PDA

View Full Version : Groundhog Day

OlgaT
02-02-2010, 12:31
Robert, will you tell us whether a groundhog will crawl out of its burrow today? Please, I am waiting with impatience. :bowdown: :rolleyes:

nbogaard
02-02-2010, 13:08
The deal is not whether or not the groundhog crawls out of its burrow. The deal is whether or not it sees its shadow. Unfortunately, I no longer remember whether seeing its shadow or not seeing its shadow means that there will be six more weeks of Winter.

I didn't want to leave you with incomplete information so I googled it. If it sees its shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter.

OlgaT
02-02-2010, 13:26
The deal is not whether or not the groundhog crawls out of its burrow. The deal is whether or not it sees its shadow.
Thanks nbogaard! I've heard something about the shadow also, but as I understood, if it sees its shadow it goes back to the burrow? Otherwise, how will you know that it has seen its shadow?

nbogaard
02-02-2010, 14:59
I really don't know but this is what I got from Wikipedia when I googled groundhog day:

"Groundhog Day is a holiday celebrated on February 2. It is held in the United States and Canada. According to folklore, if a groundhog emerging from its burrow on this day fails to see its shadow, it will leave the burrow, signifying that winter will soon end. If on the other hand, the groundhog sees its shadow, the groundhog will supposedly retreat into its burrow, and winter will continue for six more weeks."

OlgaT
02-02-2010, 15:04
if a groundhog emerging from its burrow on this day fails to see its shadow, it will leave the burrow, signifying that winter will soon end. If on the other hand, the groundhog sees its shadow, the groundhog will supposedly retreat into its burrow, and winter will continue for six more weeks."
And here is the answer. :)

tvadim133
02-02-2010, 15:21
In moscow in zoo it (he) had seen a shadow for 2 second, then he went to his mink and fall a sleep.

OlgaT
02-02-2010, 17:09
In moscow in zoo it (he) had seen a shadow for 2 second, then he went to his mink and fall a sleep.
What else did you expect from Russian animals? Let's wait what American ones will do. ;)

tvadim133
02-02-2010, 17:12
Agree! American animals know and see everything better!

OlgaT
02-02-2010, 17:19
Agree! American animals know and see everything better!
At least groundhogs - I have written that they are "widely distributed in North America and common in the northeastern and central United States". So, we have only marmots, but not groundhogs. Therefore, it doesn't count. :)

robertmf
02-02-2010, 21:24
Robert, will you tell us whether a groundhog will crawl out of its burrow today? Please, I am waiting with impatience. :bowdown: :rolleyes:

Honey, I had already made a thread about sunrise Feb 2nd Groundhog Day; along with links to the Wing Bowl and Mummers ... plus a very tasty groundhog recipe :yuk:

http://www.expat.ru/forum/expat-cafe/187961-groundhog-day.html

OlgaT
02-02-2010, 22:26
Honey, I had already made a thread about sunrise Feb 2nd Groundhog Day; along with links to the Wing Bowl and Mummers ... plus a very tasty groundhog recipe :yuk:

http://www.expat.ru/forum/expat-cafe/187961-groundhog-day.html

Honey, I didn't notice your thread when I posted mine - it might have been somewhere too low in the list. I am sorry very much.

Dear moderators! Can you please delete my thread. Thanks so much in advance!

mikegulf
02-02-2010, 22:36
Well, he saw his shadow so another 6 weeks of winter. But he always sees his shadow because of all the camera lights. So we are doomed to perpetual winter!! LOL

robertmf
02-02-2010, 22:39
Honey, I didn't notice your thread when I posted mine - it might have been somewhere too low in the list. I am sorry very much.

"Never apologize" -- John Wayne

Kak skazat po-Russki :bird: ??

Just don't do it again :mad: :beerbros:

haahahhahaahhaahhaahhahaha I'll bet you sound like Russian ?zhenshchina?

OlgaT
02-02-2010, 22:44
"Never apologize" -- John Wayne

Kak skazat po-Russki :bird: ??

Just don't do it again :mad: :beerbros:

haahahhahaahhaahhaahhahaha I'll bet you sound like Russian ?zhenshchina?

robertmf
02-02-2010, 22:46
:bird:

Kak skazat :question: Flipping the bird is not an answer. Do you know the "Italian salute" ?

OlgaT
02-02-2010, 22:53
The thread is closed. Yup, by me. :verycool:

robertmf
02-02-2010, 22:54
At least groundhogs - I have written that they are "widely distributed in North America and common in the northeastern and central United States". So, we have only marmots, but not groundhogs. Therefore, it doesn't count. :)

Groundhogs/woodchucks are a type of marmot :10518:

robertmf
02-02-2010, 22:56
The thread is closed. :irule: Yup, by me. :verycool:

Bossy Russian woman !!:stop:

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: :11158:

robertmf
01-02-2011, 19:18
The annual prediction of how long Winter will last by Phil the woodchuck comes tomorrow in the middle of the afternoon, Moscow time; or about 7am in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania :12115:

http://www.groundhog.org/

robertmf
01-02-2012, 02:25
The annual Groundhog Day (http://www.groundhog.org/) weather forecast is coming on February 2nd at @ 3pm Moscow time.

The groundhog's shadow will determine if there will be 6 more weeks of Winter, or not; this is a much more reliable method than using a pig's spleen.
:9456:

robertmf
02-02-2012, 16:32
:mooooh: Punxsutawney Phil sees shadow - 6 more weeks of Winter (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/groundhog-day-2012-punxsutawney-phil-sees-shadow-6-more-weeks-of-winter/2012/02/02/gIQA9Hb7jQ_blog.html)

objective
02-02-2012, 22:48
Actually, check this out...
Look at the calendar and see that the nominal bigining of spring is March 20th.
That is 6 weeks and 5 days after February 2nd. So that means that if the groundhog sees his shadow... he may yet run back and hide in his burrow, but winter still ends sooner than it would otherwise. By almost an entire week!
:cheerleader:

Swordfish90293
02-02-2012, 23:53
this is a much more reliable method than using a pig's spleen.
:9456:
[/COLOR]

Bacon tastes good...pig spleen tastes good...groundhog, aka whistle-pig, aka woodchuck, tastes like chicken...

sigmund
05-02-2012, 09:33
Bacon tastes good...pig spleen tastes good...groundhog, aka whistle-pig, aka woodchuck, tastes like chicken...
I believe the lines were:

- Phil, are you going to the groundhog dinner?
- I had groundhog for lunch. It wasn't bad. Tastes like chicken.