PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phones

Chads
27-03-2010, 15:48
Hi
Need to get myself a phone.
Want a decent phone with Windows Mobile (HTC maybe).
Can you buy a phone here with an English interface?
Ta

FatAndy
27-03-2010, 16:28
Can you buy a phone here with an English interface? - there is no officially imported phones with WM Eng. But you can visit Gorbushka, Savela and other radiomarkets and ask local sellers, they should have "grey" ones.
Another solution is to buy device with WM Rus, then find Eng firmware somewhere in th Net and reflash it by yourself.

Voodoo
27-03-2010, 17:24
Can you buy a phone here with an English interface? - there is no officially imported phones with WM Eng. But you can visit Gorbushka, Savela and other radiomarkets and ask local sellers, they should have "grey" ones.
Another solution is to buy device with WM Rus, then find Eng firmware somewhere in th Net and reflash it by yourself.

Or just take your HTC with Russian windows to any (literally any!) mobile phone repair place and ask them to install windows mobile in English. I've done this numerous times with no probs at all.

Watch out for the HTC Max 4G - you can't change that to English without sacrificing the WiMax functionality.

retype
12-04-2010, 23:45
you can try gorbushka, various types..

roro
15-04-2010, 00:14
Maybe I'm a noob but i didn't see any mobile phone which you cannot switch into english (from normal shops and not nessesary garbyshka). All my phones were in english without any problem...Iphone, Nokia, Samsung etc.

Matt24
15-04-2010, 07:47
Maybe I'm a noob but i didn't see any mobile phone which you cannot switch into english (from normal shops and not nessesary garbyshka). All my phones were in english without any problem...Iphone, Nokia, Samsung etc.

yeah I thought that, but then I re read it, it's the 'Windows Mobile' thing that has language issues, not using WM, like you I've never had a problem with getting my phone to 'talk' english.

Matt

MSchaffer
16-06-2010, 01:07
What type of Mobile services rates for unlimited usage... Plans for phones like the IPhone cost about per month.?

FatAndy
16-06-2010, 11:23
See mobile ops webstes - they have all info. Or just go to one of ops POS and ask about unlim tariffs.

Larry Paradine
19-06-2010, 19:20
Chads, there's one small irritant to buying a mobile phone in Russia. Purchasing the phone isn't a problem, if you've got the cash any phone dealer will sell you a phone, but getting a connection (подключение) is a different matter. Unless you have a Russian passport, you'll almost certainly have to get a Russian (relative, friend, employer, any Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov you meet in the street) to obtain it for you. Over the years I've had to rope in my wife to complete the formalities half a dozen times, and I've decided the first thing I'm going to do when I get my permanent residence permit (вид на жительство) is buy a new mobile phone, or at least a new sim card, even if I don't need it, just to have the satisfaction of plonking my shiny new Russian "паспорт" on the counter and saying "Nа! when I'm asked for it (I had hoped the TRP stamp in my British passport would suffice when I got it about 18 months ago, but I was cruelly disillusioned).

FatAndy
21-06-2010, 11:31
Larry, in Moscow it's quite easier - you can buy simcard with prepaid tariff in thin box in metro underpasses and at any of radiomarkets or just food/flea markets everywhere. There are a lot of southern-look sellers with tables where heaps of those boxes lie on. And they will not require your passport. The problem for foreigner could be that they sometimes speak bad Russian (it's hard to mention English at all) but it can be the option.

Larry Paradine
21-06-2010, 19:50
I've seen similar stalls at a huge market in Samara, but one look at the sellers was enough to deter me from buying anything. I'm sure their sim cards are "off the back of a lorry" (British slang), and buying any form of stolen goods is just asking for trouble. Thanks Andy, but I'll just wait till the day comes when I get my "паспорт" (I'm being optimistic, saying "when" not "if").

ReallyGreatConcerts
21-06-2010, 22:17
I don't have vid na jitel'stvo but I recently bought a MegaFon sim-card to use for mobile internet with a dongle - at a MegaFon service centre. They asked to see my visa, but didn't want any other documents, and gave me roaming without blinking.

I think MTS are a bit stricter about that, though.

FatAndy
22-06-2010, 12:46
2 Larry Paradine:
but one look at the sellers was enough to deter me from buying anything. - I understand you fully, as Victor Tsoi told - "следи за собой, будь осторожен" (С) - most of foreigners are more strict in observing laws than most of Russians.
But there can appear the situation (our life sometimes goes different and crooky ways) when getting slimbox with simcard from such seller will be the only solution. Just keep it in mind for a case.

2 ReallyGreatConcerts:
They asked to see my visa, but didn't want any other documents, and gave me roaming without blinking. - Megafon is more aggressive and trying to be more advanced in biting the piece of market now... so probably they try to attract customers this way, avoiding excessive bureaucracy procedures. Visa is on place, contract was prepaid, right? So no potential risk to get you as non-payer - why to complicate your and their life?