PDA

View Full Version : Good TV pacakges for expats

drwho
19-01-2010, 08:44
Can anyone suggest a good TV package service for Russia that has English TV on it rather than dubbed TV.

I heard about NTV are there others that don't cost a fortune? I heard of hot bird but that seems mostly full ***t.

Thanks for any feedback.

K69
14-07-2010, 22:45
Can anyone suggest a good TV package service for Russia that has English TV on it rather than dubbed TV.

I heard about NTV are there others that don't cost a fortune? I heard of hot bird but that seems mostly full ***t.

Thanks for any feedback.

Well, althoug Hot Bird consists of "mostly full sh**", it also has main official European channels in its package, like, for example, BBC World News, main German, Italian, French channels, etc (+ a lot of other ***t, indeed ;). And it is for free, in contrast to NTV...
Personally for me 2-3 international channels are more than enough...

tvadim133
14-07-2010, 23:14
Akado.

There are many programs with options to switch off and on english or Russian translation.

The payment is not huge (I pay 500 rur per month excluding a sport package and a children package, though still watch sport channel which are included into my main 3 packages).

They give a modem free of charge and do connection via a phone cable.

Thus if you rent a flat, there will be no problem just to cancel the contract.

The only issue I have is that in case you are late for payment for the next month, they switch off all channels at once (once I returned from business trip and could not have paid in time)

Anton Bourbon
15-07-2010, 02:38
The most embarrassing issue I had with Akado was when all of a sudden I found out I owed them a 3 months' subscription fee for a package of additional TV channels I had never subscribed to. Not only did not I want to subscribe to those channels, not only did not I watch those channels, I did not even know those channels existed.
Of course I was naive and thought it must have been some sort of a technical fault. Calling to customer support was very sobering. No it wasn't a technical fault. No they didn't beg my pardon for charging me for the channels about which I didn't know that they existed. Their reaction was like `So... you don't watch these channels? And aren't going to?.. Ok, we will cancel your subscription to them...' And I was warned that that money they tried to steal from me, the subscription fee for those channels for last 3 months, will be returned to my balance in some future time, but not sooner than in 2 weeks.

Paying to Akado you support a very corrupt business.

drwho
15-07-2010, 06:05
I can suggest expat.tv I cant find the link now but its just 14 pounds per month for all UK listings. I've been using for 6 months and watch the IT crowd and all the other of my favs on it.

If you want the link let me know. :10220:

taijet
15-07-2010, 10:27
deleted