PDA

View Full Version : Short-term cell phone in Moscow

pghguy
22-02-2010, 07:06
Hi all,
I am from the U.S. and will be in Moscow for about 5 weeks this summer studying Russian. I am looking for a way to keep in touch with family back in the States, and ideally I would like to find a SIM card for a Palm Treo 755 that is in good working condition but I no longer use. Can anyone recommend a particular provider or set-up that would be the most economical? I would imagine that I will be making some local calls within Moscow, but I primarily will want to be able to receive and/or make calls to the U.S. at the most reasonable rates.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can provide.

- Robert

Kartoshka
22-02-2010, 08:40
Sim cards are very cheap to buy - no more than a couple of hundred roubles - and you can get them at mobile phone shops which are all over the place in Moscow. There are three main providers (Megafon, Beeline and MTS) and not much to choose between them, especially as you'll only be here for 5 weeks. One thing to be aware of: you will need your passport with you when you buy, so if you can, get out to buy one before you hand your passport in for registration.

As for making calls to the States, I have no idea really, but you might find that using a phone card will be the cheapest option.

Matt24
22-02-2010, 09:09
Hi all,
I am looking for a way to keep in touch with family back in the States,

Can anyone recommend a particular provider or set-up that would be the most economical? I would imagine that I will be making some local calls within Moscow, but I primarily will want to be able to receive and/or make calls to the U.S. at the most reasonable rates.

- Robert

For purposes of regular contact I'd suggest you set up a Skype account on your computer - when I phone home to San Francisco it's a matter of cents per minute using Skype versus several dollars using MTS, (if you Skype to Skype its Free! but the time differences often mean that at least one of us isn't at the computer at the mutually most convenient times) - I have set up a US number that allows people to phone me from the US at local rates, and I have a Nokia E71 which I can use for making and receiving Skype and other VOIP calls - (using the mobile version is more expensive than a call from your laptop, but still considerably cheaper than any mobile plan I've spotted on the Russian market).

I'd use a local SIM card option for emergency purposes only, as it could prove a tad expensive.

Cheers

Matt

tasel
22-02-2010, 12:38
Use the operator called Matrix for overseas calls. The rest are all expensive for international calls.

Ed.
22-02-2010, 12:47
For purposes of regular contact I'd suggest you set up a Skype account on your computer - when I phone home to San Francisco it's a matter of cents per minute using Skype versus several dollars using MTS, (if you Skype to Skype its Free! but the time differences often mean that at least one of us isn't at the computer at the mutually most convenient times) - I have set up a US number that allows people to phone me from the US at local rates, and I have a Nokia E71 which I can use for making and receiving Skype and other VOIP calls - (using the mobile version is more expensive than a call from your laptop, but still considerably cheaper than any mobile plan I've spotted on the Russian market).

I'd use a local SIM card option for emergency purposes only, as it could prove a tad expensive.

Cheers

Matt

Fully egree with Matt. So if you have a lot of money to spend, buy a SIM and make phone calls or give the money to me )) but if you are on a limited budget then i would suggest: Skype for normal international calls and SIM for calls in Moscow + sms to the US + emergency calls to family )))

If you'll need any help, feel free to contact me. Luck Good!

rushan
22-02-2010, 14:53
Pghguy,
Laptop + Yota(or other Internet provider) solves the issue. A guys above are right. Skype to skype connection is free and unlimited.

IvanInMoscow
24-02-2010, 23:40
I fully agree that some kind of IP telephony is much more inexpensive than a direct call from a cell phone, but, just in case you still prefer it this way...

There used to be a Megafon tariff that cost 3 rubles per minute for calls within Moscow AND (that is not a typo) to most of Europe, USA and Canada. Eventually price to call abroad grew to 5 rubles (still very attractive). Unfortunately, that tariff (Единый) is not available anymore.

A quick look-around in their site showed that most of their tariffs charge 30 rubles (a buck!) to call US. The one I found (Твое время, "Your Time", http://moscow.megafon.ru/tariffs/lite/your_time/about.html in Russian) charges 12 rubles per minute (about 40 cents). This is not the thorough research, just something to keep in mind and compare against.

Full disclosure: I have two working SIMs (MTS and Beeline), MTS is my primary number, I have been their faithfu... loya... tenacious client ever since I got my first personal cell.

vovik01
25-02-2010, 00:51
Hi all,
I am from the U.S. and will be in Moscow for about 5 weeks this summer studying Russian. I am looking for a way to keep in touch with family back in the States, and ideally I would like to find a SIM card for a Palm Treo 755 that is in good working condition but I no longer use. Can anyone recommend a particular provider or set-up that would be the most economical? I would imagine that I will be making some local calls within Moscow, but I primarily will want to be able to receive and/or make calls to the U.S. at the most reasonable rates.

- Robert

Simple way: http://www.broadvoice.com/

Setup account, chose plan (BroadVoice Unlimited™ In-State Plan: $9.95 mo )
After this you can setup this phone # on your Iphone, any WiFi phone( about $50) , or just take broadvoice wired adapter to Moscow. If you don't need broadvoice wired adapter, or you have one (from ebay or..) , this plan the best: http://www.broadvoice.com/rateplans_byod.html Bring Your Own Device™ Plans: from $5.95 mo , but it's only 100 outgoing minutes (incoming unlimited). If you (or somebody ) need more help, ask me :-)
Total coast for US phone in Moscow (or any place)
1. Broadvoice $10-$20
2. Local Internet $20-$30 or free WiFi
3. Device
BTW for $2-$3 you can setup MultiPresence ( additional device). One on Iphone and one wired adapter home...or ...what ever you want:-)
All calls from this phone to USA FREE :-) International rates: http://www.broadvoice.com/rateplans_international.aspx
Also....Big Brother (in Moscow- KGB or FSB. or whatever) CAN"T intercept calls from this phone. Land lines and cell phones in Russia safe? He-he :-)))