PDA

View Full Version : Shopping thread

Chads
27-03-2010, 15:47
Hi

I think a shopping thread would be handy. Been meaning to ask where to go to buy clothes, how to buy a mobile, where are decent supermarkets, where to buy adaptors. All good questions that currently don't have a place!

tvadim133
27-03-2010, 16:00
where to go to buy clothes= a lot of shopping malls here. Try M.Voykovskaya, there is a huge shopping mall with known brands and affordable even. Clothes in Moscow are more excpensive then in EU or USA (taxes, renting cost of stores).

how to buy a mobile: you can see a lot of stores EUROSET (ЕВРОСЕТЬ) where there are decent prices and good choice. How to buy? Take some money, ask the shop assitant to show you their assortment. :)

To by a specific adaptors can be a problem, but I bought several times in M.Video and Technosila for UK sockets.

There are lot of Consumer Electronic shops, and you can find the nearest from the place you live.

As for supermarkets: again, it depend upon the place where you live.

I used to go to Perekrestok and Viktoria (good assortment, prices), Azbuka Vkusa is OK but prices a bit higher (sometimes much higher).

Auchan - never go (too many people, lack of necessary staff (assortment), but prices 10% cheaper of avarage), though if you have 3 hours for shopping and lack of money, it is OK.

There are a lot of other supermakets, so look around your house.

Kartoshka
27-03-2010, 19:32
When you buy a mobile you will need your passport, as they use it to register the phone to your name.

I have bought adaptors at Gorbushka (light blue line, metro stop Bagratinovskaya) and Elektroniki na Presne (purple line, metro stop Ulitsa 1905 Goda).

AndreyS
27-03-2010, 19:38
When you buy a mobile you will need your passport, as they use it to register the phone to your name.

I have bought adaptors at Gorbushka (light blue line, metro stop Bagratinovskaya) and Elektroniki na Presne (purple line, metro stop Ulitsa 1905 Goda).

There are many places where you can buy a mobile phone and a SIM card without having to show your passport.
SIM card costs 100-150 r.

Vadim
27-03-2010, 19:49
I remember the time when mobile phone users needed special licences in Russia. Police checked their availability, just stopped people talking over mobiles and fined when someone failed to show his permit :-) It was a bit similar to current TV licencing in the UK.

AndreyS
27-03-2010, 20:31
I remember the time when mobile phone users needed special licences in Russia. Police checked their availability, just stopped people talking over mobiles and fined when someone failed to show his permit :-)

So do I. And it sounds so funny today! ;-)

tvadim133
27-03-2010, 21:18
I remember the time when mobile phone users needed special licences in Russia. Police checked their availability, just stopped people talking over mobiles and fined when someone failed to show his permit :-) It was a bit similar to current TV licencing in the UK.

I do not remember it at all, though I am a mobile user since 1996.

Vadim
27-03-2010, 21:29
I do not remember it at all, though I am a mobile user since 1996.

I think this Law was still in effect in 1996, although I am not a hundred per cent sure, not going to check anyway :-)

Kartoshka
28-03-2010, 09:43
There are many places where you can buy a mobile phone and a SIM card without having to show your passport.

Let me rephrase, then. When you buy a mobile take your passport with you, as they may use it to register the phone to your name.

Both times I've bought a phone here (2005 and 2008) I've been asked for my passport, and this was at regular mobile phone shops, so I assumed it happens all the time.

Vadim
28-03-2010, 10:06
They must ask for ID, but not every single of them follows this requirement. It's a pity.

SeaJay
01-04-2010, 11:01
I bought a phone in Evroset few months ago...no ID,no passport was asked which is normal in EU,too. They ask about your ID when you wanna buy phonecard.....though one of the pizza delivery service had a promotion with Beeline when I got an activated but empty card,ready to use....so it is easy to stay anonymus.

FatAndy
01-04-2010, 11:27
Mobile phone - no passport needed, SIM-card - usually mobile shops like Euroset', Svyaznoy, ION must ask for passport. Especially for postpaid contract.
But smaller kiosk owners usually don't ask for prepaid contracts, maybe just write your data from voice.