PDA

View Full Version : Which laptop is better?

OlgaT
07-01-2010, 16:53
I am buying a laptop and need your advice. I thought about Asus (Asus K40IJ WiMAX), but have just been told that they are not reliable - Sony and Toshiba are better. Now I am confused - which one is better? Thank you

tvadim133
07-01-2010, 17:01
I am buying a laptop and need your advice. I thought about Asus (Asus K40IJ WiMAX), but have just been told that they are not reliable - Sony and Toshiba are better. Now I am confused - which one is better? Thank you

Toshiba is very good and more affordable.

TD
07-01-2010, 17:05
I would probably only ever buy an Asus if it was one of the plastic netbook models - something they have excelled at lately. For a proper notebook computer, you might be better off with a Toshiba if you are looking for a friendly price point - Sonys are nice but quite a bit more expensive than most brands generally. Make sure you get Windows 7 and not Vista!

If money is no object, you might want to try a Mac :-)

OlgaT
07-01-2010, 17:11
I would probably only ever buy an Asus if it was one of the plastic netbook models - something they have excelled at lately. For a proper notebook computer, you might be better off with a Toshiba if you are looking for a friendly price point - Sonys are nice but quite a bit more expensive than most brands generally. Make sure you get Windows 7 and not Vista!

If money is no object, you might want to try a Mac :-)
Money is an object. :) And I don't want a netbook. Asus notebooks are really worse than Toshiba? What a disappointment...

TD
07-01-2010, 21:11
Asus notebooks are really worse than Toshiba? What a disappointment...

I am not saying they are worse, just what my personal preference is. Asus is the top manufacturer of Motherboards - pretty much every high end computer I have built has one in it. Their laptops might be perfectly fine, but making laptops is not the main business they are in, whereas Toshiba, Dell, and Sony to name a few have HUGE divisions that do nothing but make laptops so I trust their products just a bit more.

One of the best places I have found to research what ordinary people think about a wide range of products is Amazon (http://amazon.com) - try doing a search on a few models of Asus Laptop there and see what people have to say about them.

mistygris
07-01-2010, 21:17
What about dell? not that bad....

TD
07-01-2010, 21:17
Here's a nice Lenovo over at Beliye Veter for 18k -- Lenovo G430-4KB-A (http://www.digital.ru/goods/notebooks/lenovo/266241.htm)

Bels
07-01-2010, 21:47
I went for the Toshiba in a Moledozniya shop. Not satisfied, as all the could offer was windows vista with no further help. No English of which can be be a big probelem for expats, and no desre to assist or help. Take what see or forget it. Bad attitude as far as I am concerned. It was also recommended by experts that those Toshibas are recommended provided they had extra ram. unfortunately the retailers could not help yet again. And the didn't have the big screen latest model of Toshiba.

For me I am getting a bit peeved off with windows now. I want to go now fro the Apple store. All mny friends who have never moaned about Macintish and swear blind about, but I know a lot of windows users who curse windows. So hence my next windows will be from the apple shop. All I want is to use a computer just like a TV or DVD, and no hassles or language problems.That's it. And Mackintosh and Apple promise that.

Why on earth these shops are restricting our language, especially English, I don't know.

Bels
07-01-2010, 21:54
To summarise, reflecting carefully on my next buy. It has to be the Apple shop with Mackintosh software, with English and hopefully options of other languages. No restrictions, as thsuch restrictions are ridiculous, expecially when the software is originally English. As my Russian wife says! We don't want translated garbage of which she doesn't as a Russian doesn't even understand!

OlgaT
07-01-2010, 22:02
Here's a nice Lenovo over at Beliye Veter for 18k -- Lenovo G430-4KB-A (http://www.digital.ru/goods/notebooks/lenovo/266241.htm)
Thanks TD! This laptop is exactly what I need - not very big - 14'', less than 2,6 kg and in Belyi Veter - I am going to buy a laptop there. :)

But it was you who didn't recommend Vista, and Lenovo - I haven't heard about them any good things. Looking at the price - it is suspiciously cheap...

I have found an article (http://ahtim.com/which-laptop-brand-the-best/) which says who are more reliable - Lenovo is only on the 6th place, while Asus is no. 1.

Dell - I've heard they break down very often...:(

Artyom
07-01-2010, 22:02
Spent two hours today at Savyolovsky market looking for a balanced notebook for a friend. Price tag was around 20 k, purpose - playing games at home. Well, its amazing what you can get today for this kind of money. So we got Asus K50AB (http://market.yandex.ru/model.xml?CMD=-RR=9,0,0,0-PF=1801946%2BEQ%2Bsel%2B1871447-PF=1801946%2BEQ%2Bsel%2B1871127-PF=1801946%2BEQ%2Bsel%2B1870655-PF=2142398548%2BLT%2Bsel%2B728%2e836426-PF=2142398534%2BGT%2Bsel%2B15%2e1-PF=2142398530%2BEQ%2Bsel%2Bx264719036-PF=2142398530%2BEQ%2Bsel%2Bx1032396760-PF=1801946%2BEQ%2Bsel%2B1870655-PF=2142398356%2BEQ%2Bsel%2B920270835-VIS=1F2-CAT_ID=432460-EXC=1-PG=10&hid=91013). Its a 2 GHz newest Turion X2, with 3 GB of RAM, 250 GB disk topped by 15.6" screen. What can I say... for 19 k with two years warranty its a bargain. Strangely I disagree that Asus is less realiable today than it was over last years... I will see them all in our laptop repair lab in one year anyway, when they will start showing up after warranty is over :) So far the best laptop above all is a three year old Lenovo model... now available only on ebay, what a shame.

So! Go Market.Yandex.ru (http://market.yandex.ru/) for comparison shopping - put all your desired parameters, and get through hundreds of models down to only a few that fit you exactly. Notebooks on yandex.market are right here (http://market.yandex.ru/catalogmodels.xml?CAT_ID=432460&hid=91013)

And good luck, Olga.

mistygris
07-01-2010, 22:08
Dell - I've heard they break down very often...:(

interristing to hear.... I bought one some months ago, i'll be starting knocking on wood! :soccer:

OlgaT
07-01-2010, 22:20
So! Go Market.Yandex.ru (http://market.yandex.ru/) for comparison shopping - put all your desired parameters, and get through hundreds of models down to only a few that fit you exactly. Notebooks on yandex.market are right here (http://market.yandex.ru/catalogmodels.xml?CAT_ID=432460&hid=91013)

And good luck, Olga.
Thanks Artyom! But the more I compare different models the more I get confused - even you say that Asus is not that bad, but Lenovo is better. :rant:
OMG, it's so difficult - to choose a laptop.

OlgaT
07-01-2010, 22:21
interristing to hear.... I bought one some months ago, i'll be starting knocking on wood! :soccer:
Do not worry Mistygris, just believe that yours is the best. ;)

Artyom
07-01-2010, 23:06
the more I compare different models the more I get confused

Do you need WiMax? Then I would go ahead with Asus K40IJ WiMax you've chosen at the first run - it does look nice and slim as we've had it as a choice today, and did look at it for awhile... Other model of your choice could be Lenovo G550 WiMAX - price starts from 15 k and yes, it is fast machine!

cenikab
08-01-2010, 01:48

Asus - not reliable
Sony – too expensive (sometime very slow)
Dell - lately dropped on quality
Apple - too many problems
HP - is very good
Toshiba – is good as well

flowers
08-01-2010, 05:27
Thanks Artyom! But the more I compare different models the more I get confused - even you say that Asus is not that bad, but Lenovo is better. :rant:
OMG, it's so difficult - to choose a laptop.

I would definitely go with Lenovo ThinkPad. I have one now and I love it. Also, think about this: corporates use them a lot. It used to be IBM ThinkPad, then Lenovo bought this division from IBM. A Toshiba is also good. Used to own one, can't complain.

Andy B
08-01-2010, 06:54
I'm currently using a Sony Vaio (have been for 2 years) and am impressed by it. The battery has just needed to be replaced but that happens I guess. One problem I have had is the touch pad sometimes reverses (i.e. if you slide up, the cursor moves down etc) and this does seem to be a common problem if you search online, that Sony refuses to acknowledge as their problem, but it only happens every so often and if you plug the mouse in the problem goes away.

Used to have Dell, and apart from it being a bit big and bulky (the Sony is much sleeker and sexy looking) it was a great workhorse of a machine. I only had one problem with it, but the Dell on-site warrenty was excellent (don't know how good it is in Russia though... I used it in Malaysia) and they were quick and efficient in fixing the problem and even replaced the screen (I didn't ask them too) with a new one as they had one with them anyway.

For me, weight and battery life is important as I am often very mobile and work "on the go" a lot.

OlgaT
08-01-2010, 11:34
Do you need WiMax?
I am not sure I need it since I am a lamer in all this wireless connections and do not know yet how to use them and which one is for what.

I would definitely go with Lenovo ThinkPad. I have one now and I love it. Also, think about this: corporates use them a lot. It used to be IBM ThinkPad, then Lenovo bought this division from IBM. A Toshiba is also good. Used to own one, can't complain.
I have looked at them - I've found only big ones - 15,4'' and more, I need a smaller one - about 14'' would be enough - and it's important.
But maybe I really should think about Lenovo...

I'm currently using a Sony Vaio (have been for 2 years) and am impressed by it.
Used to have Dell, and apart from it being a bit big and bulky (the Sony is much sleeker and sexy looking) it was a great workhorse of a machine. I only had one problem with it, but the Dell on-site warrenty was excellent (don't know how good it is in Russia though... I used it in Malaysia) and they were quick and efficient in fixing the problem and even replaced the screen (I didn't ask them too) with a new one as they had one with them anyway.

For me, weight and battery life is important as I am often very mobile and work "on the go" a lot.
Thanks Andy, I've heard a lot about Vaio - but I am afraid I can't afford it now.
Dell - maybe I am just biased, since while studying I had a case study which demonstrated the principles of their work - it's revealed that they have some problems in customer service. Maybe it's good in Malaysia, but I am going to use it in Canada and am not sure they have a good support there (I have heard complaints from Canadians).

So far, Toshiba, Asus and Lenovo. Then I guess my final choice will depend on the shop assistant... :)

Thanks a lot everybody for your help.

Sasha girl
08-01-2010, 13:35
I like SONY.
It has got very good screen, and it is always a good quality.
But it depends which characteristics you are looking for in your laptop.

OlgaT
08-01-2010, 17:34
I've got it!

Toshiba - there were only big sizes
Lenovo - they have no international guarantee

So, long live Asus K40IJ WiMAX!

TD
08-01-2010, 19:44

Congrats! Hope you have a long and trouble free experience with it :-)

deepthroat
18-01-2010, 13:37
I'm surprised to hear you say Lenovo has no int'l warranty. I have had my ThinkPad T40 for 6 years and 2 month.
I was flying out of London during the attempted terror attack in and thus had to check in my lap-top which wasn't very good. Lenovo fixed it pronto here in Moscow and I send a Thank You note to Lenovo.

I have ever been anything than VERY pappy for my IBM/Lenovo and have used them at work because I requested them.

Am now in the process of getting a new one for home (T500)

I'm having the English version of MS operating system and Windows 7 installed and have a choice of leaving the Russian version OS (which I won't as I see no reason to try start learning Russian computer language).

Anyway I can HIGHLY recommend LENOVO. It's a great product and excellent after sales service.:10806:

FatAndy
18-01-2010, 14:25
2 deepthroat:
Don't mix ThinkPad corporate (former IBM) and Ideapad home/SMB (newly created by Lenovo itself) lines. They even have different service centers.

Nevertheless, I have two Ideapads at home (my netbook S10 and daughter' G430) and one Y510 at office and have no problems with them. Moreover, they're friendly enough in upgrade sense - bottom "doors" for memory and HDDs are easily accessible.

In the past I had TP T60 and problem with display which was fixed by ASC in Moscow in 1 week (6 days to order LCD and make customs clearance and 1 day, indeed 50 min to replace it, tighten all screws, clean interior by vacuum cleaner and wipe keys). So aftersales service is good indeed.

OlgaT
18-01-2010, 17:19
I'm surprised to hear you say Lenovo has no int'l warranty.
That is what the shop assistant told me. Maybe just because he wanted to sell Asus, not Lenovo since the former was more expensive - I don't know. Anyway, the issue is closed and now I have another one - to sell my PC. ;)

discostar23
18-01-2010, 18:58
My last two computers have been toshibas and I can't say anything bad about the computer but I can say tonnes of bad stuff about windows vista. (I hate it!) My computer is 3 gigs of ram and runs well. Be sure that you check what processor you get and how much ram...really the brand name of the computer doesnt make that much difference. It is the processors that do.

OlgaT
18-01-2010, 19:41
My last two computers have been toshibas and I can't say anything bad about the computer but I can say tonnes of bad stuff about windows vista. (I hate it!) My computer is 3 gigs of ram and runs well. Be sure that you check what processor you get and how much ram...really the brand name of the computer doesnt make that much difference. It is the processors that do.
Well, at first you said you didn't like Vista and then to check a processor. I didn't get how they connected - operation systems and processors.

PS. It's Windows 7 in my lovely laptop with Intel Pentium processor. :)

TD
18-01-2010, 20:27
It's Windows 7 in my lovely laptop with Intel Pentium processor. :)

Windows 7 is great. I never did install Vista on any of my computers. After about 3 months haven't had a single system crash or blue screen with 7. The only bug I have found so far is that windows explorer hangs every now and then when right clicking to copy files.

discostar23
18-01-2010, 20:48
Well, at first you said you didn't like Vista and then to check a processor. I didn't get how they connected - operation systems and processors.

The operating system is not connected to the processor. It is best to go with an intel processor most reliable. I have heard good things about windows 7.

PS. It's Windows 7 in my lovely laptop with Intel Pentium processor. :) this is good!

OlgaT
18-01-2010, 21:07
this is good!
I am glad that you liked it. ;)

FlakeySnowballer
19-01-2010, 11:42
Do you need WiMax? Then I would go ahead with Asus K40IJ WiMax you've chosen at the first run - it does look nice and slim as we've had it as a choice today, and did look at it for awhile... Other model of your choice could be Lenovo G550 WiMAX - price starts from 15 k and yes, it is fast machine!

I would like suggest you
Acer Aspire 4810TG-734G32Mi LX.PK402.098 SU7300 1.3 4096 320 DVD-RW WiFi BT cam Win7HPx64 14" 2.01 описание фотографии (http://www.nix.ru/autocatalog/acer/acer_notebook/Acer_Aspire_4810TG734G32Mi_LX.PK402.098_SU7300_1.3_4096_320_DVDRW_WiFi_BT_cam_Win7HPx64_14_2.01_90176.html)
MSI X-slim X340-011RU 9S7-135214-011 SU3500 1.4 2048 320 WiFi BT cam VistaHP 13.4" 1.33 описание фотографии (http://www.nix.ru/autocatalog/notebook_microstar/MSI_Xslim_X340011RU_9S7135214011_SU3500_2048_320_WiFi_BT_cam_VistaHP_13.4_1.33_90324.html)

deepthroat
19-01-2010, 12:59
So OlgaT, let's all hear which one you decided on:coffee:

OlgaT
19-01-2010, 13:42
So OlgaT, let's all hear which one you decided on:coffee:
I've already said which one I chose. And by now I am 100% satisfied, can even say that I've fallen in love... ;)

I've got it!

Toshiba - there were only big sizes
Lenovo - they have no international guarantee

FatAndy
19-01-2010, 13:49
2 OlgaT:
can even say that I've fallen in love... - laptopophils between us? :jawdrop:

OlgaT
19-01-2010, 13:55
2 OlgaT:
can even say that I've fallen in love... - laptopophils between us? :jawdrop:
:shame: Looks like that...

mandywilliams
25-01-2010, 13:05
I would probably only ever buy an ACER if it was one of the plastic netbook models. APPLE are nice but quite a bit more expensive than most brands generally.

FatAndy
27-01-2010, 11:38
Buying Apple (and Sony BTW) you don't buy the device or instrument - you buy image and|or way of life. ;)

Summarizing - better one is that, which suits you on exterior, capabilities, performance, price and whose service center is polite, fast, reliable and located in the next building.

IGIT
28-01-2010, 16:11
Make me go try an Apple. Yes an apple. :cheerleader:

FatAndy
29-01-2010, 12:44
It's heavy overpriced here. Better to buy in US.

Willy
29-01-2010, 22:32
It's heavy overpriced here. Better to buy in US.

You are really cheap aren't you.

Remember you get what you pay for.

Bels
29-01-2010, 23:02
Am I getting confused. is apple mackintosh? In which case you are buying a brand not mixed with other companies, and no need to to pay extras. Such as defragmenting problems or extra separate antivirus softwares, with no hardware problems as they own the whole lot. I have never heard of, or met a user who knocks a Mackintosh. Time for second thoughts. As we all want to just use a computer, just like a TV or DVD player, without constant hassle and problems. Time for a rethink.

Now another problem. expat.ru is no longer showing new posts. And this post won't reach new posts now as it would have done in the past. This post as many other posts are no longer hitting the new post site. What has happened to expat.ru as a forum?

alexeyber
30-01-2010, 07:04
Hello Olga, I've sold plenty of them as for my experience I can say that:
Asus is more affordable, and reliable.

* Acer - not reliable, poor cooling and the battery may be gone in a year
* ASUS - affordable, reliable
* HP - pricey, but relaible.
* TOSHIBA - almost like hp, but more targeted to home users.
* IBM was nice, now it is LENOVO which is bottom of the price segment, no statistics yet
* FUJITSU-Siemens - bad

Good luck!

FatAndy
30-01-2010, 17:57
2 Willy:
You are really cheap aren't you. Remember you get what you pay for. - thank you for valuable info, Willy. Having free minute, compare prices on Apple products in RF and US. ;)

2 alexeyber:
Regarding Acer - do you sell only Aspire and Extensa lines, no TravelMates? :)

Regarding Asus - your impression refers to K line too?

Regarding Lenovo - Ideapads - yes, agree, but what can you tell about Thinkpads (not SL line, but all others)?

Willy
31-01-2010, 13:42
[QUOTE=FatAndy;618193]2 Willy:
You are really cheap aren't you. Remember you get what you pay for. - thank you for valuable info, Willy. Having free minute, compare prices on Apple products in RF and US. ;)

Do I get to add in air fair for the U.S Apple products.

You've been away to long, see here we find a friend with a friend who sells Apple products and get a DISCOUNT!

FatAndy
31-01-2010, 15:17
If you carry yourself, then no. If shop sends to you, it costs some money, but less than that delta.

we find a friend with a friend who sells Apple products and get a DISCOUNT! - aha, 5% :D

Alex26
31-01-2010, 18:23
buy lenovo`s small and beautiful with picture on it and Youta chipset inside for broadband internet service.

jasmine
02-02-2010, 08:22
For me the laptop of HP is good...

Seano90
04-02-2010, 16:50
Olga,

Ask yourself the question what do you want the notebook to do for you first as most people make the mistake of choosing a brand before there needs, like business or personal, films/music or documents and spreadsheet and Office based or on the move etc etc

Some of the latest netbooks are larger with 12"1 TFT like the Lenovo (ex IBM) S12 for example. Its light, got a full size keyboard. Its the right one for someone whos on the move a lot. drawback, no DVD rom

If you are based in the one location most of the time then consider a bulker 14 or 15 inch screen.

Warranty support is another thing to consider if you are based in Moscow then you are OK make sure all parts are covered. If you purchase abroad you are unlikely to get any warranty or Support.

Hope that helps

s

OlgaT
05-02-2010, 22:34
My dear friends! Thanks for your advice, but I bought a laptop the next day after I'd written the first post. :wavey:

FlakeySnowballer
05-02-2010, 23:16
My dear friends! Thanks for your advice, but I bought a laptop the next day after I'd written the first post. :wavey:

OlgaT please don't disturb our conversation :lick:

OlgaT
05-02-2010, 23:23
OlgaT please don't disturb our conversation :lick:
Who disturbs your conversation, FlakeySnowballer? I am just explaining to Seano90, for example, that I don't need it anymore. Flakey, please, do not enrage me. Thanks.

FlakeySnowballer
05-02-2010, 23:53
Who disturbs your conversation, FlakeySnowballer? I am just explaining to Seano90, for example, that I don't need it anymore. Flakey, please, do not enrage me. Thanks.

OMG:devilish:LoL gone to New-Vacuki:devilish:

MarcoHH
06-02-2010, 17:38
Would suggest Apple :-)

stas981234
07-02-2010, 11:36
Sony VAIO is great, if you have enough money.
I use MacBook and HP, both are great :)