to get it back from a designated parking. Fees are above imagination :-)

Judge
01-04-2010, 20:44
If they take your car away,, how much to get it back?????

Vadim
01-04-2010, 20:49
If they take your car away,, how much to get it back?????

I keep a full set of licences with me all the times :-) It's never happened to me, all I know is just from friends. People pay for truck booking, transportation, storage and a penalty. None of there fees is reasonable. That's for sure.

Judge
01-04-2010, 20:54
What do you mean ''full set of licences ''
Do you have more than one driving licence?
Also, is it true that the GAI guys can't ask for my passport..

Vadim
01-04-2010, 21:03
What do you mean ''full set of licences ''
Do you have more than one driving licence?

It was a joke. I have Russian, one foreign and one international. They are always with me. Just one is okay :-) but it's a headache to look for one if not in place, in the wallet, I mean. As for passport, I don't know, I have never been asked for one, but I speak russian with Moscow accent, maybe that's the point?

Judge
01-04-2010, 21:22
It was a joke. I have Russian, one foreign and one international. They are always with me. Just one is okay :-) but it's a headache to look for one if not in place, in the wallet, I mean. As for passport, I don't know, I have never been asked for one, but I speak russian with Moscow accent, maybe that's the point?

I forgot, you're in England..

Matt24
01-04-2010, 21:43
I forgot, you're in England..

Not since the uprising Judge old bean! The Glorious Republic's got it's own flag and stamps just like a real country only smaller.

Vadim
01-04-2010, 21:54
you're in England..

It's sorted, moving on Sunday to Cork, Ireland :-)

Judge
01-04-2010, 21:54
By the looks of it(had to use google) it's also got a circle of stars..

Judge
01-04-2010, 21:56
It's sorted, moving on Sunday to Cork, Ireland :-)

Nice one,good luck with the move..

Vadim
01-04-2010, 21:58
Nice one,good luck with the move..

Thanks, really. Honestly just failed to get anything suitable in Moscow. Tried so hard, but useless. Next time :-) Sorry about offtop.

MickeyTong
02-04-2010, 13:15
A friend yesterday (foreigner...)

I'm surprised that you actually have foreign friends.

FatAndy
02-04-2010, 13:26
2 MickeyTong:
I'm surprised that - "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio..."(C) ;)

zingo
02-04-2010, 14:39
I'm surprised that you actually have foreign friends.

You have a very narrow mind and would be even more surprised to know who I am.

FlakeySnowballer
02-04-2010, 23:19
[QUOTE=Viola;642548]Isn't the fine for this kind of violation 1500 rub now?
He might ask for "kvitantsia" (ticket) and pay at Sberbank. That would drive fat GAI beasts mad :devilish: but only possible if you have enough time.

Viola you make me laugh. For crossing two white lines 5000 rubles is quite cheap price considering that the driver had land cruiser and didn't speak russian and this occasion was in the center of Moscow.

Vadim
03-04-2010, 01:32
Isn't the fine for this kind of violation 1500 rub now]

viola, thank you. Yes, I just made my own research. They have changed the Code two years ago. I didn't know about that. Drivers normally lost their licences - before 2008 - for any maneuver upon the lines. Now everyone can put at risk lives of others without a licence loss. Maximum fine is thirty pounds.

GaNozri
03-04-2010, 02:50

Yes its true. A DPS cop cannot ask you for any documents other than DL, registration, insurance and TO. Only a PPS cop can ask for your passport. However, if you're pulled over at a DPS checkpoint they usually have a PPS or OMON cop sitting there just in case.

zingo
03-04-2010, 07:13
viola, thank you. Yes, I just made my own research. They have changed the Code two years ago. I didn't know about that. Drivers normally lost their licences - before 2008 - for any maneuver upon the lines. Now everyone can put at risk lives of others without a licence loss. Maximum fine is thirty pounds.

There are more ways than a U-turn on the sadovoe to put others' life at risk. Considering how some persons drive even without u-turn...

About fines, there is probably an option for the DPS officer to bring the driver to Court to have his DL suspended. For example on the GIBDD list there is:

штраф - 5000 руб. или лишение права управления ТС на срок от 1 до 3 мес.

Don't know how the "or" applies, who decides etc. Probably it is HERE than forgetting a note in the DPS car can be useful, and not about the fine price itself.

Vadim
03-04-2010, 08:03
Viola was right. No licence loss for U turn. They've changed the Code. Your friend overpaid three thousand rubles. Traffic ticket would be cheaper.

FlakeySnowballer
03-04-2010, 10:52
Viola was right. No licence loss for U turn. They've changed the Code. Your friend overpaid three thousand rubles. Traffic ticket would be cheaper.

I was very wonder. If he decided to argue with their they will take him to the police station over and above if they want they will prove that he will move to the counter stripe of the road. It is very easy for them to turn the law as they want i think it is better not to provoke them

GaNozri
03-04-2010, 14:14
I was very wonder. If he decided to argue with their they will take him to the police station over and above if they want they will prove that he will move to the counter stripe of the road. It is very easy for them to turn the law as they want i think it is better not to provoke them

This kind of attitude is what feeds corruption and the sense of beeing above the law among russian cops. I absolutely disagree! You MUST argue with them, must provoke them. You must NEVER give them bribes, always opt for a legal ticket. Otherwise nothing will ever change.

Moreover, in my experience the harder you are on them, the easier they are with you. When you ask for a protocol 9 times out of ten they'll let you go, coz they don't want to waste 30 minutes, during which they can stop a fat scared Brit, who will give them 5000 for nothing.

yakspeare
03-04-2010, 14:41
Bribery is an interesting situation for us Aussies....thankfully i have never had to do it in Russia or Uzbekistan and I think i am unlikely to ever will.

Simply because of this(our government website):

Local Laws
When you are in Russia, be aware that local laws and penalties, including ones that appear harsh by Australian standards, do apply to you. If you are arrested or jailed, the Australian Government will do what it can to help you but we can't get you out of trouble or out of jail.
Information on what Australian consular officers can and cannot do to help Australians in trouble overseas is available from the Consular Services Charter.
It is illegal to photograph military installations and establishments or sites of strategic importance, including airports. There are also restrictions on the use of commercial film, television or camera equipment in public areas, such as Red Square in Moscow. Hand-held home video cameras are permitted.
Penalties for drug offences are severe and include lengthy prison terms served in local jails.
Driving with a blood alcohol level greater than zero is illegal.
Some Australian criminal laws, such as those relating to money laundering, bribery of foreign public officials, terrorism and child sex tourism, apply to Australians overseas. Australians who commit these offences while overseas may be prosecuted in Australia.
Australian authorities are committed to combating sexual exploitation of children by Australians overseas. Australians may be prosecuted at home under Australian child sex tourism laws. These laws provide severe penalties of up to 17 years imprisonment for Australians who engage in sexual activity with children under 16 while outside of Australia.

if your bribe attempt fails or something else happens, we cant even go to our own consulate for assistance if things go real wrong...we are automatically in the wrong if we offer or accept bribes. We cant offer even the simplest bribe or we risk jail time...the more foreigners who pay bribes just make it more likely for shake downs in the future...personally i would probably dispute it(in the nicest possible way) or insist on court action etc...probably will call their bluff but if not i know i will be doing things clean and clear and correct relation to the law.

Vadim
03-04-2010, 17:10
Aye, and there's the same punishment in Russia for those forgetting their five thousand notes inside of patrolling cars, and those unlucky to find them on back seats :-)

Judge
03-04-2010, 20:58
Yes its true. A DPS cop cannot ask you for any documents other than DL, registration, insurance and TO. Only a PPS cop can ask for your passport. However, if you're pulled over at a DPS checkpoint they usually have a PPS or OMON cop sitting there just in case.

The OMON guys are out in force at check points on the MKAD today..Saw a few of them and other police guys with guns checking car after car...I never knew that OMON guys were at the check points until today..

About police not being able to stop drivers for nothing....
The wife was stopped today,I told her to say to the police guy,why did they stop her....The police guy said...'' a car like yours has been reported stolen,documents please''..

Vadim
03-04-2010, 21:06
Clever policeman, the old proverb below is right about him... Cannot use Russian, but it can be translated as: 'he doesn't put his hand in a pocket to find a word' - 'za slovom v karman ne lezet'

Judge
03-04-2010, 21:27
This kind of attitude is what feeds corruption and the sense of beeing above the law among russian cops. I absolutely disagree! You MUST argue with them, must provoke them. You must NEVER give them bribes, always opt for a legal ticket. Otherwise nothing will ever change.

Moreover, in my experience the harder you are on them, the easier they are with you. When you ask for a protocol 9 times out of ten they'll let you go, coz they don't want to waste 30 minutes, during which they can stop a fat scared Brit, who will give them 5000 for nothing.

It's easy for you to say,you know how to deal with these guys...
Zingo's friend doesn't speak russian and he was in the wrong,the guy is probably on a visa here and doesn't want to have a record..
Take my wife,she's like a lamb that's just been born (she's a new driver)you get 3 or 4 cops giving you sh*t,licence taken off you,banged up for a few days and so on...You do what you can and get rid of the problem there and then...

You're right by saying that drivers feed corruption ,but there are other ways to stop this sort of corruption..

Ways to stop feeding this corruption.
1,It all starts at driving schools, it costs about 16000 ru to get a licence .8000ru for the driving part of the test and 8000ru for the computer test..
I wonder how many drivers have paid a part of their licence or in full???
2,Driving Instructors, make sure that all instructors are qualified and have been driving for atleast 5 years...Not some young gun who just past his test and thinks he can teach new drivers how to drive...
I see instructors with learners everyday on the road,and never have i seen an instructor tell the learner to stop at a zebra crossing...
3,More severe fines for traffic violations.
4,Pay the Traffic Police more money.

I often think to myself when I'm on the roads here....I wonder how many russian driver would pass the driving test in England???

Vadim
03-04-2010, 21:37
I don't know what can push one to buy a licence. It's a matter of personal and others safety. First and foremost :-)

Judge
03-04-2010, 21:40
I don't know what can push one to buy a licence. It's a matter of personal and others safety. First and foremost :-)

I hear that in some cases you will fail your test if you don't pay what's asked..
Computers can be easily played with..

Judge
03-04-2010, 21:48
Don't get me wrong now,there are many good drivers out there...
Today I did a 70km bike ride near the town Domodedovo,country roads,nice ride...99% of the drivers showed us bikers respect,moving over,giving way to us bikers when turning,putting the horn on to tell us they are passing.
Really polite driving..the way it should be.

Vadim
03-04-2010, 22:06
Don't know... There is a strong probability to change software code, but one can always complain if certain that s/he is right. The more risky is driving test, there are too sets of pedals :-) Offices could theoretically confuse a young driver. I don't know what to do if so... Let me make a desperate assumption that there is still a few honest officers remained in a system :-) and I will sleep better tonight :-)

Viola
03-04-2010, 22:21
The OMON guys are out in force at check points on the MKAD today..Saw a few of them and other police guys with guns checking car after car...I never knew that OMON guys were at the check points until today..

About police not being able to stop drivers for nothing....
The wife was stopped today,I told her to say to the police guy,why did they stop her....The police guy said...'' a car like yours has been reported stolen,documents please''..

I think this is because of Easter. There are always stricter security measures during religious holidays, and this year they could be even more fierce because of the recent events.

Judge
03-04-2010, 22:22
You're right, the driving part is easier to fix..

Don't worry,you will sleep well..
There are many fine police officers here,like in any other police force in the world,you will find bad police...

Judge
03-04-2010, 22:25
I think this is because of Easter. There are always stricter security measures during religious holidays, and this year they could be even more fierce because of the recent events.

Must be the combination of the two because today I saw more than 5 cars at nearly every police check I passed today..

Vadim
03-04-2010, 22:44
2 Judge. True. As for Russia specifically, these men in the uniform were made beggars on the roads. Country pays them just a little that's why all this sh!t happens. There's a simple formula how to bring the situation to normal, but we don't want be back to totalitarian state, even if it promises a close to zero criminality level. It could take some time in a democratic environment to achieve a similar result. In my opinion, twenty years are long enough, but did we have a proper democracy yet? So all we need is to wait. As for bribes, it's really a drivers' choice to pay or not. I normally leave without even a ticket, because always insist on a protocol. Police doesn't like extra paperwork and more likely will simply let you go with a verbal warning. Just believe it, it's based on experience.

FlakeySnowballer
03-04-2010, 22:51

Typical russian position. It is better not to break the rules. Don't you think so? It is you decision do it or not.
My classmate works in GIPDD now and yes i can understand him then such guys starts to be rude with him even then they broke the rules.

Vadim
03-04-2010, 22:56
Aye, what's a strange lad, he lives in Russia and has a such incompartable typical Russian point of view :-)

FlakeySnowballer
03-04-2010, 23:07
Aye, what's a strange lad, he lives in Russia and has a such incompartable typical Russian point of view :-)

Yes typical russian position depends on the car you have- "Drive as i want".
I know one dean from my first university. His position - i drive as i want cause the son of the GIPDD policeman in the XXX city studies at my faculty

Voodoo
03-04-2010, 23:14
You're right, the driving part is easier to fix..

Don't worry,you will sleep well..
There are many fine police officers here,like in any other police force in the world,you will find bad police...

I recall seeing an article on the TV news here a couple of months back. Somebody made GIBDD inspectors who actually drive patrol cars (as opposed to those doing office work at the stations) actually take the computer test. Out of the batch of actual serving, driving officers who take the test every single one failed the test. Not just failed to get every single question right, but scored so low that they would have failed the entire test.

Vadim
03-04-2010, 23:30
There must be a reasonable explanation in this situation. I don't think police traditionally buys licences for themselves :-)

Judge
03-04-2010, 23:34
I recall seeing an article on the TV news here a couple of months back. Somebody made GIBDD inspectors who actually drive patrol cars (as opposed to those doing office work at the stations) actually take the computer test. Out of the batch of actual serving, driving officers who take the test every single one failed the test. Not just failed to get every single question right, but scored so low that they would have failed the entire test.

That's shocking..On the test you get asked 20 questions, you can only get 2 wrong.

Today on the MKAD, I saw a police car in the 4th lane move towards an exit without even bothering to indicate once..He wasn't in a rush,didn't even care. to let other drivers know that he's switching lanes..

Vadim said...

Other drivers don't care about 'others safety' not one bit...
It's like when you ask someone... why don't you stop at zebra crossing..driver answers... because the car behind will smash me from behind....Fook me,, I'd prefer to have the back of my car all smashed up than knock some innocent person trying to cross the road..
Jeeeze, a car can be fixed..

In Kazan this week,a 5 year year old girl was killed when she was crossing with her mum on a zebra crossing...Mum is ok, but her kid is dead.Come on, atleast stop for kids and old people..

Judge
03-04-2010, 23:40
There must be a reasonable explanation in this situation. I don't think police traditionally buys licences for themselves :-)
:idea:
Who said anything about buying...

Vadim
03-04-2010, 23:43
Agree, lots of wankers on the Moscow roads, but there are still many proper drivers who respect people. Or maybe I have hot my licence too long ago :-) Anyway we have a popular health and safety rule, which helps normal people to survive on the road, in Russian it's called the three D rule. Following these three Ds helps to avoid troubles :-)

Ibanez
03-04-2010, 23:46
Vadim, what's the "3 D Rule"?

FlakeySnowballer
03-04-2010, 23:48
Vadim, what's the "3 D Rule"?

Give the way to the idiot

Vadim
03-04-2010, 23:54
Not an idiot :-) Just a fool :-) There are three words in the phrase Flakey told, every starts with D in Russian :-) sounds like DAI DOROGU DURAKU :-)

Judge
04-04-2010, 00:09
Never heard about this 3D rule,but it's best to play it safe and let fools have their way..

One of the rules to learn here is to know what kinda drivers are out there..
From the battered russian car to 10 to 15 year old BMW's(mad drivers) to your top of the range 4 X 4 drivers who think they are so rich that they can push you out of the way...

Ibanez
04-04-2010, 00:11
I treat 'em all with the utmost respect...from a dirty Lada to a shiny new Beemer...just go with the flow.

Vadim
04-04-2010, 00:12
As for police test :-) How else they could get licences? From another side, there is no logic, if they make money from bribes, they should know the rules, at least basics, e.g. something sufficient to pass a test themselves, this is not in depth knowledge of the entire regulation, you'll agree...

Judge
04-04-2010, 00:16
I treat 'em all with the utmost respect...from a dirty Lada to a shiny new Beemer...just go with the flow.

Drivers do respect each other, now and again.

I think it's cool when you're driving out of Moscow and the on coming cars flash their lights at you,, to warn you that there's a cop car up ahead..At first I thought they trying to tell me I had no lights on..

Judge
04-04-2010, 00:23
As for police test :-) How else they could get licences? From another side, there is no logic, if they make money from bribes, they should know the rules, at least basics, e.g. something sufficient to pass a test themselves, this is not in depth knowledge of the entire regulation, you'll agree...

I'm sure they know the basics..
Speed limit,no over taking, u-turns, parking...and the favourite one.... drink driving..

I think these 5 rules are the ones that people break most..

Ibanez
04-04-2010, 00:24
LOL...cool!! I've driven in over 10 countries and the best advice I have heard is "blend in". Even here in Russia our fleet manager says that if you follow the "correct driving regulations" you will probably be in an accident before long...best to check out your fellow drivers and assimilate...

FlakeySnowballer
04-04-2010, 00:26
LOL...cool!! I've driven in over 10 countries and the best advice I have heard is "blend in". Even here in Russia our fleet manager says that if you follow the "correct driving regulations" you will probably be in an accident before long...best to check out your fellow drivers and assimilate...

He is mistaken

Ibanez
04-04-2010, 00:28
Why?

FlakeySnowballer
04-04-2010, 00:29
Why?

My experience

Vadim
04-04-2010, 00:31
2 Ibanez. Exactly. When I drove my first time in the UK, I thought how dangerous these British motorists do behave on the road, they slowed down on the yellow light, as in Russia it's a signal to accelerate... It took me for some time to get a habit for this :-) and avoid collisions with cars in front of me.

Judge
04-04-2010, 00:32
"blend in" on, but respect the rules, even if others around you break them,there's no need to join in..

It's like when everyone is coming back from dachaland..Traffic back to Moscow is mad on a Sunday afternoon...
A road that's got two lanes is easily turned in a 4 lane road and more often you can see cars going on the opposite road, just to cut traffic.:9451:
Sorry but I wont "blend in" this way, i'll stick to my lane not and spend an extra hour in a traffic jam....

I know that you have to me agressive when you're driving in the city,but I'll never drive inside Moscow.My beloved Metro is alot faster and safter than the roads ..

Ibanez
04-04-2010, 00:35
okey-dokey...if I drove the way I was taught in the beginning and kept to the common rules I learnt (which are basic to most countries) then no problem...

But what do you do when Leningradsky Shosse - which has 4 lanes - turns into 5 at a certain stage? Do you follow the rest of the traffic or insist that " I'm legal!!!" while being semi-sandwiched between two trucks?..

Judge
04-04-2010, 00:36
Exactly. When I drove my first time in the UK, I thought how dangerous these British motorists do behave on the road, they slowed down on the yellow light, as in Russia it's a signal to accelerate... It took me for some time to get a habbht for this :-) and avoid collisions with cars in front of me.

:applause::applause::applause:

That cracked me up..

Judge
04-04-2010, 00:44
okey-dokey...if I drove the way I was taught in the beginning and kept to the common rules I learnt (which are basic to most countries) then no problem...

But what do you do when Leningradsky Shosse - which has 4 lanes - turns into 5 at a certain stage? Do you follow the rest of the traffic or insist that " I'm legal!!!" while being semi-sandwiched between two trucks?..

If your pushed out of your lane then you can't help it, me I try my best to stay in my lane because if someone bumps into me I know i'm in the right..

You are a city driver, you need to be more agressive that's one of the reasons why I wont drive in Moscow because come rush hour the roads are mad...

Ibanez
04-04-2010, 00:54
Judge, as I said previously, I drive according to the country I'm in...

Sometimes I take a peek at the rearview mirror and see a set of horns I'm growing...

Yes, you need to stand up for yourself, but sometimes it's not worth it...where I come from we have loads of roadrage which ends up in cold-blooded murder. I'm not licensed to carry in Moscow so will avoid confrontations of this sort. In the end, all I want to do is get to the destination I am going to with the least amount of fuss and headache. If I can do this with public transport then I do so: Moscow has excellent facilities for this. If I'm stuck with my car then I start to bitch and moan :-)

Main point I want to make is that - if you do not fit into the Moscow way of driving ie aggressive/pushy you will not get anywhere....you need to blend. If not, you'll get there but a donkey probably would have been faster :-)

Judge
04-04-2010, 00:55

Check out other drivers,copy the way people overtake here on the MKAD and motorways,no thanks..

Like I said earlier in this thread, I was on about bike ride out of Moscow, country lanes... I gave up counting the flowers and crosses on the side of the roads where people have crashed and died...It's a really sad sight, sometimes you see family members laying flowers..
Me i'll drive near the speed limit,correct lane, overtake the way I was taught,not follow other drivers who break the rules so they can get home from their dachas or work in a shorter time..

Judge
04-04-2010, 01:02
Judge, as I said previously, I drive according to the country I'm in...

Sometimes I take a peek at the rearview mirror and see a set of horns I'm growing...

Yes, you need to stand up for yourself, but sometimes it's not worth it...where I come from we have loads of roadrage which ends up in cold-blooded murder. I'm not licensed to carry in Moscow so will avoid confrontations of this sort. In the end, all I want to do is get to the destination I am going to with the least amount of fuss and headache. If I can do this with public transport then I do so: Moscow has excellent facilities for this. If I'm stuck with my car then I start to bitch and moan :-)

Main point I want to make is that - if you do not fit into the Moscow way of driving ie aggressive/pushy you will not get anywhere....you need to blend. If not, you'll get there but a donkey probably would have been faster :-)

If I drove in this city I would be cursing and would get into a fight..That's another why I play it safe and don't drive in the city..

You know, I'm probably the only one who's happy when being in a traffic jam on the MKAD..

yakspeare
04-04-2010, 01:06
rush hour in the states can be worse ;)

YouTube- LA STORY Title 1 (Ch7 - Ch7)

Ibanez
04-04-2010, 01:08
Judge, I won't argue with that. I'm the one usually in the right hand lane trying not to be pushed off the road. Truth be told, my Mom died in a car accident when I was 4 years old and for myself I definitely don't consider the automobile to be an extension of my male libido. As I said earlier, and maybe it sounds stupid saying and repeating it but for me(1) the car is a tool to get around Moscow (although I definitely prefer the Metro when possible) and (2) When I drive I try to blend in with the local traffic flow in order not to get killed - that's all.

Judge
04-04-2010, 01:36
Sorry to hear about your Mum...

The only thing that annoys/scares me about lviing in Russia is the way some people driver, I love everything else about this country except the driving ..

Judge
04-04-2010, 01:49
rush hour in the states can be worse ;)

YouTube- LA STORY Title 1 (Ch7 - Ch7) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoU39Rpp4FI&feature=related)

More driving from America....

YouTube- REM Everybody Hurts

Vadim
04-04-2010, 02:59
Did anyone mentioned how Moscow drivers behave when approaching a pedestrian crossing on a red light? When there are no pedestrians? They don't stop and drive slow-slow thinking that doing so is not a violation of the rules :-)

DAVECEE
23-04-2010, 15:54
Sorry to hear about your Mum...

The only thing that annoys/scares me about lviing in Russia is the way some people driver, I love everything else about this country except the driving ..

The only place in the world where the cartoon 'Wacky Races' is considered as driving instruction video:)

Cooldude
23-04-2010, 16:02

Way to go, mate! Way to go!
:fireworks: