PDA

View Full Version : moving my Russian husband to the US...

smchilds
11-01-2010, 21:58
So, I am just going to start the process of trying to move with my husband back to the states. I haven't started the petition yet, but I was wondering if people have any tips. I see that I need a copy of the marriage certificate, which is in Russian. Will a Russian-notarized translation be acceptable, or does it have to be translated in the US?
Thanks!

Chadahooga
20-01-2010, 12:29
As far as I have been able to find it takes 3 years to get all the paperwork for a green card completed. You also need to be able to prove that you can support him. I made the same mistake and 2 years later he is still not out of Russia. Best Advice I can give is get comfortable in Russia it is going to be a while.

nbogaard
20-01-2010, 13:26
It is not very difficult. Go to American Citizens' Services at the Embassy and they have information on it. I would give you my information but it is 11 years old now so you had best check. The entire process took less than two months.

nbogaard
20-01-2010, 13:30
Also, b/t/w, my recollection is that the marriage certificate translation does not even need to be notarized. I also think that the green card issue is extremely expedited for foreign spouses of American citizens but I may be wrong on that.

nbogaard
20-01-2010, 13:39
Also, and again b/t/w, if you are working for an American company over here and if you expect to be here at least another year and your company will give you a letter to that effect, there is an exception in the INS code where you apply, they do various background checks, your spouse has an interview with the INS and they ask American citizenship type questions (the questions and correct answers are on a website somewhere) and the time necessary to become a citizen is waived. My recollection is that the citation to the INS provision is 215 (d).

My wife and I were married in Russia in January of 1999, we had our first visit to the US in May (when she brought all of the immigation stuff with her), we went to the INS attorney and filled out all of the necessary documents anbd she was notified in early November that she should schedule her interview when we next went to the US in December. We did so, she passed and was sworn in as a US citizen in January. If you are going to be for another year and if you work for an American company, it's a great deal.

liddle
01-05-2010, 13:45
So, I am just going to start the process of trying to move with my husband back to the states. I haven't started the petition yet, but I was wondering if people have any tips. I see that I need a copy of the marriage certificate, which is in Russian. Will a Russian-notarized translation be acceptable, or does it have to be translated in the US?
Thanks!

how come you married a russian? how did you get together to the point of marriage? it's a very rare case vs the opposite - russian female married to american:plane:

elya
16-06-2010, 09:21
I think a lot has changed in 11 years... you need to apply for an IR-1 (form I-130 should get you started). If you have permission to live in Russia and have lived here for the past six months continuously, you can apply at the consulate instead of USCIS (there's no such thing as INS anymore), which shaves a couple months off the standard process. Standard process takes about 8-12 months. Applying at the consulate is referred to as "Direct Consular Filing" on immigration forums, but you shouldn't refer to it that way to the embassy.

Note that you will need to prove you can support him financially, and need to establish domicile in the U.S. before they will grant the visa. If your income from your current job will stop when you move to the US, you can't use it to prove support and will need a co-sponsor. The domicile part can prove especially tricky. I suggest you go to forums such as visajourney.com and familybasedimmigration.com to find a lot more info on the process. Good luck!!

Your Russian marriage certificate will likely need an apostille and a notarized translation. Russian-notarized should be fine as long as you get the apostille.

(And I'm also engaged to marry a Russian man :-) @liddle - it happens!)

LindsayIlin86
17-04-2011, 18:29
GO WITH K3 OR K4 VISA
K3 VISA IS FOR HUSBAND AND WIFE THAT WEAR MARRIED OVERSEAS
AND K4 VISA IS FOR MARRIED PEOPLE WITH KIDS
WITH THEM TWO TYPES OF VISA THEY CAN HELP YOU GET A GREEN CARD
WHEN IN THE USA AND THIS TWO TYPE VISA ARE NOT LONG TO GET YOU JUST NEED TO PROVE YOU HAVE INCOME

FatAndy
18-04-2011, 11:10
Probably CapsLock is sticked in... ;)
Use the caps sparingly...

Sarindar
25-04-2011, 16:50
The K-3 and K-4 visas, while still technically existing, are now much worse than the CR-1 or IR-1 visas, depending on the situation.

The process takes anywhere from 6-12 months after you get the documents ready and apply (If you use IR-1 or CR-1, this is the time it takes to enter the country and get a green card). Obviously 12 months is the typical limit but if red flags come up or you screw things up it can of course take longer). I recommend going to visajourney.com (as Elya said). It's a good site that has a lot of people with experience in these issues.

Also, as Elya said, your situation is complicated by the fact that the USC spouse doesn't have domicile in the US and probably won't have verifiable income that will continue after coming to the US. You may have to go to the US first and set things up for him.