PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Moscow

barmaley13
23-09-2003, 08:50
Can anyone recommend me a good and inexpensive moving or shipping company?
I am moving from New York within two weeks. Also, does it make any sense to move the stuff from the US?

Thank You

Ledka
23-09-2003, 13:04
to move the staff? do u mean ur cleaning lady?

DaveUK1965
23-09-2003, 14:20
I think that should read "stuff" - Ledka. ;-))))

If you put your cleaning lady in a 40 foot container, questions WILL be asked.. but at least she can ensure your furniture is clean when it gets to Russia. ;-)))

Remember to pack enough sandwiches for her. ;-)))))

More seriously - I was trying to find a container shipper UK <>RU recently as some families over here wanted to send a load of stUff to Russia. We found it very difficult to find anyone who did it. The idea we had was to ship from the UK to St Petersburg port and then by rail to Volgograd / Volzhsky. I split up with my fiancee before this all happened, but the impression I got was that it would be ruinously expensive to do it. I think you`ll find you`re much better off buying what you need in Russia - remember - you are going to be living in MUCH smaller accomodation than previously, and you`ll only have to ship things back when you`re finished with them. Better to store everything you don`t need with family and friends and rent furnished.

The cost of a lot of household goods in Russia is higher than in Europe, quality for quality, as a lot of goods are imported from there and thus have import tax levied on them. Expensive excercise. Some companies pay or help with relocation costs. It may be worth asking an employer what their package is.

bolex
12-10-2003, 09:49
First of all, congratulations on a big move. Second of all, bring some clothes, because in my homecountry there are abnormally expensive.

Teutonic Deity
12-10-2003, 20:40
Leave your 110v appliances at home... Most computers these days are multi-voltage so they should be fine, but tv's, vcr's, and dvd players (which here need to be multi-system as well as multi-voltage) should be left at home. If you have anything exotic that is 110v (like a massaging armchair) you can get a transformer here to make it work.

Broadmoor Bob
12-10-2003, 23:30
Originally posted by DaveUK1965
The cost of a lot of household goods in Russia is higher than in Europe, quality for quality, as a lot of goods are imported from there and thus have import tax levied on them. Expensive excercise. Some companies pay or help with relocation costs. It may be worth asking an employer what their package is.

Which goods? Certainly not electronics - Russia is between the US and UK pricewise as far as video cameras, VCR's, computers, printers, and I think even food processors, blenders, irons etc are concerned. Check www.003.ru for a good selection to compare prices.

geneven
20-10-2003, 20:26
I don't know what you're talking about with regard to electronic goods. Many items here are hundreds of dollars more expensive than those in the US. Compare the prices at www.outpost.com (Fry's Electronics, the most popular place to buy electronics in Southern California) and any prices you find on www.price.ru.

IPOD's for example -- I'd buy one here if they weren't so overwhelmingly expensive.

futureischanging
21-11-2003, 12:45
Prices here in Moscow are much higher than the States. So bring what you can.

I'm from Canada and if you call Altair Logistics you can get a container from Toronto to Moscow for about $1200 USD but that was a price to me.

The problem with bringing your stuff is CUSTOMS. This place likes to F*&$ you whenever theres a chance. So make sure you know the rules first and that you can wait for your stuff to be releasted form Customs. They may let your stuff go without a huge charge but to try and get you to pay they will hold it for a long time. Peolpe who can't wait just pay.

I may no a good Customs Guy, email me.

Billie Bob
21-11-2003, 23:26
OK, Inexpensive moving company...
if you are not in a rush to move out, that is, your stuff, you can try several polish (not joking) agencies in NYC, who will get your stuff in a months time, maybe more.

Allied Pickford is here, and if you need them go for it.

There are plenty of agencies to move you, even back in the states.

Suggestion: if you are from NYC, pick up the Novoye Russkoye Slovo Newspaper, and check out the adverts in there. (hoe you read russian)... rrr...

What to bring and not to bring:

As Teutonic stated, no 110v electronics, other than your pc, or such video camcorder, which all have built in converters.

Everything here is available. Furniture, is not necessary, you can get good, economy, budget russian furniture, or IKEA quality as well, prices are not bad.

Everything is available. American clothing is not, well, Columbia coats are here. No GAP, no Sears, No A&S. Not even Burlingtons.

But there are plenty of clothing places, and markets.

Sometimes I am amazed at all the females wearing some of the most incredible looking clothing on, that puts most foreigners away.

Again, everything is available, at all price ranges..