PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite places in Moscow?

frida klamm
24-03-2010, 23:56
Are there any places in Moscow you like most of all?
And why do you like them?
I'll be happy to find a new one, perhaps it'll become my favourite ;)

Max77
25-03-2010, 00:58
There is no place like home.
Home, sweet home!
:7525:

Lesena
31-03-2010, 12:25
I like Old Arbat Street.
And another place is Patriarshy Prud.
Can't really explain why. Just like them :-)

Yaakov1
21-05-2010, 07:38
I liked Arbat, the kremlin, the red square of course and Victory Square.

The metro was also quite an experience for me.

Angym
22-05-2010, 00:23
I like

- the “Muzeon” Park.
http://www.muzeon.ru/

- the Luzkov bridge and the nearest area:
http://www.fotomagia.ru/derevo_lubvi.php
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Жертвы_пороков_взрослых

- Cathedral of Christ the Savior
http://www.xxc.ru/english/index.htm

Scatterling
22-05-2010, 13:47
The Secret Garden inside the Kremlin. Peaceful and beautiful. Quite impossible to imagine such a restful spot in the very heart of the city.

tvadim133
22-05-2010, 13:53
As for me, and I mentioned it several times, these places are Kuskovo and Tsaritsino (M.Orekhovo) parks and palaces of the 18 century.

http://www.kuskovo.ru/

TolkoRaz
22-05-2010, 16:42
GlavPivTorg :)

http://www.russkaya-storona.ru/moscow/restaurants/GlavPivTorg/

:11158:

Mirka
22-05-2010, 18:16
Krizis Zhanra, Gogol, Katie O'Shea's, Filial, Maharaja, cool hang out places with good food and good music.

Alexandrovskiy Sad, Tsaritsino, Kolomenskoe, Kamergerskiy pereulok, Patriarch pond area, Pushkinskaya area, Red Square.

Angym
23-05-2010, 10:55
I like to enjoy this view on Moscow:

braunmar
23-05-2010, 14:55
are those with the architecture Shekhtel connected. These are the best and moscot charming places. If you wish we can meet and see those places together. Braunmar

tzaritsa
23-05-2010, 23:40
Pushkin Fine Art museum area is one of my favorite places in Moscow(Im Muscovite,so why I have several).its so quiet and green and historical...
I`ve had spent 2 hours in a line to get to Picasso exibition on Thirsday and even didnt think of so much time cos of magic of the place.Picasso is separate
theme to discuss.Even outside the musiem(and may be more even outside)its real cultural center in Moscow.
Kremlin also.Coz its one of the most misterious places.

ksata
24-05-2010, 15:13
My favourite place is around the university. On hot days the shadow of the forrest, the river side and having after a walk to the gorky park. All the parks around the center and espacially the beach side at schukinskaja.

Gilana
26-05-2010, 16:55
When have u seen hot days in Mscw?

Gilana
26-05-2010, 17:09
And about nighn life: Moscow never sleeps! all area of Kitay gorod.

drwho
26-05-2010, 20:21

The airport !!!!!

mistygris
26-05-2010, 21:27
The airport !!!!!

Why?

you mean when you're coming back to beloved moscow?

tvadim133
26-05-2010, 22:54
Why?

you mean when you're coming back to beloved moscow?

I think, that Drwho sometimes goes to the airports to check if they still exists.

It is just like a hope, a ritual!

You know, if there is an airport, there is a way out.

If there is a way out, it is possible to calm yourself: there is a way out, just in case.

drwho
26-05-2010, 23:13
I think, that Drwho sometimes goes to the airports to check if they still exists.

It is just like a hope, a ritual!

You know, if there is an airport, there is a way out.

If there is a way out, it is possible to calm yourself: there is a way out, just in case.

No... I love the airport as it means I can get out for a week or two, breath clean air and refresh my mind from Moscow living.... no offense if you are a Moscow fan, I respect that. The airport means freedom.

Catalonix
27-05-2010, 21:18
I definitely feel myself very good in Hermitage garden –wheather I'm there for theatre, concert or just to walk around or sit in a summer cafe.

Chistye Prudy is also a great place where you can see lots of freaks and also often they do fun photographic or sculptural exhibitions along the valleys.

As for other meaning of places:
Best club - "Gorod" (I'm just a big techno fan=)
Best concert hall – Crocus City Hall and MMDM
Best theatre: Stanislavsky Music theatre
Best sports venue – Balashikha arena or Lokomotiv stadium
List can go on and on =)

Angym
27-05-2010, 22:22
No... I love the airport as it means I can get out for a week or two, breath clean air and refresh my mind from Moscow living.... no offense if you are a Moscow fan, I respect that. The airport means freedom.

I have the same impressions about airports. I have loved it from my childhood.:sunny:

I feel the wind of change in airports;)

drwho
27-05-2010, 23:37
I have the same impressions about airports. I have loved it from my childhood.:sunny:

I feel the wind of change in airports;)

I get wind at airports!!! as I am afraid of flying but happy to get out of Moscow. :10641:

Fibre
28-05-2010, 00:37
The airport !!!!!d
if only it wasn`t Sheremetyevo. the most stupid airport in Moscow. as Russian said- all made for people

Angym
28-05-2010, 00:47
d
if only it wasn`t Sheremetyevo. the most stupid airport in Moscow. as Russian said- all made for people

A New terminal is enough good ;)

Fibre
28-05-2010, 00:52
A New terminal is enough good ;)
My God! i don`t believe. I have no chance anymore to fly in business class because of queues on the registration

Fibre
19-06-2010, 15:43
I like to walk in Polyanka district, calm and not crowded, as on Solyanka, down to Kitay-Gorod,i don`t remember that I saw cars here

orlando771
21-06-2010, 11:23
strip clubs:))

Irina MSK
21-06-2010, 11:47
I like Sokolniki. Not only the park, I like the whole district. I lucked out to buy a flat there two years ago and I have been really happy to live there. Does anybody here live at the same district? I should be glad to meet neighbours

tvadim133
21-06-2010, 12:08
unfortunately, I do not live next to you.

Some years ago I bought an appartment next to Tsaritsino Park and I like Orkhovo area very much as well.

So I understand you.

Irina MSK
21-06-2010, 12:21
unfortunately, I do not live next to you.

Some years ago I bought an appartment next to Tsaritsino Park and I like Orkhovo area very much as well.

So I understand you.

Another good place indeed! I have not been to Tsaritsino after the restoration yet. I will certainly go there one day.
I like historical places in Moscow a lot! Tsaritsino is one of them, Sokolniki is another... I live in the house which was built in 1890-1900 at the very old Stromynka road (Стромынский тракт).

tvadim133
21-06-2010, 12:28
WOW, that is really nice, I guess. I live in a standard house of 1976, :(

As for Tsaritsino after reconstruction, it is more than nice, I would say fantastic.

Though there have been a lot discussions about it.

That is the only (or one of quite few things) I am thankful to Mr. Luzhkov.

Do not forget to take some towels in order to lay on the Sun next to the ponds surrounded by ducks and other birds.

But my favourite place for that is next to the palace (back side) where there is a huge field with an italian tree in the centre.

I feel like in a fairy tale there.

Viola
21-06-2010, 12:41
WOW, that is really nice, I guess. I live in a standard house of 1976, :(

As for Tsaritsino after reconstruction, it is more than nice, I would say fantastic.

Though there have been a lot discussions about it.

That is the only (or one of quite few things) I am thankful to Mr. Luzhkov.

Do not forget to take some towels in order to lay on the Sun next to the ponds surrounded by ducks and other birds.

But my favourite place for that is next to the palace (back side) where there is a huge field with an italian tree in the centre.

I feel like in a fairy tale there.

Let me disagree with you here.
This reconstructed palace reminds me Disneyland. When I saw its roof behind the trees my thought was, either it is a new "elite" apartment building or Disneyland hotel. And interiors are outragously "new Russian" nouveau rich style with tons of gold. Whom is Luzhkov going to impress? It will never be Versailles because it has no historic value, just a plaster cast.
I can go on but will stop now.

tvadim133
21-06-2010, 12:48
Well, I would understand that if the ruins were and had some hystorical meanings.

It was just a palace, which was not finished.

That is there was nothing to be under conservation or restoration, just it had to be built from "the beginning" (there were just walls).

For exception of roots the palace and pavillions are reconstructed according to drawings at least, as I can see from those times plans and nowadays (as for interior I doubt there were any).

I would say Tsaritsino can be exception, but as for other objects it is unacceptable indeed.

What can you say for example, about Petergoff and Tsarskoye selo which were in ruins completely, btw?

newbornGirl
21-06-2010, 13:02
Ponds in Sokolniki. Beautiful place =)

Judge
22-06-2010, 12:43
I like to visit The All Russian Exhibition Centre 'VDNKh'
Nice place to spend the day,be it rollerblading, bike riding or walking around,interesting pavilions,gardens to walk in and good food,a visit to the ponchiki cafe is a must.There's a few ponchiki places I like the one next door the the wine place.

http://www.essential-architecture.com/STYLE/798px-Vd1.jpg

TolkoRaz
28-06-2010, 16:35
Recently had a very nice meal in Ded Pikhto - Ulitsa Myasnitskaya 37/3

Food was excellent, well designed and furnished terrace - difficult to believe it was in Moscow!

+7 (985) 253 1761

Nearest metro Chistye Prudy :bookworm:

littlemu
08-07-2010, 15:03
My favourite places in Moscow are:
Kolomenskoye park,
The big Bridge between Vasilievsiy spusk and Zamoskvorechie.
Botanicheskiy Garden (it close to VDNKH)
Chistiye Prudy, Old Arbat, Gogolevskiy Boulvar,District Old Arbat-Kropotkinskaya

Gypsy
08-07-2010, 15:18
Scandi terrace. An oasis of peace in the centre of town.

ps: Marat Safin was there last night - now that guy is huge.

Jack17
13-07-2010, 05:33
Let me disagree with you here.
This reconstructed palace reminds me Disneyland. When I saw its roof behind the trees my thought was, either it is a new "elite" apartment building or Disneyland hotel. And interiors are outragously "new Russian" nouveau rich style with tons of gold. Whom is Luzhkov going to impress? It will never be Versailles because it has no historic value, just a plaster cast.
I can go on but will stop now.
Viola, I cannot disagree with you because I am not Russian; but to my eye, Tsaritsino is one of the most agreeable places in Moscow to visit. It will never be Versailles because it is not Versailles; but as a retoration project, I think Luzhkov is to be commended. As an American living in Southern California, I can say it is certainly not Disney Land. Say what you want about Luzhkov, but he's the only Russian leader I know who is doing something for Russia with the great wealth he controls. He gives pensioners free passes for public transportation; takes care of Moscows orphans as no other region does; hires the Uzbecks and gives them apartments to take care of the streets, etc. Yes, he has the money no other region does, but at least he is spending some of it on the people. By extension, I must believe all Russians would be better off if he were President Raissi.

Viola
23-07-2010, 16:24
Viola, I cannot disagree with you because I am not Russian; but to my eye, Tsaritsino is one of the most agreeable places in Moscow to visit. It will never be Versailles because it is not Versailles; but as a retoration project, I think Luzhkov is to be commended. As an American living in Southern California, I can say it is certainly not Disney Land. Say what you want about Luzhkov, but he's the only Russian leader I know who is doing something for Russia with the great wealth he controls. He gives pensioners free passes for public transportation; takes care of Moscows orphans as no other region does; hires the Uzbecks and gives them apartments to take care of the streets, etc. .

Jack, I am not going to argue about this precise place, we all have different taste and that's good. I see your point, I hear such arguments from Russains as well. It is difficult to discuss indeed because you are not Russian. Probably my relation to this city is completely different from yours and from majority of people inhabiting it now. I grew up here as well as several generations of my predecessors. I can't answer the question what is my favorite place in Moscow because my favorite places are destroyed. I know what this city was and what it could be under intelligent management. Under Luzhkov's management the city lost not only hundreds of historical buildings, it lost individuality.
I really can go on and on about L, I'd better stop.

Yes, he has the money no other region does, but at least he is spending some of it on the people. .

With the remains he managed to buy one of the best properties in London for 50 million pounds.

By extension, I must believe all Russians would be better off if he were President Raissi.

God forbid!
Or better not, let him be president of Russia if he'll never touch Moscow :D

Jack17
23-07-2010, 16:39
Jack, I am not going to argue about this precise place, we all have different taste and that's good. I see your point, I hear such arguments from Russains as well. It is difficult to discuss indeed because you are not Russian. Probably my relation to this city is completely different from yours and from majority of people inhabiting it now. I grew up here as well as several generations of my predecessors. I can't answer the question what is my favorite place in Moscow because my favorite places are destroyed. I know what this city was and what it could be under intelligent management. Under Luzhkov's management the city lost not only hundreds of historical buildings, it lost individuality.
I really can go on and on about L, I'd better stop.

With the remains he managed to buy one of the best properties in London for 50 million pounds.

God forbid!
Or better not, let him be president of Russia if he'll never touch Moscow :D
I am sure you are correct. I hope Lermontov's house is still standing. I was sad to see the home of such a great man was in such disrepair - so, not all is well I know.

However, my favorite place will be the Bolshoi Theater when the remont is complete. Now, it's probably Courvoisier at 7 a.m. on a Saturday morning watching all the deyvushki wrap up a night of partying with a little zaftrak.

Viola
23-07-2010, 16:44
Well, I would understand that if the ruins were and had some hystorical meanings.

It was just a palace, which was not finished.

That is there was nothing to be under conservation or restoration, just it had to be built from "the beginning" (there were just walls).

For exception of roots the palace and pavillions are reconstructed according to drawings at least, as I can see from those times plans and nowadays (as for interior I doubt there were any).

I would say Tsaritsino can be exception, but as for other objects it is unacceptable indeed.

What can you say for example, about Petergoff and Tsarskoye selo which were in ruins completely, btw?

Petergoff and Tsarskoe Selo have a history so I can see the sense of reconstructing them.

I wrote already about palace interiors, they are not only disgusting nouveau rich but also extremely stupid. Have you seen the door at the outwall hidden behind the stairs? The architectural plan is stupid. I visited several exhibitions there and after walking for several hours through like 20 halls you face the dead end and have to walk all way back. I've never seen such floor plan in museums. Another time the way back was through utility rooms and corridors full of boxes with houswares and doors open to the administrative and office rooms. I can't get rid of the feeling of total stupidity of the architecture.

And of course when building a palace they could (or probably should) have take care of the way to it. The narrow dirty smelly passway with suspect charachters selling smth doesn't fit the idea of palace at all.

Viola
23-07-2010, 16:51
I am sure you are correct. I hope Lermontov's house is still standing. I was sad to see the home of such a great man was in such disrepair - so, not all is well I know.

However, my favorite place will be the Bolshoi Theater when the remont is complete. Now, it's probably Courvoisier at 7 a.m. on a Saturday morning watching all the deyvushki wrap up a night of partying with a little zaftrak.

I like Bolshoi, definitely one of my favorite places. I wonder what it will be after the remont.

Viola
23-07-2010, 16:53

The one in the city or in the Moscow region?

Jack17
23-07-2010, 19:08
The one in the city or in the Moscow region?
I believe it's in the Novi Arbat area of Moskva center. It's an old white clapboard house that is really out of place stuck among the modern stone and brick buildings.

alouette
23-07-2010, 20:51
I believe it's in the Novi Arbat area of Moskva center. It's an old white clapboard house that is really out of place stuck among the modern stone and brick buildings.

'clapboard house'? Where is it? Are you sure it's on the New Arbat? Not the Old one?

Viola
23-07-2010, 21:20
'clapboard house'? Where is it? Are you sure it's on the New Arbat? Not the Old one?

It;s at Malaya Molchanovka street

http://s61.radikal.ru/i172/1007/c4/24be246feb8f.jpg (http://www.radikal.ru)

Jack17
23-07-2010, 21:24
It;s at Malaya Molchanovka street

http://s61.radikal.ru/i172/1007/c4/24be246feb8f.jpg (http://www.radikal.ru)
OK, so what neighborhood is that? Is that his home in the city center, or beyond? The house looks similar to the one I remember, but there were larger building surrounding it.

Viola
23-07-2010, 21:28
OK, so what neighborhood is that? Is that his home in the city center, or beyond? The house looks similar to the one I remember, but there were larger building surrounding it.

It is on the right side of Novy Arbat if you walk from Kremlin.

Jack17
23-07-2010, 21:59
It is on the right side of Novy Arbat if you walk from Kremlin.
Ah, I can't believe it, I still have some memory cells left. Amazing. Thanks Viola. For me, this place is hallowed ground.

Viola
24-07-2010, 10:19
Ah, I can't believe it, I still have some memory cells left. Amazing. Thanks Viola. For me, this place is hallowed ground.

Why is it so special for you?

Yuri
02-09-2010, 12:57
Arbat, the Kremlin, the Red Square and Pushkin Square.

Lady Lana
02-09-2010, 13:14
I like to walk on the Boulevard Ring, I've been to all parts of it, but have never done it all in one day yet.

Friday
28-09-2010, 01:40
Kamergerskyi pereulok, Bolshaja Dmitrovka and the surrounding areas

Jangel
28-09-2010, 18:09
Tsaritsyno Park, Monument Park opposite Gorky Park... :)

For the center I prefere Kuznetskiy Most for cafes and Kitay-Gorod for same reason :)

YulcheGabana
01-10-2010, 23:07
Kolomenskoe is my favourite place in Moscow. And there are so many apples there now in autumn... Also I love Vorobevy gory and Patriarshie prudy.

Kazruslan
09-10-2010, 23:31
I've been to arbat today, nice place.
Well I like Bulka cafe in front of Sheraron hotel on belorusskaya, like coffee and really great pastry.

Shik Alex
15-10-2010, 13:19
I believe the best place in Moscow is Mate Club (Lesteva street 19/1). you can drink mate and play indians there. No food served, but amazing tea, mate and shisha. And on saturdays they play Vargan, a national instrument of northern peoples.

Nicholas27
15-10-2010, 13:58

Hi Frida, I would recommend restaurant "ROBERTO" BEST PLACE IN Moscow
quality Italian food.Superb service Italian owners.

mosaikmum
15-10-2010, 16:22
My favourite places in Moscow are Red Square and Alexander Gardens - love to sit with friends in the gardens - even better when there is a band playing. I like Sparrow Hills and the whole MGU area, and love to walk in any of the parks/ wooded areas with friends.

Ervin
24-10-2010, 16:30
Red square

Matth
04-11-2010, 00:25
I think the Red Square is still one of most beautiful place to be!

Daniel
04-11-2010, 20:59
I like the Church on Baumanskaya metro...It is so nice and interesting to me.

balkon
10-11-2010, 19:47
I like the Church on Baumanskaya metro...It is so nice and interesting to me.
Я коренной москвич, знаю много интересных мест. Могу показать.

WhiteLight
25-01-2011, 18:46
Among the more special things, which have not been mentioned here yet I like the web of lanes intersecting the Bolshaya Nikitskaya Street, and the area opposite the entrance of Dom Kompozitorov concert hall/ restaurant - but it lost a third of its charms to me after the recent renovation.

sunnyriddle
21-02-2011, 03:17
Botanichesky garden is nice place to walk but better in summer of course

jordanioni
23-02-2011, 00:10
For me, it's the Patriarshy bridge at the back of Cathedral of Christ the Saviour, it's new and the view is amazing. Something more personal is Sokolniki park with old people playing chess and dancing on the streets, very soothing and warm place, and all the area of Ostozhenka street and side-streets around, where all the famous modern architecture apartment buildings are located.

Krolick
27-07-2011, 17:58
Vorobiovy Gory (on weekday, in summer, early in the morning or at sunset)

Russian Lad
29-07-2011, 14:53
The Red Square and the railway station:).

lcairns
04-10-2011, 22:28
The Red Square is lovely on a clear day!

HSE/Environmental Pr
04-10-2011, 23:09
Arbat, Tverskaya streets, very similar to Baku ones

Statkevich
10-11-2011, 16:46
I like Kitay-Gorod, Kuznetskiy most and all these districts in the center full of narrow and quiet streets.

Like Vorobiovy Gory as well. A very good place to walk when it's warm.

TGP
19-11-2011, 01:26
My favourite place in Moscow is my home, rain or shine.

Victoria 55
24-11-2011, 01:11
Pushkinskii museum, the hall of sculptures.

Nicole
27-11-2011, 04:30
The Secret Garden inside the Kremlin. Peaceful and beautiful. Quite impossible to imagine such a restful spot in the very heart of the city.

So true. Beautiful place..

I also quite like Old Arbat, and the general area around Kitai Gorod Metro station.There are a few more, most of them fairly central.

estre
27-11-2011, 15:31
Victory Park (Park Pobedy) is amazing place i every season where you can walk so long time and still don't know every corner of these huge territory!)

kristinel
19-03-2012, 17:24

one of the good places ive been at moscow is kremlin and i like the pushins museum somewhere at red line kropotskaya ;):agree:

Jack17
19-03-2012, 18:17
My two new favorite places are:

a) Metro Green Line on Friday nights when all the dyevuchki are dressed to kill.

b) The Scriabin Flat at Bolshoy Nikolopeskovskiy pereulok, 11

ZF1
21-07-2012, 18:21
My favourite areas are mayakovskaya, kitai gorod and chisti prudy, mainly for the restaurants bars and clubs

Potty
21-07-2012, 18:45
People say Tsaritsyno is great. I've been there once with one of my ex-boyfriends but we had a huge fight, so I don't really remember how it looks like. :rolleyes:

jeni01
22-07-2012, 14:32
My favourite areas are mayakovskaya, kitai gorod and chisti prudy, mainly for the restaurants bars and clubs

Mine is Gorky Park. They made an amazing improvement to that place. Lot's of activities that you can choose. Entertainments like late night outdoor movies, sports, beautiful and different kinds of places/sections where u can just sit and pass the time by, plus the fountain show is super. I love watching the children run and play,cry and laugh..younger and some older one's enjoying their scooter ride. The place is festive and amazing. But you can also find a quieter side if you wanna read your book and just feel the air. In short, I love it!!
Hey I forgot to mention the cafe's and restaurants. And don't miss the chinese noodles that wafts the air with it's delicious aroma.