PDA

View Full Version : Ice-hockey in Moscow?

mosaikmum
05-02-2010, 13:11
Is there anywhere to watch ice-hockey in Moscow? Do they have have a tournament?

andymackem
05-02-2010, 13:22
There are three top-league teams playing in Moscow - Dinamo, CSKA and Spartak. They all have regular home matches, usually starting at 7.30 on weekday evenings or 5 on weekends.

There are a couple of games this weekend - Friday night = Dinamo v Vityaz at the Luzhniki indoor arena (m Sportivnaya)

Sunday 5pm Dinamo v Torpedo (as above) or Spartak v MVD at Sokolniki arena (m Sokolniki).

Then it all goes quiet while the winter olympics take place.

Континентальная Хоккейная Лига - KHL.RU - официальный сайт (http://www.khl.ru) (there's an English version linked from there) has full fixtures. Tickets are usually available on matchdays, from about 300r.

Enjoy - it's fun. The season is coming to an end soon, though.

Max77
05-02-2010, 14:14
Olympics are on their way!
Then there will be play-offs in Russian Premier Leauge (KHL)! I think all three teams are making them?!
And of course World Cup starting in May.
Lots of hockey!!!!
:10189:

mosaikmum
05-02-2010, 14:16
Thanks for the info! I'm not in Moscow at the moment and won't be there this season at all. :( Just asking for future reference.
My sons both played ice-hockey and I love watching the game. I've been to Moscow 3 times and it occurred to me that nobody has ever mentioned ice-hockey....maybe because we're always there in the summer :)
Hope to get there for winter and the ice-hockey season sometime. Thanks again, Andy! :)

pjw
05-02-2010, 14:53
Hockey's huge here. It's normal to hear click of sticks and whiz of puck as indoor cage playgrounds for footie or basketball freeze into mini ice arenas. :cold:

When are U planning on coming next mosaikmum? Looking fwd to seeing ya. :wavey:

Max77
05-02-2010, 16:25
PJW You've got to be saying that about Canada. I've seen this in Toronoto. Here in Moscow I don't see that at least not where I live. I'll tell you more - our damn mayor in Moscow killed two sporting grounds just in my neighborhood (Shabolovskaya metro), turned it into commercial projects. Now we don't have a place to play basketball/tennis and play soccer, do ice-skating.

We should be soon losing every international competition because of that dork!

andymackem
05-02-2010, 16:37
The KHL season runs from the start of September to the end of April (including play-offs). There's also an annual international tournament in Moscow on the third weekend of December (Russia, Finland, Sweden, Czech Rep) which is often fun.

As well as the Moscow teams it's possible to get out to see Atlant (Mytishchi, 30 mins by bus from Medvedkovo, stops at the arena) or MVD (Balashikha, train from Kursky Vokzal or bus from Partizanskaya / Novogireevo but can be slow in heavy traffic - get off in Pl. Lenina).

The league site I linked to above is a decent starting point for fixture info. If you read russian the club websites aren't bad either - Поддержи команду (http://www.dynamo.ru) has a full fixture calendar which you can search by date or club.