PDA

View Full Version : Americans getting visas in consulates outside the US

stim
25-03-2010, 13:23
Hello everyone-
I saw a similar topic posted by a Canadian about a week ago and there were no answers, but I will try again...
I am a US citizen who wants to get a three-month multi-entry business visa to Russia. I am in Poland right now, and do not officially reside here. Some people are telling me I need to be a resident of the country I am applying in, and others say that is nonsense.
So- do I need to have some kind of proof that I live in Poland? Or can I just zip into the consulate, drop off my docs and come back to get the visa a few weeks later?
THANKS.
Tim

Judge
25-03-2010, 13:46
To be 100% sure,I suggest you get intouch with the embassy in Poland.

tvadim133
25-03-2010, 13:50
Hello everyone-
I saw a similar topic posted by a Canadian about a week ago and there were no answers, but I will try again...
I am a US citizen who wants to get a three-month multi-entry business visa to Russia. I am in Poland right now, and do not officially reside here. Some people are telling me I need to be a resident of the country I am applying in, and others say that is nonsense.
So- do I need to have some kind of proof that I live in Poland? Or can I just zip into the consulate, drop off my docs and come back to get the visa a few weeks later?
THANKS.
Tim

I can not proof it with some official documents, but my Boss had the same question, when he was in France, living "officialy" in Austria.

He applied for the visa to Russia in Paris easy and get it.

I think for the embassy, it is not very important, where you do apply but the set of documents.

One of the easiest way (?) is to visit the russian consulate
site and contact them with a question.

http://www.rusemb.pl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=18&Itemid=4&lang=ru

It is a pity (for you), it has two languages options only: Pole and Russian.

tvadim133
25-03-2010, 13:52
http://www.rusemb.pl/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=1&Itemid=6&lang=ru

This page is with contacts (phone numbers and e-mail)

tvadim133
25-03-2010, 13:56
I have found a note as for non-eu citizens:

Citizens of non-EU countries as well as of the UK, should also provide proof of legality of their stay in Poland (Resident card valid more then 90 days) when applying for a visa.

http://www.rusemb.pl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=132&Itemid=60&lang=ru

You are not EU citizen as far as I understand.

Remington
25-03-2010, 14:32
I have found a note as for non-eu citizens:

Citizens of non-EU countries as well as of the UK, should also provide proof of legality of their stay in Poland (Resident card valid more then 90 days) when applying for a visa.

http://www.rusemb.pl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=132&Itemid=60&lang=ru

You are not EU citizen as far as I understand.

With the resident card, same day visa processing can be done. However, without a resident card Americans will have to wait 2 weeks for their visa to be processed. I mostly go to Odessa or Kiev to renew my 3 months Russian visa. There is an agency in Kiev that can do the same day processing for a fee.

stim
25-03-2010, 15:57
Tvadim- Thanks for the tip. I called the Russian consulate in Cracow, and the person answering the phone refers me to another phone number, which is answered by a machine. I will try writing to them as you suggested.
Remington- I was living in Ukraine, and had paperwork issues there. Basically, the immigration authorities refused to provide me with a work permit; they had refused several times on arbitrary grounds and I was on the verge of breaking the 90-day rule, so I left for Poland.
I am in Poland now, so it would be preferable to get the visa here.
Here is my plan of action:
1)See if the residency certificate in Poland is necessary
2)If it isn't, then my problem is solved, if it is I need to get it, if I can't get it and it is necessary I need to get the visa from Kiev.
3)If I get the visa from Kiev, I need to decide how to do it- by zooming back into Ukraine for one day to drop the documents off and then come back here to Poland, or by Fed-Exing the docs (including my passport!!!) to a friend in Kiev, who will go into the consulate for to drop the docs off.
Wish me luck.....
Tim

stim
25-03-2010, 16:14
According to the website of the Russian embassy in Poland, US citizens also need helath insurance in order to get a visa. This is strange- I have never heard of this before. Is this something new?