PDA

View Full Version : One for Anal retards

trebor
24-02-2005, 21:00
Here's one for all you Whinngers, whyners, complainers, its not fair! i don't like it! i can't always get what i want! how dare you talk to me like that!

And this is not just another sad story..................It could have been you or me!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/02/24/ubaby.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/02/24/ixportaltop.html

ghost 6-3
24-02-2005, 21:06
Bad one, Trebor.

Claude Bottom
24-02-2005, 21:07
Yep, sorry, mate - not for Expat Cafe.

trebor
24-02-2005, 21:10
Originally posted by ghost 6-3
Bad one, Trebor.

WHY?
Don't like the facts of life.....................too harsh for you?
Put your pathetic whinnging into perspective does it?
YES?

Then i'll consider it job done!:)

ghost 6-3
24-02-2005, 21:12
Your posts are usually less offensive, more pensive, and more provacotive than this.

Claude Bottom
24-02-2005, 21:13
Trebor, yep, does put things into perspective, but for those of us who are related to or have or know children with severe disabilities..... could be a little distressing. What next - "Rate my tumour" ?

trebor
24-02-2005, 21:15
Your posts are usually less offensive, more pensive, and more provacotive than this.

That story was news in many papers around the world.
And more pensive, provocative i have never been. :)

Claude Bottom
24-02-2005, 21:19
Well, true enough. Trouble is that I always think that these cases - craniplagus, hemicorporectomies et al - become freak shows when the press get hold of 'em. You're right, Trebor, it's real life, it's sad and sometimes cruel and ugly and it does bring things into perspective, but aren't you using a sledgehammer to crack a nut ?......

trebor
24-02-2005, 21:21
Originally posted by Claude Bottom
.................. "Rate my tumour" ?

Lets do it! Lets rate your pathetic whinnging.

On a scale of one to ten (1 - 10) how many points do your hard luck stories score.
I ask only one thing. Look at the link to the above story before you reply.

Anyone who scores themselves above 2 1/2 is surely and anal retard!:)

trebor
24-02-2005, 21:23
Originally posted by Claude Bottom
............. but aren't you using a sledgehammer to crack a nut ?......

Nobody ever called me subtle! :)

Claude Bottom
24-02-2005, 21:23
LOL ! :D Naah, count me out, Trebor. :D No one can compare their problems to the link above. Try something more commonplace, eh ? Like "My haemorrhoids have been giving me jip today"....

ghost 6-3
24-02-2005, 21:25
This is tragic - not whinning.

The whinners are those who complain about the coffee in the office, traffic jams, etc.

The non-whinners are patroling Mosul, Bahgdad, raising children alone, working in McDonalds, and so on....

Pumpkin
24-02-2005, 21:27
Well said.

trebor
24-02-2005, 21:30
This is tragic - not whinning.

The whinners are those who complain about the coffee in the office, traffic jams, etc.

The non-whinners are patroling Mosul, Bahgdad, raising children alone, working in McDonalds, and so on....

Exactly!

boscoe
24-02-2005, 21:43
Perfect example of a moderators nightmare… I see Trebor’s point of view, after all it’s an article in a ‘respected’ newspaper, and he’s making a valid point. I also see others point of view, is the ‘intention of use’ immoral?

If I were to move it...... Where to? Bardack, I hardly think so..... delete the thread, and have some of the 'regulars' who have recently taken EVERY opportunity to have a go at the mods, cry censorship?

Do we keep quiet and not say anything and be accused of bad ‘moderating’

Some one remind me why I do this...... please!

trebor
24-02-2005, 21:48
Originally posted by boscoe
Perfect example of a moderators nightmare… I see Trebor’s point of view, after all it’s an article in a ‘respected’ newspaper, and he’s making a valid point. I also see others point of view, is the ‘intention of use’ immoral?

If I were to move it...... Where to? Bardack, I hardly think so..... delete the thread, and have some of the 'regulars' who have recently taken EVERY opportunity to have a go at the mods, cry censorship?

Do we keep quiet and not say anything and be accused of bad ‘moderating’

WHAT?

ghost 6-3
24-02-2005, 21:52

Masochism.

Com'on. You like it.

Braders
24-02-2005, 21:57
Originally posted by boscoe

Because Len gives us a bottle of Whisky once a year, i'm still waiting for mine ;)

The image is disturbing, yet it highlights just 1 of many struggles that human beings the world over face.

Trebor has tried to get the point across abeit not very subtlely that 'lifes too short' and seeing as it's one of my favourites it won't surprise anyone that i completely agree with him.

It won't be moved to Bardak as it wasn't meant to be offensive, (if it was offensive it would be deleted) however i hope to God i don't see any attempt at humour concerning that image in this thread.

trebor
24-02-2005, 22:11
How is this post even a consideration for moderators?

Let me clarify what i was trying to say:

Expat.ru=loads of whinging expats.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/02/24/ubaby.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/02/24/ixportaltop.html = someone with loads to whinging about,

AND?

Pumpkin
24-02-2005, 22:18
Trebor, your point is a good one, but the newspaper item you have used is not the best example you could have chosen to make that point. Sorry, but using a picture like that in this way is offensive.

J.D.
24-02-2005, 22:19
Originally posted by trebor
How is this post even a consideration for moderators?

I 2nd that. He has a point. I don't think he presented it very well, and I don't mean by using a disgusting photo, but it is a point which is a lot more than a lot of the useless crap that gets posted here.

metsapoika
24-02-2005, 22:32
Well, since I'm here, you'll get my 2 kopeks worth as well.

I'm with trebor on this one.

Many, many expat BB's I have used now and in the past start to take themselves *far* too seriously and the people involved tend to forget that it's just a BB, and not really that linked to real life. Trebors initial post was certianly linked to real life, and I assume he was trying to tell the whingers, that this is just a BB, and some peoples problems are worse than not being able to find marmite in Moscow. Certianly a strongly made point, but valid in my mind.

Not that trebor needs me too stick my oar in, but I've seen the same thing so many times.

As expats we need a place to vent, complain, and also a medium to be able to find real people to drink beer with and complain about the lack of marmite, but it's too easy to abuse the anononimity of BB's and behave in a way one would never dream of in 'real life'

Even though my profile says 'Senior Member' I'm stilll a newbie here, and what I want from this BB is advice about life in Moscow, and also a bit of p*ss taking, a bit of fun, and the chance to meet people and drink beer outside the work circle; what I don't need is a proliferation of people whining about how hard life is, or how unfriendly the BB is.

Trebors post should make people think aboout what's important - but it doesn't seem to be working that way :-/

Ah, who gives a sh!t. It's just a fecking BB.

Cheers
MP

P.s. Yeah, I haven't been out for beers yet, because I'm just arriving (permantly) in Moscow this weekend ;-)

trebor
24-02-2005, 22:45
Originally posted by J.D.
I 2nd that. He has a point. I don't think he presented it very well, and I don't mean by using a disgusting photo, but it is a point which is a lot more than a lot of the useless crap that gets posted here.

Disgusting photo?
Firstly, I chose the photo very carefully.
There are many people involved in that terrible situation.
How many can you name?
Look at the picture! Think about it and ALL those involved.

Why do we need moderators on this?

Olim
24-02-2005, 23:18
You have to admit it was in poor taste to post that on here.

It's not a disgusting photo but this site is no place for it.

sparky
25-02-2005, 00:10
Originally posted by Olim
You have to admit it was in poor taste to post that on here.

It's not a disgusting photo but this site is no place for it.

Why, too real for some of the posters??

Olim
25-02-2005, 00:16
Not at all. In fact anyone who has looked at a news website in the last few days will have certainly seen that pic already. I just don't think saying "Hey life could be worse, you could have two heads", showing a picture of the child then inviting further flippant comment is appropriate.

sparky
25-02-2005, 00:22
I don’t think trebor was inviting more flippant comment. Merely making a point!

Some of the posters on this board are so far up their own arse then can’t see the light of day.

In other words, get a life; you don’t know how lucky most of you are…..

Olim
25-02-2005, 00:29
So we should tolerate anything that goes on coz "hey, at least we haven't got two heads"?

Halyavshik
25-02-2005, 00:36
Olim,

Sometimes it really does take a shocking and saddening depiction of someone else's misfortune to remind us of how petty, in the grand scheme of things, our own little squabbles are. Hopefully, it spurs us not only to remember how fortunate we are, but to remember that there other matters that deserve our attention and help much moreso than some of the discussions we've seen here and participated in recently.

I think that's all Trebor meant. Only something so graphic can so effectively put things in perspective.

Just my two kopecks.

Hal

Braders
25-02-2005, 00:39
On a lighter note - Especially for Random.

'Lifes too short' mate ;)

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=257996&CPID=5&CLID=8&lid=&title=Chelsea+to+file+Barca+complaint&channel=Premiership

Well said Hal and completely accurate to.

Claude Bottom
25-02-2005, 00:55
Coney Island shut down years ago. :D This is always the trouble - in case of gross misfortune, someone (and not just PT Barnum) is there to exploit it.

I think there's two issues here - one, the point about people whining about their perceived misfortune, and whether or not the link is an appropriate illustration to prove a point. I don't think it is, to be honest. It's a sensationalist approach - and therefore inappropriate. Something like using the famous pic of the execution of an NVA prisoner during the Tet offensive as an advert for Anadin.... yes, I know enough about conjoined twins to know that it's a tragic and disfiguring medical condition. Trebor, you asked how many people were affected by the tragedy involved ? Unfortunately, pictures like that attract undesired attention and adverse comments from idiots. Makes it worse. Yes, I know what you were trying to say (and I agree with you) but I think that it's a good argument badly made.

Olim, I know you're a surgeon and a very intelligent and well balanced person (rarity on Expat ! :D) I was going to put a humorous reply about your "Flat not tidy" thread saying you should have strewn some stuff around to make it look like you'd had to do an emergency hemicorporectomy..... then I realised it was in bad taste. (Look it up on the net, folks.)

Everyone whinges. Everyone whines. Everyone has a sense of perspective to lose. Inarguable fact. However, we don't get up and think "Oh, I've not got pelvic cancer/ fourth degree burns/ renal failure this morning" - so. Trebor, "sledgehammer/nut".....

sparky
25-02-2005, 01:09
So we should tolerate anything that goes on coz "hey, at least we haven't got two heads"?

No, not my point at all.

If it takes a shock (which has already been widely seen in the media) to make people realise there is more to life than posting hate/insults/stupidity on an internet board then why is that not acceptable.

Are there some special rules for expat.ru to operate in some ethereal other world?

J.D.
25-02-2005, 07:38
Originally posted by trebor
Disgusting photo?
Firstly, I chose the photo very carefully.
There are many people involved in that terrible situation.
How many can you name?
Look at the picture! Think about it and ALL those involved.

Why do we need moderators on this?

I shouldn't have said 'disgusting' I should have said disturbing. I said disgusting because I felt that some people would consider it disgusting.

I can see that you put some thought into this. Why I think you were off a bit I'm not sure. I'd have to think about it for awhile.

trebor
25-02-2005, 08:55
Originally posted by J.D.
...........I'd have to think about it for awhile.

I couldn't ask for more!:)

CaveMan
25-02-2005, 09:44
Well I am a newbie on this site...Almost 3 months or so...

Past three months 90% of postings are whining, whinging,complaining...

As Brader said, Life is too short - let's all get a life and be nice...

Who's going to BH tonite?

peyote
25-02-2005, 14:35
Originally posted by Halyavshik
Olim,

Sometimes it really does take a shocking and saddening depiction of someone else's misfortune to remind us of how petty, in the grand scheme of things, our own little squabbles are. Hopefully, it spurs us not only to remember how fortunate we are, but to remember that there other matters that deserve our attention and help much moreso than some of the discussions we've seen here and participated in recently.

I think that's all Trebor meant. Only something so graphic can so effectively put things in perspective.

Just my two kopecks.

Hal there are a zillion ways to make that point, hal. think of the universe and you are nothing, or god, depending on your perspective.

think of the child who's afraid to go to school every morning because bombs are exploding everywhere; or the soldier on duty who can't tell anymore if the looking-friendly guy approaching has a bomb with his name on it.

there are a zillion ways, hal, and a picture is not really needed to make that point unless you like the agent provocateur title or you're out of words and need a picture.

on the other hand, i have nothing against this thread but don't tell me the point can only be made in such a provocative way. provocation is written all over with capital letters.

my two cuban pesos.

sfjohns67
25-02-2005, 14:49
Was going to stay out of this one, but can't resist any longer. I see where some people might be offended by the picture Trebor linked; it is, after all, nothing short of heartbreaking. As such, the argument is perfectly valid that such a picture (or any other concept involving the suffering of innocents) should be sacred from being used for ANY similar comparison.

On the other hand, of much merit also is the argument that the degree to which more than a few people complain about various and sundry things warrants such a strong comparison. "Think you've got it bad? Try THIS!" is all that Trebor was saying. I read and re-read his posts several times, and I did not find any language or nuance that invited ridicule or tongue-in-cheek or any other less-than-respectful response. Perhaps those of you who see it that way might be the very ones tempted to respond in such a manner?

I think Trebor's provocation is called-for. I also think every one of us might do ourselves much favor by examining the picture and article and thinking hard about whether or not we really have anything to complain about.

Random
25-02-2005, 14:50
Originally posted by Braders
On a lighter note - Especially for Random.

'Lifes too short' mate ;)

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=257996&CPID=5&CLID=8&lid=&title=Chelsea+to+file+Barca+complaint&channel=Premiership

Well said Hal and completely accurate to.

Hmmmmm A4 paper is all I will say at this point ....

Random
25-02-2005, 14:51
Originally posted by sfjohns67
Was going to stay out of this one, but can't resist any longer. I see where some people might be offended by the picture Trebor linked; it is, after all, nothing short of heartbreaking. As such, the argument is perfectly valid that such a picture (or any other concept involving the suffering of innocents) should be sacred from being used for ANY similar comparison.

On the other hand, of much merit also is the argument that the degree to which more than a few people complain about various and sundry things warrants such a strong comparison. "Think you've got it bad? Try THIS!" is all that Trebor was saying. I read and re-read his posts several times, and I did not find any language or nuance that invited ridicule or tongue-in-cheek or any other less-than-respectful response. Perhaps those of you who see it that way might be the very ones tempted to respond in such a manner?

I think Trebor's provocation is called-for. I also think every one of us might do ourselves much favor by examining the picture and article and thinking hard about whether or not we really have anything to complain about.

Cheers SFJ saved me typing it ..echo this sentiment ...

:agree:

trebor
25-02-2005, 20:20
I can't believe this is still running but i and i'm sure loads of others are fed up with all the "drama queens" throwing their toys of of the pram, threatening to leave the site because someone has given them a nasty look and related crap of late.
I was completely captivated by the story and the photo that i posted.........................tragic, seems hardly adequate!
Seems like everyone is shouting and screaming on this site sometimes (me included) and i thought it would make people listen for a change, thats all. Certainly no sinister motives or warped sense of humour involved at all. How could there be?

Olim
25-02-2005, 20:24
It wasn't still running- no one had posted on it for hours.

trebor
25-02-2005, 21:53
It wasn't still running- no one had posted on it for hours.

Well excuse me for being so pretentious then. :D

Claude Bottom
25-02-2005, 23:38
Trebor, come on, you've never struck me as being pretentious. :D

DJ Biscuit
26-02-2005, 02:36
Moi?

Under the current atmosphere that was a bringing back down to earth kinda link, jeesh I even feel like a jerk and with my so called clique and ego that means something, no hidden agenda from Trebor I think he just wanted to point out how small our world of pain is and indeed, there's always someone worse off.