PDA

View Full Version : Driving with foreign driving licence

Gorkin
28-03-2010, 22:00
Need help!
Can anybody tell me if it is allowed to drive with a foreign licence in Russia?
I guess I should at least translate it. And then?

Thanks for your advice!

SV1973a
28-03-2010, 22:24
A notarised translation of your drivers licence is OK. Mind you, you will also need to present the original license, when stopped by the traffic police.
Besides the license, there are other documents that you always need to carry with you.

Vadim
28-03-2010, 22:49
Do you mean guys an int'l licence is no longer needed in russia?

tasel
28-03-2010, 23:02
Still it should be translated and can be used only for 6 months. After six months the person either has to cross the border or take a russian DL.

cantunay
28-03-2010, 23:28
It is enough to have a notarized translation of your original driver`s license. You can use it for life time. It is proved by practice for 13 years in Moscow already:)

stacy
29-03-2010, 05:23
It is enough to have a notarized translation of your original driver`s license. You can use it for life time. It is proved by practice for 13 years in Moscow already:)

I am curious - were you ever stopped in those 13 years? Did you show your passport and did the officer check you entry visa?

I know you can always say you left you foreign passport at home and they don't have the right to ask for it, but curious if other people do the same.

tgma
29-03-2010, 08:48
I would still strongly advise an international driver's license - it's a de facto notarised translation of your home driver's license, and it just looks more official than a translation. Plus, you can get multiple versions, so if the policeman gets it into his head to confiscate your international license, this need not be a problem.

onlygod
29-03-2010, 22:40
I drove with International License, got stopped a number of times and it wasn't a problem.

istra123
31-03-2010, 11:23
I have a US driver's licence, but just to be safe went to AAA and got an international one as well. it has a translation in russian in there already. i think it was something like $20 and valid for one year.

BUell_X1
16-04-2010, 15:07
From what I heard you do not need an international driving license or a translated version, from the moment it is written in English "Driving Licence" and "Category A, C, etc..."

Now from a usage perspective it is better to get an international driving licence or "notarius" translated but they might ask for an "Apostile" ...

Even though, the bribery of the Milicia is so wide that they will always find a reason to ask you for money ...

I had the experience recently where the milicia was checking my international driving license and saying that the translation was not validated by a notorius ... ;-)))

Well my advise if you are in your right, just don't argue and tell him to ask for a fine.... Most of them unfortunately/fortunately have forgotten how to do it and it is such a long procedure that they are better off letting you go so that they can stop other car that will accept to pay the bribe.

Alex

SV1973a
13-05-2010, 14:21
This morning I was stopped by the GAI for a document check.

I only carried a notarised copy and translation of my foreign driver`s license. The officer wanted also to see the original of the driver`s license. Unfortunately, I had left this at home. He told me that my license was probably revoked, and that somebody should come and show him the license.
After some discussion, I called home and I explained to the houskeeper where she could find my license, and dictate the numbers on it.
That was sufficient for the officer, but he insisted that next time I need to always carry the original with me.

xavonseine
14-05-2010, 22:32
This morning I was stopped by the GAI for a document check.

I only carried a notarised copy and translation of my foreign driver`s license. The officer wanted also to see the original of the driver`s license. Unfortunately, I had left this at home. He told me that my license was probably revoked, and that somebody should come and show him the license.
After some discussion, I called home and I explained to the houskeeper where she could find my license, and dictate the numbers on it.
That was sufficient for the officer, but he insisted that next time I need to always carry the original with me.
The same rule applies in theory to the international driving licence: you have to have the original national driving licence with you too.

FYI however, I drove several years in Moscow and showing my international driving licence has always been sufficient for GAI. They never asked me for the original national version. I guess this is the official look of the document. Good to know as the international driving licence is like a spare one for you.