PDA

View Full Version : UK document apostille saga

rugbymad
09-02-2010, 13:48
I thought this might be of interest to UK citizens in the process of legalizing docs for TRP. I'm doing it now.
The FCO in Britain insist a solicitor signs and stamps your docs before they do. In fact, they DON'T need a solicitor's stamp on your police report - because "a policeman is a recognized public official". They stamped mine without it.
And the chancellor of your university isn't..So make sure your solicitor signs that.
What a load of sh!t, eh?
And try and get a solicitor who knows what he's doing. Mine was hopeless, and had no idea what he was meant to do. First, he made copies of both documents, signed them as "genuine copies" . So I sent them, and FCO just stamped the police report and returned my degree!
Next time, I got the solicitor to phone FCO and find out exactly what he had to write on there, (I suggested that to him the first time, naturally) then I sent it all off again. At least the solicitor didn't charge me again, unlike FCO (28 quid each document and a 6 quid postal fee).
And I spent 300 flying to UK just because the lawyer said I had to come in in person, they couldn't let my dad do it. And did they check my ID when I came in?
No, of course not. Assh01es.
Next week I'll be back in Moscow doing the medicals and other TRP stuff. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.....

snowbars
09-02-2010, 16:16
As a Rule of FCO - a third party (friend or relative) can go and apostile your documents.
But they will be treated as a BUSINESS. and not personal caller.

difference: Personal caller gets docs while you wait
business comes in next working day and collects.......

markusha
09-02-2010, 17:12
The British Consul here at the embassy can sign instead of a UK solicitor, and you get it back the next day, so that can cut down on the scope for incompetence in appropriate situations.

Bels
09-02-2010, 21:47
The British Consul here at the embassy can sign instead of a UK solicitor, and you get it back the next day, so that can cut down on the scope for incompetence in appropriate situations.

To be honest. I haven't come across this ridiculous idea where you need a soliciter to sign appostile. It seems ridiculous to me. I have had documents appostilled for both marriage in Russia, and TRP. In no way was I put under pressure to have the cost and time of the wasted use of a Russian soliciter. Maybe it is different for qualifications. But do you know what I think? I think that the left hand party is doing with the right hand party. So they guess their own redtape, just to inconvienience you.

Problem is , if the office worker says so, even though that person hasn't go a clue of the legal facts, you have to do it, or prove legally otherwise, like my Russian does. Even the Russian lawyers are useless, and you may well find that they rarely deal with FSB laws and regulations. So Yes! They bluff and guess also. Yes they are that incompetant, but won't reject a fee to bluff there so called knowledge. In fact they probably bought their own qualifications for a bribe. You might ask them about how to buy a qualification, as that is probably their speciality.

Bels
09-02-2010, 21:53
And a very good question. How does a even a good qualified Russian soliciter know how to verify a good qualification as good. Do they contact the educational establishment, and yes they say this guy or gal is Kosha. Panemayo I sign as being a good qualification. LOL!

Judge
09-02-2010, 22:29
It's says on the FCO site that a solicitor needs to sign educational documents before they can be legalised.

From the FCO site..

What documents can we legalise?
UK Educational Documents
All educational documents must be signed by a practising UK solicitor or notary before they can be legalised. The solicitor or notary should either confirm that the document is original if that is the case, or a true photocopy. If you are living overseas it may be possible for the British Council in your country to certify the document instead. You should check with the local British Council office to see if they offer this service.

Also on the FCO site ,they give you a link to print off a Cover Letter..In this cover letter ,you tell them everything you need.

rugbymad, good luck in getting your temp rez...

It's all here...

http://www.expat.ru/forum/temporary-permanent-residency/160998-british-only-trp-subject-access-legalisation.html

markusha
10-02-2010, 08:35
The words "British Council" in the quote above is a misprint for "British Consul" which they haven't bothered to correct. The British Council have nothing to do with it.

phil
10-02-2010, 09:58
It's says on the FCO site that a solicitor needs to sign educational documents before they can be legalised.

From the FCO site..

What documents can we legalise?
UK Educational Documents
All educational documents must be signed by a practising UK solicitor or notary before they can be legalised. The solicitor or notary should either confirm that the document is original if that is the case, or a true photocopy. If you are living overseas it may be possible for the British Council in your country to certify the document instead. You should check with the local British Council office to see if they offer this service.

Also on the FCO site ,they give you a link to print off a Cover Letter..In this cover letter ,you tell the everything you need.

rugbymad, good luck in getting your temp rez...

It's all here...

http://www.expat.ru/forum/temporary-permanent-residency/160998-british-only-trp-subject-access-legalisation.html

Have you got the exact link for the cover letter? I can't find it.

Rhubard Geoff
10-02-2010, 10:47
My solicitor was somewhat bemused when I asked her to sign my diploma but she did it for nowt so I guess that's a result. At the FCO office a lot of people were turning up without solicitor signatures but the staff were guiding them to a couple of places within 5 min walk. A nice earner for them I guess.

Judge
10-02-2010, 11:13
Have you got the exact link for the cover letter? I can't find it.

It's on this page, under ''What do I need to include with my application?''

You need to download and print off the cover letter..

Applications by post (http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/what-we-do/services-we-deliver/legal-services/legalisation/by-post)

AnnabellaM
11-02-2011, 19:34
I called the British Consulate here in Moscow, and they said they have this new service introduced in 2011. You bring your UK docs to the Consulate (mine is diploma), they make a so called true copy and send it to FCO with dimplomatic mail. The legalisation office does the apostile and sends it back to Moscow. The whole thing costs around 4000 rubles. Though they were not able to advise me on the timelines, I believe they should be the same as for business applications. It would be great if it works, as it saves so much time!!! In other case we will have to travel back to UK and waste another 2 weeks with the work permit application.
Did anyone try this with the British Consulate before?

AnnabellaM
17-03-2011, 22:25
New system of obtaining apostiled documents with the UK Consulate in Moscow works!! I got my apostile few days ago finally. It took me almost 3 weeks, but it's worth it if you cannot go to UK, or you don't want to mess up with Milton Keynes directly sending docs by DHL and never knowing if they'll ever get back to you with the Russian post. I paid around 3500 rubles for this.