PDA

View Full Version : vaccinations and booster shots

Shara
18-02-2005, 12:34
I am planning a trip to an even less civilized area of the world and need some new vaccinations and boosters. (Hepatitis A and B, Tetanus, Typhoid...)
Anyone know where I can get that?

Olim
18-02-2005, 13:31
Less civilized than even here???

Seriously though, for this kind of thing you need to go to Euromed, SOS or American clinic. If you to a Russian place, it is possible they could inject you with, well, nothing at all. This is certainly not an unusual practice here in Moscow, so be wary.

Phone ahead to the clinics and make sure they have what you need in stock.

Shara
18-02-2005, 13:39
Of course I'm teasing about here not being civilized. My parents freaked out when I told them I was coming here but when I told them I am going to Vietnam for vacation they told me the hoped I didn't get some exotic disease and die or get sold into the slave trade...Oh world travelers...
Thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought about being injected with nothing.

85StoneWhiteFurball
18-02-2005, 17:23
International SOS 937 57 60; I have received hepatitis shots there and I know they mentioned that they do provide travel vaccinations of all types.

polly
18-02-2005, 17:25
funny, they made me take typhoid to come here. easy tho, that one was a pill vacc, no side effects.

sfjohns67
18-02-2005, 17:30
SOS is the best choice, they handle in-country vaccination requirements for my project, never had a complaint. I think they have a database with vaccination requirements for just about every country in the world, should be able to hook you up just fine.

Shara
21-02-2005, 11:31
Great. I will go there. I had to get a bunch of shots to come here the first time but that was a year ago and I don't remember which ones they were. One was one of the hepatitis series (means I need a booster for sure!) the other was typhoid, I think but ...

Olim
21-02-2005, 15:36
You wont need any boosters for vaccinations you had a year ago.

DPG
21-02-2005, 15:39
Wrong - according to the vaccination booklet and record given to me by my doctor before I came here, Hep A needs a booster in 6-12 months...

Shara
21-02-2005, 15:46
yeah i know for sure i need that booster. it's a 3 part series for hepatitis.

pengwn9
21-02-2005, 16:25
Vietnam?? Oi. Out of curiosity, why Vietnam?

Olim
21-02-2005, 16:28
Why did you have a hep A jab in the first place for Russia?

And before anyone starts doubting my cred as a doc, I thought if you'd had any immunisations at all, you would have had the full course before going where ever otherwise why bother?

85StoneWhiteFurball
21-02-2005, 16:35
My Int'l SOS physician recommended the Hep A shot for me here in Russia because Hep A can happen ANYWHERE. Green onions served at a chain restaurant were to blame for one breakout of the disease in the US! Physician, heal thine self :(, and EVERYBODY, get that hep A jab!

HepB is also recommended here, but the rationale given (for those who are not in high risk groups) is that it protects against unscreened blood transfusions in a Russian hospital. Not worth it for me to have that on my med/insurance records as in these times my having had the shot could be used against me when determining future insurance coverage.

Shara
21-02-2005, 16:42
they told me that just the first Hep-A jab offered protection enough and that the additional 2 made it lasting. Of course, that was when I planned to be here only 6 months so now it's definetly booster time or start over time.

Vietnam--well, not my choice #1. My boyfriend likes to go places most people don't go so while I'd be happy to see Prague or Vienna, he wants to go to Mumbai or Hanoi. Wierdo. Other thing is, I'm sure he's trying to kill me because he keeps reminding me that Vietnam is sure to do the trick since I almost died in Sochi (really bad food poisoning). #2. I saw this great French movie years ago called Indochine with Catherine DeNeuve and I think it was filmed in Vietnam. It looked amazingly beautiful and I would love to see it.

#3 It's warm and has beaches! Need I say more?!

Olim
21-02-2005, 16:43
I am sure he did recommend it. I bet it wasn't free either, was it?

Anyway, as I don't have the delicate constitution of a Westerner rearely treat non- Russians, perhaps its not my place to comment on this. However, I will say once again that any injections you do choose to have should be performed in an international clinic. Don't try to save money by having it done in a Russian place.

Shara
21-02-2005, 16:46
It cost me a lot. That and the AIDS test for the Russian Visa (don't get me started on how stupid the law on that is...more than 3 months...all one would need is a day!)

I don't plan to skimp on the vaccinations. I don't mess with my health. I am a frail westerner and I get sick at the drop of a hat so I have to be careful.

85StoneWhiteFurball
21-02-2005, 16:47
My insurance paid.

One does not need to be a physician to know that Westerners and Russians have the same basic DNA and same basic organ structure and are both susceptible to Hep A from contaminated food :(. Are you perhaps an equine proctologist?

Olim
21-02-2005, 16:58
I think the point I was trying to make was that SOMEONE paid for the injection.

I wasn't being entirely serious about Russians/ Europeans/ whoever having different body make-ups. All I was saying is that you wouldn't consider having a Hep A jab in the normal course of events in your home country so why do it here?

And if anyone is the horse's arse expert, it's you.

Shara
21-02-2005, 17:03
Actually, I had to have an Hep-A jab for my first year in University. In North Carolina in the USA so it's more than necessary everywhere.

DPG
21-02-2005, 17:05
All my vaccs were absolutely free in the UK before I came over here - as were the boosters when I went back after a year...

Olim, we'll tell you about your cred as a doc when you tell us where you work... [Don't worry - I won't delete it for advertising or anything...!]

Olim
21-02-2005, 17:06
Well that's North Carolina, stands to reason..... ;)

Anyway, a person should take whatever preventative steps they feel they should when it comes to their health if it puts your mind at rest. You are lucky you are in a position to do so, so if it mnakes you feel safer, go for it.

Just to answer DPG's q , I work in a Russian hospital in Taganskaya. I wouldn't recommend it for those used to such luxuries of EuroMed, SOS etc. In addition, I am a surgeon, not an immunologist, so I'll shut up now.

Shara
21-02-2005, 17:09
yeah, it is a bit uncivilized in North Carolina. Should get my vaccination here in Russia so that it's safe to go visit my germ ridden family :P

I'm a stress case so I will get every jab they recommend on the state dept site or the German site for this thing. Could only help in the long run.

Shara
21-02-2005, 17:10
Oh and DPG, I'm so jealous. It cost me over $100 just for the one shot in the states. I may work for a pharmaceuticals company but I am SO in favor of reeling in the prices in the US.