PDA

View Full Version : The stingiest experience I've ever had in Russia!

WWu777
09-02-2005, 14:59
The stingiest experience Iíve ever had!

Dear all,
The following definitely takes the cake as the STINGIEST experience Iíve ever had in Russia! One time, when I was in Moscow back from Vilnius, I stood in line at the metro station booth to get a metro card with ten credits, which cost 105 roubles (they raised the prices after New Year). After fishing through my wallet, I came up with 104 roubles. Then, after taking out and counting the kopek coins in my wallet (100 kopeks = 1 rouble) I managed to bring out 98 kopeks, making me just 2 kopeks short of the needed fare. I thought that like some here, the booth lady would let such a small loss go. But she didnít! She sat there and said that I had to put out two more kopeks to complete the transaction. Frustrated and shaking my head in disbelief, I turned around and asked the others waiting in line behind me if they could give me two kopeks, but they shook their heads. Eventually though, I was able to find an extra ten kopek coin in another pocket to complete the transaction.

Anyhow, I could not believe this! And I couldnít wait to write about this either! What an embarrassment to Russia this would be, I thought! Do you know how miniscule a kopek is? One kopek is equivalent to less than 3 percent of ONE PENNY!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!! And this lady would not accept such a loss?!?!?! That makes Scrooge in ďThe Christmas CarolĒ in comparison look like the most giving angel in the world!!!!!! Itís beyond stingy. Itís madness. Not even the poorest person in the world would mind such a miniscule loss, as miniscule as an atom! But this RussianÖÖÖÖ Ooooh Iím speechless.

The thing that gets me is that these people have a common perception here that foreigners, especially Westerners, are greedy and like to count their money. That is the most hypocritical charge in the world, as Russian businesses count the money during transactions to the maximum extreme, as in the above example. Therefore, how could they possibly say that, in light of these examples? They must be either blind, deluded, or in denial. Anyone in the US knows that cashiers typically will let the transaction by if you are short 5 or 10 cents, even up to 25 cents sometimes. But the metro booth lady in Russia wonít even let 0.03 of one cent go by?!?!?! And these people have the gall to say that we count our money?! What the ?!?! Whatever. I guess some people need their delusions to make themselves feel good.

RDV
09-02-2005, 15:04
Oh, no... Not again...

MR FACADE
09-02-2005, 15:05
Originally posted by WWu777

Dear all,
The following definitely takes the cake as the STINGIEST experience Iíve ever had in Russia! One time, when I was in Moscow back from Vilnius, I stood in line at the metro station booth to get a metro card with ten credits, which cost 105 roubles (they raised the prices after New Year). After fishing through my wallet, I came up with 104 roubles. Then, after taking out and counting the kopek coins in my wallet (100 kopeks = 1 rouble) I managed to bring out 98 kopeks, making me just 2 kopeks short of the needed fare. I thought that like some here, the booth lady would let such a small loss go. But she didnít! She sat there and said that I had to put out two more kopeks to complete the transaction. Frustrated and shaking my head in disbelief, I turned around and asked the others waiting in line behind me if they could give me two kopeks, but they shook their heads. Eventually though, I was able to find an extra ten kopek coin in another pocket to complete the transaction.

Anyhow, I could not believe this! And I couldnít wait to write about this either! What an embarrassment to Russia this would be, I thought! Do you know how miniscule a kopek is? One kopek is equivalent to less than 3 percent of ONE PENNY!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!! And this lady would not accept such a loss?!?!?! That makes Scrooge in ďThe Christmas CarolĒ in comparison look like the most giving angel in the world!!!!!! Itís beyond stingy. Itís madness. Not even the poorest person in the world would mind such a miniscule loss, as miniscule as an atom! But this RussianÖÖÖÖ Ooooh Iím speechless.

The thing that gets me is that these people have a common perception here that foreigners, especially Westerners, are greedy and like to count their money. That is the most hypocritical charge in the world, as Russian businesses count the money during transactions to the maximum extreme, as in the above example. Therefore, how could they possibly say that, in light of these examples? They must be either blind, deluded, or in denial. Anyone in the US knows that cashiers typically will let the transaction by if you are short 5 or 10 cents, even up to 25 cents sometimes. But the metro booth lady in Russia wonít even let 0.03 of one cent go by?!?!?! And these people have the gall to say that we count our money?! What the ?!?! Whatever. I guess some people need their delusions to make themselves feel good.

You know my friend, some people are victims and some are not...... I never see stiginess my guess is that you have that look about you, you know what I mean the bloody STINGY look!!!

mitam77
09-02-2005, 15:09
Understand your frustrations ...however remember the ladies at the cash desk get paid to do a job and if all customers come with 3 kopeks less ..the losses can mount to more than her salary ...not to mention that she can lose her job.
Perhaps you could be more understanding and purchase less journeys for the amount of money you had.

RIKO
09-02-2005, 15:26
YAWN ...

corp_fin
09-02-2005, 15:28
Dear Winston,

We at this site find your stories very interesting and entertaining. Some might laugh, but please do not pay attention.

Please, tell us more about your experiences in Russia and Lithuania!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pengwn9
09-02-2005, 15:30
Wu, you've been run off of every talk forum on the planet. You've taken a beating here before for your racist sexist nonsense. When are you going to get the message that your imbecilic posts are unwanted anywhere on the internet?

Now please skulk away and don't come back.

Surok
09-02-2005, 15:32
They must be either blind, deluded, or in denial... I guess some people need their delusions to make themselves feel good.

a home truth: the faults which annoy you in other people are usually faults you have yourself.

'nuff said.

Maine Surfer
09-02-2005, 15:50
Russia is definetely not your country bud, what are you still doing here.

RDV
09-02-2005, 15:51
Originally posted by mitam77
Perhaps you could be more understanding and purchase less journeys for the amount of money you had.

Nah, that would put an end to the whole story. There would be no plot. And this is a carefully crafted one.

preacher of hedonism
09-02-2005, 15:56
WWu777, let me give you a piece of advice, free of charge. Hop on a train/plain to the lovely land of Lithuania and never come back. Russia is not for you. You seem to run in all sort of trouble and humiliations here. Those stingy Russians, how barbaric they are compared to the enlightened Lithuanians. Enough is enough.
And hey, not that we are going to miss you that much...

ronya
09-02-2005, 16:14

Dear all,

you'd better move to Lithuania ...

Sheepy
09-02-2005, 16:26
Yaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwn!!!

RDV
09-02-2005, 16:28
I bet it's some hairy-arse dude who is having a laugh reading all these furious posts in reaction to his well-written posts. Neither of this is true. Not the personality, not the stories. It's too good (I mean the text) to be true.

Am I right?
Or am I right?
Or am I right?

WWu777
09-02-2005, 16:42
Originally posted by preacher of hedonism
WWu777, let me give you a piece of advice, free of charge. Hop on a train/plain to the lovely land of Lithuania and never come back. Russia is not for you. You seem to run in all sort of trouble and humiliations here. Those stingy Russians, how barbaric they are compared to the enlightened Lithuanians. Enough is enough.
And hey, not that we are going to miss you that much...

W: Don't worry, I plan to do that, and also visit Poland as well, before returning to the US to make a fiancee visa for my girlfriend here in Russia.

But anyway, you can't deny that what I said about Russian rudeness and stinginess is all true, right? At least admit that.

WWu777
09-02-2005, 16:44
Originally posted by corp_fin
Dear Winston,

We at this site find your stories very interesting and entertaining. Some might laugh, but please do not pay attention.

Please, tell us more about your experiences in Russia and Lithuania!!!!!!!!!!!!!

W: Thanks for the compliment. But my stories are coming to a close. However, you can read over 200 pages of my stories of this trip on my website by downloading them from it. It has all the updates up to date up to today. The link is www.geocities.com/wwu777us

Shatneresque
09-02-2005, 16:44
Originally posted by Maine Surfer
Russia is definetely not your country bud, what are you still doing here.

Why are you all still reading (and bothering to answer) his posts...?!? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Filimon
09-02-2005, 16:45
W: Don't worry, I plan to do that, and also visit Poland as well, before returning to the US to make a fiancee visa for my girlfriend here in Russia.

But anyway, you can't deny that what I said about Russian rudeness and stinginess is all true, right? At least admit that.

We are not rude, you idiotic narrow-minded racist moron!!!:D

Shatneresque
09-02-2005, 16:47
you can read over 200 pages of my stories of this trip on my website

My God! The mind boggles at the thought...! :sick: :sick: :sick:

Braders
09-02-2005, 16:49

Dear all,

Get over it WWu777.

I was stood in line at the supermarket and when i didn't have the exact change the checkout girl told me i she couldn't complete the transaction, (with a hint of a grin on her spotty face) i couldn't be arsed and told her to keep the 7 Roubles, crisis over, bags packed i went home to eat my grub!

I can't help but feel these posts are windups ;)

trebor
09-02-2005, 16:53
Try getting on the London underground if your a penny short of your fare.
GROW UP :rolleyes:

trebor
09-02-2005, 17:00
Originally posted by Braders
Get over it WWu777.

I was stood in line at the supermarket and when i didn't have the exact change the checkout girl told me i she couldn't complete the transaction, (with a hint of a grin on her spotty face) i couldn't be arsed and told her to keep the 7 Roubles, crisis over, bags packed i went home to eat my grub!

I can't help but feel these posts are windups ;)

Talking of supermarkets!
I went into the one that used to be in the old Moscow hotel a couple of years back. I bought some shopping and asked for an extra bag. I had a lot of other stuff with me. Of course, "het" was the answer so i offered to buy one for 20 rubles. She still wouldn't give me one!
Yeah, thats right. The same ones they are giving away for free :D
C'mon, i love it here!

preacher of hedonism
09-02-2005, 17:04

But anyway, you can't deny that what I said about Russian rudeness and stinginess is all true, right? At least admit that. Russia is different and very diverse. So are her people. You seem to meet only ones that are antagonistic to you. Time to think?

preacher of hedonism
09-02-2005, 17:06
and talking of small change, i have never been asked for 2 kopecks to complete the transaction. never!

Braders
09-02-2005, 17:06
Originally posted by trebor
C'mon, i love it here!

Can't argue with you on that one, sometimes i'm begging for the edgy character behind me in Sber Bank to try a queue jump, the cashier to ask me for 8 roubles to change $100, or Molly Gywnn's to try and add an extra pint to my bill. I must admit too i ruddy love it!

Still occasionally move out of the way when someone's walking straight for me on the pavement though ;)

jchidg1
09-02-2005, 18:09
Will someone fetch me the asp?

yankee@moscow
09-02-2005, 18:22
One time......at band camp.......!

sfjohns67
09-02-2005, 19:31
Originally posted by Shatneresque
Why are you all still reading (and bothering to answer) his posts...?!? :confused: :confused: :confused: Because his posts are at least moderately more interesting and literate than having to wade through and decipher 12 smiley icons in row; because he has something to say other than "you are wrong because I'm against the war and not a Christian...blah blah blah"; because he has got the balls to experience life (albeit more weirdly than my grandma after I pass her the bong) and write about it; and most of all, because he is original where the majority of the rest of you write the...

...SAME....OLD....SH.T!!!

jchidg1
09-02-2005, 19:36
I rather like to think new sh*t actually. The man is an ****. ( Is **** allowed mod?)

No. --Mod :)

Wish1991
09-02-2005, 22:54
Dunno jchidg1...my post about our self-proclaimed Casanova of Post-Communist Crapola got hijacked by the thought police...or Gazprom...whomever moderates this thread.

koba65
10-02-2005, 01:18

Ever rent the movie "The Ugly American"?

zcyka
10-02-2005, 01:58
I had no idea that The Ugly American was available in movie form! I've a copy of the book, though, and have a high regard for it....

(Shameless hijacking.)

koba65
10-02-2005, 02:54
Originally posted by zcyka
I had no idea that The Ugly American was available in movie form! I've a copy of the book, though, and have a high regard for it....

(Shameless hijacking.)

Marlon Brando plays the Ambassador and Pat Hingle plays Homer Atkins.

Book? There was a book?? ;)

ChrisC30
10-02-2005, 05:49
So, Winston, what is the problem? If you knew how much the fare was, why not just have it ready without having to fish through your pockets for it? And even so, what's the deal with Lithuania? Surely you can find such a "stingy" person there if you go looking.

boscoe
10-02-2005, 13:24
Originally posted by Wish1991
Dunno jchidg1...my post about our self-proclaimed Casanova of Post-Communist Crapola got hijacked by the thought police...or Gazprom...whomever moderates this thread.

Gazprom...

kniga
10-02-2005, 14:34
WWu777,

You say, "But anyway, you can't deny that what I said about Russian rudeness and stinginess is all true, right? At least admit that."

No, you fail to realize that you cannot place American standards on Russians. Russians' behavior is different, that's all. And you hands down are the dumbest American tourist I have ever encountered anywhere in the world and I have been everywhere in the world. Congratulations, Mr. American Ambassador of Ill Will!

Keoki
10-02-2005, 15:06
I'm not sure about the Moscow metro, but a lot of cashiers in Russia have to pay the difference when their tills turn up short. Not to mention the lady was probably irritated as hell with you counting out 98 kopecks when she has an almost constant line of people. A kopeck here and a kopeck there can add up after a 12-hour shift.

If you're not on to this yet, cash rules in Russia. Carry some. You don't need a lot, but you should certainly have more than $4 in your pocket, at least in Moscow.

What annoys me is when the cashiers don't have change...

sfjohns67
10-02-2005, 19:03
What annoys me is this incessant rectal itch! I've tried Dr. Scholl's powder (yeah, I know it's for feet, but I'm grasping at straws here!), I've tried the services of three (count em, 3!) different mediums on the Old Arbat, and most dismaying of all, I've tried that tried-and-true approach by sticking my finger up my own a.s, but not a one of the aforementioned seems to work.

Anybody got a cure for painful rectal itch?

Shatneresque
10-02-2005, 19:07
Originally posted by sfjohns67

Try a pickle slathered with mayonnaise---always works for me!

RDV
10-02-2005, 19:45
What annoys me

Nah, not here. But from reading some of the threads here, one can expect to find it in Lithuania :D

silverorange
10-02-2005, 22:10
People like you can be scary as this is them who create and spread stupid prejudices. No matter what people tell them, they are not willing to open their minds and change their hastily made judgements. Thanks God, there are intelligent people on this planet.

silverorange
10-02-2005, 22:13
Oops, posted reply to the wrong thread

silverorange
10-02-2005, 22:18
No, to the right :) Just didn't realize that this thread is so long!

sfjohns67
11-02-2005, 07:35
Let me guess: you consider yourself one of the intelligent ones, right?

pirata
11-02-2005, 13:40
Wwu77,

It just find it funny that, after all this criticism, we happen to aknowledge the fact that you're still in here.
If you simply can't find anything interesting or good about living in Moscow (and believe me, THERE ARE THINGS), then just find yourself another location.
Honestly, i'm sure you didn't get thrown out in Moscow as if you had no choice of where to go. If you moved here, but didn't like? Well, then pack your bags and go to another place.

PS: when buying your ticket to the new place you'll be relocating, make sure to take the exact amount of money... :-))))

ny pogodi
11-02-2005, 13:49
WWu777, I can explain this to you. That could only happen because rules for the cashiers of Metro/SberBank/whatever are really STRICT. They cannot have even one extra kopeyka in the register or be one penny less, they will be punished for that.

If after this situation you can make such conclusions that all Russians are greedy I really feel sorry for you. Thats a typical lack of formal logic.

jchidg1
11-02-2005, 13:53
Smear test - gauranteed to take the mind off rectal itching.

quincy
12-02-2005, 01:34
Originally posted by Keoki
What annoys me is when the cashiers don't have change...

Yep! How convenient for them! As to Winston's post, I am guessing here, but it's just possible Supermarket bosses in the US might allow cashiers to wave small amounts of change as a way of winning the goodwill of customers.

The sight of a well-heeled westerner struggling to find money might even be a source of mild amusement to some poor Russian, Lithuanian or Polish bystanders etc. Put yourself in their shoes

Olim
12-02-2005, 08:33
There is no one stingier in Moscow than some if the expats who earn a relative fortune yet choose to try to spend as little of it as possible. They seem to be eveywhere in Moscow. I have worked work with about 100 different Brits/Irish/Americans during my time in Moscow and at least half of them have been penny-pinching tight arses in the extreme. They are not just stingy with other people, they even deny themselves. I've been inbars/ restaurants with collegues on a Friday evening after work who sit there and eat the cheapest salad from the menu, are the first to get a biro and a napkin out to calculate their portion of the bill when it comes and nurse a pint all evening. I know people who have spent a miserable, lonely Christmas in Moscow, eating their Christmas dinners in McDonalds coz they are too tight to pay for a flight home or a holiday somehwere. The examples are endless. If these people didnt have any money in the first place then its fine to economise- we've all had to do it at some point in our lives. However these people earn enough to at least get a round in.

Keoki
12-02-2005, 10:04
Originally posted by quincy
Yep! How convenient for them! As to Winston's post, I am guessing here, but it's just possible Supermarket bosses in the US might allow cashiers to wave small amounts of change as a way of winning the goodwill of customers.

The sight of a well-heeled westerner struggling to find money might even be a source of mild amusement to some poor Russian, Lithuanian or Polish bystanders etc. Put yourself in their shoes

American cashiers typically receive a certain amount of small change for opening a till, so they have change as soon as business commences. Also, till shortages don't come out of their pay. However, I fail to see why the Moscow metro should worry about the goodwill of their customers. It's not like they have a lot of competition!

mediashark
12-02-2005, 11:57
Dang! How do I use the 'ignore' function in this forum to filter out WWu777?

jheisel
12-02-2005, 12:42
Originally posted by Keoki
American cashiers typically receive a certain amount of small change for opening a till, so they have change as soon as business commences. Also, till shortages don't come out of their pay. However, I fail to see why the Moscow metro should worry about the goodwill of their customers. It's not like they have a lot of competition!

When I was a teenager, I worked retail in smalltown, USA. At the supermarket I worked at, we always started with a few hundred dollars cash in various denominations in change ($1s, $5s, $10s, $20s & coins) and could easily call over a supervisor to get us more change if/when necessary. We were allowed to go +/- $5 on our tills without penalty, but go over that three times and policy was you'd be fired.

At the small record store I worked at, I started with something like $60 or 80 every day in the register, and there was a bank across the parking lot. I would close the store down and walk to the bank to get change if/when necessary.

for what it;s worth and all...

silverorange
13-02-2005, 17:53
Let me guess: you consider yourself one of the intelligent ones, right?

Yes, your guess is right :) But not one of the super intelligent, like you! :) By the way, I enjoyed reading some of your sarcastic posts...

sfjohns67
14-02-2005, 14:24
That's a good sport! I like your sarcasm too...."super intelligent" my cornholed bunny rabbit!

koba65
15-02-2005, 06:53
Originally posted by Olim
There is no one stingier in Moscow than some if the expats who earn a relative fortune yet choose to try to spend as little of it as possible. They seem to be eveywhere in Moscow. I have worked work with about 100 different Brits/Irish/Americans during my time in Moscow and at least half of them have been penny-pinching tight arses in the extreme. They are not just stingy with other people, they even deny themselves. I've been inbars/ restaurants with collegues on a Friday evening after work who sit there and eat the cheapest salad from the menu, are the first to get a biro and a napkin out to calculate their portion of the bill when it comes and nurse a pint all evening. I know people who have spent a miserable, lonely Christmas in Moscow, eating their Christmas dinners in McDonalds coz they are too tight to pay for a flight home or a holiday somehwere. The examples are endless. If these people didnt have any money in the first place then its fine to economise- we've all had to do it at some point in our lives. However these people earn enough to at least get a round in.

Amen to that! I just luv it when these same cheapos start whinging that I'm tipping too much....

Barney_Gumble
15-02-2005, 09:23
can anybody direct me to Wu's website? I am feeling generous and want to send 2 kopeks to his paypal account :p

mediashark
15-02-2005, 10:53
Please send them to me instead... I incurred a large medical bill which explained my disappearance for the first 2 weeks of Feburary.... :( I hate to see 2 kopeks to go W :P

Keoki
23-02-2005, 09:02
Hehe - I just imagined the following post at natives.ru:

Foreigners really are stingy!

Now, I never like to generalize and refer to anyone as "those people," because it's stupid and myopic. I mean, there are 146 million people here in Russia and we're all different, right? So I'd never think that all foreigners love counting their money, not matter how many generalizations a foreigner might make about me.

The other day, however, I was flabbergasted to actually encounter a foreigner that made a fuss about having to pay two kopecks to ride the metro. Two kopecks! That's nothing! The cheapskate actually expected me to pay for him. What gall!

A Moscow metro cashier

ChrisC30
25-02-2005, 02:00
Of course, you have to take Winston's webpage into consideration, where he claims to have been scammed, robbed, and assaulted in Russia, and requires you to help him by sending him your money, despite the fact he has a HUGE work and acting resume, and can't find honest work. ;)

Take anything he says with a grain of salt.

Shatneresque
01-03-2005, 09:57
Originally posted by jchidg1
Smear test - gauranteed to take the mind off rectal itching.
Mayonnaise!

mediashark
01-03-2005, 15:28
Grain of salt?! You'll need the Dead Sea!