PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants in Moscow (your opinion)

PaulGO
26-02-2010, 18:27
Hello there!
I came to Moscow for the first time. The work I got to do is a research concerning dining out in Moscow. And I need your help and opinion folks on how is it going here? How do you like the quality of food, beverages, hospitality? What do you think is missing in Moscow’s cafes and restaurants? Does the quality satisfy the price? What can you say about interior of restaurants?
Which restaurant could you advise to 40 years old American?
Thanks!

Swordfish90293
26-02-2010, 19:14
Most food here is rather bland for one with West Coast variatal taste. There is no Mexican worth mentioning, although Pancho Villa comes close (run by Cubans). Druzba at Novoslobodska metro is great Chinese by any standards, but doesn't beat the value of Stateside Asian. There's a Nobu, but most other sushi falls short. Goodman's and Gaucho are great for steaks, but pricy. Not, again, the value of U.S. steakhouses.

Better value local fare is Georgian.

Service is a mixed bag, sometimes overbearing as the locals tend to pick up every scrap and dish never leaving you in peace. But service can be good.

Try the Shashlik at Rays...

nbogaard
26-02-2010, 19:20
I think that no matter where you are from, if you are going out to a nice restuarant in Moscow, the prices will give you a jolt. If two of you go to Market, Сыр (Novikov restaurants), El Gaucho, Mario's, Turandot, Pushkin, etc., and you have moderately priced wine, you're going to spend $200. That said, there are some very good restaurants that are less expensive and very good. Lots of people will give you advice about those.

FatAndy
26-02-2010, 20:06
2 PaulGO:
What do you want to feel in Moscow? Traditional Ruusian cuisine or just American (one side of menu is sandwiches, other is burgers)? ;) Mid-Eastern ex-USSR (Uzbek/Tajik/Kazakh/Turkmen/Kirgiz) or cross-Caucasus mountains (Georgian? Armenian? Azerbaijan?) ;)

tvadim133
26-02-2010, 23:41
I wold say that in Moscow there are so many restaurants and clubs, that you will be lost.

Taking into account that you are in the centre, there will be too many choices, but in Moscow there are more italian cuisine then something else.

I can give you my TOP:

1. Pushkin, Oblomov, 7 pyatnits (7 fridays), Godunov may be - expensive but real russian cuisine + perfect atmosphere;
2. Mia Piace, Company, Mamina Pasta, Boga Boga (italian) - good, not expensive but not very excellent (not high cuisine);
3. Mon cafe and Jean Jaque - french - average price but quite good cuisine;
4. Grably, Yelki Palki, Drova - mix, cheap, about good quality, but for lunch (fast food, I would say);
5. American Bars and TG fridays - pseudo american, not bad;
6. Aldebaran, Coffemania - coffe shops, but have got excellent cuisine (mix of italian, french and russian (salads, main meal and so on) = not cheap;
7. Most, Bolshoi, Turandot, Gallery- for special dinner (expensive and glamourious)

mido008
27-02-2010, 01:04
check out this threat
http://expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=176769

Viola
02-03-2010, 10:01
Hello there!
I came to Moscow for the first time. The work I got to do is a research concerning dining out in Moscow. And I need your help and opinion folks on how is it going here? How do you like the quality of food, beverages, hospitality? What do you think is missing in Moscow’s cafes and restaurants? Does the quality satisfy the price? What can you say about interior of restaurants?
Which restaurant could you advise to 40 years old American?
Thanks!

Sounds like a dream job :)

TZski
02-03-2010, 11:47
Check out Durdin... One of my favorites!! Great beer - reasonable prices...

http://www.durdin.ru/

:beerbros:

Kangaroo495
02-03-2010, 12:07
Here is my uncencored opinion. :) Yes, the situation is bad
www.rus-res-rev.ru

Natella S.
02-03-2010, 12:34
I wold say that in Moscow there are so many restaurants and clubs, that you will be lost.

Taking into account that you are in the centre, there will be too many choices, but in Moscow there are more italian cuisine then something else.

I can give you my TOP:

1. Pushkin, Oblomov, 7 pyatnits (7 fridays), Godunov may be - expensive but real russian cuisine + perfect atmosphere;
2. Mia Piace, Company, Mamina Pasta, Boga Boga (italian) - good, not expensive but not very excellent (not high cuisine);
3. Mon cafe and Jean Jaque - french - average price but quite good cuisine;
4. Grably, Yelki Palki, Drova - mix, cheap, about good quality, but for lunch (fast food, I would say);
5. American Bars and TG fridays - pseudo american, not bad;
6. Aldebaran, Coffemania - coffe shops, but have got excellent cuisine (mix of italian, french and russian (salads, main meal and so on) = not cheap;
7. Most, Bolshoi, Turandot, Gallery- for special dinner (expensive and glamourious)

I heard that Most (near the Kuznetskiy most metro station) also is a night club. Isn't it?

Natella

PaulGO
02-03-2010, 12:54
2 PaulGO:
What do you want to feel in Moscow? Traditional Ruusian cuisine or just American (one side of menu is sandwiches, other is burgers)? ;) Mid-Eastern ex-USSR (Uzbek/Tajik/Kazakh/Turkmen/Kirgiz) or cross-Caucasus mountains (Georgian? Armenian? Azerbaijan?) ;)
I need to know everything about restaurants in Moscow :) How do YOU like it?

Viola
02-03-2010, 13:01
Check out this thread
http://expat.ru/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=93&page=1&pp=25&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=-1

Just scroll down the page, at the display option choose "show from the beginning" and that's it, you have the opinions.