PDA

View Full Version : Whoever came up.........

MR FACADE
25-02-2005, 08:41
..... with the ilogical idea to ban me for 1 month from the Buy and Sell section (can you believe that!!!!!!!!!, i'm still laughing!!) can now rest assured that MR FACADE will no longer post on this site.
Everyday shows an inconsistant approach to dealing with what is percieved to be "unwanted comments"......... the reason why i say inconsistant is just take a look at the history of other posters , anyway who gives a toss.
So , please remove the MR FACADE from the members, he's gone, i'm gone and good riddence ,can't even be bothered to lurk in the place anymore.

And moderators, have some faith in the conviction of your actions , don't post any comments of justification like you always do in these frequent now, situations.

Olim
25-02-2005, 08:49
It seems as if those who post offensively or inappropriately on here are ok to do so if the mods know them. Its like "Oh, it's OK, I know (insert name) and he doesn't mean anything by it, he's just having a a laugh". That might well be the case, but those of us who are not part of "the inner circle" have no idea if this person is indeed having a laugh ir is just being an arse.
And those of us who don't drink in The Albion or wherever are castigated whenever we make a slightly risque comment coz it's assumed we are being deadly serious all the time.

It's the same with advertising. How many times have we read "There will be no advertising on this site" posted by a mod yet when it's one of their mates or some company who they have some links with wants to advertise their overpriced temporary accommodation/ furniture/ whatever, it's perfectly alright?

One policy for all or no policy at all please!

Halyavshik
25-02-2005, 09:46
Still singed from the flames of accusations of crossing a moderator line myself, I risk responding, Facade and Olim, that your suspicions are very unfounded. I can say personally and know of many instances where moderators have removed access or warned/deleted/edited for friends and strangers alike.

You may not see it, but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It's easy to try to point to a clique of some sort from some place, but it's not really true, and not really the problem, if you ask me.

The problem, I think, is, as you noticed Facade, consistency. There are indeed different actions, responses, opinions among moderators. But that's because the subject matter of the posts is equally varied. Meting out the appropriate response would be easy if all the violations and broken rules were always exactly the same. They're not. Some are blatant. Some are veiled. Some are from repeat offenders, some are first time.

It's easy to try and apply a uniform standard, but so much of what we're writing here is perception and hence interpreted differently by different people. There's no uniform style and content of posts.

We can lose tolerance and opinion all together and give blanket first time warning, second time removal of access from folder, and third time removal from site, but what good does that do ? Is that really the kind of environment we want to post in ? Not me, at least.

Someone once told me that they think moderating is a balance between keeping the entertainment and information camps happy. It seems to me, lately, given some of the complaints, that perhaps the site needs to be a little more informative and less entertainment (outside Bardak, that is).

Either way, it's the Admins and Mods who get the short end of the stick. Sometimes with reason, sometimes without.

It's certainly not a reason to huff off and announce your departure from the site.

boscoe
25-02-2005, 10:48
FACADE it was my idea - if you would like me to go into the reasons publicly then I will.

You already know why it was done...

Braders
25-02-2005, 15:15
Originally posted by Olim
It seems as if those who post offensively or inappropriately on here are ok to do so if the mods know them. Its like "Oh, it's OK, I know (insert name) and he doesn't mean anything by it, he's just having a a laugh". That might well be the case, but those of us who are not part of "the inner circle" have no idea if this person is indeed having a laugh ir is just being an arse.
And those of us who don't drink in The Albion or wherever are castigated whenever we make a slightly risque comment coz it's assumed we are being deadly serious all the time.

It's the same with advertising. How many times have we read "There will be no advertising on this site" posted by a mod yet when it's one of their mates or some company who they have some links with wants to advertise their overpriced temporary accommodation/ furniture/ whatever, it's perfectly alright?

One policy for all or no policy at all please!

Olim,

This is exactly why action was taken, i don't know the in's and out's of this particular one, but seeing as there was an mini uprising aimed at Mods and Admin then it was deemed that from now on we wouldn't overlook exactly what you have pointed out "Oh, it's OK, I know (insert name) and he doesn't mean anything by it, he's just having a a laugh".

I personally think that expat.ru has to have a few jokers and pranksters otherwise it will be as boring as wet weekend in Manchester :rolleyes: however, we shall act if ANY member repeatedly ignores the rules.

aysihsK
25-02-2005, 15:23
In my opionion :rolleyes: if aperson misbehaves in someparticular folder that someone should be banned from that exactly folder and not from all the rest ;)

Like once you ....:cussing: ...bad ppl....blocked me from expat cafe for a day! how can you bann someone from Buy and Sell section???????? :D or you mods are also selling cigars and are affraid of competition? :p

Olim
25-02-2005, 15:23
A mini uprising? I would hardly call a few people criticising the moderators then being shouted down an uprising.

Actually- I retract some of my words. It is by no means all the mods who are "us and them".

Ned Kelly
25-02-2005, 15:36
it was a disgraceful post containing hurtful statements towards an innocent individual and demonstrating a general lack of humanity on the writer's part.

but i haven't laughed so hard in ages!

Braders
25-02-2005, 15:38
Originally posted by aysihsK
In my opionion :rolleyes: if aperson misbehaves in someparticular folder that someone should be banned from that exactly folder and not from all the rest ;)

Like once you ....:cussing: ...bad ppl....blocked me from expat cafe for a day! how can you bann someone from Buy and Sell section???????? :D or you mods are also selling cigars and are affraid of competition? :p

That's exactly what we do, only in extreme cicrumstances where someone is flagrantly disregarding many of our finely tuned rules do we bung em of the site ;)

The blocking for a day was a joke, it's so long ago now that it's actually a myth, but who knows? it could become reality :D

Braders
25-02-2005, 15:41
Originally posted by Olim
A mini uprising? I would hardly call a few people criticising the moderators then being shouted down an uprising.

Well it felt like an uprising, my beeper was going off at all hours because members where reporting posts Left , Right and Center!

Note - to any git who plans to report a post, we don't actually carry beepers ;)

Random
25-02-2005, 15:46
Originally posted by Braders
Well it felt like an uprising, my beeper was going off at all hours because members where reporting posts Left , Right and Center!

Note - to any git who plans to report a post, we don't actually carry beepers ;)

Bang goes my fun for the weekend ....

:p