PDA

View Full Version : For those OFFERING LESSONS. Please read or risk DELETION!

ezik
01-02-2010, 20:32
The School & Education forum is mainly aimed at providing expat parents with reliable information about schools and education in Russia. This is why it's in the Basics section of the forum. This is not a marketplace.

Offering lessons can be done in http://www.expat.ru/forum/lessons/ and if you seek a specific type of lessons, you can also do it there. Anyone offering lessons in the School & Education forums risks deletion of their post here, without any notice.

In addition, if you are a teaching professional, please use the Teachers and Students forum for in-depth discussion.

Many thanks
Site Admin

Bels
01-02-2010, 21:44
The School & Education forum is mainly aimed at providing expat parents with reliable information about schools and education in Russia. This is why it's in the Basics section of the forum. This is not a marketplace.

Offering lessons can be done in Lessons - The Moscow Expat Forums (http://www.expat.ru/forum/lessons/) and if you seek a specific type of lessons, you can also do it there. Anyone offering lessons in the School & Education forums risks deletion of their post here, without any notice.

In addition, if you are a teaching professional, please use the Teachers and Students forum for in-depth discussion.

Many thanks
Site Admin

But there might be some exceptions. As I know my market. Many parents are asking for tutors there to prepare their children for international schools, Top private Russian schools such as what they call gymasiums here. They need help and advice there, and contacts from those tutors who can do much better the so called schools. And they also need help when their child can't cope with dealing with their English, and their are many private English tutors who can help help get through this very difficult obstacle, by preparing them in the Summer for their next school term starting in September. Believe this is big market. What source gave you this idea Ezik? As we know you are not in the education business. Somebody contacted you giving you, giving you biased advice.

What I am saying is that there are exceptions. Tes some of the posts offerng their services are bad. but some are good and genuine for those in sections such as shool and education, and the other one regarding family and children.

But can you choose the good from the bad that is relevent to the needs of these parents?

Bels
01-02-2010, 21:51
Individual private don't get rich and wealthy from what they do. Most of them are very poor business people. Because they get carried away with their ideals of doing good to the community and teaching, and forget the purpose and need to be in business.

Believe me, individuals should be protected here. Spammers and big money companies should be deleted of course.

Bels
01-02-2010, 22:18
Sorry but I have to make another post. Market place I personally have discovered to be very poor in response. The problem is that the only student that you will get there are the ones who already have a very standard of English.

The problem is, that to even be a member of expat.ru you must have a reasonable standard of English to break the barriers of application to become a member. Now what about the massive market available to us of parents who have children learning English from beginner level to fluent level.

I shall give you an example. A russian wife of a rich British citizen who is her husband, decides for whatever reason to takes her child of seven years old coming fom England to come to Russia in Moscow. Now the British father remains in London as he is a very busy Business working in London wnats his child to keep her English, of which she is currently well spoken and well educated from London from an expensive private shool in LOndon.

So Mother goes to moscow and places her into a Russian school. Father is worried and wants to keep her good English. So he instruct the wife to find a private native English tutor, because he wants his daughter to keep her English, and develop it as she grows up to the age of 16. Whe is is 16 he wants her to study at college for her A levels and eventually go to an English University.

Believe me. This is no fairy tale. and many other private tutors might have had simular experiences to back up my story. And this is only one example, as there are a few more.

The point is that in any section, genuine tutors should be encouraged, and for many of us the market place is a waste of time and space.

Many of these parents don't speak English. How can we break the language barrier. Is it possible to make expat.ru bot Russian and English friendly. Because for tutors, business would pour in, and perhaps for other professions.

ezik
01-02-2010, 23:51
The thing I am after is advertising like: "English Lessons. Professional level. At your place or mine. 8-916-1234567." Random posts not aimed at offering advice, not in reply to any specific question in this section, and just to meant to advertise.

If someone answers a question asked by a newbie, AND happens to be a teacher, AND by the way suggest to discuss matters in a practical way, there is nothing wrong with that.

But people having only 3 or so posts made, not participating at all in any other areas, should not be allowed to just put a classified here.

Experienced teachers are known on this forum and know that a reaction to a serious question here may result in another job. Just as people who work for well-known visa companies benefit from providing advice in the Visas section.

There is nothing wrong with providing your services in the process of answering a question in this forum. That's just a matter of smart entrepreneurship. But those who are just after a quick deal without paying attention to what this forum is about? Nope. Marketplace. Only. If we want to improve the level of teaching services offered here, we need to make sure that the plain advertisers are put where they belong. This gives a greater opportunity for the true professionals to make a name here, exactly in this forum.

kapione
02-02-2010, 09:26
after EXPAT changed the rules, and made changes with the website to make it easier

I am sure I am not alone, to use EXPAT has been made very complicated, it isnt user friendly.....both Teachers + students have posted in the wrong areas

I have voiced my opinion before , the Changes with HOW to use EXPAT sucks ,I am a member for a very long time, and I am pretty good with computers, I had to ask internal help on where things were and what to do....

as I mentioned above, I am not alone

I agree and disagree with Bels, most teachers do not get rich.... but many teachers who stay long term(more than 2 years) must be good with business, I think they realize schools do not care for their welfare or the students, thats why they become independant teachers ....when this happens you need to know business or you wont survive here long,Im surviving here just about 5 years(I should be credited with double the time) except for the conomic crisis, Im comfortable,my families needs are met ,we 3 are healthy ,things are ok..... remember, YES things can be better , but they also can be worse , so as I said , things are ok ;-)
Newbie Teachers who need advice only need to PM me for advice

enjoy your day people

ezik
02-02-2010, 21:00
I remain of the opinion that there should be a place when newcomers (new expat families with children) can gain some advice, without random offers being thrown around them. That's why this forum for now is and stays in the basics section.

If it's now too difficult to navigate around, we probably could move the Lessons marketplace to the Teachers & Students forum. Then you have one forum in which you can find and do anything you needs: offer lessons, get lessons, discuss methods, etc, etc, etc. All in one place, just 5 sub-sections, can be counted on one hand, easy to rehearse.

If this is not a good suggestion, please define "sucks".

Bels
13-06-2010, 20:16
Simply remove the small poster unknowns. I totally agree with Kapione. If you are established and known as a private teacher here and in your area, and you can help, by all means that is OK. But if you you make a small amount of posts not knowing who you are with over optomistic claims then that post should be removed. Same goes for employers who can't declare who they are for sure, seeking teachers, asking for curricums, they should be removed. But of course if they declare themselves as well known employers such as BKC, language LInk, and have offered their official website then then they should be respected and accepted.

This might be a weakness with expat.ru. Employers should be clearly identified as Kosha, or they shouldn't be here. We can't have nobodies asking potential employees to send their CV's. That is dangorous to the applicants for many reasons. Employers credentials should first be checked, before they start demanding credentials from the prospective employees. As it is very likely that the anonimous employer has lesser credentials compared to the potential employee.

To summarise. Don't ask for a job, or give your details, unless you know this employer as being credible.

Bels
13-06-2010, 20:24
Why pm you for advice? Why not simply use the forum and give your advice. Isn't it better to give advice to a large volume, rather than one to one? Isn't that the whole point of a forum? To give advice to the general public. If you want to waste your time in giving advice to individuals, go ahead. But a forum is all about helping a large amount of people. I have said this many times on messages I have received privately. If it is of common help it should be on the public forum. If their is a strong need for your enquiry to be private, then it should be PM. Very logical thinking for a forum, don't you think?

after EXPAT changed the rules, and made changes with the website to make it easier

I am sure I am not alone, to use EXPAT has been made very complicated, it isnt user friendly.....both Teachers + students have posted in the wrong areas

I have voiced my opinion before , the Changes with HOW to use EXPAT sucks ,I am a member for a very long time, and I am pretty good with computers, I had to ask internal help on where things were and what to do....

as I mentioned above, I am not alone

I agree and disagree with Bels, most teachers do not get rich.... but many teachers who stay long term(more than 2 years) must be good with business, I think they realize schools do not care for their welfare or the students, thats why they become independant teachers ....when this happens you need to know business or you wont survive here long,Im surviving here just about 5 years(I should be credited with double the time) except for the conomic crisis, Im comfortable,my families needs are met ,we 3 are healthy ,things are ok..... remember, YES things can be better , but they also can be worse , so as I said , things are ok ;-)
Newbie Teachers who need advice only need to PM me for advice

enjoy your day people

Bels
13-06-2010, 20:53
Now to you Exik. Schools and education? The problem is that for many parents, is that they are finding it extremely difficult for their childrenn to enter top shools in Russia at the age of eleven for example. Those tests often include Russian, English as a foriegn language, maths, and perhaps perhaps music depending on the gymnasic school as they call it. Of course there are English tutors wanting to grab this market, and to seek those students in need to pass such entry tests, and this has become one of my major aims in business to supply such a service for such a big market.

Then there are those teenage students who need to pass the state exams in Russia. If they don't?? Straight to the Army!!! One of the most important subjects may ell be English, but will include Maths and Russian. They have to p**** but the problem is that the state schools that they are, and the tuition they receive, might well not match up to the standards required. Hence they they need extra tuition to match up to such standards. And that is where private tuition comes in.

Now talking about internatiol schools in Russia, for Expats??? I'm sorry I don't have much faith in them. But perhaps I would go for the American shool as the best, I think even British diplomats' children go there. The problem is, that this place is always fully booked, and very difficult to get in. Just like my business as from September to May:)

Offering lessons can be done in http://www.expat.ru/forum/lessons/ and if you seek a specific type of lessons, you can also do it there. Anyone offering lessons in the School & Education forums risks deletion of their post here, without any notice.

Many thanks
Site Admin

ReallyGreatConcerts
14-06-2010, 00:43
Employers should be clearly identified as Kosha, or they shouldn't be here.

Y'what???

J.D.
14-06-2010, 07:05
Y'what???

You are in way over your head.
Why don't you start off with something simpler, like
asking the weather in Britian to explain itself.

Bels
16-06-2010, 23:56
Y'what???

Imagine nobodies asking for your persoanal details such as CV etc on the internet or on a forum such as expat.ru. Should you not know the credentials of that language shool first? hould you not know who they are and what their past credentials are like, before you give your personal details as a teacher? So Tome dick or Harry offers you a job with a nice salary and nice house and medical etc? Of course you would if it was BP , shell, or whatever.

I am looking for native EFL teachers, please pm me. I offer $3000 a week, a nice house in the rublevka area of Moscow. Bring your wife and children, as your health and children's education will be seen to. But I want to know all about you, including you bank details.

YES! YEH WHAT!

Judge
20-06-2010, 13:20
100% right Bels,and some teachers wonder how schools get hold of their phone number or email address.

swelis
07-12-2012, 22:51
I have noticed an ad of a guitar teacher at this place. As well as yoga teacher ad. So it should be deleted?
I guess it will be fair..

robertmf
07-12-2012, 23:10
If this is not a good suggestion, please define "sucks".

I like post #5

celia
09-12-2012, 14:49
I think what the writer meant was "kosher", in the sense of legitimate and genuine:

ko·sher (kshr) also ka·sher (kä-)
adj.
1. Judaism
a. Conforming to dietary laws; ritually pure: kosher meat.
b. Selling or serving food prepared in accordance with dietary laws: a kosher restaurant.
2. Slang
a. Legitimate; permissible: "consolidating noneditorial functions of the papers, which is kosher" (Christian Science Monitor).
b. Genuine; authentic.