PDA

View Full Version : where to get the business visa?

smchilds
01-02-2010, 09:53
I know this has been discussed already but I can't find anything. I am American and would like to get the 3-month Russian visa in a country other than the US. Is there any up-to-date information (personal experience) about getting the visa in a nearby country. And how long did it take, how much did it cost (is it official or you have to bribe)? Thanks so much.

TZski
01-02-2010, 10:04
Try calling these guys - Russia Visa | Russian Travel Trips & Excursions | Visa Service | Travel Visas & Popular Tours to Russia by Russian National Group (http://www.russia-travel.com/) - they've always treated me right.

I spoke with them recently and I kind of remember them saying you have to apply for a 3 month visa in your home country now...

I'm pretty sure I read about the new changes here on this forum too...

:mooooh::mooooh::mooooh:

Visalink
01-02-2010, 17:12
Hi,
In general you can get a Russian visa in your home country only. You may apply for Russian visa in another country if you have some kind proof of a residence in that country. But if you are American citizen it is not a problem to get Russian visa in any neighbouring country (Ukraine, Finland etc.).

Visalink team
visalink-russia.com

smchilds
01-02-2010, 20:49
So - technically you can't get a visa in a country other than the US (as a US citizen). But you can get it in Ukraine or Finland? How? Paying a bribe? Calling someone there and arranging it in advance?

Visalink
02-02-2010, 14:33
You are quite right. The Russian embassy in Ukraine is widely known for its corrupt practices. Any way, many of our clients go there because it lets them to get new Russian visa very quickly.
You may call to our office + 7 495 6270915 and ask Oxana. She will give you a reference to the local Ukrainian support agency "working" with the Russian consulate.

Our best,
Visalink team

amynator
03-02-2010, 18:09
So I'm in the process of getting a new 3-month business visa right now in Kiev, and I have good news! I was very nervous about having to pay a bribe or buy residency status because I needed my visa in, well, less than 10 days. I just prayed and showed up to the consulate with the usual documents, and the woman working in the visa section didn't ask me anything about residency. She asked, "when would you like it?" I answered, "the sooner the better". I could have gotten it in one day, but it was quite expensive. I paid $250 to get in in three days. I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow, so I don't technically have it yet. I just hope that it's ready as they said it would be.

I think they can't guarantee you a visa in less than 10 days if you're not a resident, but if they aren't very busy, why not do it faster and make some more money? I really don't understand this business about having to wait 10 days, if they can make more money offering an express service. Also, from what I've heard, the smaller the embassy/consulate, the better your chances of getting a visa quickly. Some consulates don't see Americans very often and are willing to give you the royal treatment. Of course, in Kiev this is not always the case. Maybe I was just lucky. Also, everything I said applies only if you're an American. I have no idea about the laws for citizens of other countries.

Bels
03-02-2010, 18:53
There isn't a problem ingetting a visa in any country, and I don't know where all the stories are coming from. In fact checkup a russian embassy in any country you like and you will see for yourselve on how to apply as an American. Try any of the EU for example. The only difference for an American is that they have their own separate application forms, and the application will take 10-14 days. For an EU national it will be a same day or 24 hour process.

To prove my point. Check the instructions of application of a visa. You will find the Russian rules of application apply in general, no matter what Russian Embassy you chose. Enjoy a short stay in London for example, whilst waiting for your application to be processed.

Have a look what The Russian embassy states about The Russian Embassy in London. Russia Visa (http://ru.vfsglobal.co.uk/generalrequirements.aspx)

No outside agents are needed apart from purchasing your invitation. It is too easy to do by yourself, hence no need for another agent

And whatever you do. Don't offer a bribe in London, as this is considered a serios offence. and you for sure might well go to prison for a long tiime.

So I'm in the process of getting a new 3-month business visa right now in Kiev, and I have good news! I was very nervous about having to pay a bribe or buy residency status because I needed my visa in, well, less than 10 days. I just prayed and showed up to the consulate with the usual documents, and the woman working in the visa section didn't ask me anything about residency. She asked, "when would you like it?" I answered, "the sooner the better". I could have gotten it in one day, but it was quite expensive. I paid $250 to get in in three days. I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow, so I don't technically have it yet. I just hope that it's ready as they said it would be.

I think they can't guarantee you a visa in less than 10 days if you're not a resident, but if they aren't very busy, why not do it faster and make some more money? I really don't understand this business about having to wait 10 days, if they can make more money offering an express service. Also, from what I've heard, the smaller the embassy/consulate, the better your chances of getting a visa quickly. Some consulates don't see Americans very often and are willing to give you the royal treatment. Of course, in Kiev this is not always the case. Maybe I was just lucky. Also, everything I said applies only if you're an American. I have no idea about the laws for citizens of other countries.

smchilds
04-02-2010, 00:04
Wow, the information is so mixed. For example, I contacted someone recommended earlier and was sent the following information:
Russian Visa Requirements - The latest changes in visa regulations for Russia (http://www.russianvisa.org/news071022.html)

So, I suppose the best idea is to just call the embassy/consulate? Not too interested in going to Kiev, or London for that matter. I was hoping maybe to do it in Berlin or Istanbul. Well, I will contact them and see.