PDA

View Full Version : Sending Packages to Moscow From USA

sweetfart
01-03-2010, 12:48
I've heard so many stories about how difficult it is to receive packages from the USA. I need my sister to send me some clothing and I need it ASAP. Does anyone have experience getting packages from the USA? How long did it take you and what is the deal with the duties and taxes? Is there a way to avoid them?

nbogaard
01-03-2010, 13:17
If you truly need it ASAP, try FED EX but be advised, it is going to cost a small fortune and if it's in a box with all of the right custome stuff, it may be in Customs for a month. Your best bet is to find someone here on the forum or with your company who is going to be coming to Moscow soon who can bring it to you.

The postal system here is inexpensive but you cannot rely on time estimates for how long it will take. I ordered a DVD from Germany and it arrived three days later but I am still waiting, six weeks later for one I ordered earlier than that. If there is a way to send it into Russia so that it gets handled separately, like certified mail or special delivery in the US, I am not aware of it. Good luck!

Swarbs
01-03-2010, 14:30
My wife has ordered quite a few clothes from the US through 'agents', who are basically expat Russians living in the US who can buy stuff cheaply through their online stores and ship it to Russia. We have never had any problems with delays, but I think that may be because these agents know the customs system well - to me it seems like a bit of a lottery what gets through and what doesn't.

Re the duties, if your sister is sending used / second hand clothes then there shouldn't be a problem, as they have no real economic value to anyone but you. If she is sending new clothes then there may be duties to pay, but I'm not sure as to the amount etc.

xSnoofovich
01-03-2010, 15:04
I buy things on Ebay or other websites all of the time, and have them shipped to me. It can take 2-5 weeks in total, and is a great way to really cut down on costs.

I found the biggest hassle was just trying to figure out which post office you have to pick the darn things up at......

Aynur
01-03-2010, 20:44
Hello sweetfart!
I've sent a parcels from the US to Russia and Kyrgyzstan many many times. Federal Express is a bit expensive. I used USPS Express mail for anything (there are also priority, international types too, but express is more reasonable in terms of prices and actual delivery time). It actually takes 4-5 days to get to the addressee. I was sending clothes, toys, gifts, computers (brand new), videocams etc. To avoid taxes everthing has to be in 1 piece, and the total cost mentioned on the tax paper should be less than 100 USD. When I've sent the computer they held it for two weeks at the tax department, but released it afterwards with no problems. Anyway you can call me 8-963-7265688 if any questions I may help you out with. Aynur.

mikegulf
01-03-2010, 21:57
I would use Fed Ex or some other carrier. I wouldn't suggest the USPS, they are expensive, it takes forever and sometimes things seem to get lost!

xSnoofovich
01-03-2010, 22:59
I would use Fed Ex or some other carrier. I wouldn't suggest the USPS, they are expensive, it takes forever and sometimes things seem to get lost!

Whatever, it costs a bit less than $40 to have a package sent, regardless of weight, (they give you a special box).....and ships fairly quickly....

in mho - the best bang for the buck !