PDA

View Full Version : Do you eat bread with macaroni?

Willy
31-01-2010, 19:55
I know Russians like bread but do you have to eat it with everything?

I know some people who can not understand how I would not want to eat bread with macaroni or pelmeni with potato or rice. They also wonder why they are getting fat.

robertmf
31-01-2010, 20:05

I know some people who can not understand how I would not want to eat bread with macaroni or pelmeni with potato or rice. They also wonder why they are getting fat.

Perhaps you should make poll ?

Хлеб is very important to Russian ! More important than rice or macaroni. The only thing more important than хлеб is sugar beet to make vodka :11629:

For me, I do not need carbohydrates, so I do not have both bread and starch (rice, macaroni, pasta, potato ) at meal. One is okay, but two is excessive calories. Точно :)

Calculate your BMI—Standard and Metric BMI Calculators (http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminojs.htm)

Vadim
31-01-2010, 20:15
Pelmeni without brown bread make no sense :-) Must be served also with vinigar and accompanied by a reasonable volume of cold vodka.

mistygris
31-01-2010, 20:27

My mom is totally not russian, but she eats bread with every meal, specially when it's macaroni, rice or pelmeni

Willy
31-01-2010, 20:28
My mom is totally not russian, but she eats bread with every meal, specially when it's macaroni, rice or pelmeni

Is your mom really fat?

Willy
31-01-2010, 20:31
Pelmeni without brown bread make no sense :-) Must be served also with vinigar and accompanied by a reasonable volume of cold vodka.

Vodka and beer are BREAD!

But do you eat bread with everything?

How much meat do you eat?

mistygris
31-01-2010, 20:31
Is your mom really fat?

absolutely not!!!!!

Willy
31-01-2010, 20:40
absolutely not!!!!!

Good for her!

Vadim
31-01-2010, 20:52
No Willy, there is no connection between eating bread or meat and someone being slightly overweighted. I do eat bread a lot, as well as meat. However, I'm of an average built. Tall, but not big. Maybe eating habits make just a little or zero impact because I'm a smoker, but I do not think so as all my family members are of the same bodily constitution, and most of them do not smoke, but have the same or at least similar cuisine preferences. I eat much bread, often eat it with macaroni, and always with potato and pelmeni. I do not live in Russia any more, it makes things harder in an aspect of staying loyal to national cooking tradition, but I do my best to follow it wherever is possible. By the way, guess which airline I like more? Swiss Air. They always ask who needs extra bread. A million per cent Russian friendly carrier. Aeroflot doesn't care by the way. Shamefull. :-)

Willy
31-01-2010, 21:00
No Willy, there is no connection between eating bread or meat and someone being slightly overweighted. I do eat bread a lot, as well as meat. However, I'm of an average built. Tall, but not big. Maybe eating habits make just a little or zero impact because I'm a smoker, but I do not think so as all my family members are of the same bodily constitution, and most of them do not smoke, but have the same or at least similar cuisine preferences. I eat much bread, often eat it with macaroni, and always with potato and pelmeni. I do not live in Russia any more, it makes things harder in an aspect of staying loyal to national cooking tradition, but I do my best to follow it wherever is possible. By the way, guess which airline I like more? Swiss Air. They always ask who needs extra bread. A million per cent Russian friendly carrier. Aeroflot doesn't care by the way. Shamefull. :-)

I guess it's how much you eat, Russia I think eat less.

If your not in Russia, bad for you! Russia does have the best bread!

Vadim
31-01-2010, 21:10
There are lots of Poles in the UK since 2004 and plenty of Polish corner shops now. And they sell bread of nearly the same qualities. Sometimes, it's possible to shop in ASDA and - if lucky enough - to buy nearly Russian bread, no kidding, very similar. Stolichnaya is for sale in ASDA and NETTO supermarkets :-) The real problem I experience is finding pelmeni, but ravioli could become an acceptable replacement in emergencies :-)

robertmf
31-01-2010, 22:00
There are lots of Poles in the UK since 2004 and plenty of Polish corner shops now. And they sell bread of nearly the same qualities. Sometimes, it's possible to shop in ASDA and - if lucky enough - to buy nearly Russian bread, no kidding, very similar. Stolichnaya is for sale in ASDA and NETTO supermarkets :-) The real problem I experience is finding pelmeni, but ravioli could become an acceptable replacement in emergencies :-)

:question: What is the difference between pelmeni and piroshniki :question:

MissAnnElk
31-01-2010, 22:02
:question: What is the difference between pelmeni and piroshniki :question:

aREN'T PELMENI BOILED? aND WHEN I WORKED FOR A rUSSIAN RESTAURANT, THE PIROSHKI WERE FRIED.

Oops . . . sorry about the caps . . . too lazy to go change them.

libelula
31-01-2010, 22:24
Willy, good question)) My father for example eats bread almost with everything and my mom and i sometimes make fun of how he can eat bread with pasta or potato)) as for me i also can't understand it, i think it takes place in the stomach that can be filled with smth more tasty))

Willy
31-01-2010, 22:39
Willy, good question)) My father for example eats bread almost with everything and my mom and i sometimes make fun of how he can eat bread with pasta or potato)) as for me i also can't understand it, i think it takes place in the stomach that can be filled with smth more tasty))

Yes something more tasty or with more vitamins.

I bet he likes beer too?

Willy
31-01-2010, 22:43

Don't Poles buy wheat from Russia?

robertmf
01-02-2010, 00:04
Don't Poles buy wheat from Russia?

:Loco: The Americans sell wheat to Russians. Russians then mark up the $price$ 40% and sell wheat to the Poles. :badclown:

tvadim133
01-02-2010, 00:54
I do not think that Russia needs wheat this year at least (there has been over production of it this summer).

As for bread, I stop eating it at all, though black is very useful.

the point is russians get used to eat it since ancient time, due it was the main food for many people (full of neccessary vitamins for health).

Now it is more and more "hamful" especialy with meat for weight, because of ways of spending energy (people now are not so active, they do not spend a lot of energy for physical activities as it was in 19 century for example).

So bread is good for breakfast, that is all.

Willy
01-02-2010, 00:54
:Loco: The Americans sell wheat to Russians. Russians then mark up the $price$ 40% and sell wheat to the Poles. :badclown:

Sorry Russia is the biggest grain exporter in the world right now and grains of much higher standard.

Vadim
01-02-2010, 01:09
I didn't know that. I remember we imported wheat from the USA at Brezhnev-Reagan times. Nice to find that Russia is less import dependant these days. In Tsarism times it was completely self sufficient. Rouble was stable and valued much.

robertmf
01-02-2010, 01:20
Sorry Russia is the biggest grain exporter in the world right now and grains of much higher standard.

USDA Briefing Room - Wheat: Trade (http://www.ers.usda.gov/briefing/wheat/trade.htm) :thumbsup:

Vadim
01-02-2010, 01:50
Guys you can be both right. Grains are not necessarily wheat. :-)

Vadim
01-02-2010, 01:51
I mean, grains have wider meaning.

mistygris
01-02-2010, 09:13
I bet he likes beer too?

in my country we say: one beer equals to slizes of bread. so i enjoy more beer than bread :beerbros:

SV1973a
01-02-2010, 10:12
As far as I know Russians are the only people to eat bread with sushi.
Two years ago I was with a group of Russian customers in Japan. Our Japanese hosts had booked us an exclusive Japanese restaurant (very nice, very expensive and real Japanese food).
The Russians asked for bread, which of course they did not have in a Japanese restaurant.
The people of the restaurant had to go to a supermarket in the neighbourhood to buy some bread.
Personally, I thought it was quite inappropriate of our Russian customers to ask for bread at that moment. If they would have asked me as responsible for the group, I would have politely replied `you should understand that that is not possible in this restaurant`, but they asked the Japanese waiter, and they are afraid to have to say `no`, so they went through great lengths to satisfy their customers.
I already have a lot of experience taking Russian customers to restaurants, and many have resulted in fine stories.
We took a group to Madrid and asked our Spanish collegues where to eat. He directed us to a `paella-restaurant`, where they place the dishes in the center of the table, and everybody can take whatever he wants. The Spanish collegue was embaresed and said he would never even dare to take business relations to such a restaurant. Yet, our Russian customers simply adored the restaurant and the food.
Another time was in Dubrovnik, where we booked a really fance restaurant. They brougth us home-made pasta with veal marinated in white wine, and a truffle sauce. Very expensive. Our customer`s reaction; they had eaten `macaroni po-flotskiy`.
Already plenty of times I have informed our management that for Russians they should not look for fancy restaurants. The Russians like it plain and simple, in a good atmosphere.

tukiva
01-02-2010, 11:30
i eat bread with cheese or sausage,like a sandwich. Never else.

FatAndy
01-02-2010, 11:59
2 SV1973a:
As far as I know Russians are the only people to eat bread with sushi. - maybe "some Russians" is more correct. I don't and my family too. I know a lot of other people who don't.

`you should understand that that is not possible in this restaurant`, - why? Customer wants bread, customer gets it.

they asked the Japanese waiter, and they are afraid to have to say `no`, so they went through great lengths to satisfy their customers. - big bold + to Japanese waiter.

said he would never even dare to take business relations to such a restaurant. - it is his humble opinion, right? :)

Yet, our Russian customers simply adored the restaurant and the food. - after hard day people just wanted to eat ;)

Our customer`s reaction; they had eaten `macaroni po-flotskiy`. - very tasty thing BTW, if cooked properly. :)

in a good atmosphere. - the keyword! ;)

I eat bread with meat, vegetable salads and soups (well, vodka w/o black bread has no sense at all), never with potatoes, pastas and pelmeni. But I can collect tasty sauce with a piece of bread. :D

tukiva
01-02-2010, 18:53
i am so hungry now that i would eat bread with makaroni, bread with pelmeni, with pies,with sussi etc.

Vadim
01-02-2010, 19:06
Khleb vsemu - golova... A proverb which makes everything clear :-)

FlakeySnowballer
01-02-2010, 19:27

I do not eat bread:irule:

Vadim
01-02-2010, 19:31
Loosing your roots then...

FlakeySnowballer
01-02-2010, 21:10
Loosing your roots then...

But keeping fit:11033:

OlgaT
01-02-2010, 21:21
I think it was about me - I eat bread with everything, including pelmeni and macaroni. If I eat something without bread I do not feel I am full. If I ate sushi, most likely I would eat them with bread, but I don't like sushi.

The only thing I eat without bread is watermelon. So if one day you will invite me for dinner, please do not forget to buy some bread - or I will be very much disappointed. :reindeer:

FlakeySnowballer
01-02-2010, 21:26
I think it was about me - I eat bread with everything, including pelmeni and macaroni. If I eat something without bread I do not feel I am full. If I ate sushi, most likely I would eat them with bread, but I don't like sushi.

The only thing I eat without bread is watermelon. So if one day you will invite me for dinner, please do not forget to buy some bread - or I will be very much disappointed. :reindeer:

Are you slim?

OlgaT
01-02-2010, 21:29
Are you slim?
50 kg (height is 165 sm). ;)

robertmf
01-02-2010, 21:34

:nut: You need to eat more хлеб. Pies and milkshakes, too.
Calculate your BMI - Metric BMI Calculator (http://www.nhlbisupport.com/BMI/bmi-m.htm)

What are your measurements ? Are there any ?-LMFAO :question:

(Robert runs ducking for cover)

OlgaT
01-02-2010, 21:42
:nut: You need to eat more хлеб. Pies and milkshakes, too.
Calculate your BMI - Metric BMI Calculator (http://www.nhlbisupport.com/BMI/bmi-m.htm)

What are your measurements ? Are there any ?-LMFAO :question:

(Robert runs ducking for cover)
Ok, to be more precise my weight is 50.9 kg - perfect according to your calculator. :12115:

robertmf
01-02-2010, 21:46
Ok, to be more precise my weight is 50.9 kg - perfect according to your calculator. :12115:

Yadda yadda yadda. Answer my question about measurements, (пожальста) :bong: :)

OlgaT
01-02-2010, 21:55
Yadda yadda yadda. Answer my question about measurements, (пожальста) :bong: :)

Robert, the forum is not about me, and I don't want to hijack it. ;)

Moreover, if you know everything there will be nothing that you could learn, and your life will become very boring. :11629:

:11030:

FlakeySnowballer
01-02-2010, 22:17

It is great:10475: I know one girl she is 170 cm high and weight is about 50 kg but she always eats sweetnesses.

tvadim133
01-02-2010, 22:29

I would like to eat bread (i like black one dramaticaly, you know), but I know for sure it harms me.

At the moment I am of 70.2 kg weight and 170 of height, but I do not feel slim, though my size is 48 and I have got some muscles even (but the "stomac" can not "disappear").

Beer?

robertmf
01-02-2010, 22:37
Robert, the forum is not about me, and I don't want to hijack it. ;)

Our Willy and Vadims will not care if you hijack this topic if they find your measurements !-:fireworks:

Moreover, if you know everything there will be nothing that you could learn, and your life will become very boring. :11629:
:11030:

Подумал, :bowdown: что ты говорила же like Russian woman же. We need audio clip of you saying that sentence above :) :soccer: No wonder Russian men :drink::drink:

tzaritsa
01-02-2010, 22:54
I eat some bread sometimes but dont eat makaroni and pelmeni.

Willy
02-02-2010, 04:56
I eat some bread sometimes but dont eat makaroni and pelmeni.

Your not Russian!

tukiva
02-02-2010, 11:36
The only thing I eat without bread is watermelon. :reindeer:

btw, if watermelon is what i think(green outside, red inside-i always mix melons and wqtermelons)- have you ever try to eat itwith bread? it's very very nice taste, in the southern prts of our country they always eat wm with bread ,suppa!:clown:

tukiva
02-02-2010, 11:39
willy,can you clean your pm box, i want to send you pm

OlgaT
02-02-2010, 11:45
btw, if watermelon is what i think(green outside, red inside-i always mix melons and wqtermelons)- have you ever try to eat itwith bread? it's very very nice taste, in the southern prts of our country they always eat wm with bread ,suppa!:clown:
I've never tried... maybe I should one day. But, to tell you the truth, I don't like watermelons... (I am from the northern part of our country). ;)

OlgaT
02-02-2010, 11:50
Beer?
Vadim, I didn't get whether it was a usual question or a rhetorical one. :question:

If the former, then yes, I do drink beer, mostly in summer - but it doesn't [-]help[/-] make me fat anyway. I just can control my weight. :11158:

kandinsky
02-02-2010, 13:18
I dont eat bread, even like morning bread and butter. But some my friends never forget buy bred for evening. I think it is like tradition.

tvadim133
02-02-2010, 13:56
I dont eat bread, even like morning bread and butter. But some my friends never forget buy bred for evening. I think it is like tradition.

I don't eat bread, even a sandwich with butter in the morning either.

And my parents never forget to buy bread and to eat it for breakfast, for dinner, fo supper and so on.

It is really like a tradition and a habbit, especially for old people.

They say that bread helps stomach to work....

orlando771
02-02-2010, 14:48
i am not Russian and i eat bread with macaroni, and i am not fat. and i have seen people who eats mcdonalds "healthy food" and they are fatter than me. as long as i like it i will even eat bread with pizza.

libelula
02-02-2010, 20:35
Yes something more tasty or with more vitamins.

I bet he likes beer too?

It would be very typical but in fact you are wrong..my dad drinks mostly wine)

Benedikt
02-02-2010, 20:43
good dark bread is NOT fattening, neither are pasta or potatoes.it is what we put ON the bread, IN the pasta and ON TOP of the potatoe, that is a killer.
and for that you can check out any website. that will tell you i am not posting bull.

Castillo
02-02-2010, 22:12
When we go to visit my in-laws, it's always the same: She says that I must learn to eat bread, and He that I must learn to drink cognac. ah, and they don't understand why i put everything in the micro-way before eating it.

Mosserv
02-02-2010, 23:24
I guess in Japanese restaurants here in Russia they should provide bread as well) I miss bread especially with soups)

tvadim133
02-02-2010, 23:36
they don't understand why i put everything in the micro-way before eating it.

Is there smth wrong with food at your relatives' place or they do not cook well?

tvadim133
02-02-2010, 23:39
I guess in Japanese restaurants here in Russia they should provide bread as well) I miss bread especially with soups)

In some they serve (aftre so many requests).

But in majority of cases, they can bring some white bread (as I saw).

To be frank, I do not order bread, so I can be mistaken.

Periwinkle
03-02-2010, 11:38
Italian Americans eat Italian bread with spagetti:lick:

Willy
03-02-2010, 16:26
Italian Americans eat Italian bread with spagetti:lick:

Yes garlic bread with lots of butter!

gek roken
03-02-2010, 17:11
i think russian students eat everything with bread. ))
i used to eat macarony with sugar, when i was a child, but nothing was tasty unless it sweat those days ))

FatAndy
03-02-2010, 17:18
2 Willy:
Yes garlic bread with lots of butter! - aha, and BEER!!! ;)

tvadim133
03-02-2010, 17:21
i think russian students eat everything with bread. ))
i used to eat macarony with sugar, when i was a child, but nothing was tasty unless it sweat those days ))

Oh yes, you made me remember that I ate macarony with jam when I was a child. and you will not believe it: tomato with concentrated sweet milk.

BTW. in some countries there are quite "strange" preferences besides:

1. meat with jam (?)- I will not say (remember) in what country it is widely used;

2. cucumbers with honey !!!!

nbogaard
03-02-2010, 17:30
I eat garlic bread with pasta.

gek roken
03-02-2010, 17:38
cucumbers with honey is a great idea )))) lol
i tried to boil cucumber when i was a child. )) i was wondering why dont we do anything with cucumbers? )) so i tried.. )
a piece of advice - dont try to do that )))

Judge
03-02-2010, 20:55
When we go to visit my in-laws, it's always the same: She says that I must learn to eat bread, and He that I must learn to drink cognac. ah, and they don't understand why i put everything in the micro-way before eating it.

Not only how to eat bread,but also how to smell it..:jawdrop:

Castillo
04-02-2010, 10:34
Is there smth wrong with food at your relatives' place or they do not cook well?

I like hot food (not hot as in spicy, well that too)
They prepare Delicious Russian plates, but many of the cold plates I'm just not use to, and warm'em up a little bit on the microwave (which is blasphemy)

FatAndy
04-02-2010, 10:35
It's not usual for cognac, but for vodka, Judge... ;)

FatAndy
04-02-2010, 14:33
many of the cold plates I'm just not use to, and warm'em up a little bit on the microwave (which is blasphemy) - are they shocked by the procedure?

tvadim133
04-02-2010, 14:43
Just the first what could come to my mind, if I saw this, is that a man wanted to desinfect the meal. :)

But I like when the meal is not cold as well and I always ask to warm it up.

FatAndy
04-02-2010, 14:45
Disinfection usually beind done by appropriate liqiud. :)

shep
04-02-2010, 14:50
Why not? bread and macaroni - it is the same thing!

tvadim133
04-02-2010, 14:53
Why not? bread and macaroni - it is the same thing!

May be you can find some differences (forms, tastes, how thee are cooked, how many cal...(kdg) in 100gr of meal, how and which they can be served and so on?

Willy
04-02-2010, 19:44
Disinfection usually beind done by appropriate liqiud. :)

Vodka will do that and it's bread!

Castillo
04-02-2010, 19:50
many of the cold plates I'm just not use to, and warm'em up a little bit on the microwave (which is blasphemy) - are they shocked by the procedure?

No, they just say that is a cold plate and you suppose to eat it cold.

And I'm not trying to disinfect anything LOL its just that i like warm food.

mistygris
04-02-2010, 19:53

1. meat with jam (?)- I will not say (remember) in what country it is widely used;

2. cucumbers with honey !!!!

i once tasted apple with peanutbutter, but long time ago and it was tasty! (but that was when i was in the states...)

Willy
04-02-2010, 22:04
i once tasted apple with peanutbutter, but long time ago and it was tasty! (but that was when i was in the states...)

How about pork chops and apple sauce is that okay?

tvadim133
04-02-2010, 22:06
How about pork chops and apple sauce is that okay?

where is it used? I ate exactly what you said!

robertmf
04-02-2010, 22:12

:whisper: A peanut butter + banana sandwich is a good combination

Willy
04-02-2010, 22:15
where is it used? I ate exactly what you said!

In the U.S. mom made all the time!

robertmf
04-02-2010, 22:15
Oh yes, you made me remember that I ate macarony with jam when I was a child. and you will not believe it: tomato with concentrated sweet milk.

lamb served with mint jelly is common. So is applesauce with pork chops.

The "good stuff" though is limberger cheese and scrapple !! :drink: :drink: Maybe a haggis for dessert with fried witchetty grubs (ask an Aussie). :thumbsup:

is4fun
04-02-2010, 22:23
Is there such a thing as a sandwich without bread? (ok Sushi is next best), however, I love the stuff! Russia has some of the chewiest and heaviest хлеб in the world. I can't live without it. I also love it with a generous spread of mayonnaise or butter with salmon roe. Yummy!!!!

I'm on my way to the kitchen this moment!

Willy
04-02-2010, 22:59
Is there such a thing as a sandwich without bread? (ok Sushi is next best), however, I love the stuff! Russia has some of the chewiest and heaviest хлеб in the world. I can't live without it. I also love it with a generous spread of mayonnaise or butter with salmon roe. Yummy!!!!

I'm on my way to the kitchen this moment!

You are very right Russia does have the tastest хлеб !

Grumpygummy
05-02-2010, 04:02

My gran eats white bread with everything, even with watermelon.

FatAndy
05-02-2010, 11:10
2 misty:
apple with peanutbutter, but long time ago and it was tasty! - try half of green apple with _thin_ layer of Russian mustard (Balashihinskaya) on cutted flat surface. It is super!

2 is4fun:
Is there such a thing as a sandwich without bread? - of course! So called Russian sandwich is a big piece of smoked sausage (like salami) and a thick layer of black caviar on it. We do it in bad starved years if there is deficiency of bread. If year is really bad we use cheaper red caviar on sausage, if terrible - then cheese.

tvadim133
05-02-2010, 17:04
Is there such a thing as a sandwich without bread? (ok Sushi is next best),

One and well known variant of sandwich without bread:

instead of bread - an apple covered with sausage or chese or ham.

robertmf
05-02-2010, 21:45
2 misty:
apple with peanutbutter, but long time ago and it was tasty! - try half of green apple with _thin_ layer of Russian mustard (Balashihinskaya) on cutted flat surface. It is super!

2 is4fun:
Is there such a thing as a sandwich without bread? - of course! So called Russian sandwich is a big piece of smoked sausage (like salami) and a thick layer of black caviar on it. We do it in bad starved years if there is deficiency of bread. If year is really bad we use cheaper red caviar on sausage, if terrible - then cheese.

:question: Please, what's the cyrillic for that Russian mustard, Balashihinskaya ? Is that second 'h' supposed to be 'x' kh ?

Russians and Turks have the best bread in the world for ..er.. northern peoples' tastes. Hearth ovens. It's more difficult to find the hearth baked bread here in the States; and it most certainly is expensive.

tvadim133
06-02-2010, 02:20
:question: Please, what's the cyrillic for that Russian mustard, Balashihinskaya ? Is that second 'h' supposed to be 'x' kh ?

Russians and Turks have the best bread in the world for ..er.. northern peoples' tastes. Hearth ovens. It's more difficult to find the hearth baked bread here in the States; and it most certainly is expensive.

something between KH and H

Saratoviar
06-02-2010, 14:08
This is a funny question .
Becouse before i got together with my russian beauty , i wouldnt consider eating macaroni with bread .
Now i am eating bread with all .
:trampoline:

FatAndy
06-02-2010, 15:51
2 robertmf:
Is that second 'h' supposed to be 'x' kh ? - yes, Балашихинская. Балашиха is Moscow's East suburb. Black bread from Russia should be available in shops where xUSSR emigrants live, for example at Brighton Beach.

evelina
06-02-2010, 15:56
when we don't think about extra weight - why not? it's possible and tasty eat bread with sausage, cheese spread or with salted fat (сало) when you eat anything, maybe any pasta at the same time;)

Swordfish90293
06-02-2010, 22:34

On the contrary, bread has much to do with weight in addition to other factors. White bread (read rice, pasta, potatos...white starch) gains you weight, while a rough brown bread like rye can provide fiber and helps keep one slim and one's metabolism strong.

But with every meal...I don't think so. It's like eating garlic bread with pizza or pasta...it just ain't right...

Protein is the best...try the Shashlik at Rays...

Yunona
06-02-2010, 23:39
lots of guys eat bread with everything
the habit dates back centuries, times of poor crops, lack of cattle - the more bread you have the less meat you eat. bread being carbohydrates fills up your stomach - no need for protein (for some time)

Snegurochka
06-02-2010, 23:43
Bread and macaroni is no worse the the English chip baguette...yumm

England being the seond most obese nation in the world bears no relation to this fact..

Willy
07-02-2010, 00:14
lots of guys eat bread with everything
the habit dates back centuries, times of poor crops, lack of cattle - the more bread you have the less meat you eat. bread being carbohydrates fills up your stomach - no need for protein (for some time)

Rice beat the U.S. in Nam.

OlgaT
07-02-2010, 00:23
Rice beat the U.S. in Nam.
Willy, if I were you I would start celebrating your birthday. Looks like it's time.

Happy Birthday! :celebrate::10518:

Willy
07-02-2010, 00:38
Willy, if I were you I would start celebrating your birthday. Looks like it's time.

Happy Birthday! :celebrate::10518:

Thank!

I'll drink some bread to that!

shurale
09-02-2010, 15:18
[QUOTE=Willy;618368]I know Russians like bread but do you have to eat it with everything?

sicQUOTE]

I'm not an ETHNICAL Russian, but I live in Central Europe (according to the Russian Minister of Defence it is Eastern) and I can't get used to eating soup without bread. That is can manage, but it brings me considerably less satisfaction. Then the waiters/waitresses here as the rule bring it without any bread and they never ask whether I need it. Moreover, despite being here for a really long time, I keep forgetting to ask it before I order it.
Sometimes (well, I don't eat in restaurants often) it takes them a helluva long time to bring you bread (after they brought the soup) and I like eating lukewarm soup with bread as little as eating hot soup without bread. Then they often bring too much bread after you ask them (well, I need just a slice or two not half a loaf) and then they usually charge much too much for it. Like almost as much as for the plate of soup, what the heck????
If the Russian shop near my house didnt sell now and then Borodinsky bread, I would probably be back to Russia.

cchastje
09-02-2010, 17:26
Do not know what happened to the Czechs!
A good Russian friend of mine eats no bread at all, how strange I thought?
In Serbia no one would dream of serving or enjoying a meal without bread... As a result, my genetics compel me to bake bread several times per week. Thank goodness for bread machines (although I always bake in a standard oven)! Inspired by this thread, I'm working on a Borodinsky recipe, will let you know how it turns out.

objective
09-02-2010, 19:21
Bread with macaronni and cheese?? I don't know... seems kinda redundant to me.
But I have been known to put a dollop of jelly on my macaronni and cheese... and lots of pepper!!

Anjelina Jolie
09-02-2010, 20:04
It would be like a bread with bread ))))

Willy
09-02-2010, 22:43
[QUOTE=Willy;618368]I know Russians like bread but do you have to eat it with everything?

sicQUOTE]

I'm not an ETHNICAL Russian, but I live in Central Europe (according to the Russian Minister of Defence it is Eastern) and I can't get used to eating soup without bread. That is can manage, but it brings me considerably less satisfaction. Then the waiters/waitresses here as the rule bring it without any bread and they never ask whether I need it. Moreover, despite being here for a really long time, I keep forgetting to ask it before I order it.
Sometimes (well, I don't eat in restaurants often) it takes them a helluva long time to bring you bread (after they brought the soup) and I like eating lukewarm soup with bread as little as eating hot soup without bread. Then they often bring too much bread after you ask them (well, I need just a slice or two not half a loaf) and then they usually charge much too much for it. Like almost as much as for the plate of soup, what the heck????
If the Russian shop near my house didnt sell now and then Borodinsky bread, I would probably be back to Russia.

I too like to eat brown bread with soup, too much water in there.

Willy
09-02-2010, 22:48
Do not know what happened to the Czechs!
A good Russian friend of mine eats no bread at all, how strange I thought?
In Serbia no one would dream of serving or enjoying a meal without bread... As a result, my genetics compel me to bake bread several times per week. Thank goodness for bread machines (although I always bake in a standard oven)! Inspired by this thread, I'm working on a Borodinsky recipe, will let you know how it turns out.

I love fresh baked bread! Back home I use to do it to and just sit and eat the whole loaf!

You know I worked in a bakery once as a pilot.

I'd take the bread from one corner and pile it in the other.

But I got sick of the dough and figured I go on the loaf.

cchastje
09-02-2010, 22:55
I'd take the bread from one corner and pile it in the other.

But I got sick of the dough and figured I go on the loaf.

Oh, that is just too funny!!! You crack me up!
:rofl:

Oxan
09-02-2010, 23:33
I was born and grew in RussiaFor the first time I heard that the Russian eat dumplings with potatoes or rice. As for bread, as a rule, if a dish made of flour, the bread is not eaten.

Willy
09-02-2010, 23:51
I was born and grew in RussiaFor the first time I heard that the Russian eat dumplings with potatoes or rice. As for bread, as a rule, if a dish made of flour, the bread is not eaten.

Come over the house some day and see for yourself.

I get "what do you mean you don't want bread", KAK?

Judge
10-02-2010, 11:34
Do you eat bread with macaroni?

I have given this some thought..
Russians (most russians) just boil macaroni and don't bother with a sauce,most of the time ketchup is the sauce(yuk).. Maybe bread is a substitute for a decent sauce..Bread is filling and cheap...

Willy
11-02-2010, 09:22
I have given this some thought..
Russians (most russians) just boil macaroni and don't bother with a sauce,most of the time ketchup is the sauce(yuk).. Maybe bread is a substitute for a decent sauce..Bread is filling and cheap...

Yeah I saw someone make a pizza with ketchup, ewwww.

That's the thing, bread is cheap!

Try this one Jugde, take macaroni cooked and fry it with just one egg, wife showed me that one.

Judge
11-02-2010, 10:24
Try this one Jugde, take macaroni cooked and fry it with just one egg, wife showed me that one.

I have tried that with spaghetti not macaroni...it turns out like spaghetti pancake,it's quick, easy to make and filling..You can even put it on bread...make a spaghetti pancake sandwich ..

Willy
12-02-2010, 17:28
I have tried that with spaghetti not macaroni...it turns out like spaghetti pancake,it's quick, easy to make and filling..You can even put it on bread...make a spaghetti pancake sandwich ..

Your not putting enough spaghetti in it. It should just be little pieces of egg not a spaghetti pancake. That's why it's one egg spaghetti. But yeah it is good!

TGP
17-02-2010, 13:43
You all don't understand the main rule.

We used to have business lunch at our office once a week for our Americans bosses. They ordered pizza, or sandwiches, or something from McDonalds, all that with a lot of mayonaise (is the spelling correct?), sauses; and then they had somethins like cheesecake or any othe cake.

But thye all ordered light coca-cola. COCA-COLA SHOULD BE LIGHT!!! Then all the rest is not important.

Swordfish90293
17-02-2010, 23:49
Thank!

I'll drink some bread to that!

I thought you don't drink bread. Do you now?

GirlOfSummer
18-02-2010, 00:40

We used to have business lunch at our office once a week for our Americans bosses. They ordered pizza, or sandwiches, or something from McDonalds, all that with a lot of mayonaise (is the spelling correct?), sauses; and then they had somethins like cheesecake or any othe cake.

But thye all ordered light coca-cola. COCA-COLA SHOULD BE LIGHT!!! Then all the rest is not important.

haha that's what i do sometimes too! large fries, big mac, and diet coke!

coca cola light brings balance and harmony into the meal and reduces the level of quilty feelings : ))

Willy
18-02-2010, 10:49

I wasn't saying Americans aren't dumb when they eat, But that's only lunch. I see it here for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The problem with Americans is they over eat, aways snacking, drinking coke light, stuffing chips in their face and watching TV.

Willy
18-02-2010, 10:53
I thought you don't drink bread. Do you now?

Not really I like,

YouTube- Tequila - The Champs [With Lyrics]