PDA

View Full Version : English computers?

Saffer
05-03-2010, 12:54
Any ideas where I can get an English laptop? Kind of stupid question, I know, but would be quite handy, as my Russian is nonexistent.

ReallyGreatConcerts
05-03-2010, 13:48
All laptops come with an English keyboard as standard, and the Russian letters also appear on the keys. Most systems can be configured to open in English-language versions of Windows, and with the English keyboard activated. Go to a proper electronics shop like ION, and they can configure it all for you in the store - they're very helpful.

TD
05-03-2010, 16:27
There are a few shops such as Belyie Veter (digital.ru) that keep a few laptops in stock in the bigger stores that have English windows installed. Otherwise you will need to upgrade to "Windows Ultimate" in order to switch between languages - either that or get someone from home to send you a copy of a lesser version in English. See this thread ---> http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=189325

Or buy a Mac, in which case English support is built in - there is only one version of the OS :-)

ReallyGreatConcerts
05-03-2010, 17:22
When I bought (last month) the Samsung netbook I'm now replying on (I was in Tiumen' at the time), Windows offered me the choice to install in English or Russian at first boot-up :)

FatAndy
05-03-2010, 17:27
Very nice! Was it purchased at Arsenal Plus company? ;)

deepthroat
05-03-2010, 19:19
You can have the operating system as well as the programs systems in English. They might need to order the soft ware.

One piece of advice! Have a professional and certified IT guy do the work as it is quite complicated. When I bought my new Lenovo a few month ago I had the supplier do it all, including uninstalling all Russian language versions of whatever systems and programs were there. I want to go in and tweek the PC myself, but don't want to learn Russian IT language in the process :)

PS If you havent decided on a brand yet I can only highly recommend Lenovo :10806:

Good luck

ReallyGreatConcerts
05-03-2010, 19:45
Very nice! Was it purchased at Arsenal Plus company? ;)

No, but I got a great price from TechnoSila, at Goodwin. I needed a netbook in a hurry, N130, very happy with it :)

FatAndy
06-03-2010, 16:23
2 ReallyGreatConcerts:
Very good then. BTW, Asus and Samsung are only notebook vendors now who makes different colours for Russian/Llatin letters on keys (very convenient for users who has no "blind" 10-fingers printing).
I've just asked because Arsenal+ is biggest IT company in Tyumen' and they have retail stores too.

2 deepthroat:
Agree, Lenovo is very good, especially if you take Thinkpads. But Ideapads are also very decent.

ReallyGreatConcerts
06-03-2010, 20:46
Maybe I should have found "Arsenal", but I didn't have any computer-savvy person to advise me in Tyumen'. I should say that the staff at TechnoSila were really helpful and honest in their advice - I went there intending to spend more, and they showed me the computer that had the spec I wanted for less. Not many stores would do that :) And the Samsung brand is reliable with a high build-quality. I was specifically shopping for a netbook, so light weight and reliability were my priorities. I would not suggest the N130 to use all the time, but if you travel a lot, it's a neat machine :) The only downside - the sound is poor for listening to music, because there is only one speaker (on the l/h side). But if you use headphones or plug in speakers, the problem is solved :)

Actually I taught myself to touch-type in Russian (not hard, just takes a few weeks) about 15 years ago, so I don't look at the keys anyhow :11033: