PDA

View Full Version : Parks, Museums "tourist" entrance fee :(

Sebstg
04-01-2010, 02:42
Hi,

I'm quite surprised that I'm always being charged 3 times to regular entrance fee to some parks / tourist places..

As expatriate, my working permit wasn't sufficient :/ Is there any document which can work, aside of learning Russian which will take time ^^

Thanks!

robertmf
04-01-2010, 04:33
Hi,
, aside of learning Russian which will take time ^^

Thanks!

I had the same thing happen to me in Kiev Summer outdoor Kino. When I went to enter with shorts on, the babushka said, "ne kulturnij" I just laughed and said, "Eto ne vazhno" in a German accent.

Benedikt
04-01-2010, 08:52
take a russian girlfriend and let HER buy the tickets,you pretend to tie a shoelace, fiddle with the camera or do something else. just keep quiet and do not go near the cash desk. the 'medusas' behind there can smell a foreigner from 100 miles away and you still will be charged...:):):)

Hi,

I'm quite surprised that I'm always being charged 3 times to regular entrance fee to some parks / tourist places..

As expatriate, my working permit wasn't sufficient :/ Is there any document which can work, aside of learning Russian which will take time ^^

Thanks!

RIKO
04-01-2010, 13:29
As expatriate, my working permit wasn't sufficient :/ Is there any document which can work, aside of learning Russian which will take time I have found that most times if you explain that you live and work in Russia they are sympathetic and will let you in on the local ticket price. There is no personal incentive for them to charge the higher price. You do however that to explain your position in Russian to show at least some degree of authenticity.

tvadim133
04-01-2010, 18:29
It is really, so the official price for foreign tickets is higher then for local in some attraction (it is announced on boards next to the cash desk).

In some case, prices can be the same (for example, to my surprise. the price is not different to Kremlin and high for local people).

I do remember that in some other countries when I traveled, I faced the same so you will not consider it to be a real discrimination.

I can tell you that 12 years ago, in Moscow there were two menus in some restaurants: with normal priced in Russian, with prices 2-3 times higher in English ( :) ).

BTW, I once bought ice cream on the stree in Turkey for 5 USD, though the price for "locals" was less then 1USD.

And that was illegal but happenned! :)

What is good, tickets become more and more of the same level for all tourists....

RIKO
04-01-2010, 19:50
I do remember that in some other countries when I traveled, I faced the same so you will not consider it to be a real discrimination. In poor countries the rationale for a lower price for locals is usually to make the particular facility more accessible to the (poorer) locals (rather than being designed to screw foreigners). Russia is now a G8 country and frankly they should outlaw what is essentially a third world practice. One can accept that dual pricing may have had some merit during the 90s when museums etc lost most of their state funding overnight but it is now way out of date. I imagine that the number of foreigners visiting these attractions must be a tiny fraction of the total number of visitors.

tvadim133
04-01-2010, 19:58
I faced the same in France and in another country in EU (I do not remember (is France poor?).

I agree that it was done when even in Moscow salaries were 200-300 USD per month....

At least this "discrimation" is still only in some (there are less and less) museums.

And I think, they will change it very soon like in Kremlin.

Benedikt
04-01-2010, 21:12
and one $ was 1 Euro and they did not want to take their funny money the turkish Lira. So i explained to the shopkeepers, in the hotel and in the bazaar that Turkey is not a member of the EU (and hopefully never will be one) neither a USA state so they HAVE to accept their currency. And since there were one shop next to the other one, i walked out from one and the shopkeeper next door could overhear our conversation easily, everything was done out in the open, i got what i wanted.:11088: it was not high season anymore, shoppers were few, and i was on the longer end of the bargaining stick. They DID make their profit, i have nothing against it, but i hate being taken for a ride.

spmoscow
04-01-2010, 22:15
It is really, so the official price for foreign tickets is higher then for local in some attraction (it is announced on boards next to the cash desk).

In some case, prices can be the same (for example, to my surprise. the price is not different to Kremlin and high for local people).

I do remember that in some other countries when I traveled, I faced the same so you will not consider it to be a real discrimination.

I can tell you that 12 years ago, in Moscow there were two menus in some restaurants: with normal priced in Russian, with prices 2-3 times higher in English ( :) ).

BTW, I once bought ice cream on the stree in Turkey for 5 USD, though the price for "locals" was less then 1USD.

And that was illegal but happenned! :)

What is good, tickets become more and more of the same level for all tourists....

good that i was not here 12 years ago:-) but yes at most places specially museums,galleries,etc foreigners have to shell out extra bucks!!!Anyways i am not much of artistic guy so i am less impacted :D

ReallyGreatConcerts
05-01-2010, 00:14
In fact the rationale for charging foreigners extra is that local people have supported these museums, theatres, galleries etc through the taxes (local and national) that they have paid - and visitors have not.

If you are working here, you need an Akkredicionaya Karta (Accreditation Card). You have to apply for it, your employer should be able to help you do so. It is worth having, because not only does it give you "the local price" on museums etc, it enables you to get a Health Insurance Certificate for free treatment in hospitals etc. Even if you have Health Insurance for private healthcare, if you are taken ill while on a trip to another city etc, this basic healthcare can be invaluable, and ensure you receive emergency treatment.

tvadim133
05-01-2010, 01:12
Then the majority theatres are supported by Tax, so when they do not do any differences in price for local and for foreigners?

The transport system in Russia is quite the same (supported by residents of locals), so why a "Metro ticket" costs the same for all (why not to take a bit more (2 times mopre) from even not muscovites)?

By the way, some kidengarden (schools) are supported from residents' taxes, why not to take less taxes (3-5 rubles) from those who do not have children?

You know, the logic is that there should not be any discrimination or I would say "differentiation" in price forming.

Prices should be more or less equal and then there can be discounts, loyalty programs and so on (for example: only this month: all people came from Germany can visit us 3 for 2).