PDA

View Full Version : February,23

Selena261
22-02-2005, 14:45
Do expat-guys receive congratulations on the 23 of february too?
Really, what do you feel about it?

DJ Biscuit
22-02-2005, 14:49
Persoanlly I don't think so. It is traditionaly Defefenders of The Fatherland Day, meaning Russia and while I have lived here ten years and pay all relevant taxes I in no way have defended the country, never served in the army here or anywhere, and would not, don't agree with it, so I don't see how it can be called a holiday or celebration that concerns us at all.

jheisel
22-02-2005, 14:49
If Russian girls expect their boyfriends to buy presents/take them out to dinner on March 8, I think a little February 23 loving is only the least that can be expected! :)

Shatneresque
22-02-2005, 14:54
Vastly prefer February 14, myself....

DJ Biscuit
22-02-2005, 14:55
Originally posted by jheisel
If Russian girls expect their boyfriends to buy presents/take them out to dinner on March 8, I think a little February 23 loving is only the least that can be expected! :)

I hear the sound of JHeisel opening up a huge can of worms....

Selena261
22-02-2005, 14:56
Once ,some years ago one british guy was furious i didn't congratulate him, i was very much puzzled, now i'm working in a purely russian company, but i wonder , in companies with mixed personnel do girls congratulate russians ( though most of them have nothing to do with defenders) as well as expats?

Fa-Q!
22-02-2005, 14:57
It used to be for former serviceman but in the business world, they don't exclude anyone. They congratulate us all. I could care less about the holiday (you asked what we think about it). I didn't serve in any army.

Ledka
22-02-2005, 14:59
As for me, I don't associate February 23 with Defenders Day or Army Day. For me it's just Men's Day!

Sadie
22-02-2005, 14:59
Originally posted by jheisel
yeah right, just so that bfs do not overdo with presents

i don't get it: what to congratulate with? I think it's more like an office holiday: 23/02 women conratulate men and they get drunk. 08/03 men congratulate women and get drunk again

DJ Biscuit
22-02-2005, 15:00
I'm English and have worked in several places on Moscow and in all but one was the only foreigner, I have always been included in the collective women giving the men a token gift but frankly it's embarrassing especially in front of the other men. It's simply not my holiday, full stop. No reason to get upset or anything.

jheisel
22-02-2005, 15:00
This is my third Feb. 23 working in a multinational company in Moscow -- they do nothing for the guys, whereas March 8 is a BIG deal. Personally, I could care less, but as the holiday is broadly referred to here as "men's day," I don't object to special treatment...

DJ Biscuit
22-02-2005, 15:01
Originally posted by Sadie
yeah right, just so that bfs do not overdo with presents

i don't get it: what to congratulate with? I think it's more like an office holiday: 23/02 women conratulate men and they get drunk. 08/03 men congratulate women and get drunk again

:agree: :agree: :D :D

Kseniya
22-02-2005, 15:11

LOL :) I agree with you.

In Soviet times these holidays were really appreciated by our parents and grandparents...I still remember how I perfomed with poem for our mothers and grandmothers at kindergarten - I was 4yo!!! (Девочки и мальчики, давайте вместе с вами, спасибо скажем бабушке, спасибо скажем маме...).But now it all over...or maybe not?

From another point of view I like presents:) Today during the lunchtime our guys and us went alltogether to Japanese restaurant nearby. During the meals we presented them the gifts (to guys), they were happy as happy as children :D

peyote
22-02-2005, 15:15
the girls came to my room "c'mon! what are you doing here?! we're throwing a party and it's nothing without you!"

a present, kisses, the girls are already piani and i'm still melted on the floor trying to recover from it all.

whatever the holiday is, keep it coming girls!
:D

Random
22-02-2005, 15:18
I work for a Ruskie company & I know that we are going to get some small gift ...

:agree:

Guess it won't be what I want though :mad: I dont see a new Aston parked outside !! :D

Fa-Q!
22-02-2005, 15:19
I got a beer mug. As if I drink beer or something...:D

peyote
22-02-2005, 15:24
i got a bong! as if i smoke or something :p

Kseniya
22-02-2005, 15:26
Fa-Q! You don't drink beer?...I guess your favourite drink is vodka or something?:)

Fa-Q!
22-02-2005, 15:29
ksenya, baby, I drink from the fountain of life!

Peyote, I wish I had friends like yours!

Selena261
22-02-2005, 15:30
Thank you guys for the replies - I also think that now it is simply men's holiday - don't feel embarrassed and grab your presents.
My congratulations to all of you here, I mean , Russians, expats.
and have a nice day off!!!!!!!!!! :)

Kseniya
22-02-2005, 15:33
Originally posted by Fa-Q!
ksenya, baby, I drink from the fountain of life!

OK:) that's great, Fa-Q! keep it up! :p

DJ Biscuit
22-02-2005, 16:52
The holiday does affect me nevertheless, I cannot open the bars I run until 3pm on Wednesday because of the 'celebrations'.

Random
22-02-2005, 16:54
Got a CD holder ...which would be handy if I had a CD's

P.I.M.P.
22-02-2005, 18:07
Got a huge floor pillow - pretty cool :)

I don't mind celebrating; I'm the only guy at my company who ever served in the military, even if not Russian. Everyone here some way or another got out of military duty.

Random
22-02-2005, 18:19
Originally posted by P.I.M.P.
Got a huge floor pillow - pretty cool :)

I don't mind celebrating; I'm the only guy at my company who ever served in the military, even if not Russian. Everyone here some way or another got out of military duty.

PIMP you raise an interesting point .. I did my bit for Queen & Country ...yet most of the ruskies here seem to have ..how to say swerved the army bit ...which I have to confess I don't blame them ...but does this mean more totty for those of us who have worn a uniform ...and no Sid I dont mean the Scouts !!

Crazyeelboy
22-02-2005, 19:12
I've always been included in the corporate celebrations, but like Biscuit, I'm not into this at all.

Sadie
22-02-2005, 19:19
Originally posted by Random
Got a CD holder ...which would be handy if I had a CD's
jesus, Random, what do you listen to, gramophone records? :)
ask PIMP, maybe he could exchange with you if you like his pillow more ;)

J.D.
22-02-2005, 19:53
A few girls congratulate me each year. I complain to the ones that don't and they say "You weren't in the army." I tell them "Yes I was and I fought with Russian soldiers in Afghanistan!"

Sadie
22-02-2005, 19:57
JD, we all saw how you saved the world from the neutron bomb or whatever it was. You deserved the admiration :agree: :p

DJ Biscuit
22-02-2005, 20:00
Originally posted by J.D.
A few girls congratulate me each year. I complain to the ones that don't and they say "You weren't in the army." I tell them "Yes I was and I fought with Russian soldiers in Afghanistan!"

NURSE! Patient in the end bed has got free again.

J.D.
22-02-2005, 20:03
To date only one girl got the joke, well sort of. She understood the implication and was horrified at it.

J.D.
22-02-2005, 20:04
JD, we all saw how you saved the world from the neutron bomb or whatever it was. You deserved the admiration :agree: :p

I forgot about that. I'll try and use that tomorrow.

Kseniya
22-02-2005, 20:07
:) :) :)

anyway, guys my Congrats to everyone ...even if you are not Russians, you are MEN, right? 23d is a men's holiday. :p