PDA

View Full Version : Managing with minimal language skills

Norwegian
27-01-2010, 07:35
Hey,

I'm considering to move to St. Petersburg pretty soon. But as for now my Russian is rather non-existent. I wonder if I can manage with it, or if I should rather postpone the move until I know more. I'm guessing that I learn more Russian living there for two weeks than for two months. But it could be a big shock as well.

Thanks!

Ian G
27-01-2010, 12:58
Don't wait! You'll learn the basics very quickly in Russia. Studying abroad is no substitute. It may be a bit of a shock, but it's a fun shock.

trebor
27-01-2010, 13:18
Hey,

I'm considering to move to St. Petersburg pretty soon. But as for now my Russian is rather non-existent. I wonder if I can manage with it, or if I should rather postpone the move until I know more. I'm guessing that I learn more Russian living there for two weeks than for two months. But it could be a big shock as well.

Thanks!

Learn the alphabet before you leave. It's looks hard but actualy quite easy.
Most expats come to Russia with no Russian. Much more fun learning the language and practising in situ.

Good luck.

MissAnnElk
27-01-2010, 14:36
Learn the alphabet before you leave. It's looks hard but actualy quite easy.

If I can do it, anyone can! That's the easy part.

FatAndy
27-01-2010, 15:03
Norwegian, don't worry. Russian is very easy, I speak it perfect since childhood...
To sharpen your skills, find language exchange partner, and visit pubs/restaurants together. Alcohol makes language easier. But don't overdoze, move slowly, but surely ;)

tvadim133
27-01-2010, 15:27
I think, that it will be easy to study Russian using models of the language system:

What I mean is that all peopel speak in common models (in usual life) in which they just insert the necessary words:

- I would like to ask (to order) to bring ( me, us) :
a. a cup (a glass) of coffee:
tea
vodka

That is the simple example, but you will not need to learn "I", "Would", "Like" but"

" I would like to ask you" then "to bring me a cup" and then the required word "tea", "coffee" or anything else.

In this case you will not need to study grammar (which is difficult and complicated for many russians even.....)

catherine7
27-01-2010, 17:26
There are many online teachers available who should be able to assist you in improving your Russian Skils.

Norwegian
28-01-2010, 00:12
Thanks for the encouraging words!

I've actually got plenty of time to learn the alphabet and get through the Pimsleur cd's before I leave anyway. Hooking up with a language partner to go to bars once in petersburg does also seem like a brilliant idea.

I'm psyched! :)