PDA

View Full Version : Residency and marriage in Russia for an older person

Soen
28-03-2010, 00:38
I'm a 57 year old American artist, who just happens to be in love with a Russian woman. The subject of marriage has come up, but I would be the one to make the move...to Russia. Sooo, I'm wondering about residing there as the spouse of a Russian citizen....could I achieve permanent residency somehow? Could I 'retire' in Russia as the spouse of a Russian citizen? What about my American social security benefits after age 62? Medical care for someone in my position? How often would I need to return to the US to keep my citizenship.... Any info would be appreciated.

Well, that should do for starters.... mama mia....

ilya25
28-03-2010, 01:03
I'm a 57 year old American artist, who just happens to be in love with a Russian woman. The subject of marriage has come up, but I would be the one to make the move...to Russia. Sooo, I'm wondering about residing there as the spouse of a Russian citizen....could I achieve permanent residency somehow? Could I 'retire' in Russia as the spouse of a Russian citizen? What about my American social security benefits after age 62? Medical care for someone in my position? How often would I need to return to the US to keep my citizenship.... Any info would be appreciated.

hi i will try to answer to the best of my knowledge
a) you need to make your marriage legal in both countries I know that you can marry you GF here thus your marriage will be official in Russia then you need to somehow validate it in the USA
b) first to come to Russia you will need a visa (for that you will need an inviation from your GF)
c) then you will need to apply to temp residency permit (look-up procedure on this forum)
d) once you have a residency permit you will be covered by Russian state medical plan
e) I doubt that you will be entitled to any Russian state pension
f) check with US social security office how you will be getting your US pension once you reside abroad
g) I don't think that you need to return to the USA to keep your US citizenship (drop email to US embassy in Russia to varify- they may also consult you on validating your russian marriage in US I guess)

stacy
28-03-2010, 04:23

I would really get a CPA for advice - the one that specializes in expatriate taxation and Russian taxation laws. You can find some in NYC area at least.
Some things will depend on your specific financial situation. Things like retirement might get complex.
One thing is for sure - you have to pay taxes while you're a US citizen even if you're living abroad - it's called World Wide Tax (IRS website has rules), so the CPA is great to have.

Soen
28-03-2010, 14:52
Thank you so much Ilya...I'm amazed with these quick and informative responses...so kind of you. Since I'm so new here, and so overwhelmed with oftentimes false information, your advice will definitely help to point me in the right direction.
I am curious though, about validating the marriage in the US...I think I understand why such a thing would be a good idea, but could you give me some specific reasons, based on your knowledge? Thanks again...:-)

Soen
28-03-2010, 15:02
Thanks Stacy, such great advice...a NY CPA....great info...I heard that although the laws keep changing with regard to ex-pats and taxes, the US doesn't seem very ex-pat friendly... so this is a great concern of mine. Thanks again for your informative response...:-)

Judge
29-03-2010, 00:01
Hi Soen..
For info about temporary Residency and permanent residency check out these two threads..

http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=48574

http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=158190

ilya25
29-03-2010, 03:46
Thank you so much Ilya...I'm amazed with these quick and informative responses...so kind of you. Since I'm so new here, and so overwhelmed with oftentimes false information, your advice will definitely help to point me in the right direction.
I am curious though, about validating the marriage in the US...I think I understand why such a thing would be a good idea, but could you give me some specific reasons, based on your knowledge? Thanks again...:-)

sure no problem at all i hope everything will work fine for you
as for validating marriage in the us - sorry I am not an expert here but I guess it might be helpful in resolving all money matters as well as for getting a residency satus for your wife in the usa

stacy
29-03-2010, 03:57
sure no problem at all i hope everything will work fine for you
as for validating marriage in the us - sorry I am not an expert here but I guess it might be helpful in resolving all money matters as well as for getting a residency satus for your wife in the usa

residency = taxes

ilya25
29-03-2010, 21:07
residency = taxes

yes I agree that tax matter should be looked at but you know to be a US green card holders has its own advantages also )

Bels
29-03-2010, 21:25
I am aware that UK pensions can be tranferred to other countries, and my guess is that it can happen for Americans. I am 55 and have been married to a Russian womean for about 6 years. I still think of working here for the time being.

I advise you to take it step by step. And may I say before you start ? That the steps are slow and difficult. The Russianj government are very slow here. They don't know what post is here, or telephione is here. Many tediuos visits and queing here, that is there style.

But my first advice is to see for yourself, visit your lovely lady here, and see if the effort is going to be worth it. But don't assume that will not have prolonged hassle, you will. What you need to find out is that it is worth it. No you are not too old. But you wil need to be able work and make good money here when you get here, as well as receiving any pension.

tgma
30-03-2010, 10:08
What you describe is very possible, but you will have to deal with the following issues:

Once you are married, you will need to get permanent residency, which is, as everyone says, a hassle, but ultimately is just a question of patience and time. The ideal would be to apply in the US, because it takes up to 6 months, and there is no single non-working visa available that allows you to live more than 90 days in Russia. Read through the TRP/PRP threads on this board, there's a lot of valuable information there. As long as you fit the categories (i.e. married legally to a Russian) and have all the documents in place, there is no reason why you can't get this, as long as you put in the hours and the queueing.

Social Security - I'm afraid this depends a lot on your status and country, and you would have to check this with your authorities at home.

I think that, once you have TRP, you have the right to free medical care here, but I'm not 100% sure of this. It will help a lot if you speak some Russian. Even free medical care can be much improved by paying a little, and there are good cheap private doctors here. (and bad expensive private doctors, and all the other permutations).

Like any other foreign countries, you get the most out of Russia if you dive in feet first and immerse yourself in it, (actually, the same could be said of marriage, too!). In general, I would say the unhappiest emigres are the ones who seek to re-create their former home existence in the foreign country. It's easier for you to become "Russian" than for Russia to become America (or any other foreign country).

But good luck! The benefits of a new love and a new adventure should far outweigh the minor burdens of a few months' paperwork!

annasophia
30-03-2010, 11:34
You can collect your social security from anywhere in the world there are ATM's. Just have the money direct deposited into a US bank account. Put your card in any machine anywhere and take out your cash.

Negotiate with the bank before you leave to give you a hefty daily withdrawal allowance so you won't be limited to paltry daily limits of $200 or so.

You can buy a private health insurance policy in Russia for a very reasonable fee. Talk to Andy B on this site. He can set you up. Standard issue *free* Russian healthcare can be sadly lacking, I would recommend you have a backup private policy. The payments for a private insurance policy can also be set up as a direct deduction from a US bank account.

You do not need to revisit the US to retain citizenship.

Andrei Garden
13-04-2010, 20:05
And, ofcourse, we'll be ready to provide you with great wedding photos featuring Kremlin as a backdrop. Obstacles only make a real love stronger.

ezik
13-04-2010, 21:13
And, ofcourse, we'll be ready to provide you with great wedding photos featuring Kremlin as a backdrop. Obstacles only make a real love stronger.

Please don't hijack the thread. You have received an infraction.