PDA

View Full Version : More "Innocents" Captured in WOT

koba65
07-02-2005, 00:52
"U.S. forces are holding three French nationals who were captured in Iraq fighting alongside insurgents loyal to terrorist kingpin Abu Musab al Zarqawi - a development that could complicate attempts to thaw relations between France and America.

"I can confirm that we are aware of the existence of these three people of French nationality who are being held in Iraq," French Foreign Ministry spokesman Herve Ladsous told a press conference in Paris last week, in comments first reported by Reuters. The French fighters were detained by a U.S. patrol during fighting in the city of Fallujah last November, Ladsous explained.

Iraq's human rights minister Bakhtiar Amin confirmed the detentions during an interview last week on France's Europe One Radio.

"Two of them have admitted they came to make jihad against the Americans . . . They will be tried in Iraq," Amin said. "They are criminals and we are here to see justice is done."

The Iraqi official said also that he believed there were up to a dozen French citizens fighting U.S. forces in his country.

U.S. military sources in Iraq told Reuters that the three French fighters are currently being detained at Iraq's Camp Bucca.

A Paris-based Islamic network is suspected of having recruited them to fight in Iraq."

Won't be long before the "they were there on a peaceful mission but were captured by mistake by the evil Americans" arguments start.

Zephyr
25-02-2005, 08:47
Would that be camp "Bukka White " after the famous bluesman ?

yankee@moscow
26-02-2005, 10:54
Is this when all the claims of torture start or do we have to wait until they are eventually released for that?

Sparafucile
26-02-2005, 14:01
Here's another suspect in the WOT being "interviewed" by British troops. Three UK soldiers (including L-Cpl Mark Cooley, pictured below) were sentenced yesterday - although no-one has yet been detained in connection with the photographs (from the same Military-Police-authenticated set) that depict sexual assault.

In other news from the WOT, 6 more detainees at Guantanamo were yesterday released - authorities admitted they had been "inaccurately" identified as suspects.

Ghost
26-02-2005, 18:20
Odd. After seeing dozens of live 9/11 photos of my countrymen - and the citizens of many other countries - being burned alive and/or jumping to their deaths as the thousands of gallons of jet fuel destroyed both towers, the above photo just don't make me go "oh no!".

*shrug*

Sparafucile
26-02-2005, 19:17
Well, Ghost, unfortunately the world's media weren't on hand when Fallujah was being bombed.

I'm puzzled, though, at the connection you make between one event and the other... because even Mr Bush has finally confirmed in public that there was no connection between Iraq and 9/11.

Or are you saying that there's nothing to choose between the ethics of the WOT and those of the perpretators of 9/11?

I'm confused.

Ghost
26-02-2005, 19:19
Freak - as usual, you're reading too much into it which causes you to confuse yourself.

I'm simply saying that ever since I've seen photos of people burning alive and jumping purposely to their deaths to avoid said burning, very little photographic violence manages to disturb me anymore.

J.D.
26-02-2005, 19:26
Ghost, in this context you give a very bad impression.

Ghost
26-02-2005, 20:01
JD - umm...let me check if I care...

Checking...

checking...

Nope, don't!

Sparafucile
26-02-2005, 21:28
So in fact, if an American city was attacked in a terrorist assault (of exactly the kind which the Council for Homeland Security are indeed warning about now)... then you would be similarly unbothered by the pictures of the dead and injured there too, yes?

Beslan, Tsunami - your pulse didn't flicker, right?

Ghost
27-02-2005, 12:41
Try to stop shaking at your computer as you type for a moment (as we all know you do when you get angry and upset).

Violence in media and pictures no longer bother me like they used to. I think the public has become somewhat numb to them. I know I have.

That does not preclude a particular act of violence making me feel sad, angry, upset, or otherwise discontented by it. It's just that pictures (and your attempt to draw more sympathy to your cause by posting them) does not. Incidently, my view point on this particular act (the violence to the prisoners by British soldiers) has no effect on me either. As do most of the situations you bring up.

Get it now, dope?

Sparafucile
27-02-2005, 12:55
>> Try to stop shaking at your computer as you type for a moment <<

Try to keep on the point, for once?