PDA

View Full Version : Cashing Personal Checks in Moscow?

sweetfart
27-03-2010, 14:40
I was pickpocketed two days ago and had my wallet and telephone stolen. My wallet included all the cash I had (stupid of me, I know) and my debit and credit cards. I already canceled my cards and the bank said they will mail a new one out here to me. But the problem is, it's going to take a while. I need cash and the only way I could get it is through my debit card. I searched through my luggage and found that I have my checkbook with me still. It's from a bank in the US that does not have a branch out here. So my question is: is there anywhere in Moscow that I could cash an American check? Would they need any more information than usual from me?

Please note that I am NOT talking about Traveler's Checks. I'm talking about personal checks.

Also, do any of you have experience with Western Union? If so, could you give me a brief run through of how that works. I just recently heard of it. That may be my last resort if the cards don't arrive in time.

Thanks

tvadim133
27-03-2010, 14:51
I am sorry for you!

As for checks (not travel), I can not help with the information, unfortunately.

As for Western Union, it is quite simple, the sender can go to any bank abroad and sent some ammount of money to you (he can mention, personal transfer) mentionning in the invoice your name and the passwords (or he can mention that the reciever will show his/her passport).

The reason for sneding shoudl be mentionned as well, what I write ususally "personal goal".

Then he can send the digital code to you via SMS or call you and you will write down it.

In 5 minutes after transferring you can go to any bank with Western Service, fill the receiver form, where you can write down the digital code, show your passport (or name the password) and get your money.

It is very simple!

sweetfart
27-03-2010, 14:56
Thank you!

And do you know the fees involved with this?

tvadim133
27-03-2010, 15:15
Thank you!

And do you know the fees involved with this?

Last time, I send about 10 000 rur and paid around 400 rur (that is 3-4%%).

Just in case the western union site

http://www.westernunion.com/info/selectCountry.asp

FatAndy
27-03-2010, 16:40
2 sweetfart:
One tip for future - always keep several Khabarovsks (or Franklins) under the mattress. Just for a case. ;)

You can also try to call to (appearing) Western banks there - BSGV or Raiffeizen - and explain your situation - maybe they can help you with your cheques... but don't forget they can require passport and other papers (visa, registration, TRP etc).

stacy
28-03-2010, 00:25
I was pickpocketed two days ago and had my wallet and telephone stolen. My wallet included all the cash I had (stupid of me, I know) and my debit and credit cards. I already canceled my cards and the bank said they will mail a new one out here to me. But the problem is, it's going to take a while. I need cash and the only way I could get it is through my debit card. I searched through my luggage and found that I have my checkbook with me still. It's from a bank in the US that does not have a branch out here. So my question is: is there anywhere in Moscow that I could cash an American check? Would they need any more information than usual from me?

Please note that I am NOT talking about Traveler's Checks. I'm talking about personal checks.

Also, do any of you have experience with Western Union? If so, could you give me a brief run through of how that works. I just recently heard of it. That may be my last resort if the cards don't arrive in time.

Thanks

Personal checks - City does this for corporate clients in their Moscow City office, if your company has a relationship with them already - it might not be too long to arrange. They will cash your personal checks from any US banks.

is4fun
28-03-2010, 00:29
Personal checks - City does this for corporate clients in their Moscow City office, if your company has a relationship with them already - it might not be too long to arrange. They will cash your personal checks from any US banks.

How are the cheques cleared?

ilya25
28-03-2010, 00:41

Thanks

Hi sorry to hear about your money problems - the better option for you would be to ask your friends or family to send you money via western union or moneygram - you can get them almost instantly in many Russian banks

Cashing personal checks can be a problematic - not many banks do the - and they usually take them for collection -meaning they will send them in the us and will pay once they get money so it will take time and will cost you a bit

Another option for is to loan any valuables at a pawn shop

ilya25
28-03-2010, 00:45

Thanks

Hi sorry to hear about your money problems - the better option for you would be to ask your friends or family to send you money via western union or moneygram - you can get them almost instantly in many Russian banks

Cashing personal checks can be a problematic - not many banks do the - and they usually take them for collection -meaning they will send them in the us and will pay once they get money so it will take time and will cost you a bit

See more details about banks that offer that service and costs (sorry it is in Russian)

http://mastertalk.ru/topic18930.html

Another option for you is to loan any valuables at a pawn shop

stacy
28-03-2010, 19:04
How are the cheques cleared?

Not sure. I guess it's a question for City.

xp@
29-03-2010, 00:02
The US Consulate provides some services in such cases:

http://moscow.usembassy.gov/banking.html