PDA

View Full Version : Kamchatka -- any special visa requirements?

Lucia
15-02-2005, 11:53
Hi -- I'm planning a trip to Kamchatka in June. Can anyone tell me if I'll be OK getting my Pa a normal Russian tourist visa like the one I usually get for him to visit Moscow? Or does the visa have to specifically mention Kamchatka?

Also -- any recommendations for tour companies? I think we're OK for air tickets.

Thanks a lot.

Sparafucile
15-02-2005, 23:05
I went on a regular Russian multi-entry visa. Despite them still asking the question (it's only because they have never reprinted the stationery) you are no longer restricted to only cities you list on the application form.

Although there are no visa oddities, bear in mind that the entire peninsular is still under Military Governance. I had my camera siezed and the film destroyed (camera then politely returned to me) for taking photos on a public beach where no signs said it was forbidden. (Of course, I knew exactly what I was photographing - the "doesn't officially exist" military city, on the opposite side of the bay to Petropavlovsk - one of Russia's main nuclear sub bases).

I would recommend Andrei and Rinat at Lost World as a local travel company there - PM me if you want an email for them?

Time your trip with care, the weather-window for doing any wilderness stuff is very restricted. I got whited-out in early September and never even got as far as Esso.

Go to Palatunka - outdoor hot swimming pool amidst the ice :-)

Luck
18-02-2005, 18:01
I had lived in Kamchatka before I started my postgraduate studies in Moscow. If I could be helpful to some degree you can ask me anything by sending me e-mail svetlana1601@yandex.ru

Lucia
22-02-2005, 10:07
Thanks Spara and Luck, but the Aeroflot cheap tickets ran out, so I'm going to Altai instead.