PDA

View Full Version : Nutmeg/Mace

DPG
08-02-2005, 23:10
I know that the Russian for Nutmeg is Muskatniy Orekh (and it's available everywhere).

I need some Mace for a recipe though, and every dictionary I have looked in so far says that Mace is also Muskatniy Orekh.

I am aware of the fact that they come from the same plant, but they are different (Mace is 'softer')...that's why there are different names for them...!;-)

Any ideas on the Russian for Mace and where to get it??

Trebor - If a recipe called for 1 tsp of Nutmeg and 1 tsp of Mace, could I get away with 2 tsps of Nutmeg??

Thanks!

trebor
09-02-2005, 04:04
Originally posted by DPG
Trebor - If a recipe called for 1 tsp of Nutmeg and 1 tsp of Mace, could I get away with 2 tsps of Nutmeg??

Thanks!

If your the chef at the "Ivy"............................definately not! :D

Seriously though, depending on what your cooking, probably, but you might find the flavour becomes a little too strong. Try substituting a little under 2 tsps.
Why are you having a hard time finding mace? You should be able to get it fresh at any large rynok.
For those who haven't a clue what were banging on about. Mace is the shell and nutmeg is the nut inside.
Both a grated and added to flavour various dishes.
What are you making? :)

Shatneresque
09-02-2005, 07:29
Originally posted by DPG
I know that the Russian for Nutmeg is Muskatniy Orekh (and it's available everywhere).

I need some Mace for a recipe though, and every dictionary I have looked in so far says that Mace is also Muskatniy Orekh.

I am aware of the fact that they come from the same plant, but they are different (Mace is 'softer')...that's why there are different names for them...!;-)

Any ideas on the Russian for Mace and where to get it??

In my dictionary, mace is listed as both muskatnyi tsvetok (nutmeg blossom or flower) and muskatnyi listok (nutmeg leaf).

Believe we covered this ground in a couple of other posts back in November--December, thereabouts.

You might find it at Stockmann's or Azbuka vkusa; I've never seen it anywhere else. Had to ask a friend to bring me a can from the States.

Benedikt
18-02-2005, 18:57
dgp, your best guess and try with mace would be that vegetarian restaurant in kusnetzky most (who knows the name,help please?) or stores like stockmanns where things are also written in english.
on the other hand, if you have connections or eat at a pakistani restaurant, they use it in their cooking, you might ask the friendly chef to let you have a gram or two , that's all you need..
i don't have it in my restaurant, sorry, so i can't offer it to you...

Benedikt
18-02-2005, 19:04
the translation for mace (ACCORDING TO DUBOUX LANGUAGE GUIDE) a dictionary for food/ kitchen ingredients is:
'сушеная шелуха мускатного ореха'.