PDA

View Full Version : Visa

Newmoscovite
28-01-2010, 20:26
My visa runs out in July.

Can I get a business visa to work here self employed?

igesse
06-02-2010, 18:23

Can I get a business visa to work here self employed?In order to work as 'self employed' in Russia legally, you would need to get registered as an "individual entrepreneur", but to do that you need a Russian tax ID, and to do that you need to be registered in Russia ('propiska'). It thus ends up being a catch-22 type of situation in that - for you it seems - the short answer to your question would, unfortunately, be "no".

This is of course a simplified account and I do recommend you look into this in greater detail. Perhaps there are ways of working lawfully with/around certain things.

...and as for the not-so-lawful options, well, they are many, but none are advisable, especially for foreigners.

ilya25
07-02-2010, 11:15

Can I get a business visa to work here self employed?

biz visa does not give you a right to work - you can attend biz meeting conduct negotiations etc with a russian company that sponsored a visa
to work legally you would need work visa and or residency permit (perm or temp)
and finally you should be registerd as individual interprenural with tax authorities

annasophia
07-02-2010, 12:23
In order to work as 'self employed' in Russia legally, you would need to get registered as an "individual entrepreneur", but to do that you need a Russian tax ID, and to do that you need to be registered in Russia ('propiska'). It thus ends up being a catch-22 type of situation in that - for you it seems - the short answer to your question would, unfortunately, be "no".

This is of course a simplified account and I do recommend you look into this in greater detail. Perhaps there are ways of working lawfully with/around certain things.

...and as for the not-so-lawful options, well, they are many, but none are advisable, especially for foreigners.

Post of the year. Wish I could do more than just give you than just a tiny thanks for that concisely insightful advice.

Whoever you are igesse, please check into this site more often to dispense more of this wisdom. Expat.ru needs you. Potential expats need you.

Idiotic bureaucracy is the normal government process in all countries. In Russia it is Catch 22 squared.

amdei
08-02-2010, 01:02
Well...
Could somebody describe in few words, what "catch-22" means exactly?
General menaning is clear from context, but... :)

MickeyTong
08-02-2010, 03:40
Catch-22 is the title of a novel by Joseph Heller, about the absurdity of war.

A Catch-22 situation is one where you cannot win, due to ridiculous bureaucracy.

Bogatyr
08-02-2010, 23:51
Catch-22 is the title of a novel by Joseph Heller, about the absurdity of war.

A Catch-22 situation is one where you cannot win, due to ridiculous bureaucracy.

Specifically, where one character was trying to get out of the war by being declared crazy, but only crazy people would NOT want to get out of the war. That is the typical definition of a catch-22 situation.

Another common one is: you cannot get a job without experience, but you cannot get experience without a job.

MickeyTong
11-02-2010, 23:22
Whatever you do - you lose.