PDA

View Full Version : vegetarian in moscow

andrich
21-01-2010, 15:26
does anyone know of any good vegetarian spots in Moscow? Either exclusively vegetarian restaurants or maybe just some good places to find quality and good value vegetarian meals? I know it's asking a lot..

Ian G
21-01-2010, 16:05
Hi Andrich-
I only know of two specifically Vegetarian places. - Jagganath on Kuznetsky Most street- which is nice but I think rather pretentious and overpriced now, (it's also alcohol free which is a bit of a pain) and a little cafe called I think avocado on Chistoprudniy Boulevard- on the right as you go towards Pokhrovka Street. OK but nothing special.

Generally in Moscow there is no shortage of vegetarian options- just be careful with the soups which normally have meat in them.

'Good value'- is difficult to find in Moscow. There are cheap all-you-can-eat places but I wouldn't want to eat in them.

andymackem
21-01-2010, 16:51
There's another Avocado opened about a year ago on Gazetny Pereulok (off Tverskaya) next door to Silvers. Never been in, but my ex is a fan.

I'm fond of Jagganath, though I only go to the cafe bit, not the full-on restaurant. That seems to be reasonable value, and is good place for a lunchtime fill-up.

You might also get some good options at arab places like Sindbad (Nikitsky Bulvar, next to the U Nikitskikh Vorotakh theatre) or Fun to Do (m Krasnye Vorota, opposite the El Guacho steakhouse).

In general the ethnic places tend to have more meat-free options - Chi (m Kitai-gorod, at the top of the hill close to the polytechnical museum) is a reasonable chinese which won't break the bank.

Of course, if you eat fish you're laughing. And most carnivores would agree you've a better chance of a decent vegetarian meal than a proper bacon sandwich :(((

happiness
21-01-2010, 18:16
HEllo! Jagganath is pretty good! you can always find some vegetarian food in any of cafe and shops in Moscow.

quincy
21-01-2010, 23:00
unfortunately the few Indian restaurants (where vegetarian dishes might taste good) in Moscow are overpriced and the food isn't that great

sophieperle
26-01-2010, 18:41
yes the "help-yourself" buffet before the main restaurant at Jagannath is really handy and they have warm and nice dishes.

here is the adress: Адрес ресторана "Джаганнат" - Центр здорового общения (http://www.jagannath.ru/restaurant/contacts/)

Just when you enter the same building, on your left handside, there is a little organic/alternative shop. You can find all kind of cereals, tofu, Siberian oils and seeds...

whizkid
27-01-2010, 10:18
I would suggest you to visit the 'Venezia-Trattoria' restaurant which is 1 min walk from Pushkinskaya metro (check it in the Internet) 4/3 Strastnoy blvd.,bld.3 (Страстной ульвар 4/3,строение 3 - check it on Google maps)
I should say that this particular restaurant is one of the best in Moscow (in my opinion). at least food there is just perfect and the prices are more than reasonable for this quality (you can get big pizza Margarita for 200RUR, taglitelli with mushrooms for 370RUR and their deserts are just mmm..especially Profitroli, 170RUR and strawberry soup with an icecream,180RUR).
my point is that I've been in a lot of restaurants in downtown Moscow (I mean expensive ones) but none of them is quite like Venezia (I mean the combination of quality and rates. for instance, you can get Profitroli in Kalina Bar for 300 or 400RUR and it's just not good, or taglitelli with mushrooms in this Itallian restaurant in Kozitsky lane for 700 or 800 RUR and it's just not good either).

almost everything I tried from Venezia' menu was just excellent, prices were reasonable and there were a lot of things for me as a vegetarian to try!!!
anyway, as a vegetarian myself I should say that it's extremely difficult to find a good spot with a good menu for vegetarians in Moscow. but note that you can always find in almost every restaurant pizza 4 cheese or Margarita, spaghetti, sushi with vegetables an so on and so forth.BUT don't expect the high quality or reasonable prices. I'd say that you will find it reasonable or worse))

as for the spots with vegetarian products-Jagganath is the place. you can always find vegetarian sausages there))) but that's it. I don't know any other place in whole Moscow where you can find it. few months ago it was possible to find these sausages in 7thContinent (on Old Arbat) but they've decided to stop selling them (shame on them!!!)

I hope this will help
feel free to contact me if you need help!

best,
Kate Alekseeva

MoscowExpatSupport.com

alnitak
29-01-2010, 23:55
Hello, try restarant "Avocado" in Chistoprudny boulevard, Turgenevskaya metro station, tel. (495)-921-7719, but there is no smoking in there, just in case.

aroundiemiru
07-02-2010, 14:12
Another place you should check out is Grabli. It's a help yourself buffet style place with a decent number of veggie options. Everything is written in both Russian and English, so you never have to guess what you're eating. Be careful with the soups though - I know that the borsch has meat in it. I haven't tried the others, and I can't remember if they list all of the ingredients or not. Prices are very reasonable - you can easily eat a filling meal for 200-300r. There are a few locations, although I've only been to the one on ul. Pyatnitskaya - metro Novokuznetskaya (dark green) or Tretyakovskaya (orange). (ул. Пятницкая, д. 27 - м. Новокузнецкая, Третьяковская) It's a 2 minute walk from either of these metro stations. Here's a link listing all of the restaurants. «Грабли» Грабли (http://grabli.ru/restaurants?PHPSESSID=18e68d26d7e9661075ec68c3edef325b).

IvanInMoscow
24-02-2010, 04:18
Not exactly a place to eat, rather a place to buy vegetarian (mostly soy-based meat-replacement) products. Surprisingly decent prices and good quality. I am an occasional customer, never had any regrets.

www.soyka.ru Their website has (rather rudimentary) English section.

www.soyka.ru/about/map.shtm The map to their retail store.

maps.yandex.ru/?text=%D0%A0%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%81%D0%B8%D1%8F%2C%20%D0%9C%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B2%D0%B0%2C%20%D1%83%D0%BB%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%B0%20%D0%98%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%8B%20%D0%9B%D0%B5%D0%B2%D1%87%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%BA%D0%BE%2C%206&sll=37.491934%2C55.790221&sspn=0.043909%2C0.018555&ll=37.491934%2C55.791176&spn=0.015514%2C0.006468&z=16&l=map Retail store location on YandexMaps.

TD
24-02-2010, 05:49
Here's a few more tips:

The veggie soy meat at 7th Continent usually appears during Great Lent which has just started, so keep your eyes out for it.

Put K Cebe has a decent food section, and a small cafe - I have been buying stuff there for years --> http://www.inwardpath.ru/sait/3/0.shtml

Most Russian supermarkets sell TVP - Textured Vegetable Protein, or dry soy meat - just a add some water and seasoning. Look in the section for diabetics.

miraxel
14-05-2011, 15:38
Also not expensive and great chinese cuisine place is East Buffet (eastbuffet.ru) Novoslobodskaya,16 There's a lot vegetarian meals...

winterland
15-05-2011, 00:28
Does anyone know where to buy Soy Bean Curd (ToFou) in the city center?

BananaBender
15-05-2011, 11:08
A new vegetarian cafe recently opened on Lavrushinsky Pereulok, opposite the Tretyakov. It's called Sok and you can read about it here:

themoscownews.com/food/20110505/188643921.html

Also, a falafel roll spot opened in the winter outside Usachevsky market at Sportivnaya:

journo.ru/updates/?p=665

I've also read that an American chain called Loving Hut has opened up at the Kapotili shopping centre at Rechnoi Vokzal (ул. Правобережная, 1б, ТЦ «Капитолий» +7 (495) 743 49 84 Время работы: 09:00 – 22:00)
- see lovinghut.ru

And there's another fast-food veggie spot called Ganga in the food court at the Start mall at Dinamo (Ленинградский проспект, строение 37, торговый центр "Старт", 3-й этаж, "Ресторанный дворик" проезд: метро "Динамо", 1-й вагон из центра, 10 минут пешком на север)
- see ganga.cakshu.ru

BoZz
15-05-2011, 14:50
Does anyone know where to buy Soy Bean Curd (ToFou) in the city center?

I find it most of the times in the store that I shop in, i.e. Azbuka Vkusa

Will
18-05-2011, 09:49
There's a second Jagganath opened now on Zemlynoi val, over the ring from kurskaya metro, I assume the prices are as in the kuzinetskty most one, but they're not too bad and the selection is pretty good. You just have to be able to tolerate endless Hindu pics and Russians dressed as medieval Tibetan holy men

Lubidulia
05-11-2011, 01:34
Hi! I'm new in Moscow and I am vegetarian too.
I am very lucky because I work really close to Gazetny Pereulok and I can go to Avocado to eat the business lunch almost every day :D

But I my problem is with the variety of fruits and vegetables in the supermarket and other products that I can't find in "normal" supermarkets - e.g. soya drink, tahini, curry powder, etc.
Maybe you know some market where I can find this kind of products and variety of fresh fruits and vegetables??
Thank you!!

ajaykapatia
05-11-2011, 10:10
You can try vegetarian food in Indian restaurants like Khajuraho,Maharaja and Talk of the Town etc.But they are not cheap.Food is very good.

Periwinkle
05-11-2011, 20:17
Hello, try restarant "Avocado" in Chistoprudny boulevard, Turgenevskaya metro station, tel. (495)-921-7719, but there is no smoking in there, just in case.

I have had salads there - pretty good and fresh.

mathurabhi2000
05-11-2011, 22:10
does anyone know of any good vegetarian spots in Moscow? Either exclusively vegetarian restaurants or maybe just some good places to find quality and good value vegetarian meals? I know it's asking a lot..

You can visit some Indian rest like Maharaja (near Kitai Gorod) or Khajuraho (near World Trade Centre). Both offer decent Indian veg. Khajuraho has an Indian veg set lunch of Rb250/-.