PDA

View Full Version : Bicycling

sammy
26-03-2010, 22:06
hi, does anyone knows if there is a park or a special place to go bicycling????
or any activity using a bicycle

deltastyle
27-03-2010, 00:20
As for me there's a park near Sokolniki station. Another one is near Voikowskaya station. In the 1st one there's no special-marked roads for cycling like in the 2nd one. Anyway it depends of style you cycling.

P.S. About activity: there's a lot of sites where you can cycling with anyone you want to and anyone you like. PM me for details

sammy
27-03-2010, 09:49
did u mean the skolniki park?? i went there like 2 weeks ago and they told me i cant go in with my bike
and do u know whats the parks name near Voikowskaya station???
thanks alot

BeeLee
30-03-2010, 00:19
today i bought a bike here, to stop having to commute by metro...

it was a long hard 16-mile day, but i can tell you that the old olympic park, near the luzhniki stadium (i think i'm saying it right) is very mellow, very quiet, with painted bike lane next to the river. quite good at dusk. almost no people or cars, and the ones who were there walking were cheerful to see someone on bike.

so, i can recommend that, thus far. as my commuting/riding goes further, i'll try to let you know if i come across some other gems. please do the same for me :) it's not exactly a bike-lover's city, this one.

FatAndy
30-03-2010, 11:06
2 BeeLee &Sammy:

Opposite side of Moscow river - Vorobievy gory green area - is also nice in this sense. Although there were no dedicated bicycle tracks when I've been there last time but the area is restricted for cars and other motor transport. You can cross the river at Metromost where Vorobievy Gory station is located - it has pedestrian lanes aside.

Judge
30-03-2010, 12:43
Moose Island is a great place for bike rides..No cars,no kiosks,very clean,lots of paths,loads of bike tracks in the forest..Take your own food and drink,have a picnic near the pond..Great day out..

FlakeySnowballer
30-03-2010, 21:24
hi, does anyone knows if there is a park or a special place to go bicycling????
or any activity using a bicycle

Zapretka from Cevernyu district to Pirogovo is a good place for bicycling. Fresh air, forest, good tracks and birds, over and above you can swim in Pirogovckoe lake and you can return home on the ship from Pirogovckoe to Moscow river

Vadim
30-03-2010, 22:05
Is she big? A ship, I mean :-)

FlakeySnowballer
30-03-2010, 22:16
Is she big? A ship, I mean :-)

Yes It is a ship -rocket

Vadim
30-03-2010, 22:38
Yes It is a ship -rocket

I didn't know thanks. Had no idea they are still in use. Travelled just once when was a kid, and liked it a lot.

FlakeySnowballer
30-03-2010, 22:42
I didn't know thanks. Had no idea they are still in use. Travelled just once when was a kid, and liked it a lot.

Why did you say "she" instead of "it"

Vadim
31-03-2010, 09:28
A ship is she. Amazing English.

MissAnnElk
31-03-2010, 09:33
True.

I don't know why.

FatAndy
31-03-2010, 11:04
Shortened "sheep"... ;)

sammy
04-04-2010, 13:07
Moose Island is a great place for bike rides..No cars,no kiosks,very clean,lots of paths,loads of bike tracks in the forest..Take your own food and drink,have a picnic near the pond..Great day out..

where is Moose Island??i is it in Russia?? can u please tell me where is it
thanks

FlakeySnowballer
11-04-2010, 15:45
What about bicycling next week-end? When and where?

Voodoo
11-04-2010, 16:51
What about bicycling next week-end? When and where?

Also the famous Moskvoretsky park on Krylatskye Kholmy (200m from Metro Krylatoskye) has an olympic cycling track over 10km long in the rolling park lands. There is a dedicated cycling road which you will have to share with parents and strollers, but no other traffic and probably as clean air as you are likely to find anywhere in Moscow.

Shannon Heng
16-04-2010, 09:24
i want to buy a fold-able bicycle which can be store in the cloakroom within the office. can anyone tell me where in moscow (address please) i can find a specialize bicycle shop where I can get a good fold-able bike that is not ridiculously priced.

Voodoo
16-04-2010, 10:48
Also the famous Moskvoretsky park on Krylatskye Kholmy (200m from Metro Krylatoskye) has an olympic cycling track over 10km long in the rolling park lands. There is a dedicated cycling road which you will have to share with parents and strollers, but no other traffic and probably as clean air as you are likely to find anywhere in Moscow.

Just some further info on this bicycle park. We had a good walk around it and it turns out that the Olympic bicycle tracks is over 30km long, judging by the marks on the asphalt track. Further, we also found a bicycle cross trail in the middle of the park for those that want to do things like jumps and tricks on their bikes, etc. And as I've said before, the air in this park is the cleanest within Moscow.

FatAndy
16-04-2010, 10:54
Hi Shannon,
Since Soviet times there was bicycle-oriented market at m. Sokol'niki (red line NE). I was there a year or two ago - it was shifted to ground floor of left building if stay back to metro and face to park - entrance from side:
http://maps.yandex.ru/-/CBwBvet

Another one is Velomir at Lyusinovskaya street, m. Tul'skaya, grey line, S:
http://maps.yandex.ru/-/CBwFEjT

Their website - http://velomir.ru/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl?&a=filter&m=48&c=3

andymackem
05-05-2010, 16:49
Maybe someone can advise me about bikes and the metro (and elektrichki).

From time to time I see people on metro trains with bikes, but not often. More often I see people take their bike into a station and be told that they must detach the front wheel. I'm also told that it's illegal to take a bike on the metro at all.

Sadly I live too close to too many dodgy roads to be able to ride happily in my own neighbourhood, but I'd love to be able to hop on the metro, take my bike to a park (or even out into Podmoskovye) and get some exercise. Does anybody know the real state of play with metro cycling?

And can I hop into the tunnels with my bike if I miss the last train? :lol:

FatAndy
05-05-2010, 17:11
2 andymackem:
According to the latest version of Moscow metro usage rules: http://www.mosmetro.ru/pages/page_0.php?id_page=79 :
2.10. Запрещается провозить в метрополитене (находиться с ним в вестибюле станций):
2.10.4. Велосипеды (за исключением складных) и иные транспортные средства, кроме детских и инвалидных колясок.
- it's prohibited to transport non-foldable bicycles with metro.

But every rule/law in Russia, as you probably know, can be bypassed ;)

can I hop into the tunnels with my bike if I miss the last train? - you can try. But don't forget about contact rail voltage (~ 800 V since 04:00 AM till 02:AM) and non-zero probability that last train wouldn't be last one ;)

andymackem
05-05-2010, 18:03
That's what I figured - the rules apply when somebody wants to apply them. My fear is that being a foreigner with stunted Russian, more people want to apply these rules to me.

I suppose I could look for a foldable bike, but it's not quite the thing, somehow.

Maybe I'll try the buses instead. Squeezing it through the turnstyle could be a day's entertainment by itself.

FatAndy
05-05-2010, 18:28
My fear is that being a foreigner with stunted Russian, more people want to apply these rules to me. - Russian proverb says - "Волков боться - в лес не ходить", means being afraid of wolves, no walks to forests. Does anybody forbid you to learn Russian better? ;) You're adult boy, not kindergarten child, isn't it?

I could look for a foldable bike, but it's not quite the thing, somehow. - surely, and selection range in shops is quite narrow.

Maybe I'll try the buses instead. Squeezing it through the turnstyle could be a day's entertainment by itself. - old Russian anecdote tells - "Monsieur is a good judge in perversions"(C).

Try to familiarize yourself with Russian vellers via http://www.3x9.ru/ for example... read forum, write stupid (and smart) questions, and get answers, experience, knowledge "how to", tips and tricks etc.

Addition - regarding bike transportation in elektrichki I've found no restrictions, but it's for additional fee, not more than one bike per wagon (again, bypassable) and bike should be placed in "tambur" (I don't know English word - it is usually smoked space between external pneumatic doors and internal hand-sliding doors), or at some free spaces in wagon itself, closer to tambur (not every wagon has such spaces).

http://caravan.hobby.ru/bicycleintrain.html

http://www.velorama.ru/articles/beginners/transportation.phtml

http://chepetsk.org.ru/albums/vyatka/normal_12462.jpeg

FatAndy
07-05-2010, 12:03
One more idea about transportation out of city - if you live in the usual flat, not in the hostel - try to search for your neighbours having cars equipped with so called bagazhnik (metal construction resembling grill at car' roof) and deal with them regarding dropping you out of the city - they can tie your bike at bagazhnik and carry out to nature. Some cars now also have special bike transportation devices at the trunk back.
Price idea depends on conditions - if he/she goes to dacha lightweight and carry you by the way - 200-400 rub I think, while ordering taxi to airport or Podmoskovie by demand - 800 to 1500 rub.

Getting back to city is also easy enough - just pull your arm horizontal somewhere at shosse seeing free cars with same device on the roof and deal about price when they stop.

Judge
07-05-2010, 12:14
It costs about 90 ru to put a bike on the elektrichki, it's ok to place more than one bike per wagon,the bikes must be at the end of the wagon where there's space.

For long distance trains, the bikes must be stripped,back wheel off(front can stay on), pedals also off and then everything must be wrapped up .