PDA

View Full Version : Distant studing

FlakeySnowballer
23-03-2010, 17:25
Could you name US or UK universities where distant studing take a place?
The question to Brits.Do you know London Metropolitan University. What could you say about it?

moscowman
23-03-2010, 18:51
Two places that might be worth a try are Liverpool University and the Open University.

SV1973a
23-03-2010, 19:39
And the University of London. They offer `external programmes` of different kinds through their colleges.

nbogaard
24-03-2010, 08:17
Flakey, I think the largest is probably University of Maryland or perhaps University of Arizona but check out this web site:

www.intstudy.com/articles/usadist.htm

Swordfish90293
24-03-2010, 08:30
I have a cousin who teaches a portion of an MBA curriculum at UCLA online. I don't know, however, if attendance is totally on the net.

Also try University of Phoenix, although I don't know of their standing.

Matt24
24-03-2010, 08:41
The question to Brits.Do you know London Metropolitan University. What could you say about it?

Very nice locations, good for the centre of town transport wise - quite a high proportion of male students and faculty, not a bad cv filler for batchelor degrees especially in pure science - they've got a very nice library, and dating back to the Guildhall days a reasonable reputation for the liberal arts - my understanding is that since 1997 they've been at the forefront of trying to establish themselves as a scientific centre of excellence and chase 'New labours / commercial sponsorship dollar', there was a financial scandal a few years back that I think hasn't really gone away and investigation is suspended pending the recovery from financial crisis. Guidhall turned me down for a lecturers job back in the 90's, so clearly they've got spot-on quality control.

FlakeySnowballer
24-03-2010, 14:50
Huge THAnk you Guys:celebrate:

Bels
24-03-2010, 20:24
The London Metropoliton University is a very good choice. As for the Open university, I don't think it works in Russia, even for expat Brits. Too many restrictions.

LOndon Met recommended for distance or for foriegn studen\ts going to study in UK http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/

FlakeySnowballer
24-03-2010, 21:24
The London Metropoliton University is a very good choice. As for the Open university, I don't think it works in Russia, even for expat Brits. Too many restrictions.

LOndon Met recommended for distance or for foriegn studen\ts going to study in UK http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/

Thank you Bels

Matt24
24-03-2010, 23:15

The Open University works very well for suitably qualified Russian and expatriated students living in Russia, I know of a French lady living in Barcelona, 2 Russians based in Russia and an American who have all received excellent marketable qualifications from the OU - if you have sufficient self motivation, (the OU works at a very great distance in a modular format that seems to give limitless opportunity to extend courses for the perpetual student), the OU offers very high quality education at very reasonable pricing, even without state subsidy. I found this on their website about what exactly is a suitable candidate:

"All teaching is in English and your proficiency in the English language should be adequate for the level of study you wish to take. We strongly recommend that students have achieved an IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of at least 7. To assess your English language skills in relation to your proposed studies you an visit the IELTS web page at www.ielts.org.

Most students will have to pay a higher fee because the UK fee includes a government subsidy restricted to UK residents and students with British Forces Post Office addresses.

For further information, please visit the Studying Outside the UK website."

Cheers

Matt

MickeyTong
25-03-2010, 02:43
The Open University works very well ....

I've just finished a BA with the OU. It was a bit of a slog, having no peer support, but their learning materials were really impressive.

FlakeySnowballer
25-03-2010, 10:16
I've just finished a BA with the OU. It was a bit of a slog, having no peer support, but their learning materials were really impressive.

How much time did you spend to finish the university? One year or more?
Did you receive diploma?

MickeyTong
25-03-2010, 15:49
How much time did you spend to finish the university? One year or more?
Did you receive diploma?

It took 6 years (I had a gap of 1 year because I was fed up with it).

Yes, a handsome certificate on quality, watermarked paper. It's lying about somewhere in a pile of junk mail.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/?KWCAMPAIGN=zed_Brand&keywordid=ggluk_open_university

FlakeySnowballer
25-03-2010, 21:30
It took 6 years (I had a gap of 1 year because I was fed up with it).

Yes, a handsome certificate on quality, watermarked paper. It's lying about somewhere in a pile of junk mail.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/?KWCAMPAIGN=zed_Brand&keywordid=ggluk_open_university

Why didn't you receive a degree (diploma i mean)?

Bels
25-03-2010, 21:45
Why didn't you receive a degree (diploma i mean)?

I think he did somehow. He is a Psychiatrist.

Kraven Morehead
25-03-2010, 22:58
There is an Open Canadian University called Athabasca University also.
It all depends on what you want.

Bels
25-03-2010, 23:03
And it will all depend in what you need it for. And who you seek who wil recognise the qualification. So for example , you should check up with future employers of who you might want to work with, if they will recognise this qualification. It is the employer in the end who decides. Ask, or search what the current vacancies are asking for.

There is an Open Canadian University called Athabasca University also.
It all depends on what you want.

MickeyTong
26-03-2010, 01:34
I think he did somehow. He is a Psychiatrist.

Flakey: I have received a degree.

Bels: I'm not a psychiatrist, I'm a psychiatric nurse.