PDA

View Full Version : First impressions

meljomur
21-09-2003, 17:55
We just arrived in Moscow on Friday and I have already gone through a whole variety of emotions. First I thought the airport was horrible, not the best first impression for visitors and not much of a welcome home for residents. What is going on with the strange ceiling (was it so they could keep an eye on people)???!!!

Admittedly we have done mostly touristy things so far (City bus tour today) and we are staying at a fairly westernised hotel, so I guess it is difficult to form a fair opinion yet.

We are beginning to view apartments tomorrow and I am really excited to see some of the different neighborhoods.

All in all I can see why most of you love this city so much, I think (once I have learned the language a bit) I am really going to enjoy living here and all it has to offer. But damn it is cold here... (and I know it is only September)

Kshisya
22-09-2003, 08:25
oi dont ya bother better pack and get back home :D it will be DAMN cold VERY soon so you better escape before it started :p

meljomur
22-09-2003, 22:02
Dear your royal highness,

Thank you for your concern, but I am sure I will survive...

DaveUK1965
22-09-2003, 22:51
Ahhhh yes, welcome to Russia, Meljomur !

Can you see what all the comments about Sheremetievo-2 are for, now ? ;-)))) It`s actually made from the grease you find behind the cooker, by the way - they had to harvest it for years. ;-))))

The ceiling mirrors ARE there to keep an eye on everyone, as are the bugs in your hotel. ;-))))) No no, there`s only apparently ONE hotel in Moscow which is brimming with old KGB microphones in the wall...... according to the rumours. ;-)) (Can any Russian reader tell me which one, by the way ?? )))

Yep, great city, isn`t it ? Hope the flat hunting goes well and are you in for a surprise when winter comes ? ;-))) It gets COLD. A number of Russians are killed with the first thaw when six foot icicles fall off the guttering. Last year the Mayor of Moscow, in one of his usual interesting outbursts, advised Russians to go and clear the icicles from the guttering themselves. Prepare for a very cold winter.....

Hope you`re enjoying life in Moscow - great, isn`t it ? ;-))) Lots to see and do, and you`ll soon find out that Russian people, when you get to know them, are wonderful. Well. Most of them. ;-)))) Hope you`re having a good time and - congratulations !!

Dave ;-)))

Originally posted by meljomur
We just arrived in Moscow on Friday and I have already gone through a whole variety of emotions. First I thought the airport was horrible, not the best first impression for visitors and not much of a welcome home for residents. What is going on with the strange ceiling (was it so they could keep an eye on people)???!!!

meljomur
22-09-2003, 23:09
Thanks Dave,

I am actually becoming increasingly excited about living here. I purchased all the appropriate clothing prior to moving, will manage I am sure. Besides my son has never seen snow and I suspect he will love it!!

DaveUK1965
22-09-2003, 23:14
He`s gonna see some SERIOUS snow in a bit, Mel. ;-)))))))))

Russia is great. ;-)) Despite everything, despite all the difficulties in living there (the weather being just one) - there is NO place just like it on earth. ;-))))))))) The pluses outweigh the minuses by a long chalk.

And you definitely begin to understand the value of two things - people and money. ;-))))))))

Have fun and - exciting, isn`t it ? ;-)))))))

Dave ;-)))))

Hermione
22-09-2003, 23:20
they taught us at Hogwarts it was 'Pekin' hotel, Dave :P

trebor
23-09-2003, 05:45
The winter here is far better than the winter back home.
As soon as it goes below freezing point (and that wont be long now!) there is no rain only snow. I don't know about you but i prefere snow any day. Minus 30 sounds scary but actualy its a lot of fun.
Wrap up warm and enjoy!

DaveUK1965
23-09-2003, 08:08
Also the summers are much better than back home, too, Mel. ;-) No humidity (at least not in the South of Russia, where I was) so you don`t feel like you`re being boiled alive. ;-)))))

However, you may want to familiarise yourself with the Russian word "kamari" - "mosquitoes" - they`re all asleep now, bless their little hearts, but when they wake up, put their little bibs on and sharpen up the knives and forks, foreigners are on the top of the menu. ;-)))))

andylip
23-09-2003, 08:33
no, there`s only apparently ONE hotel in Moscow which is brimming with old KGB microphones in the wall...... according to the rumours. ;-)) (Can any Russian reader tell me which one, by the way ?? )))

I'm not Russian... but is it the Hotel Ukraine?

DaveUK1965
23-09-2003, 09:21
Don`t think so ! I think Hermiona`s right. The Ukraina was apparently not used for Westerners.

The rumour has it that a whole hotel was bugged and reserved for visiting businessmen and diplomats - microphones in the walls, and it was pretty blatantly done too. I keep hearing different versions which say one floor was bugged, the whole hotel was bugged.....

Not that we Brits ever did ANYTHING like that with visiting Russian diplomats, of course, oh no. We played the game with a straight bat and three cheers for the other fella...... ;-)))))))))

Hermione
23-09-2003, 09:34
I know Hermiona is right, couldn't be more right :p

In the beginning of 2002 the director of the hotel was shot, died. They say they've left the hotel, but I doubt it indeed. KGB forever!!:D :D

DaveUK1965
23-09-2003, 09:50
Heheee ! That`s what happens when you talk in your sleep, is it ? ;-)))))))

Dave ;-))))

twaj
25-09-2003, 16:43
At JFK the staff is all ugly and usually hispanic. Almost everyone working at Sheremetevo 2 is a hot chic. This is why it is one of my favorite airports, although the 10 ruble bus to Rechnoi Voksal takes forever - I would opt for the 50 ruble bus that goes there directly. Cab drivers will gouge you because you are a Yankee.

Dave - if I was staying briefly in Moscow, I'd probably go with a 100/night whore who let you sleep over. It would be one I'd trusted from before hand. Hooker slumber party!

Of course, if it were me I'd just stay at Marina's apartment on her uncomfortable 15 year old foam mattress that's worn through at the center.

Originally posted by meljomur
We just arrived in Moscow on Friday and I have already gone through a whole variety of emotions. First I thought the airport was horrible, not the best first impression for visitors and not much of a welcome home for residents.

meljomur
25-09-2003, 18:18
hopefully nobody hispanic has read your brilliant insight into airport staff...

natalia_apple
25-09-2003, 18:23
the people at the passport control in Sheremetyeveo might be rude, they're so tired to do the same job again and again,
it really makes terrible first impression
but very many Russian people are very nice to fofeigners,
so, welcome!

meljomur
25-09-2003, 18:35
It wasn't the staff that made a bad impression it was the dirty greasy cake tins (with the bottoms cut out)stuck to the ceiling that made such an impression. Actually I have had MUCH worse experiences with passport control and customs in the US.

natalia_apple
25-09-2003, 18:35
anyway hope you have a goog time here

meljomur
25-09-2003, 18:39
spaceba!

natalia_apple
25-09-2003, 18:43
pozhaluysta

Nastia
26-09-2003, 17:10
It is SPASIBO.

Allenson
27-09-2003, 11:02
Thanks Nastia for that most polite lesson in Russian transliteration - the correct spelling is actually спасибо, and Mel's spelling was much closer to how Moscovites pronounce the word.

Welcome Mel - most expats either love it or hate it, so if you're happy so far it's a good sign. Just remember to have some patience - it's very different here, sometimes bad, sometimes good. ;)

mokliak
27-09-2003, 14:52
Mel;

Moscow is part of the civilized world in the same way that the slums are part of the city. You will recognize many things here as looking familiar, but do not make the mistake in thinking that things will be the same here. You will only be more frustrated.

Better to face the facts early on. This place is wretched. I often wonder why the Russians fought so hard to defend against the Germans. Whoever had that idea was a real idiot.

In the pst sixty years since the war Russia has come up with a failed government and made themselves the trailer park of the world. Germany on the other hand is a country the size of Gerogia in the US and has the third most powerful economy. Good thinking Russia.

This place is horrid but that is actually its charm. Human decency is so rare that when you see it you treasure it and it stands out so vividly against the backdrop of cruelty that is Russia. You come to value your friends, respect free countries more, and appreciate an honest days work. Living here will make YOU a better person...too bad it hasn't done much for the Russians themselves.

murbanski
27-09-2003, 15:08
Geez...that's pretty depressing and bleak, mokliak. I haven't been to Russia yet (arriving in November)...but I do know LOTS of Russians. I count some of them as my closest friends, and have usually found them open, warm, funny, and quiet entertaining once I got to know them. I will agree that sometimes it's a bit harder to get to know a Russian very well, but I've got to say that in my experience the effort has ALWAYS been worth it.

I'm not trying to contradict here, just maybe had different experiences...

M.

DaveUK1965
27-09-2003, 15:10
Given this and Mok`s previous posting on why it was 1-0 in the Cold War to America, I can only assume he`s in a different Russia from the one I know.

In MY Russia - which is untainted by ideas of political ideology - Russia is an amazing country and the city you`re standing in now has 850+ years of history, which even predates McDonalds. Russia has a fantastic cultural, literary and artistic heritage.

Normal Russians, in private, are warm, friendly, open and you will sit around until 3am having the most wonderful conversations with them - their standard of education is second to none and you`ll meet some fantastic friends here. It is a place where - to the average Russian - personal relationships are valued more than possessions, and we perhaps all have something to learn from that in the West.

I could go on. Mokliak, do us all a really big favour. Just explain to us why you`re staying here, if you don`t like it that much ? I thought your post on language, which caused outrage, was ironic. Now I`m pretty sure it wasn`t.

And by the way, 27,000,000 Russians died in the war against fascism, and your comments there are GROSSLY insulting. You`ve proved you know nothing about Russian culture or history apart from what you read in a Joe McCarthy pop up book, so why not get the first flight back to somewhere more suited to your tastes, stop telling 170,000.000 Russians what to do or confine your drivel to Bardak, which is where it belongs ?

meljomur
27-09-2003, 17:34
My experience with the people has been mixed. We are in the process of negotiations on an apartment with a landlord who is (to put it nicely) being a greedy b******. On the other hand the few times I have been on the Metro, someone always gets up and lets me sit down with my young son. This has happened without exception, now this is something I am pretty sure would not happen in London or most places in the US. I think a small gesture like that speaks volumes about the people. I am sure Russia has its problems, but than most big cosmopolitan cities share this plight. We will be here for 3 years so I will just have to adjust to things, learn the language and appreciate the experience.

polly
28-09-2003, 10:33
mokliak kicks ass!

i love his posts! he describes the hate side of that love-hate relationship we all have with moscow. and he does it so well.

he just needs to drink more to sort of numb the effects of wretchedness.

cheers!

Kadett
28-09-2003, 11:07
I often wonder why the Russians fought so hard to defend against the Germans. Whoever had that idea was a real idiot.

Hmm, unfortunately it seems so that ungrateful tossers like you can get up each morning and not have to speak German......I wonder?.:mad:

appreciate an honest days work

Oh yeah I'm sooo sure you work alot harder than the average Russian. If you had to work in jobs for the pay they do you'd be gibbering pile somewhere.

Living here will make YOU a better person...too bad it hasn't done much for the Russians themselves.

Ohhh I'm soooo glad that you slumming it in Moscow with your above Russian level salary has allowed you to improve yourself above the level of the uncivilised Russian peasants. I think you should take the next plane home tosspot:mad:

Buddha_Bob
28-09-2003, 16:54
Hey Mokliak Dude;

I think a story I heard may be interesting to you.

An Old Man was sitting outside the city gates watching people come and go. A traveler approachd and asked, "Old Man, tell me about this city."
The Old Man asked, "What was the city you were in last like?"
The traveler said, "It was wonderful. It had nice people, good shops and the food was excelent.'
The Old Man said, "You will find this place to be much the same."

Another traveler approached and he too asked the Old Man for his thoughts of the city. To him as well the Old Man asked, "What was the last city you were in like."

This traveler said, "It was horrible. The people sucked, the food was aweful and the service was terrible."

"Well I think you will find this place to be much the same."

You carry your bad experiences inside...don't blame a country that is trying its best to overcome their adveristy.

Jet
28-09-2003, 19:02
mokliak:

"I often wonder..." No wonder you marriage to a russian woman doing poorly, if you really think of russians like this, I wish you good luck with another this time non-russian woman :)

DaveUK1965
28-09-2003, 19:16
Bob, that`s an old one, but you`re not wrong there.

I really had to bite my tongue when writing that reply to Mokliak above - the point he`s missed is this - THE WORLD IS ONLY PEOPLE. Bob`s going to love me for this one - personal possessions are ***nothing***. Who you are in life is a lottery. What you make of yourself - in terms of being a person - is the important thing.

What you have in the bank, the car you drive, the house you own are DETAILS and Mok ? You are walking around with your eyes shut, mate.

If you wanted a big house, big flashy car, nice little chunk of suburbia.... what the hell did you come to Russia for ? You have ENTIRELY missed the good point about Russia - the PEOPLE. Privately, they are the best folks in the world - but you will NEVER get to meet them privately as you are NOT in Russia. Not mentally. You are walking around still at home in the US comparing everything to "how it should be".

Not how it IS.

If you ever come down off your high horse and go off and make an effort to understand ***Russia*** and ***Russians*** instead of walking around in some kind of ephemeral, dismissive, superior and arrogant fantasy, you MAY actually enjoy your time in Russia.

If not - don`t bother coming here and spouting ignorance and vitriol about subjects which you obviously are totally ignorant about. What are you after ? A medal for being away from home ? Why the hell did you come here and why the hell don`t you just go BACK home if it`s that bad ????

Originally posted by Buddha_Bob
Hey Mokliak Dude;

An Old Man was sitting outside the city gates watching people come and go. A traveler approachd and asked, "Old Man, tell me about this city."
The traveler said, "It was wonderful. It had nice people, good shops and the food was excelent.'

Another traveler approached and he too asked the Old Man for his thoughts of the city. To him as well the Old Man asked, "What was the last city you were in like."

This traveler said, "It was horrible. The people sucked, the food was aweful and the service was terrible."

You carry your bad experiences inside...don't blame a country that is trying its best to overcome their adveristy.

Mother Russia
29-09-2003, 06:33
Dear /meljomur
welcome to russia
here is some facts it might help you
1) people are very kind and understandable as lons as you are very stupid .
2) Do not think ,,,,it hurts here when you think
3) girls are very tender and nice as long as you have the money ,,,,basically your sexual attractivness will be rises up according to how much $ you got
4 )keep about 200 Rubles always inside your passport ,,,and later you will find out yourself why
5) flats here are really very huge and nice and always the home entrance and the left smells very good ,,,,and i think the land lords or ladys they understand how valubale their flats are ,,,she she will keep telling everytime she comes to cheek her palce,,,,,,"""( that she ownes that place )
6)be sure that every russian person that you will have the chance t meet ,,,will be very helpfull and he will try to know your name and where you come from and why you are here and if there is any chances to make bussiness with you regardless of his share .
7)in case of any pronblems ,,,,do not be worry just be very loud ,,,and they will leave you alone ahha i was almost going to forget that every russian will tell you that he has a great connection with the mafia .
8) i'm sure you will get some more facts from the other members

Wish you nice stay in Russia

Mother Russia
29-09-2003, 06:42
Originally posted by Buddha_Bob
Hey Mokliak Dude;

Good one

ronymo
08-10-2003, 22:30
hey meljomur
welcome to moscow. i'm sorry, i like the place. it has its ups and its downs like anywhere else, fascinating history, architecture and art in general, great culture, good people, bad people, silly people etc. learn the language, it makes a BIG difference.
btw i've heard domodedovo is a really nice airport, never been myself, and also great train connection to paveletsky railway station for 75 rubles (adult).
did yo get the carseat situation sorted out?

meljomur
08-10-2003, 22:46
Never did buy the carseat but our shipment is here now and should be out of customs within the next few days.

The longer I am here the more I like the place, but I am still waiting until we get out of the hotel to form a more realistic view. This should be next week!!!

I am really looking forward to the next couple of years.

DaveUK1965
08-10-2003, 23:44
That`s great. Pheeeeeeeeeew !!!! Nice to hear it. ;-)))