PDA

View Full Version : Bels is in the hot seat.

Bels
07-03-2010, 22:01
The hot seat is not a bad idea... I will start a forum for it, and we can see how it goes

Please join the conversation there to work out the ground rules.

OK. I'm for it. And as this thread has already put me on the hot seat in this case, let it be this thread.

I have already been been honest about my identity. however for many things may known about me due to the length of time I have been active here, and because of the amount of posts I have made. Of course you only have to click my previous posts and read , like you can do with any other member here. Problem is that there is a lot to read in my case.

Yes I agree to be on the hot seat, however I won't answer everything, as it is an open forum. and don't like to be too personal in certain cases. As a forum I will be open and honest as much as I can. By the way, all my posts are extremely honest. Some of them I am not proud of them. But many of them I feel very proud of having. I am not perfect, like most of us here.

What I can assure you is that I am a real human being here, living in Moscow region now, and for the past five years. Yes it is all real. And that that is all all all I ask from other members here. To be real! To be temselves, yes reservations within reason accepted. As after all we are on a public forum. But as many members know, I prefer to discuss openly, rather than PM. Although at the same time PMs are very useful at times. and much appreciated. Especially for private support etc.

So fire away. I am o the hot seat.

Judge
07-03-2010, 22:06
Where are you from?
What do you like most about Russia?
Do you like mushy peas or gravy ?

Bels
07-03-2010, 22:21
Where are you from?

Who destroyed this thread and why?

TD
07-03-2010, 22:21
What's your favorite malt beverage?
What is the Airspeed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow?

Judge
07-03-2010, 22:24
Who destroyed this thread and why?

I'm not in the hot seat so I can't answer that......:thumbsup:

It's been sorted...
:ok:

MickeyTong
07-03-2010, 22:24
What is the Airspeed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow?

African or European?

MissAnnElk
07-03-2010, 22:26
WHAT is your favorite color?

WHAT is your quest?

Bels
07-03-2010, 22:26
Where did you learn English?
Are you a native English speaker?

Yes I am. I learnt it in England. And yes I am a native speaker. The best in teaching English. Especially children. Any thing else.

Now I ask a question. Who was the person who destroyed a very good thread, and destroyed it!

Whoever done it must have been out of his mind, and was probably an English native speaker.

As clearly stated, it was a very good thread. Where is it , rather than this nonsence.

Bels
07-03-2010, 22:28
Scottish as you know. Where were you born?

African or European?

J.D.
07-03-2010, 22:29
Don't worry Bels. Lets make this into a very good thread to replace it.

You have stated in the past that English teachers are held to a higher standard when posting here. I think everyone would agree that, for better or worse, it is true.
How do you think you measure up to the lower standard that non-teachers are held to?

is4fun
07-03-2010, 22:33
Yes I am. I learnt it in England. And yes I am a native speaker. The best in teaching English. Especially children. Any thing else.

Now I ask a question. Who was the person who destroyed a very good thread, and destroyed it!

Whoever done it must have been out of his mind, and was probably an English native speaker.

As clearly stated, it was a very good thread. Where is it , rather than this nonsence.

It was just4fun, a close relative.

TD
07-03-2010, 22:34

I copied your post from that thread to the beginning of this one...

Bels
07-03-2010, 22:36
OK! I understand no. The previous excellent thread has been closed and we move on here now. I am now on the hot seat now. I hope other known members will also take this hotseat of which I am taking now as the first example.

Of course I love mushy peas, and I must have gravy with my meat, how else can we possibly have it. YUM!! Marrowfat peas in gravy is terrific

Where are you from?

MissAnnElk
07-03-2010, 22:37
YouTube- Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Three Questions

Bels
07-03-2010, 22:37
I now understand. Thanks.

I copied your post from that thread to the beginning of this one...

is4fun
07-03-2010, 22:45
What was your favorite toy when you were a child?

Bels
07-03-2010, 22:46

You have stated in the past that English teachers are held to a higher standard when posting here. I think everyone would agree that, for better or worse, it is true.
How do you think you measure up to the lower standard that non-teachers are held to?

Perhaps my English is very poor. But I don't fully understand your question. But I will do my best in answering.

We have native English teachers here of who are highly qualified in teaching. And we have those who of whom are simply native English speaking people.

We have a demand here in Russia, and that is those who can teach English, and those that are simply required for practice in conversation with a native English speaker. Of which category do you belong with?

Bels
07-03-2010, 22:48
What was your favorite toy when you were a child?

You won't believe me, it was a football. I am being honest. OH! And my bike.

J.D.
07-03-2010, 22:53
Perhaps my English is very poor. But I don't fully understand your question. But I will do my best in answering.

We have native English teachers here of who are highly qualified in teaching. And we have those who of whom are simply native English speaking people.

We have a demand here in Russia, and that is those who can teach English, and those that are simply required for practice in conversation with a native English speaker. Of which category do you belong with?

Not sure I understood your answer (actually I was just being polite, I absolutely did not understand your answer)

But as for your question, I guess I would have to say I belong to the other one.

That's the other one from you,

I think . . .

MickeyTong
07-03-2010, 22:55

John 11:35

Bels
07-03-2010, 22:56
European and born in Scotland as you already know. Were you born in Scotland? LOL! I can't wait to get you in the hot seat. The psychiatrist living in the outer Hebrides of Scotland. You are much more interesting than I am. I am boring by comparison.

African or European?

J.D.
07-03-2010, 23:03

I'm still laughing.
I will probably still be laughing in the morning, after having woke up in the night laughing.

Just wanted to let you know it wasn't wasted on everyone.

Bels
07-03-2010, 23:07
Where are you from?

What do I like most about Russia> My wife and my children. I came here because I loved my wife, of whom I met first in London, and then in Paris. Finally I decided to meet her in Moscow region. To be honest you, at that time I had no interest in Moscow. I was intersted in the woman that I met by chance. I wasn't interested in a Russian woman, it was simply that she was Russian by chance. I never thought much of Russian women or Russian people before then. Yes I was naive at the time, even though I had trelled the world. I thought like any other British person of Russians at the time. I dididn't realise that Russian women were so warm and friendly, same as all Russian people. You should go to london one day, and ask the London natives of what they know about Russians. I now find them very strange.

Bels
07-03-2010, 23:18
I am sorry. But the wording is very strange for a question. Let us look more deeply into your quted question. Teachers are held to a higher standard when posting here What on eart are you talking about??

AND??? How do you measure up to the lower standard that non teachers are held to??

Sorry!! But is there any other teacher who could answer such questions specifically!! I like to be specifific. And yes I did give a typical English political answer. But please somebody!! How could I answer this question in a better way? Nye panemayo.

Bels
07-03-2010, 23:23
Don't worry. You are on the hot seat next. I hope you will answer honestly. As you are next LOL!

I'm still laughing.
I will probably still be laughing in the morning, after having woke up in the night laughing.

Just wanted to let you know it wasn't wasted on everyone.

Matt24
07-03-2010, 23:26

Very special, well done

J.D.
07-03-2010, 23:31
Very special, well done

Does that mean you will be on the hot seat after me?

Bels
07-03-2010, 23:32
So I am so stupid. Agreed. So what is so special about 11:35 and welldone?

Do you want an English speaking or don't you? Or shall we continue to speak in codes?

Very special, well done

Judge
07-03-2010, 23:35
Thanks for answering my questions..One more for you.
Have you read the Bible?

J.D.
07-03-2010, 23:38
Well there are codes and then there are codes. For example if I answer '10-4' most Americans (and maybe Brits, I don't know) understand that this code means "OK".
I think that this code, John 11:35, would be understood by Europeans and those of European decent. So it's not really a code.
Maybe one of you Brits can give another British example.

Bels
07-03-2010, 23:38
Thanks for answering my questions..One more for you.
Have you read the Bible?

Yes I have By force.I was brought up on it. Do I believe in it . yes like a Grimm's fairy tale

J.D.
07-03-2010, 23:42
Yes I have By force.I was brought up on it. Do I believe in it . yes like a Grimm's fairy tale
Did you read the fourth book of the New Testament?

Bels
07-03-2010, 23:50
Did you read the fourth book of the New Testament?

Yes I did. But it was so long ago. I cant't remember what it was all about. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

J.D.
07-03-2010, 23:59
Yes I did. But it was so long ago. I cant't remember what it was all about. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

It was about Jesus mostly. It was one of the Gospels.
Do you know who wrote it?

shurale
08-03-2010, 00:02
1) What is that picture you have next to your name?
2) Do you speak with nearly incomprehensible Scottish accent or incmprehnsle Scottish accent?
3) If you had a fight with Begbie, who do you think would win?

Bels
08-03-2010, 00:02
It was about Jesus mostly. It was one of the Gospels.
Do you know who wrote it?

Mark, Luke Joh or Mathew? Whatever. I don't know, and I don't give a damn who did. That is my honest anwer.

J.D.
08-03-2010, 00:04
Oh well, so much for the Socratic method.

MickeyTong
08-03-2010, 00:09
Oh well, so much for the Socratic method.
The Begbie method would be more appropriate.

Bels
08-03-2010, 00:10
1) What is that picture you have next to your name?
2) Do you speak with nearly incomprehensible Scottish accent or incmprehnsle Scottish accent?
3) If you had a fight with Begbie, who do you think would win?

I speak southern English accent. I was only born in Scotland, and moved to Southern England at the age of five,

I speak clear English accent. Very clear, and in good grammar.

The picture next my name is a dalek, as from the Doctor Who series, a well known BBC TV production.

For Begbie? I don't know who Begbie is. Honstly.

Judge
08-03-2010, 00:15
Begbie is the one telling the story..:beerbros:

Dailymotion - Begbie 01 - Film ve TV Kanalı@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/xa3g5l@@AMEPARAM@@xa3g5l

MickeyTong
08-03-2010, 00:16

Although your frequent, and inappropriate, use of "of who" and "of which" reflects the Russian который grammatical phrasing (to my mind, anyway).

Bels
08-03-2010, 00:19
Although your frequent, and inappropriate, use of "of who" and "of which" reflects the Russian который grammatical phrasing (to my mind, anyway).

You are next to be nominated for the hotseat Mickey Tong. Will you accept?

Bels
08-03-2010, 00:24
Not my taste. So that is why I don't know anything about this Begbie. Watched it, but I couldn't see the humour. He wasn't funny and not understood, even for a native Scotsman.

Begbie is the one telling the story..:beerbros:

Dailymotion - Begbie 01 - Film ve TV Kanalı (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa3g5l_begbie-01_shortfilms)

MickeyTong
08-03-2010, 00:30
You are next to be nominated for the hotseat Mickey Tong. Will you accept?

I'm too shy......

ezik
08-03-2010, 00:44
Right, all to sweet and to-the-point here. Let's continue with some questions that are absolutely irrelevant.

1. Which celebrity did you have crush on when you were 16?
2. Who gave you your first French kiss?
3. Cognac or Armagnac?
4. Did you ever "skive"? When and how? (My Scottish boss uses that term)
5. What do you miss in Moscow? Like: sea, marmite, other Scottish stuff
6. Who killed JFK? I know that you know. So you might finally tell us all.
7. What was your most "tabloid" moment in Moscow, i.e. the most scandalous, embarrasing experience?
8. Who's the boss in the house? You or the missus?
9. How did it feel when an Australian got the main role in Braveheart?
10. Who is next for the Hot Seat if Mickey is too shy?

tvadim133
08-03-2010, 01:17
Ezhik, you are intolerable... so many questions at once. :) :) :)

tvadim133
08-03-2010, 01:23
Bels, I am sorry to ask the question, but why you did so many mistakes in writing here in the Forum?

I guess, that in Russian I can make some misprints as well, but I have never done grammar mistakes at least (and, believe me, the Russian language is more complicated in grammar forms, models and even words for russian native speaker).

P.S.I like your ways of expressing your thought and opinions!
and hope my question will not be considered by you to be provocative.

ezik
08-03-2010, 01:27
Ezhik, you are intolerable... so many questions at once. :) :) :)

I'm just in a mean mood. Wondering what a Bardak version of the Hot Seat would look like... :P

J.D.
08-03-2010, 06:19

Can you explain the humor that a native English speaker would find in this statement?

moscowmail
08-03-2010, 08:20
Bels, I am sorry to ask the question, but why you did so many mistakes in writing here in the Forum?

Hahahahahahha, the best question yet

My question, if I may

Why do you continually defend yourself?

Surely if you are very popular, and I believe you are one of the best people in the World, you shouldn't need to (and if you are, don't defend yoursefl, don't lower your brillaint standards old chap).....

trebor
08-03-2010, 09:19
I speak southern English accent. I was only born in Scotland, and moved to Southern England at the age of five,

The picture next my name is a dalek, as from the Doctor Who series, a well known BBC TV production.

For Begbie? I don't know who Begbie is. Honstly.

Bels,

you are a regular here. We have had our disagreements in the past but you're a good guy.
How and why your English on this forum is not always great is your business. For people to keep harping on about it is pointless as far as i'm concerned.
As long as people can understand the jist of your post, why should the details your spelling and grammar concern them?

Now, a question;
How much longer will you be a Russian expat? And Where will you eventually settle?

Bels
08-03-2010, 21:06
Such difficult questions for me. Number 1. I never had a crush on any public celebrity. I never had any interest in any of them at them at the age of sixteen. In fact I have never had any interest whatsoever in celibrities. But I did have real life crushes on women and have had interest in real people I have met. But never , ever have I had a strong interest in any celibrity. I prefer real people on whom I meet. I prefer the real world, and I never read about celibrities. However I love good tv programmes. and good movies, but i couldn't give a toss about actors names aor prducer names. I just love watching good entertainment without having a crush on any particular famous person. I get a crush on what is in reality, in front of me, that is when I start naming people. I am not interested in the slightest.

Sorry the young Joan Collins was a lovely brilliant actress. I forgot about her. Lovely woman, untill she made a statement thet British TV was garbage compared to American TV entertainment. She was wrong at the time of course, as she had become too much americanised at the time, she was brainwashed. and didn't understand class.

Right, all to sweet and to-the-point here. Let's continue with some questions that are absolutely irrelevant.

1. Which celebrity did you have crush on when you were 16?
2. Who gave you your first French kiss?
3. Cognac or Armagnac?
4. Did you ever "skive"? When and how? (My Scottish boss uses that term)
5. What do you miss in Moscow? Like: sea, marmite, other Scottish stuff
6. Who killed JFK? I know that you know. So you might finally tell us all.
7. What was your most "tabloid" moment in Moscow, i.e. the most scandalous, embarrasing experience?
8. Who's the boss in the house? You or the missus?
10. Who is next for the Hot Seat if Mickey is too shy?

Bels
08-03-2010, 21:11
OK. After some thought. If you need an answer of a crush of a celibrity. It has to be Joan Collins in her younger days. She was lovely, and such a strong character, and brilliant actress. No other actress can match her today.

Bels
08-03-2010, 21:20
When I was in the Merchant Navy. I went on a ship to Narvic, was that in Norway. A nice little place in a local pub closest to the ship I was in . Lovely young women there. I was about 16. And met a lovely girl there. Sometimes I wished I returned there, but I didn't. The girl was lovely, and very loving. Now in the past obviously.

Bels
08-03-2010, 21:31
Eventually in Britain. But as you may well be aware , we may well have personal restrictions. Such as having a mother in law incapable of taking care of herself. We need to to be here to to keep an eye on her.

There is also the fear of being able to fully take care of ourselves in Britain, cost of property etc. Taking care for a family of four can be difficult in entering any country, even my own country.

At the moment am earning 2000 roubles an hour. Could I earn that in UK. That I am unsure. We ar of mature age so there are mortgage problems. We need fast cash and possibly a cash payment of a property in UK. Not in in an expensive area. That is our future. But for the moment build up our customers here, especially in the Summer, when my custom drops.

Bels,

you are a regular here. We have had our disagreements in the past but you're a good guy.
How and why your English on this forum is not always great is your business. For people to keep harping on about it is pointless as far as i'm concerned.
As long as people can understand the jist of your post, why should the details your spelling and grammar concern them?

Now, a question;
How much longer will you be a Russian expat? And Where will you eventually settle?

robertmf
08-03-2010, 21:34
I'm just in a mean mood. Wondering what a Bardak version of the Hot Seat would look like... :P
:11157: :tongue: :mml:

Bels
08-03-2010, 21:35
Let the members decide. I don't feel I am trying to defend myself. I feel I am having fun. What about you? Do you feel that we have a different style on the Expat.ru, compared to redtape.ru? Do you feel the difference on this forum? Apart from the volume of posts received here?

Hahahahahahha, the best question yet

My question, if I may

Why do you continually defend yourself?

Surely if you are very popular, and I believe you are one of the best people in the World, you shouldn't need to (and if you are, don't defend yoursefl, don't lower your brillaint standards old chap).....

J.D.
08-03-2010, 21:36
What did you study at University?

Bels
08-03-2010, 21:51
What did you study at University?

I didn't. I am 55. I studied in college for the Merchant navy. However I am studying now child psychology. In my times very few studied for university. and those times are now returning. Degrees are now considered useless, unless based on an aim of going for a specific profession. Surely you know that. My profession was engineering. But tmes change, it is now teaching young children as a second language, and those growing up to young teenagers. That is my study. Time changes, demands change. And strangely enough I find this area much more interesting than Engineering.

I am teaching eginner Russians to learn English, English to English, of which many claim is impossible. And no I don't have Russian assistant, as they are more of a hindrance. I have proven to parents that I have the talent of teaching English, without Russian translation. Speak English, and only English, it works.

Ezik might Understand being Dutch. By the way Dutch are the best in the learning of English. On my business meeting in the past , they were most impressive in speaking English. Why?

moscowmail
08-03-2010, 22:30
Let the members decide. I don't feel I am trying to defend myself. I feel I am having fun. What about you? Do you feel that we have a different style on the Expat.ru, compared to redtape.ru? Do you feel the difference on this forum? Apart from the volume of posts received here?

It's your hot seat old chap, don't want to take the lime light away, I will admit, the last couple of threads with you in have been outrageously funny, hats off to you, even though I am not sure you actually understand why, and the other place is fine thanks, you are a class act my friend, keep it up..

Bels
08-03-2010, 22:34
It's your hot seat old chap, don't want to take the lime light away, I will admit, the last couple of threads with you in have been outrageously funny, hats off to you, even though I am not sure you actually understand why, and the other place is fine thanks, you are a class act my friend, keep it up..

I'd love to know about you. As I don't know a lot about you. Perhaps you after me?

I go along with me for now. And sorry but I find some other members more amusing to me , than I am.

But very soon it will be somebody else. And I am going to enjoy being on the other side.

Bels
08-03-2010, 22:38
Believe me! I don't make grammar mistakes. I know grammar through and through. Mistakes in typing I might make, but never grammar mistakes.I know the lot, I have been studying and teaching for many years, there are no grammar mistakes.

I guess, that in Russian I can make some misprints as well, but I have never done grammar mistakes at least (and, believe me, the Russian language is more complicated in grammar forms, models and even words for russian native speaker).

robertmf
08-03-2010, 22:43

Old Russian peasant proverb, "The frying pan should not call the pot black".

:rant: It's gist with a 'g' :soccer:

Bels
08-03-2010, 22:43
You have made grammar mistakes in the past. However may I say that you are one of the written Russian person on this forum, in fact probably the best. But you have made mistakes. The difference is that nobody is bothered in pointing out your mistakes, providing that they get the understanding of your post. But for me, because of who I am , of course some will pick on me. But not you.

Willy
08-03-2010, 22:54
You have made grammar mistakes in the past. However may I say that you are one of the written Russian person on this forum, in fact probably the best. But you have made mistakes. The difference is that nobody is bothered in pointing out your mistakes, providing that they get the understanding of your post. But for me, because of who I am , of course some will pick on me. But not you.

Who are you?

Bels
08-03-2010, 23:10
Why do I feel so scared when I see willy answering my threads or posts.

I am a man. With Russian wife and childen, and a dog and a cat. Trying to fight through Russian Russian redtape, Yet trying to live happily ever after in this world. That is who I am. I am a family man who loves my wife and children in Russia.

Who are you?

Bels
08-03-2010, 23:26
A question from EZIK.

Brilliant! He was a great actor. And has shown he can speak in different accents. I loved the film. In fact I wish they could make more like it.

Bels
08-03-2010, 23:30
I do understand why. I am not stupid as you know very well. I am playing games as usual. It will be somebody else soon. Do you feel you now belong with expat.ru? Or the other doomed side?

Willy
08-03-2010, 23:41
Why do I feel so scared when I see willy answering my threads or posts.

I am a man. With Russian wife and childen, and a dog and a cat. Trying to fight through Russian Russian redtape, Yet trying to live happily ever after in this world. That is who I am. I am a family man who loves my wife and children in Russia.

Oh Willy gives you the chillies huh?

Well maybe if it was only Russian redtape and not Russian Russian redtape it would be easier. Try to take out one Russian, don't fight it and just go with the flow.

Beachcomber
09-03-2010, 00:04
Believe me! I don't make grammar mistakes. I know grammar through and through. Mistakes in typing I might make, but never grammar mistakes.I know the lot, I have been studying and teaching for many years, there are no grammar mistakes.

I think what you meant to say was: "...there are no grammatical mistakes", 'grammatical' being an adjective and 'grammar' being a noun and all that :)

Also, style-wise, it would have been better to say: "....there are no grammatical mistakes in my posts", for instance rather than leave your sentence without a subject.

Good luck with your teaching! :)

MickeyTong
09-03-2010, 00:11
Good luck with your teaching! :)

He is very, very lucky.

Willy
09-03-2010, 00:14
He is very, very lucky.

To be teaching at all.

whizkid
09-03-2010, 02:14
OK, guys, I really tried to get it. but I can't!

I keep reading all these threads about Bels or Willy or Bels and Willy.
you two just keep being mean to each other!! /and not just two of you-all those 'contributing' members too!!/
get over it!
it's not worth it.

to Willy: read agreements by Ruiz you posted a couple of weeks ago!
you're better than this! thanks for your honesty and a sharp mind.

to Bels: just keep on writing/posting! no matter what! this forum needs you. you are intelligent and smart and you're one of the few on this forum who really cares /though I can tell the same about Willy/!

even though I don't know either of you, what I do know is that as a member of this forum I like when Willy replies to a thread and when Bells starts a thread.

you're both good but in different ways!

and I don't understand why people here are so happy to be mean !? it's so easy to
be mean on the Internet when you know that there's no way you'll ever meet the 'victim'!

I personally don't think that the 'facts' that are being said here by 'Bels-haters' are relevant. not being an English native-speaker myself but as a member of this forum (which is a common combination here=) I can assure you that I don't care if Bels is a English native-speaker and a teacher. What matters here is a) that he has something to say/or to share with us/ and b) I can understand what he's saying! that's all that matters! it's not a linguistic forum-we're here not to judje one's level of English - we're here to share the experience of living in Russia. simple, isn't it?
and the same with Willy-I don't care if sometimes he is too rude. because it's simply irrelevant to his role on this forum!
he always /well, OK, most of the time/ knows what he is saying! he's brilliant in the other way -he's got his own opinion/point of view on every issue and he doesn't know what the word 'compromise' means. I mean in a good way)) so Willy is more like a judge.

and Bels is more like a good sourse of information /if you people don't agree with me than you should prove it not here in this thread by telling us how incompetent Bels is but in all those threads started or led by Bels-отвергай,но предлагай=reject but suggest/.

I personally don't like to be in such an environment where the only purpose of participants is to humiliate/upset/offend/etc. each other. it's just not right and it is depressing. I don't want to be a part of this, neither do the new members of this forum.
I'm sure that all the newbies that come here and see you guys squabbling simply decide to stay away from this place.
and it's not right!!

anyway, I want to thank Bels for being Bels and Willy for being Willy.
both they have made something good/helped me at some point. and I know that I can always ask them for advise/help if I need it.
and you know what, I don't know if there is anyone else here besides these two who actually can either help me or give me advise if I need one!

however, I hope you all get the point - this fight is just pointless and what's more-it's destructive to the forum!

so could you all, please, stop it! for the Women's day's sake at least)))

trebor
09-03-2010, 06:20
Old Russian peasant proverb, "The frying pan should not call the pot black".

:rant: It's gist with a 'g' :soccer:

Who gives a toss?
Like i said, it's really not needed all this constant picking up on spelling and grammar.
Mine is not bad. I sometimes post after work though, when i'm tired and make errors but that's normal, i think.
Anyway, who cares? Get over it.

Back on thread and to Bels.
If it hasn't been asked already, what brought you to Russia in the first place? What impressions of Russia did you have before you arrived and how did they change once you had been here a while?

Judge
09-03-2010, 09:10
A few more questions for you Bels..
Have you ever visited other cities/towns in Russia, if so which ones?
If you could vote here in Russia.. who would you vote for between Medvedev or Sir Putin..If neither, who would you like to see running Russia??
Vodka or Cognac?

moscowmail
09-03-2010, 09:10
I'd love to know about you. As I don't know a lot about you. Perhaps you after me?

I go along with me for now. And sorry but I find some other members more amusing to me , than I am.

But very soon it will be somebody else. And I am going to enjoy being on the other side.

Nope, aint gonna happen old chap

moscowmail
09-03-2010, 09:33
I do understand why. I am not stupid as you know very well. I am playing games as usual. It will be somebody else soon. Do you feel you now belong with expat.ru? Or the other doomed side?

It is comments like this and your silly statement re you not making mistakes in grammar that make you a tad annoying old chap, I comment here occasionally when I see something worth commenting about, I suggest, respectfully, you keep to what most people seem to do, i.e. not making stupid posts about the other site, is has a different base of subjects, simple, please remember it was me and TD who originally bought (on behalf of the Russian owner) and started this site on the path to where it was brilliant, if it stayed in the hands of Nick Pilugin then it would be bardak, as it was

Granted the other place does not have so many posts, but it is fairly free of nationalistic crap and tends to have some very good topics, specifically in the political folder, so my friend, grow up a little, some of the posters here are very good, the same over there, some are stupid and irrelevant, this is not wrong, just simply the nature of the beast

Again, your grammar, people have a go at you because you say what a wonderful teacher of English you are, but your grammar really is not up to any standard a teacher of English should be

You can't blame your age or computer

I claim the reverse, I know my grammar is pretty bad, I am actually taking a few lessons to improve on this (and I am English) and my Russian, after being here for 11 years I think it is about time I did, one is never to old to learn something new

I think you show a lot of disrespect often to people here and over there, for example the other place and the founder members, for whatever reason there was a split, but the funny thing is, yes it is rather humorous, the main admins and mods here as well as the long term (and new) members are all still friends with us over there, it seems mainly it is people like your good self who continuously spout incorrect and silly comments to the contrary... why is that? is it because when you left here and went over there you just weren't tolerated as you are here? I don't know, I do remember trying to help you get things going over there but your insulting, patronizing and incorrect statements just made you unlikeable

I personally have nothing against you, in fact you supply me with endless hours of fun, yes, really, I love trying to decipher your posts and your comments, better than suduko

I come here sometimes because expat.ru will always have a place in my heart, the site was made great by the original posters who created a forum where people actually met in real life, I have seen, as a result of this site and the other site, great friendships, jobs, weddings, births, sadly a few deaths, and above all, a sense of fellowship, a community no less. The fact that a second site, which is doing quite well thank you, is still around, after quite some time now, should show that there is always a need for different based forums, we all see and need different things, some people post on both sites for different reasons

In closing, why don't you just simply get off your high horse, accept what happened, as most people have, admit your problems, there is no shame in not knowing Grammar, and smile for goodness sake, life is way to short to be a stick in the mud. Bels, you are who you are and I think you give a lot, just enjoy life man

moscowmail
09-03-2010, 09:42

you two just keep being mean to each other!! /and not just two of you-all those 'contributing' members too!!/
get over it!
it's not worth it.

to Bels: just keep on writing/posting! no matter what! this forum needs you. you are intelligent and smart and you're one of the few on this forum who really cares /though I can tell the same about Willy/!

even though I don't know either of you, what I do know is that as a member of this forum I like when Willy replies to a thread and when Bells starts a thread.

and I don't understand why people here are so happy to be mean !? it's so easy to
be mean on the Internet when you know that there's no way you'll ever meet the 'victim'!

I personally don't think that the 'facts' that are being said here by 'Bels-haters' are relevant. not being an English native-speaker myself but as a member of this forum (which is a common combination here=) I can assure you that I don't care if Bels is a English native-speaker and a teacher. What matters here is a) that he has something to say/or to share with us/ and b) I can understand what he's saying! that's all that matters! it's not a linguistic forum-we're here not to judje one's level of English - we're here to share the experience of living in Russia. simple, isn't it?
and the same with Willy-I don't care if sometimes he is too rude. because it's simply irrelevant to his role on this forum!
he always /well, OK, most of the time/ knows what he is saying! he's brilliant in the other way -he's got his own opinion/point of view on every issue and he doesn't know what the word 'compromise' means. I mean in a good way)) so Willy is more like a judge.

and Bels is more like a good sourse of information /if you people don't agree with me than you should prove it not here in this thread by telling us how incompetent Bels is but in all those threads started or led by Bels-отвергай,но предлагай=reject but suggest/.

I personally don't like to be in such an environment where the only purpose of participants is to humiliate/upset/offend/etc. each other. it's just not right and it is depressing. I don't want to be a part of this, neither do the new members of this forum.
I'm sure that all the newbies that come here and see you guys squabbling simply decide to stay away from this place.
and it's not right!!

both they have made something good/helped me at some point. and I know that I can always ask them for advise/help if I need it.
and you know what, I don't know if there is anyone else here besides these two who actually can either help me or give me advise if I need one!

however, I hope you all get the point - this fight is just pointless and what's more-it's destructive to the forum!

Nice post, but you missed one small thing, Bels, yes he does add a lot here and all should be thankful for that, states often he is so very good with grammar, if a Russian reads this and sees his grammatical mistakes, it may confuse

If Bels Didn't spout so often how perfect he was in this then he would be far more respected and 'attacked' far less

He does have a lot to give and gives it well, he is a nice person, he also seems to be an honest and straight guy, just take the shovel from his grammatical hands so he stops that trench digging, then the ribbing (making fun of him) would cease to a mere trickle

Wily, well he is just Wily and he has a pretty wicked (in a good way) sense of humour, must be a musician, they are all aliens anyway :)

But really nice words, thank you

Willy
09-03-2010, 09:54

get over it!
it's not worth it.

and it's not right!!

This girl is wise beyond her years!

Yes you are very right we need to get back to the way it was before when people would say how nice it is here. For me it all started when Bels attacked DJ Biscuit then Zyablik, before that I never talked to Bels. Then I noticed the people who were coming back and the fighting going on more and spreading. Not good, so I'll just go back to ignoring Bels.

Thank you for all the kind things you said about me, you know I've seen your photo and you look very beautiful but the thing that makes you so sexy is your sharp mind and good heart.

Judge
09-03-2010, 09:55

Wise words whizkid. This is what we don't want on this site.We don't want to scare off new members..

Voodoo
09-03-2010, 10:07
I've only recently joined expat.ru and have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the posts here. However, I couldn't not comment on Bel's posts. He claims to be a superb teacher of English and, frankly, as a native speaker I am offended at how writes and how he represents our great Language. For a teacher it is just a pozor! None of this 'bashing' would occur if Bels hadn't gone about what a great teacher of English he is. He is an ambassador of our language for chrissakes!

I also find funny, and sometimes a little distasteful, his sense of entitlement (why aren't I the top poster?, who is this DJ character anyway?), and his arrogant and patronising attitude (I am so intelligent, good looking, best teacher around, 'I never make grammar mistakes'). To go on banging about it is just disrespectful and insulting to others on here.

Bels is on a publicly available forum so what he says is scrutnised and he should be able to accept criticism as well as praise.

And finally, who knows, perhaps these comments might help to become a better writer and teacher of English.

Gypsy
09-03-2010, 10:29

Bels your grammar is shockingly poor: not just for a teacher of English but as a native english speaker.

You routinely confuse 'their', 'there' and 'they're' and your continued erroneous use of 'of which' and 'of who' is embarrassing.

For example, Post 13 of this thread:
"I am now on the hot seat now. I hope other known members will also take this hotseat of which I am taking now as the first example.

Bels that is rubbish, but it is typical.

Nobbynumbnuts
09-03-2010, 10:36
It is comments like this and your silly statement re you not making mistakes in grammar that make you a tad annoying old chap, I comment here occasionally when I see something worth commenting about, I suggest, respectfully, you keep to what most people seem to do, i.e. not making stupid posts about the other site, is has a different base of subjects, simple, please remember it was me and TD who originally bought (on behalf of the Russian owner) and started this site on the path to where it was brilliant, if it stayed in the hands of Nick Pilugin then it would be bardak, as it was

Granted the other place does not have so many posts, but it is fairly free of nationalistic crap and tends to have some very good topics, specifically in the political folder, so my friend, grow up a little, some of the posters here are very good, the same over there, some are stupid and irrelevant, this is not wrong, just simply the nature of the beast

Again, your grammar, people have a go at you because you say what a wonderful teacher of English you are, but your grammar really is not up to any standard a teacher of English should be

You can't blame your age or computer

I claim the reverse, I know my grammar is pretty bad, I am actually taking a few lessons to improve on this (and I am English) and my Russian, after being here for 11 years I think it is about time I did, one is never to old to learn something new

I think you show a lot of disrespect often to people here and over there, for example the other place and the founder members, for whatever reason there was a split, but the funny thing is, yes it is rather humorous, the main admins and mods here as well as the long term (and new) members are all still friends with us over there, it seems mainly it is people like your good self who continuously spout incorrect and silly comments to the contrary... why is that? is it because when you left here and went over there you just weren't tolerated as you are here? I don't know, I do remember trying to help you get things going over there but your insulting, patronizing and incorrect statements just made you unlikeable

I personally have nothing against you, in fact you supply me with endless hours of fun, yes, really, I love trying to decipher your posts and your comments, better than suduko

I come here sometimes because expat.ru will always have a place in my heart, the site was made great by the original posters who created a forum where people actually met in real life, I have seen, as a result of this site and the other site, great friendships, jobs, weddings, births, sadly a few deaths, and above all, a sense of fellowship, a community no less. The fact that a second site, which is doing quite well thank you, is still around, after quite some time now, should show that there is always a need for different based forums, we all see and need different things, some people post on both sites for different reasons

In closing, why don't you just simply get off your high horse, accept what happened, as most people have, admit your problems, there is no shame in not knowing Grammar, and smile for goodness sake, life is way to short to be a stick in the mud. Bels, you are who you are and I think you give a lot, just enjoy life man

Seems to me some people are determind to stay off thread and turn this into 'a bash Bels thread'. Shame really because it should and still could be quite the opposite.
i've never seen Bels saying he's a wonderful teacher. Not until that is certain people have started banging on unreasonably about his grammar.
Forget the spelling and grammar. Why the fixation?
Why should anyone be forced to admit anything? And by who?

Bels, looking forward to you answering the questions.

Nobbynumbnuts
09-03-2010, 10:37
Bels your grammar is shockingly poor: not just for a teacher of English but as a native english speaker.

You routinely confuse 'their', 'there' and 'they're' and your continued erroneous use of 'of which' and 'of who' is embarrassing.

For example, Post 13 of this thread:

Bels that is rubbish, but it is typical.

So what?

Judge
09-03-2010, 10:40
You're right Nobby... Seems to me some people want to ruin this thread and this new section...

whizkid
09-03-2010, 10:41
agree with Nobby!!!

get over it!

what's the point in squabbling? what's the purpose of telling how poor Bels' grammar is?
do you really expect your comments to change Bels or to stop him from posting?
I doon't think so))
even if he's a bad teacher - he's convinced he's great and you can't change it!!
if you don't like him just ignore him! or correct his mistakes if you find it's so offensive!

Get over!!!!

Gypsy
09-03-2010, 10:43
So what?

So what?
You cannot be serious!
He holds himself out to be an expert, an English teacher.
If Russians copy his speech they will be laughed at.

If he did not continually advertise that he is a teacher no one would care.

I am sorry but it matters - a teacher of English should not make mistakes in spelling, punctuation or grammar, and their posts should be clear and easy to understand.

Matt24
09-03-2010, 10:58
Does that mean you will be on the hot seat after me?

JD,

following in your bum-print would be an honour indeed, however I think there are a good few thousand real members to be toasted before the hot seat warms the buttocks of us low end posters.

Best regard

Matt

Nobbynumbnuts
09-03-2010, 10:59
So what?
You cannot be serious!
He holds himself out to be an expert, an English teacher.
If Russians copy his speech they will be laughed at.

If he did not continually advertise that he is a teacher no one would care.

I am sorry but it matters - a teacher of English should not make mistakes in spelling, punctuation or grammar, and their posts should be clear and easy to understand.

What the hell has it got to do with you or anyone else what he does? Is that your business? Does he charge you for lessons?
Like i said before, i never saw him proclaiming he was a great English teacher before people started having a go at him.
Who made you the English teacher police anyway?
You and others have managed to hijack this thread, you've made your point,
Perhaps it's now time to let it go.

whizkid
09-03-2010, 11:03
Gypsy,
I know what you mean but come on, do you really expect your comments to change Bels?

everyone now knows that some folks here don't like Bels and think that he should show off less and he's a crappy teacher!
OK, we get it!
now
Get over!!!

Judge
09-03-2010, 11:19
Gypsy,
I know what you mean but come on, do you really expect your comments to change Bels?

everyone now knows that some folks here don't like Bels and think that he should show off less and he's a crappy teacher!
OK, we get it!
now
Get over!!!

You're right again Kid,nothing is going to change Bels..All this Bels bashing has been going on for a few years now..Fair play to Bels, he's been a good sport in this thread..

shurale
09-03-2010, 11:25
Ok, maybe Bels has this fixation with grammar, so what?
Many people have some fixation, somebody talks about sex too much, another can go on non-stop about soccer, and it doesn't matter if people around him don't give a rat's arse about the bloody game.
I find it ok that Bels has thing thing about grammar. Ain't no anal fixation.
Is his grammar imperfect and he is a teacher? Well, I hold the opinion that a teacher must speak perfect English during his/her lesson. Or when a translator is doing his/her job, he must take care and get the grammar as perfect as possible. A proofreader must take utmost care and correct all mistakes.
In a forum when people are in a hurry, and write after work or during a work break, does it matter if a teacher missed an indefinite article?

shurale
09-03-2010, 11:37
I wonder if Pushkin made grammar mistakes in his drafts? I'm not a Pushkinolog (Pushkinologist???), but he probably did. And Sir Doyle probably made some mistakes when he wrote quickly and was more concerned with the story. Who cares about that? I like Sherlock Holmes.
====
Bels, what is your favorite textbook? (English language I mean)
Bels, tell us more about your Navy years.
Bels, since we mentioned Braveheart, when will Scottland gain its independence?
Bels, do you speak Scottish Gaelic?
Bels, do you like haggis? Do you cook it or your wife does?
Bels, are you good at playing bagpipes?
Bels, what is your favorite poem of Robert Burns?
Bels, what modern Scottish writer(s) would you recommend to Russian readers besides I. Welsh?
Bels, when was the last time you visited your birthplace?
Bels, what do you tell your students about Scottland?

tvadim133
09-03-2010, 11:42
To be very honest, I agree with you, Surale.

Besides, I think, Bels can show he is a good teacher, if he feels confident in what he is doing indeed. Why not?

Members here are not collegues of him or managers.

Grammar mistakes,,,,, well, in the forum it is not an obvious sign which can tell you, if he is not or he is a brillian teacher, actually.

In profesional life we are a bit different then in real lives, forums, in bed and so on.

I am sure of it.

People are different here, some of them can be liked, some can be disliked and even hated.

But it is not a reason to send them to a court like this thread.

First I think, the thread is created for an entertaiment purpose or like a game, but now it becomes more and more offensive, to my mind.

Bels!

At least, the opinions of others in the forum wil not provide you with more incomes or losses.

As russians can say "мнения на бутерброд не намажешь" ("opinions can not be put on your sandwich").

Be happy and confident!

xSnoofovich
09-03-2010, 12:17
What was your first impression of the Russian countryside?

FlakeySnowballer
09-03-2010, 13:15
Ok, maybe Bels has this fixation with grammar, so what?
Many people have some fixation, somebody talks about sex too much, another can go on non-stop about soccer, and it doesn't matter if people around him don't give a rat's arse about the bloody game.
I find it ok that Bels has thing thing about grammar. Ain't no anal fixation.
Is his grammar imperfect and he is a teacher? Well, I hold the opinion that a teacher must speak perfect English during his/her lesson. Or when a translator is doing his/her job, he must take care and get the grammar as perfect as possible. A proofreader must take utmost care and correct all mistakes.
In a forum when people are in a hurry, and write after work or during a work break, does it matter if a teacher missed an indefinite article?

the second robust post about the grammar :)

dontcallme
09-03-2010, 13:55
OK I'm confused. I thought The Hot Seat was a section for somebody to allow others to ask questions about themselves and find out a bit about them. I didn't realise it was a discussion forum about our opinions about someones character.

If my first assumption is correct:

What do you consider to be the best textbooks for children?
How often do you think a young child needs to be taught to make any genuine progression?
Have you taught anywhere else?
What's the most rewarding thing about living in Russia?
What's been the most difficult thing about settling in here?
Do you ever miss the UK?

If the second part is correct:

Bels I really appreciate your enthusiasm when using this site. I like the fact that you are an active member and how you are helping the teacher forum to improve. I don't always understand your posts but I'd rather debate with someone who is nice and helpful than someone who always makes snide comments.

shurale
09-03-2010, 14:12
Bel, please tell something about your teaching methods.
How do you make your students speak only English?
Do you use "Russians knots" on them?

nbogaard
09-03-2010, 15:06

Where are you originally from in the UK? B/T/W You asked who destroyed the thread. I am fairly new at this and don't understand the statement. What do you mean by "destroyed the thread?" And why must that person have been out of his mind and why must it have been a native English speaker?

nbogaard
09-03-2010, 15:34
I notice the grammatical mistakes in Bels' postings but I should say that I almost never proofread my own postings either. I am much more interested in Bels' thoughts and experiences. I like it very much that Bels likes to get into discussions and freely gives his best advice. Why would I care about "of whom" or "of which?" I am much more conscious of my own, very poor, punctuation in my own language, also English. Wher does that damn comma go????

nbogaard
09-03-2010, 15:35
Wher does that damn comma go????

THERE! No proofreading!

TD
09-03-2010, 18:06
Obviously we all have opinions about our dear Bels...

The topic of this forum is questions and answers - not discussing the (perceived) shortcomings of the person on the hotseat. Going forward, please play nice and keep things amicable.

Bels - as you seem to have figured out already, just keep answering the questions you feel comfortable with and ignore the rest.

shurale
09-03-2010, 19:26
Bels, do you consider it ethical for a teacher to have sex with his/her students?
(IMO, it is a totally legitimate question)

xSnoofovich
09-03-2010, 22:42
Bels, do you consider it ethical for a teacher to have sex with his/her students?

You are an annoying little c***, aren't you....

Bels
09-03-2010, 23:28

Yes I think it is seriously wrong, and could be be very very damaging to a happy marriage. Teachers have rules, and they must follow them strictly. I hope we are talking about adult students. And yes ethically it is a big NO!

You can always find your fun outside the classroom, and very easily by the way. Teachers , don' get yourself into such an embarrassing situation. Believe me others will find out.

Bels
09-03-2010, 23:35
Bel, please tell something about your teaching methods.
How do you make your students speak only English?
Do you use "Russians knots" on them?

Believe me it works. There are a lot of people who don't believe im me. That you can actually teach pure beginners English, in fact they are the best when they start going to learn English in state. They begin to realise that the state school methods are useless, and the state school teachers can't cope with my students fluency in English. And they are only ten years old. as I taught them from five.Intermediate level at least. How can they cope. And here they are studying crappy state school material.

Bels
09-03-2010, 23:36
Who are you?

I'm Bels. Who are you?

Bels
09-03-2010, 23:40

Thankyou Moscowmail. As I have now placed you as the next hotseat. My privelidge, and of course you can run away if you wish. Or accept the challenge,

moscowmail
10-03-2010, 10:39
Thankyou Moscowmail. As I have now placed you as the next hotseat. My privelidge, and of course you can run away if you wish. Or accept the challenge,

Did you not read my reply to you some time ago....

I believe it was

Nope, aint gonna happen

And your silly attempts at baiting me will never work old bean

shurale
10-03-2010, 11:30
Yes I think it is seriously wrong, and could be be very very damaging to a happy marriage. Teachers have rules, and they must follow them strictly. I hope we are talking about adult students. And yes ethically it is a big NO!

You can always find your fun outside the classroom, and very easily by the way. Teachers , don' get yourself into such an embarrassing situation. Believe me others will find out.

Some teachers told me they do. have. sex. with their adult students.
If you are single and she is single, and the chemistry works, then it is not a problem.

MissAnnElk
10-03-2010, 13:00
Some teachers told me they do. have. sex. with their adult students.
If you are single and she is single, and the chemistry works, then it is not a problem.

I met a boyfriend that way. In college a million years ago . . . I made him wait until I had turned in the final grades . . . (I was the teacher and he was the student). He asked me out.

J.D.
10-03-2010, 15:23
If it's a non-credit type course I don't see a big problem, other than you will loose a paying student. They may continue to take classes but the paying part will probably stop.

shurale
10-03-2010, 18:37
If it's a non-credit type course I don't see a big problem, other than you will loose a paying student. They may continue to take classes but the paying part will probably stop.

This probably makes me wonder.
I presume I could have sex with my student (if she seduced me).
I don't know how I could take payment from her and continue teaching her.
I would be like a gigolo. Either the female student becomes your lover after this (then it is up to you if you want to instruct her for free or not). Or you don't see her at all after the passionate one-night stand. And ofc you need to find another paying student.
Or if you accept the payment of after the sex, then perhaps you should requalify. And become a full-time gigolo :evilgrin:
Well, if a teacher has sex with his/her student, I suppose it is not just because of sex. I guess there is some psychological need of the teacher and/ or student.

xSnoofovich
10-03-2010, 18:50
I guess there is some psychological need of the teacher and/ or student.

Or physical !

shurale
10-03-2010, 21:27
Or physical !

If we don't speak about prostitution and sex workers, then psychological besides physical.

Bels
10-03-2010, 22:16

I am not picking on you honestly. However this constant mistake throughout the internet from yes native English native speakers also, so not only you. annoys me. You lose a paying student, You loosen kknot from a knot, Or you you let loose of the rope. Loose is loose, and lose is lose as in lost. Loosen is in as as loosened the rope. Both verbs have a complete different meaning.

Bels
10-03-2010, 22:20
I say again. There should be professional rules. No sex with your students. In doing will get you into serious trouble.

By all means enjoy yourself in your separate social. Protect yourselves.

This probably makes me wonder.
I presume I could have sex with my student (if she seduced me).
I don't know how I could take payment from her and continue teaching her.
I would be like a gigolo. Either the female student becomes your lover after this (then it is up to you if you want to instruct her for free or not). Or you don't see her at all after the passionate one-night stand. And ofc you need to find another paying student.
Or if you accept the payment of after the sex, then perhaps you should requalify. And become a full-time gigolo :evilgrin:
Well, if a teacher has sex with his/her student, I suppose it is not just because of sex. I guess there is some psychological need of the teacher and/ or student.

Bels
10-03-2010, 22:25
I am not picking on you honestly. However this constant mistake throughout the internet from yes native English native speakers also, so not only you. annoys me. You lose a paying student, You loosen a knot from a knot, Or you you let loose of the rope. Loose is loose, and lose is lose as in lost. Loosen is in as as loosened the rope. Both verbs have a complete different meaning.

Avery common mistake by both natives and not non natives. But for native English native to make such a mistake, for me it would be considered illiterate.

shurale
10-03-2010, 22:33
Avery common mistake by both natives and not non natives. But for native English native to make such a mistake, for me it would be considered illiterate.
-------------
A loose woman. A loose female teacher. Btw, they never write a loose man.
However, it could be a typo. Liike thiss.
Thank you for your advice about asexual, professional behaviour, dear Bels, when I see your American/British collegues in my chess club, I will convey it to them.

shurale
10-03-2010, 22:35
Since Bels is still in the hot seat, tell us pls more about your professional ethics.

Bels
10-03-2010, 22:43
Will a please help?

Did you not read my reply to you some time ago....

I believe it was

And your silly attempts at baiting me will never work old bean

Bels
10-03-2010, 22:45
Since Bels is still in the hot seat, tell us pls more about your professional ethics.

Please be more specific, as I have already been clear about my ethics. Specific questions only please. Ethics is a massive world. Please break you you questions in to fine detail, as I have no desire to write a complete blog. Bits and pieces please.

shurale
10-03-2010, 22:50
Please be more specific, as I have already been clear about my ethics. Specific questions only please. Ethics is a massive world. Please break you you questions in to fine detail, as I have no desire to write a complete blog. Bits and pieces please.

Please Bels, have you read O. Henry?

Bels
10-03-2010, 22:53
Who on earth is he. Does he deserve recognition. Or do I deserve more recognition? I can't see a Henry in this thread. Who is Henry. Hello Henry. Where are you?

Please Bels, have you read O. Henry?

tvadim133
10-03-2010, 22:59
Who on earth is he. Does he deserve recognition. Or do I deserve more recognition?

My GOD!

Bels, please, I am sure, you are kidding!

O.Henry is a well known american writer.

http://www.online-literature.com/o_henry/

MissAnnElk
10-03-2010, 23:02
You beat me to it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._Henry

Gift of the Magi, anyone????
The Gift of the Magi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He spent time in the Ohio Penitentiary in my hometown.

But back to the questions:

Bels: Who is your favorite author?

shurale
10-03-2010, 23:05
Who on earth is he. Does he deserve recognition. Or do I deserve more recognition? I can't see a Henry in this thread. Who is Henry. Hello Henry. Where are you?

Bels, I know that you were joking, pretending your ignorance.

In any case, I hope you have read Shearing The Wolf
http://www.readbookonline.net/readOnLine/1823/

In about half an hour Andy spoke again. I think there are times when Andy don't exactly understand my system of ethics and moral hygiene.

"'Jeff,' says he, 'some time when you have the leisure I wish you'd draw off a diagram and foot-notes of that conscience of yours. I'd like to have it to refer to occasionally.'"
=====
Do you teach any advanced level students, dear Bels?
What do you discuss with them besides the rules of English grammar?
Poems of Robert Burns? Btw, which one is your favorite?

Bels
10-03-2010, 23:14
Who cares, and I am not even bothered to read it. If you wish to talk specifically here, without introducicicing a dear Henry, or a dear Lucy by al means do so so. But they they won't get fame by me here.

Back to Moscowmail refusing the hotseat. And PM'ds required to ask and accept. I didn't get a PM for this, as I bravely accepted it openly. As after all it is a forum. And My request was for Moscowmail. He can openly decline or accept.

Otherwise I will ask another, if he doesn't want to part of this forum. The request should be open for all members to see acceptance or refusal. NO PM,s

Of course we can discuss by PM, as that is obviously hapening, and my recollection from PM is that PM is not required. Simply open a new thread requesting the name of whom should be on the hotseat.

However the minimum of a week being on the hotseat is acceptible, as that makes sense.

You beat me to it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._Henry

Gift of the Magi, anyone????
The Gift of the Magi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gift_of_the_Magi)

He spent time in the Ohio Penitentiary in my hometown.

But back to the questions:

Bels: Who is your favorite author?

MissAnnElk
10-03-2010, 23:30
It's okay to PM someone to see if they are available to be in the hot seat, I think . . . if you have a busy week coming up or a visa run or travel, one might not really have time.

But we can work that out as we go . . .

How about more (friendly) questions for Bels:

Do you have any pets?
Where would you prefer to take a vacation: beach or mountains?
Is there someone from your youth who you consider a mentor or role model?

Bels
10-03-2010, 23:56
I have a cat and a dog, both found abondoned in the state where I live. My wife has something for poor you ng animals abandoned, and is always spending her time trying to find homes for other poor cats and dogs.

I love beach , sun, dachas, and gardens, I love countryside andd forests. I love the wild life, and that is why we live on the west , just outside of Moscow. I only like cities as part of a necessity, therefore I need to be near a city, and have the best of both worlds.

It's okay to PM someone to see if they are available to be in the hot seat, I think . . . if you have a busy week coming up or a visa run or travel, one might not really have time.

But we can work that out as we go . . .

How about more (friendly) questions for Bels:

Do you have any pets?
Where would you prefer to take a vacation: beach or mountains?
Is there someone from your youth who you consider a mentor or role model?

tvadim133
10-03-2010, 23:59
What do you like to do after your lessons (and the forum)?

What are you fond of?

Bels
10-03-2010, 23:59
Well maybe if you know me as a poster here, you wil know that if I didn't know something I would want to google and find it , as I have done often. But sometimes giving fame to another is not worth the bother. Yes! I seek knowledge, but not in this case.

Do I know Sean Connery? Yes I do. But so what?

Bels, I know that you were joking, pretending your ignorance.

In any case, I hope you have read Shearing The Wolf
http://www.readbookonline.net/readOnLine/1823/

In about half an hour Andy spoke again. I think there are times when Andy don't exactly understand my system of ethics and moral hygiene.

"'Jeff,' says he, 'some time when you have the leisure I wish you'd draw off a diagram and foot-notes of that conscience of yours. I'd like to have it to refer to occasionally.'"
=====
Do you teach any advanced level students, dear Bels?
What do you discuss with them besides the rules of English grammar?
Poems of Robert Burns? Btw, which one is your favorite?

Bels
11-03-2010, 00:06
What do you like to do after your lessons (and the forum)?

What are you fond of?

Spend time with my children and my wife. I really do enjoy spending time with my very cute three year old boy. I must admit I spend a lot of time watching my favourite English speaking TV programmes on the internet. And in between watching , yes I have a look at expat.ru. In the summer I spand time gardening and barbequuies in our plot of land. We hope to build a house there one day. But get this damn permanent residency out of the way first, so that we can feel more secure.Russian Redtape is our killer as a family. It is costly and time consuming.

shurale
11-03-2010, 00:09
Well maybe if you know me as a poster here, you wil know that if I didn't know something I would want to google and find it , as I have done often. But sometimes giving fame to another is not worth the bother. Yes! I seek knowledge, but not in this case.

Do I know Sean Connery? Yes I do. But so what?

If Bels doesn't know O. Henry, he doesn't deserve being in the hot seat!
Kidding. I assume Bels simply doesn't care for classical literature.
How about modern literature? Or films? What is the last good film have you seen?
Who is (are) your favorite artist(s)?
What music do you like to listen when you drive?
Do you sing in a shower? (Sorry, this question they like to use in classrooms)
Can you cook haggis?
I know you were born in Scottland.... Do you consider yourself Scottish or English?

Bels
11-03-2010, 00:24
I consider myself British, as I have always argued. I was born in Scotland and still love it, but was taken to England at the age of five, I love the whole of Britain, and believe we should remain united. The United kingdom, and I love the UNion Jack, and it should never disappear. I don't ever want to hear about little England being alone,we need our historical British flag. So I consider myself British.

On TV I have recently enjyed Lost, Being Human, The Survivors, Law and Order-UK, Spartacus, and Merlin. I love legends , history and cultural films.

Sherlock holmes, most versions, Avater, Star Trek films, and many others.

Music I tend to go for oldies, Paul Mcartney, The Wings, Queen, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, etc

If Bels doesn't know O. Henry, he doesn't deserve being in the hot seat!
Kidding. I assume Bels simply doesn't care for classical literature.
How about modern literature? Or films? What is the last good film have you seen?
Who is (are) your favorite artist(s)?
What music do you like to listen when you drive?
Do you sing in a shower? (Sorry, this question they like to use in classrooms)
Can you cook haggis?
I know you were born in Scottland.... Do you consider yourself Scottish or English?

FlakeySnowballer
11-03-2010, 00:54

Our teacher from the university dated with a first course student and after that she become a mother but otherwise he didn't divorce with his wife. So he had two wives after that.

xSnoofovich
11-03-2010, 01:08
Our teacher from the university dated with a first course student and after that she become a mother but otherwise he didn't divorce with his wife. So he had two wives after that.

That is pretty crazy, since a first year student is what - 16, or maybe 17? And * HE * is already married........

J.D.
11-03-2010, 06:15
I am not picking on you honestly. However this constant mistake throughout the internet from yes native English native speakers also, so not only you. annoys me. You lose a paying student, You loosen kknot from a knot, Or you you let loose of the rope. Loose is loose, and lose is lose as in lost. Loosen is in as as loosened the rope. Both verbs have a complete different meaning.

To say "the pot calling the kettle black" would be an extreme understatement here. Bels, of your thousands of posts you have not made one that is grammatically correct. The especially entertaining ones are those that you claim to know grammar so well but still make mistakes in the saying of it.
"You loosen kknot from a knot" What the hell does that mean. Ok, I know what it means given the overall context here but it also means you write like an imbecil.

"Loose is loose" Yeah, you are a hell of a teacher.

But to give credit where credit is due, yes, you have actually (finally) correctly corrected a mistake, sort of.

Since you claim to be a teacher, I might add 'physician heal thyself', but I think that would be giving you too much credit.

TD
11-03-2010, 07:03
To say "the pot calling the kettle black" would be an extreme understatement here.

We have now, I believe, firmly established the fact that Bels does exhibit spelling and grammatical inconsistencies in his posts.

:11513:

So please lets get back to Q & A :-)

J.D.
11-03-2010, 07:53
It was clearly an appropriate response to his post.

But back to the spirit of this new forum

Bels have you worked in any other fields here in Russia?

trebor
11-03-2010, 08:01
We have now, I believe, firmly established the fact that Bels does exhibit spelling and grammatical inconsistencies in his posts.

:11513:

So please lets get back to Q & A :-)

:idea:
Hallelujah!

moscowmail
11-03-2010, 15:20
Who cares, and I am not even bothered to read it. If you wish to talk specifically here, without introducicicing a dear Henry, or a dear Lucy by al means do so so. But they they won't get fame by me here.

Back to Moscowmail refusing the hotseat. And PM'ds required to ask and accept. I didn't get a PM for this, as I bravely accepted it openly. As after all it is a forum. And My request was for Moscowmail. He can openly decline or accept.

Otherwise I will ask another, if he doesn't want to part of this forum. The request should be open for all members to see acceptance or refusal. NO PM,s

Of course we can discuss by PM, as that is obviously hapening, and my recollection from PM is that PM is not required. Simply open a new thread requesting the name of whom should be on the hotseat.

However the minimum of a week being on the hotseat is acceptible, as that makes sense.

I have openly declined, several times

Again, no thank you

AndreyS
11-03-2010, 15:28
Why not appoint the next person to the hot seat by admins decision?
So that appointed people couldn't refuse the offer. ;-)

Moskauerin
11-03-2010, 16:53
Please help me with this one. I am desperate to find it out (not for myself, but another person who is very curious to know). I promised, so please help me.

BTW: the one with John 11:35 was really good.

Judge
11-03-2010, 17:35
Please help me with this one. I am desperate to find it out (not for myself, but another person who is very curious to know). I promised, so please help me.

BTW: the one with John 11:35 was really good.

It's to do with the 10 code signal.It's alot eaiser to talk in code.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten-code

Here's the full list..
http://www.coralsprings.com/scanner/codes.htm

Check out this cool song,it's from an even cooler film.

Show your friend this song..
You ever seen a duck that can't swim???
YouTube- C.W. McCall - Convoy

Larry Paradine
11-03-2010, 19:37
Our damn dog woke me up at 2am this morning demanding to be taken outdoors urgently and, after that, I couldn't get back to sleep again, so I clicked on this thread and started reading BELS's exquisitely dreadful prose, but had to stop when my wife complained that my hysterical laughter was keeping her awake and probably the neighbours too. I've learned one thing that throws light on something that's mystified me for a long time, namely how anyone who distorts the English language as much as BELS can claim to be a native English speaker. He's Scottish. If he's from northwestern Scotland, his native language, or at any rate his ancestral native language, is Gaelic and his idiosyncratic syntax is probably the result of unconscious blending of English words and Gaelic grammar (you'll detect the same tendency in English speaking Irish people from the Gaeltacht). If he's from the lowlands, his native tongue is Scots (and that's nothing to be ashamed of, it was the language of Rabbie Burns himself): Scots is closely related to Anglo-Saxon and this would explain why Bels communicates in something that has similarities to English, but isn't English. Let us be thankful he doesn't break into verse: I imagine the result would be closer to the poetic endeavours of another of his fellow countrymen, William McGonagall, than to Burns' sublime muse.

dontcallme
11-03-2010, 22:07
Our damn dog woke me up at 2am this morning demanding to be taken outdoors urgently and, after that, I couldn't get back to sleep again, so I clicked on this thread and started reading BELS's exquisitely dreadful prose, but had to stop when my wife complained that my hysterical laughter was keeping her awake and probably the neighbours too. I've learned one thing that throws light on something that's mystified me for a long time, namely how anyone who distorts the English language as much as BELS can claim to be a native English speaker. He's Scottish. If he's from northwestern Scotland, his native language, or at any rate his ancestral native language, is Gaelic and his idiosyncratic syntax is probably the result of unconscious blending of English words and Gaelic grammar (you'll detect the same tendency in English speaking Irish people from the Gaeltacht). If he's from the lowlands, his native tongue is Scots (and that's nothing to be ashamed of, it was the language of Rabbie Burns himself): Scots is closely related to Anglo-Saxon and this would explain why Bels communicates in something that has similarities to English, but isn't English. Let us be thankful he doesn't break into verse: I imagine the result would be closer to the poetic endeavours of another of his fellow countrymen, William McGonagall, than to Burns' sublime muse.

I think the Mods have made clear on several occasions that this forum is for putting a member in a position to answer questions that other members want answered. It's not the place for attacking someones character or intelligence.

Swordfish90293
11-03-2010, 22:47
To say "the pot calling the kettle black" would be an extreme understatement here. Bels, of your thousands of posts you have not made one that is grammatically correct. The especially entertaining ones are those that you claim to know grammar so well but still make mistakes in the saying of it.
"You loosen kknot from a knot" What the hell does that mean. Ok, I know what it means given the overall context here but it also means you write like an imbecil.

But to give credit where credit is due, yes, you have actually (finally) correctly corrected a mistake, sort of.

Since you claim to be a teacher, I might add 'physician heal thyself', but I think that would be giving you too much credit.

I believe it's "the sove calling the kettle black..."

nbogaard
12-03-2010, 03:43
I believe it's "the sove calling the kettle black..."

I have always heard, 'the pot calling the kettle black.'

nbogaard
12-03-2010, 03:44
Why not appoint the next person to the hot seat by admins decision?
So that appointed people couldn't refuse the offer. ;-)

Whatever do you mean, "...couldn't refuse the offer." The penalty for refusal is what?

Kraven Morehead
12-03-2010, 03:55
The cold seat

Larry Paradine
12-03-2010, 14:41
I think the Mods have made clear on several occasions that this forum is for putting a member in a position to answer questions that other members want answered. It's not the place for attacking someones character or intelligence.

I think the Mods would agree with me that nowhere in my post have I attacked Bels' character or intelligence; those are things that can only be judged by personal acquaintance with the member concerned, and I haven't had the honour of meeting Bels in person (but I can remember at least one occasion when he denigrated another member, in that case by using the same opprobrious term to her that I used to our dog the other morning). For the record, I have actually defended Bels on a couple of occasions when members have made uncomplimentary remarks about him in PMs to me because I give him full credit for the hard work he's put into being a repository of useful information for members about matters as diverse as visas and volunteering. My criticism isn't of the man, who I don't know and therefore can't judge, but of the prosodist.

Bels
12-03-2010, 22:58
1.Favourite textbook is a wide subject. It depends on the level of student, and their age.

3. I believe tha Scotlland has never lost its independance. WHY? Because it has never lost its independance. Scotland joined England due to the fact of England having a Scottish King. It was a Scottish decision, and it was England that lost their idepaendance from that point. Perhaps it is England that should ask for independance, and be no no longer British.

For me I prefer to remain British.

4. Do I speak Scottish Gaelic. No I don't, However due to the fact that we in Scotland mix a bit of scottish language in speaking English language I know a bit.

No I don't like Hagiss, but everyone who visits Scotland must try it and find out.

Play bagpipes. I probably couldn't even blow them. Do I love the sound? Yes I do, as long as they are at plying them.

Bels, what do you tell your students about Scottland? First of all them that there is only one T in Scotland. Secondly I stat that that my nationality is Scottish. And Scotch is related to food or other products. And that the only whisky in the world is Scotch. Or is it Whiskey. Start googling.

I wonder if Pushkin made grammar mistakes in his drafts? I'm not a Pushkinolog (Pushkinologist???), but he probably did. And Sir Doyle probably made some mistakes when he wrote quickly and was more concerned with the story. Who cares about that? I like Sherlock Holmes.
====
Bels, what is your favorite textbook? (English language I mean)
Bels, tell us more about your Navy years.
Bels, since we mentioned Braveheart, when will Scottland gain its independence?
Bels, do you speak Scottish Gaelic?
Bels, do you like haggis? Do you cook it or your wife does?
Bels, are you good at playing bagpipes?
Bels, what is your favorite poem of Robert Burns?
Bels, what modern Scottish writer(s) would you recommend to Russian readers besides I. Welsh?
Bels, when was the last time you visited your birthplace?
Bels, what do you tell your students about Scottland?

tvadim133
12-03-2010, 23:07
What clan (if it is possible to say) your family belonged to in the past?

Have you ever weared kilts?

Do you teach you kids about the culture and the hystory of Scotland?

Mary Stewart's at least

Bels
12-03-2010, 23:10
Not that it needs questioning. There are many more who need questioning here about how they write, rather than I do.

So he who casts the first stone? I have made some very good posts here, and there is no denial of that. So if we if we all want to strart nick picking on the grammar and spelling on most members here as a forum, then that's your problem. But I won't lower myself to such a standard. You just carry on making a fool of yourelves.

And those of lower intlligence than I am patronising me? LOL!

\

Bels
12-03-2010, 23:33
OK! We have members here who have an interest in other members interests here. And we have members who enjoy debating personally about other members here, however have fear on being persona about their own strengths and weaknesses, if you like to call them weaknesses.

So a new tactic. To chose reasonably active member, who are not squemish about being themselves, and are resonably open here.

I call Dontcallme firstly as being on the hotseat. and if accepted a new thread will be placed. If declined, I will ask another member.

Bels
12-03-2010, 23:42
To tell you the truth, I only give them abrief history and Geography of Scotland. I don't teach them what I believe, I follow the guidelines of the text books they are using, of which will only a brief neutral guideline of Scotland. The English taught is much more generall. And but YES! Mainly based on the English spekers culture, including the USA, England, Wales, Ireland, South America, etc. When learning a language, it should be based on that languages culture.

Have you ever weared kilts? WORN!

I belong to the Stewart clan. A very nice tartan

Do you teach you kids about the culture and the history of Scotland?

Mary Stewart's at least[/QUOTE]

tvadim133
12-03-2010, 23:45
Thank you for your answering and corrections!

Do you have russian friends?

FlakeySnowballer
12-03-2010, 23:49
That is pretty crazy, since a first year student is what - 16, or maybe 17? And * HE * is already married........

Yes i think so. He was 44 and she was 17-18. At least in my first university many teachers dated with young students.

FlakeySnowballer
12-03-2010, 23:52

JD i can't read your posts. Seems to me many guys here got you under their skins because of your prolixity about the using grammar in the forums.

Bels
13-03-2010, 00:06
I can't understand him either, and where he is coming from. In fact I often wonder If he got the phrase Calling the kettle black As the phrase does exist, however I don't see the relevence of his argument. Perhaps he just looked up an English phrase book, and typed it here without rlising what it really meant. And yes this is me talking as genuine native speaker, I don't understand him either.

JD i can't read your posts. Seems to me many guys here got you under their skins because of your prolixity about the using grammar in the forums.

Bels
13-03-2010, 00:10
Thank you for your answering and corrections!

Do you have russian friends?

Many. I live in a village, and with a Russian family. I am also a teacher teaching mainly locals. Due to this I have many friends. And many have helped me and my family in living here as an expat. We need Russians friends.

dontcallme
13-03-2010, 10:53
Not that it needs questioning. There are many more who need questioning here about how they write, rather than I do.

So he who casts the first stone? I have made some very good posts here, and there is no denial of that. So if we if we all want to strart nick picking on the grammar and spelling on most members here as a forum, then that's your problem. But I won't lower myself to such a standard. You just carry on making a fool of yourelves.

And those of lower intlligence than I am patronising me? LOL!

\

OK! We have members here who have an interest in other members interests here. And we have members who enjoy debating personally about other members here, however have fear on being persona about their own strengths and weaknesses, if you like to call them weaknesses.

So a new tactic. To chose reasonably active member, who are not squemish about being themselves, and are resonably open here.

I call Dontcallme firstly as being on the hotseat. and if accepted a new thread will be placed. If declined, I will ask another member.

Your first post seems to be implying that I have called you stupid or think you're stupid. I can assure you that wasn't the case.

I like the idea of the Hot Seat and I think Bels has done a good job of answering questions and not rising to the bait by some on here. I guess a member as well known as Bels can turn the Hot Seat into a discussion rather than a question and answer session.

As I don't impose my character into the forum and I use it more for information than anything so I'm not sure I'll be the most interesting person to be in the Hot Seat. But in the interest of joining in I will accept your challenge of being in the Hot Seat.

nbogaard
13-03-2010, 11:49
Your first post seems to be implying that I have called you stupid or think you're stupid. I can assure you that wasn't the case.

I like the idea of the Hot Seat and I think Bels has done a good job of answering questions and not rising to the bait by some on here. I guess a member as well known as Bels can turn the Hot Seat into a discussion rather than a question and answer session.

As I don't impose my character into the forum and I use it more for information than anything so I'm not sure I'll be the most interesting person to be in the Hot Seat. But in the interest of joining in I will accept your challenge of being in the Hot Seat.

I think it is great. I enjoy this "hot seat" thread. First question: what do you do here in Moscow?

nbogaard
13-03-2010, 11:51
I just realized that this thread will get quite cumbersome unless a new hot seat thread is started for each new subject.

Clean32
13-03-2010, 18:49
Bels Mate some questions for you that may give some insight.

1 How often does a Penguin have sex?
2 How much did KM's dress from her appearance in DrW sell for?
3 Have you had a Vasectomy?
4 How does the auto stabilization system work in the new version of the rocket powered ( thus flying) darleks work?
5 for how long were you a seaman?
6 do you not think its ironic that having moved from the west, that you now live in the western suburbs( i use the word loosely) of Moscow?
7 has your wife let you travel yet? On your own?
8 when shopping and you ask for cleb battion, what is the response?
A the babushka looks at you blankly?
B the babushka starts yelling at all the other kiosk workers?
C the babushka ignores you?
D you are handed a lump of cement?
E you succeed in acquiring some bread?
F non of the above, Ms Bels does the shopping?

Bels
13-03-2010, 22:29
LOL! Toughies some of them. Excuse me for not answering all of the questions.

How often does a penguin have sex? I don't know. Not often I guess.

Have I had a vasectomy? No, and I guess most of us haven't, unless we were Jewish.

How long was I a seaman? About 7 years. And I loved every year of it. I now wish I didn't fall for my first wife, as I woud have been promoted to Purser, I am sure of that, due to the encouragement of my Captains, and going for the further training. I loved the sea, and still do. nd I love visiting other new countries by sea. I still feel very adventourous even now.

Do you not think its ironic that having moved from the west, that you now live in the western suburbs?

Yes I do think it is ironic, and as I said many times efore, although I have travelled the world, the last place I would have chosen would have been Russia. But here I am. Due to love. and my my current wife asking me to visit her in her own country. I already had many visits with her in london, Paris and in my hometown. So I had to do the same. And her I am!

Do I regret being in the western region, no I don't, although it does have some disadvantage as to living in Central Moscow. But I have always hated living in cities. I love forests, rivers and living and enjoying nature. Even in England, I preferred the suburbs.

Has your wife let you travel yet? On your own?
Yes reluctantly when necessary. She is a very nervous and jealous woman. She also fears of my lack of the Russian language. She is a very nervous caring woman, and I must accept her fears. I am trying to pursuade her for us to buy a car, but she has fear of other Russian drivers, even though shows ful well that I can drive very well in London, and am a very experienced driver. I only want to drive around Rublevka, and drive to our plots of land, and build a house. She fears me driving here, but it will happen eventually.

Bels Mate some questions for you that may give some insight.

1 How often does a Penguin have sex?
2 How much did KM's dress from her appearance in DrW sell for?
3 Have you had a Vasectomy?
4 How does the auto stabilization system work in the new version of the rocket powered ( thus flying) darleks work?
5 for how long were you a seaman?
6 do you not think its ironic that having moved from the west, that you now live in the western suburbs( i use the word loosely) of Moscow?
7 has your wife let you travel yet? On your own?8 when shopping and you ask for cleb battion, what is the response?
A the babushka looks at you blankly?
B the babushka starts yelling at all the other kiosk workers?
C the babushka ignores you?
D you are handed a lump of cement?
E you succeed in acquiring some bread?
F non of the above, Ms Bels does the shopping?

Bels
13-03-2010, 22:30
Yes Bels does the shopping somehow.

Matt24
13-03-2010, 22:40
Have I had a vasectomy? No, and I guess most of us haven't, unless we were Jewish.

Oh Tummy Rubbish, I just spewed my coffee over the keyboard, this is classic, all hail the king of comedy!

TD
13-03-2010, 22:53
Thank you Bels for being our first participant here in the new hotseat forum :-)

The torch has now been passed on to dontcallme