PDA

View Full Version : An Experiment that came out well!

DPG
07-02-2005, 16:01
I had an idea about a dish last night and threw it together with some stuff I had in the flat and it's actually very very nice!!

You'll need:

Lasagne Sheets
Smoked Salmon
Cream Cheese
Lemon Juice
Olive Oil
Tabasco Sauce

Bring a large pan of water to the boil with a pinch of salt and some (normal) oil in it - when boiling, add the lasagne sheets and cook until just al dente.

Drain and refresh the sheets under cold water to stop them cooking.

Take one sheet and spread it thinly with creamcheese (you could also add some Dill to the cheese if you like).

Cover with smoked salmon and sprinkle with a few drops of lemon juice.

Cover with another pasta sheet.

Repeat process until the 'stack' is about 5 or 6 layers high.

Chill in the fridge.

Serve with a drizzle of olive oil that has been flavoured with some tabasco (to taste) and a twist of black pepper.

Turned out really tasty!

Notes -

Don't add too much salt to the water for the pasta because the fish is already salty enough.

Creme Fraiche would probably be even nicer than cream cheese, but I'm not sure if you can get it here...

A good wine match would be Chenin Blanc (just off-dry with good acidity and enough fruit to complement the saltiness of the fish and spicyness of the tabasco)!

Probably best served on a table in a nice garden in summer rather than on your lap while watching a film in your flat in winter!!;-)

Olim
07-02-2005, 16:10
EFL teachers eating smoked salmon, eh? What's the world coming to?

pengwn9
07-02-2005, 16:12
I was ok till I got to the part about tabasco sauce? But you're learning the Mom Method of Cooking:

Look in fridge.
Look in cupboards.
Look in freezer.
Mix together whatever you can find and hope for the best. Sometimes it works out better than others....my kids flee now when I tell them we're having Chicken Surprise for dinner. Too many failed experiments there.

BTW I have good news for you, you won't have to be humiliated going to the rynok with me. I went Friday and got the stall number of the cheese lady with the 600 ruble parmesan and the Coberg cheddar. She's in 3-31.

DPG
07-02-2005, 16:16
Chicken surprise!! hehe!

I always think that smoked salmon goes well with something a bit spicy - takes the edge off the saltiness/smokiness...you could use some fine strips of fresh chilli or some chilli infused oil I suppose...

I'll never do that mum method of cooking - I look at what I've got, think of an idea of what I'd like to cook and go out to get the rest of the indredients!!

Thanks for the cheese-stall number!

Hick_hop
07-02-2005, 16:17
Which rynok, Peng?

pengwn9
07-02-2005, 16:23
I can't go throught this again.....can somebody help me out here? I posted directions to the best of my ability in the pesto thread. But cheddar I can do for you. I've only seen a couple of kinds. Cheddar doesn't seem to be a Russian favorite. Anchor cheddar from New Zealand is widely available at the rynok, and there is this one lady with the Coberg. The Anchor is very sharp and crumbly and doesn't cook very well but has a very good flavor. The Coberg is milder.

DPG
07-02-2005, 16:38
Дорогомиловский рынок, улица Раевского.

Couldn't find a map unfortunately...

Wish1991
07-02-2005, 16:39
Stockmann's has english cheddar...if you are lazy like me (and hobbled by a torn ACL like me).

trebor
07-02-2005, 17:00
A dish that i modified to use Russian ingredients and that sells very well where i work is this:

Few slices of lightly salted salmon cut into strips(should be available in any good supermarket)
45 grams un-cooked fettucine
15 grams olive oil
30 grams finely chopped onion
Finely chopped garlic to taste
30 grams white wine
50 grams of fresh cream
25 grams parmesan

Cook the fettucine in plenty of boiling un-salted water. Al dente.
drain and re-fresh in cold water. Drain again and set asside.
Gently fry the chopped onion in the olive oil without colour.
Add the garlic fry for one minute more.
Add the white wine and reduce by 2/3rds.
Add the lightly salted salmon then the cream.
Bring to the boil add the fettucine and heat through.
Sprinkle with the parmesan and serve.

Shatneresque
15-02-2005, 09:08
POTATOES a la STROGANOV

4--6 medium to large potatoes
1 small onion
100 g mushrooms
2 large pickles
3--4 cloves of garlic
Butter and/or sunflower oil
Large container of sour cream, 15--20%
Parsley
Salt
Pepper

Peel the potatoes and cut them up into chunks. Boil in salted water about 20 minutes until soft, then drain.

Chop up the other vegetables and saute them over medium heat in a large pan using either the butter or the oil, or a combination of both.

When the onions are translucent, add the potatoes. Salt and pepper them, sprinkle on some parsley, stir thouroughly, then cover and let everything cook together over low heat for a couple of minutes.

Stir in the sour cream an let it all bubble for a few minutes until everything is hot and the liquid is reduced a bit.

Serve either as a side dish or together with a green or yellow vegetable as a meal in itself.

Shatneresque
15-02-2005, 09:21
BLINI a la STROGANOV

300 g mushrooms
1 medium onion
2--3 large pickles
3--4 cloves of garlic
Butter and/or sunflower oil
Large container sour cream, 15--20%
Salt
Pepper
Parsley

Stack of blini/crepes, already made.

Chop up the vegetables and saute them in the butter or oil, or a combination of the two. Sprinkle on the salt, pepper, and parsley to taste. For each diner, spoon some of the mixture on three or four of the blini, roll them up, and arrange on a plate.

Add the sour cream to the rest of cooked vegetables, stir thoroughly, and heat until it bubbles and the liquid is reduced a bit. Spoon the hot mixture over the blini and garnish with some more parsley.

Simple and delicious.